Z051 / Grand Sport questions/advice before purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 10:41 AM
kdochert
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Z051 / Grand Sport questions/advice before purchasing

Hi All,

I'm finally going to pull the trigger and get the car I've been dreaming about for too long, but have some pre purchasing questions following quite a bit of research I've been doing.

So I've narrowed down my selection to either a Z051 or Grand Sport, both with either 2lt or 3lt trim levels. Other than higher cost, the only things concerning me about the Grand Sport are:
1) Reports of bent / cracked wheels? How bad is this really?
2) Does the much wider rubber generate noticeably more road noise? I'm coming from a 370z which is honestly very poor regarding road noise, so bad that I pick tires based on road noise ratings :-)
3) On a positive note, do you think the Grand Sport will generally hold it's value better?

Regarding 2LT vs 3LT, I've read up on the spec differences but still have questions.
1) Navigation comes as part of the 3LT spec, but all 2LT's I've seen advertised say they have Navigation also. Are they referring to the subscription OnStar system or do most 2LT have a true standalone Navigation system? I've also read somewhere that cars equipped with PDR have Navigation as part of that package, is this correct?
2) Regarding durability, is there much difference between the Napa leather on the 3LT vs the Mulan leather on the 2LT? I plan on keeping the car for some time so this is a factor.

Regarding what year to buy.
1) A minor point, but curious when the resolution of the front and rear cameras was reportedly increased? 2018?
2) Is there a particular year that brought a noticeable improvement in reliability, particularly regarding the Auto box if I go that route?

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Old 02-03-2023, 12:02 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

I love my 2019 G S . the last year shouldhavemore of any problem worked out.
The G S will look way cooler and [i m h o ] have a better value down the line.
Yes O E M wheels sometimes crack but not ALL
Tire noise depends on tire choice as in all cars. Run flats are noisier than non.
Let us know what you buy and welcome to the forum!!
The following 2 users liked this post by orca1946:
Bayshore Vette (02-03-2023), Vette Brian (02-06-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Bayshore Vette
@c7gsm7vert

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 369 Posts

Same as above. 2019 GS 2LT M7 Vert and wouldn't change a thing. Many have referred to it as the "sweet spot". The vert does require storage compromise however and should be considered. However, on the flip side the vert with the top down is way quieter with no wind buffeting as does the coupe with the roof off. My 2LT has no Nav ( I prefer Google Maps anyway.), or PDR, which I would never use as I'm not into HPDEs. I believe the 2019 has worked out most of the issues with the GS, except for the wheels. Road noise is minimal and less than my Mazda CX5. The wheels can be an issue depending on where you live/drive, but I get my wheels checked annually and ,so far, no issues. I have the funds for new wheels, but will wait until I have to before replacing them. IMHO, the GS will always provide for better resale value. Good luck with your search and let us know when you pull the trigger! Photos please!
Old 02-03-2023, 01:11 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,067 Posts

No such thing as a "Z051"

Are you considering a Z51 or a Z06 besides the Grand Sport?
Old 02-03-2023, 01:34 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayshore Vette
Same as above. 2019 GS 2LT M7 Vert and wouldn't change a thing. Many have referred to it as the "sweet spot". The vert does require storage compromise however and should be considered. However, on the flip side the vert with the top down is way quieter with no wind buffeting as does the coupe with the roof off. My 2LT has no Nav ( I prefer Google Maps anyway.), or PDR, which I would never use as I'm not into HPDEs. I believe the 2019 has worked out most of the issues with the GS, except for the wheels. Road noise is minimal and less than my Mazda CX5. The wheels can be an issue depending on where you live/drive, but I get my wheels checked annually and ,so far, no issues. I have the funds for new wheels, but will wait until I have to before replacing them. IMHO, the GS will always provide for better resale value. Good luck with your search and let us know when you pull the trigger! Photos please!
Old 02-03-2023, 02:01 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Kevin, welcome to the Corvette Forum!!! I have 2017 GS. Tire noise is noticeable, but not as bad as a 370Z!!!! I run catless x-pipe with NPP exhaust fuse pulled, so I only hear the music of the engine/exhaust. However, when I put the fuse back in and run in Touring mode, I notice the tire noise. Some have mitigated it with sound deadening mats and/or running non-runflat 4S tires.

The cracking wheels issue for GS and Z06 models in significant, but majority of owners will never experience the bends/cracks. I had 2 cracked and one bent during 1st year of ownership and purchased monoblock forged wheels. It does not appear to be a bad batch or anything like that. Some bend wheels on potholes and some bend them for no apparent reason. Just keep in your mind that if you buy GS, you may have this issue and will need aftermarket wheels to fix.

NAV/PDR was an option on the 1LT and 2LT trims. I have it on my 1LT and use for track and use Google Maps mostly for NAV.

As far as holding value, I think all C7s hold their value pretty well, so can't say a Z51 or GS will hold value any better than the other. Good luck with your search and post pics of your purchase when you make a deal.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:47 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,965 Likes on 946 Posts

I've owned a Z51 (and I loved it) and I currently own (2) Grand Sports. Without any hesitation, the Grand Sport is just an overall better ride, performs better, and looks sexier. Nothing wrong with a Z51, but the GS just does everything better. My wife, who knows nothing about cars, got in the Grand Sport and said; "wow what a difference from your other C7"
Old 02-03-2023, 02:48 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by orca1946
I love my 2019 G S . the last year shouldhavemore of any problem worked out.
The G S will look way cooler and [i m h o ] have a better value down the line.
Yes O E M wheels sometimes crack but not ALL
Tire noise depends on tire choice as in all cars. Run flats are noisier than non.
Let us know what you buy and welcome to the forum!!
Thanks, yeah I'm looking at a couple of 2019 GS's this weekend, a bit overpriced right now but I've been waiting for this COVID price hike thing to calm down for 3 years now.

One tires, taking a quick glance in TireRack, there doesn't appear to be many options in the GS's sizes, particularly few non run flats, anyway the road noise has got to be better than my 370z :-).
Old 02-03-2023, 03:00 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bayshore Vette
Thanks for the feedback. I was originally bracketing $40k - $45k for a base model, then I read about the Z51 package and that seemed a no brainer, and now the more I read and hear about the GS the more I like it other than having to sell one of my organs, so I'm now $20k over my original budget .
Old 02-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Kevin,

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find a great car. In case whatever car you look at still has it's original Michelin Pilot Super Sports summer-only run flats (ZP- zero pressure, NON-all season), you'll have a much, much quieter ride if, when the time comes, you replace them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s (still ZP run-flats). I switched in December and the ride noise has lessened greatly.
The following users liked this post:
duckvett (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 03:07 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
No such thing as a "Z051"

Are you considering a Z51 or a Z06 besides the Grand Sport?
Ok Mr Smarty Pants, I think you know I was talking about the Z51 package

As much as I admire the Z06, and I did initially consider it, I've ultimately decided it's too much for me personally.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:15 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by redman76
Hey Kevin, welcome to the Corvette Forum!!! I have 2017 GS. Tire noise is noticeable, but not as bad as a 370Z!!!! I run catless x-pipe with NPP exhaust fuse pulled, so I only hear the music of the engine/exhaust. However, when I put the fuse back in and run in Touring mode, I notice the tire noise. Some have mitigated it with sound deadening mats and/or running non-runflat 4S tires.

The cracking wheels issue for GS and Z06 models in significant, but majority of owners will never experience the bends/cracks. I had 2 cracked and one bent during 1st year of ownership and purchased monoblock forged wheels. It does not appear to be a bad batch or anything like that. Some bend wheels on potholes and some bend them for no apparent reason. Just keep in your mind that if you buy GS, you may have this issue and will need aftermarket wheels to fix.

NAV/PDR was an option on the 1LT and 2LT trims. I have it on my 1LT and use for track and use Google Maps mostly for NAV.

As far as holding value, I think all C7s hold their value pretty well, so can't say a Z51 or GS will hold value any better than the other. Good luck with your search and post pics of your purchase when you make a deal.
Thanks Redman, if I do get a wheel failure (see how I've already made my mind up on the GS) I'd go straight to aftermarket wheels also for piece of mind more than anything.

This weekend will be my first real look around at all the cars I've been scouting online so let's see. So far dealers are not budging on prices much, and some still charging stupid "dealer fees" that become the rage during covid with car shortages
Old 02-03-2023, 03:33 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mayor111
I've owned a Z51 (and I loved it) and I currently own (2) Grand Sports. Without any hesitation, the Grand Sport is just an overall better ride, performs better, and looks sexier. Nothing wrong with a Z51, but the GS just does everything better. My wife, who knows nothing about cars, got in the Grand Sport and said; "wow what a difference from your other C7"
Another +1 for the GS it seems, It's convincing how consistent the message is on this, taking a great car and making it even better with the GS edition.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-03-2023, 03:42 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Catfish4818
Kevin,

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find a great car. In case whatever car you look at still has it's original Michelin Pilot Super Sports summer-only run flats (ZP- zero pressure, NON-all season), you'll have a much, much quieter ride if, when the time comes, you replace them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s (still ZP run-flats). I switched in December and the ride noise has lessened greatly.
Thanks Catfish.

Can't say I'm a big fan of run flats in general, but it seems the trend right now, and who knows one day I might be praising them for getting me out of a pickle.

So can I ask how many miles you got out of your Pilot Super Sports and are you not missing the grip after moving to the All Seasons?
Old 02-03-2023, 03:59 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Had a 2015 Z51 2LT A8 and traded for a 19 GS 2LT A8 that has navigation and PDR (Personal Data Recorder) as you have to buy the navigation to get the PDR. Read a lot on the wheels and have no known problem with mine but ordered Forged wheels for a 40 lb sprung weight savings and looks. Love the wide body and I think the GS will hold its value better.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:45 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
Had a 2015 Z51 2LT A8 and traded for a 19 GS 2LT A8 that has navigation and PDR (Personal Data Recorder) as you have to buy the navigation to get the PDR. Read a lot on the wheels and have no known problem with mine but ordered Forged wheels for a 40 lb sprung weight savings and looks. Love the wide body and I think the GS will hold its value better.
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for answering the Nav / PDR question.

Regarding wheels, here must be a lot of 2nd hand OEM wheels on the market then, but yeah I'd still go forged monoblock aftermarket wheels if I encountered any problems, so good to have $5k in the piggy bank then!
Old 02-03-2023, 04:45 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,816 Likes on 5,636 Posts

Pretty much agree with other's comments. Both Z51 and GS are great sportscars. I do prefer the exotic looks of the wide-body and additional performance features of the GS. If road noise is of concern the C7 convertible rides much quieter than the coupe. As far as 2LT vs 3LT, definitely search 3LT leather dash delamination issues. Hundreds of posts and threads regarding the condition on this forum. About a $3500 repair. Good luck with your hunt

Differences between the Z51 and GS:
Z16 GS Performance Package features (added $10,000 @MSRP): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

Z51 Performance Package features (added $5,000 @ MSRP): Performance brakes; Black painted calibers; Slotted brake rotors; Dry sump oil system, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars; NPP exhaust; performance gear ratios, Electronic Limited-slip differential; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler and Areo package.

Get notified of new replies

To Z051 / Grand Sport questions/advice before purchasing

Old 02-03-2023, 05:02 PM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by kdochert
Thanks Catfish.

Can't say I'm a big fan of run flats in general, but it seems the trend right now, and who knows one day I might be praising them for getting me out of a pickle.

So can I ask how many miles you got out of your Pilot Super Sports and are you not missing the grip after moving to the All Seasons?
Kevin,

The tires had just under 19,000 miles, and they had tread remaining; I was more concerned with the fact that they were eight years old.

I bought the all season tires because I I wanted traction in cold temperatures and on cold road surfaces that the summer-only tires would not provide. I'd had occasions where the rear end would break loose in cold temps. I live in central Virginia (Richmond area) and I'll drive the car in the cold months, assuming the roads are clean and dry (we usually get very little, if any, snow during the season).

I haven't, and won't, use the car on a track. I understand that if that was in my plans, then yes, the summer-only tires would give me better performance. So, no, I'm not missing the grip in that regard.

I'm very happy with my choice. Good luck with whatever you end up with! As others have said, post pics!

Larry
kdochert (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 05:24 PM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

2019 and no cracked wheels yet ! I never let that figure into my decision, I wanted the look of the wide body !

kdochert (02-04-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 05:56 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by kdochert
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for answering the Nav / PDR question.

Regarding wheels, here must be a lot of 2nd hand OEM wheels on the market then, but yeah I'd still go forged monoblock aftermarket wheels if I encountered any problems, so good to have $5k in the piggy bank then!

Nice to be able to do it. Gas saved on accelerating will pay for them in 5 billion miles +-. Will have a set of stock wheels available soon for GS in SW FL after I get my new forged wheels. Will be bare as no tpms tires or centers $1200 cash pick up only. If they do not sell making couch end tables for my man cave.

Oem wheels

kdochert (02-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Z051 / Grand Sport questions/advice before purchasing