Old 02-02-2023, 07:00 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Battery x 2

Here is my battery x 2 saga. I started noticing that sometimes the door pad wouldn’t work to unlock the car. After a few presses on the remote it would unlock. A few days later the remote wouldn’t work at all.

So I went out and got a new CR 2032 and and replaced the fob battery. Still wouldn’t work. 🙁 coincidentally I had also noticed that as of late the engine seemed to turn over slower than normal. Now my car is a 2014 and still had the original A/C Delco battery. In 2 months the battery would be 9 years old!

So, I decided to replace the battery as I know once they start to go bad strange things can happen and also because of the age factor. I’ve never had a battery last that long. I do religiously use the factory maintainer that came with the car and I do believe that helped a lot.

Anyway, I bought a Diehard with 730 cca.. Much more than the stock Delco. It was a direct fit but changing the battery is a real pain but I did manage to get it done. So I button everything up and the fob still does nothing. 🤬

Well I was perplexed. So I thought, well sometimes new batteries can be bad so after my wife got home I went and bought another CR2032 and changed the fob battery again. This time the remote worked fine. So yes, a new battery can be bad. Just to check I used my volt meter to check both batteries. The first one I bought checked at 2.95 volts. The second was 3.23 volts. Doesn’t sound like a big difference but it was.

Now I’m wondering just how long the OEM battery would have lasted. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-04-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 07:21 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,027 Likes on 840 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well you sure got your moneys worth out of that first one. Now you should be set to go another 9 years!
The following 3 users liked this post by CorvetteMike2024:
Bayshore Vette (02-03-2023), NortonCO (02-03-2023), Vette Jockey (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

IMO, you were living on borrowed time for your car's battery - nearly nine years is an exceptional run and best to do some preventative maintenance before it left you stranded somewhere.
NortonCO (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 08:46 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts

You only have to lose .1 to .2 volts on the Cr2032 for the Fob to not work.
Just the nature of the generation of the electronics inside.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:37 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,823 Likes on 5,638 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
Here is my battery x 2 saga. I started noticing that sometimes the door pad wouldn’t work to unlock the car. After a few presses on the remote it would unlock. A few days later the remote wouldn’t work at all.

So I went out and got a new CR 2032 and and replaced the fob battery. Still wouldn’t work. 🙁 coincidentally I had also noticed that as of late the engine seemed to turn over slower than normal. Now my car is a 2014 and still had the original A/C Delco battery. In 2 months the battery would be 9 years old!

So, I decided to replace the battery as I know once they start to go bad strange things can happen and also because of the age factor. I’ve never had a battery last that long. I do religiously use the factory maintainer that came with the car and I do believe that helped a lot.

Anyway, I bought a Diehard with 730 cca.. Much more than the stock Delco. It was a direct fit but changing the battery is a real pain but I did manage to get it done. So I button everything up and the fob still does nothing. 🤬

Well I was perplexed. So I thought, well sometimes new batteries can be bad so after my wife got home I went and bought another CR2032 and changed the fob battery again. This time the remote worked fine. So yes, a new battery can be bad. Just to check I used my volt meter to check both batteries. The first one I bought checked at 2.95 volts. The second was 3.23 volts. Doesn’t sound like a big difference but it was.

The original Delco 48PG should have been more like 770CCA, 40 more CCA than the Diehard.
Curious as to why you replaced the Delco that had given you such good service (9years) with a Diehard?

CorvetteMike2024 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:27 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts

It is common to have "new" batteries that don't work in our fobs. Especially when buying in bulk from questionable manufacturers. Even some name brand batteries have problems.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:31 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,242 Likes on 3,474 Posts

I always tell people to check any "new" battery before installing in anything. I don't know where you got your FOB batteries, but I stopped buying at a large national chain because I got bad ones twice in a row. Glad you've learned; wish I could have saved you the trouble. Oh, you got your $$$ worth from your car battery no matter what.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:14 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I had a similar experience with my 2004 LeMans convertible, replaced the original battery in 2013 suspecting it was defective. Replaced the original battery and found I still had the same problem as I was having with the original battery. But too late, it was already gone . . . .

I do remember telling my parts guy that I wanted one just like the one I replaced since it had lasted 9 years. He replied that he could sell me one but no way that it would last as long as the OE battery. Stated that none of the replacement batteries lasted as long as OE batteries in his experience, even when they were purported to be the same brand/model # as the original. Had no explanation for why, just his experience over the years in selling batteries . . . . . .

Go figure

My 2016 still has the original battery, kept on the maintainer, which I think is why I had a problem with the 2005, no maintainer being used at the time.
Just a guess on my part, but I'll do further checking on the 2016 if I begin to have problems . . . . .
Old 02-04-2023, 08:18 AM
motofun352
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just for comparison, I'm over 11 years on my F350 diesel dually batteries (ie 2). I keep them on a battery tender if I'm not using the truck for a week or more. The truck lives in an unheated barn and other than the tender it doesn't get pampered like my vette.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:35 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,823 Likes on 5,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I had a similar experience with my 2004 LeMans convertible, replaced the original battery in 2013 suspecting it was defective. Replaced the original battery and found I still had the same problem as I was having with the original battery. But too late, it was already gone . . . .

I do remember telling my parts guy that I wanted one just like the one I replaced since it had lasted 9 years. He replied that he could sell me one but no way that it would last as long as the OE battery. Stated that none of the replacement batteries lasted as long as OE batteries in his experience, even when they were purported to be the same brand/model # as the original. Had no explanation for why, just his experience over the years in selling batteries . . . . . .

Go figure

My 2016 still has the original battery, kept on the maintainer, which I think is why I had a problem with the 2005, no maintainer being used at the time.
Just a guess on my part, but I'll do further checking on the 2016 if I begin to have problems . . . . .
I purchased, sold, warranted literally thousands of automotive, truck and equipment batteries through my auto parts store chain for 16 years and I can tell you from experience that your 'parts guy' statement is total nonsense.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:28 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7

just basically did the exact same thing. Battery is 8 years old. But I took it out and took it to be tested. Tested good. So I changed the battery in the fob again and everything is great. I do the same use the Vette maintainer when not driving car. I wonder how long the battery will last.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:11 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I just changed original battery in my 2014 which was still running strong. I just did it because I start worrying about it failing, but the car never gave any sign the battery was giving up. I kind of wanted to see just how long it would go, but didn’t want to get stranded.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:47 AM
76-Vetteman
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 363 Posts

I wonder if some of these cars with long life batteries are low mileage cars. My Z51 has 28K miles and I believe my battery may be original, too. The prev-owner always had it serviced at the dealership where I bought the car, but there were no records of a battery change.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery x 2

Quick Reply: Battery x 2