Sponsored by:

GM Nav Disc update v.2023 just released for $99

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 05:12 PM
Raidercop
Racer

Received 354 Likes on 154 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine just arrived today. I'll update it tomorrow. Curious what changes are there since my car is a 2019
The following users liked this post:
sprink94 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 05:24 PM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidercop
Mine just arrived today. I'll update it tomorrow. Curious what changes are there since my car is a 2019
Cool!!

I just read thru the user manual and was sort of surprised that it takes 50 minutes to install with the car running outside in the open. They are also emphatic about DO NOT DRIVE during the update despite the fact that the screen instructions may indicate that it's ok to do so !!

Instructions are very specific !!
Old 10-02-2022, 05:31 PM
Raidercop
Racer

Received 354 Likes on 154 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by sprink94
Cool!!

I just read thru the user manual and was sort of surprised that it takes 50 minutes to install with the car running outside in the open. They are also emphatic about DO NOT DRIVE during the update despite the fact that the screen instructions may indicate that it's ok to do so !!

yeah I noticed that. And then they want you to look up that specific address at the end. Interesting
Old 10-02-2022, 07:45 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

My 2014 had its HMI module replaced - it has much nicer maps than the original did. I can't help but wonder if I order the thumb drive for my VIN, will I get the update for the original module and not be able to update...
Old 10-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Ordered the update on Sept 29 and it was waiting for us when we got home this afternoon.
Hoping that GM will keep making updates forever, but want to have the most recent for sure.

Today we drove from Road America WI back to our home in northern IL, just following back roads that we expected to be curvy and scenic. They were. We didn't enter a route, just started the engine and made a "that looks like a good road" decision corner-by-corner as we traveled. We could have done that with most any GPS, but the large screen, good graphics, and easy zoom in-out of the factory unit by either wife or I, made it more relaxing. We keep our Waze and Googlemaps too, but sometimes lazy and simple wins out.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:32 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 642 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink94
Cool!!

I've done a couple of the updates on my 2017 Z06, and I don't think it took 50 minutes.

I mean, it wasn't quick, but it didn't take nearly an hour.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:47 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Disappointing this is only a map upgrade and not the whole infotainment os system. I'm spoiled with my Ford truck and free sync upgrades.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:20 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,509 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Profit
Disappointing this is only a map upgrade and not the whole infotainment os system. I'm spoiled with my Ford truck and free sync upgrades.
Your point is well-taken, but what year is your truck? More accurately, what generation of SYNC do you have?

Early SYNC iterations, made by Microsoft, leave a LOT to be desired. Updates were few, all came much later than promised, and none truly fixed the issues they were supposed to address. True to form for Microsoft, the closest we got was addition of a a Reboot/Restart button. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, anyone?) The Infotainment system in my '19 Z06 is SO much better than the "fully patched" SYNC in my '13 GT500!

Last edited by NortonCO; 10-04-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Elk (10-05-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:20 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Profit
Worst part about the C7 now is the dated infotainment.
Profit (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:28 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NortonCO
Your point is well-taken, but what year is your truck? More accurately, what generation of SYNC do you have?

Early SYNC iterations, made by Microsoft, leave a LOT to be desired. Updates were few, all came much later than promised, and none truly fixed the issues they were supposed to address. True to form for Microsoft, the closest we got was additional of a a Reboot/Restart button. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, anyone?) The Infotainment system in my '19 Z06 is SO much better than the "fully patched" SYNC in my '13 GT500!

2016 F150 running sync 3.4. Vs 2014 C7

Last edited by Profit; 10-03-2022 at 05:38 PM.
NortonCO (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:55 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 642 Likes on 427 Posts

No notification from GM yet . . . . .
Old 10-04-2022, 12:56 PM
vetterich
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I think I wasted $99 with this update. Did the update yesterday and it took an hour 15 minutes with the car running in the driveway not a big deal but a bit longer than stated. Also instructions say not to drive the car while updating but message screen during the update says you can drive the car. WTF??

So I live a mile from the interstate and our exit is being reconfigured. Going from clover leaf to one ramp from each direction. I drove out to the highway with Nav running and it shows the old configuration. Waze had the new route up in a day after they started. So with the info that Nav shows if I was coming from the south and wanted to get off to go south on the cross road I would have missed the exit and had to go 10 miles up the road to the next exit. Goofy. But the big problem for me is if the closet interchange to me is not correct, how many others are messed up?

Can I trust this not to get me lost or in an accident?? I had noticed this summer a number of vehicles pulling campers making some crazy evasive maneuvers at my exit and now I have to wonder were they using GM Nav?? And trying to get off an exit that didn't exist anymore. There's a State Park at our exit.

It was fun for a minute but I think it was $99 down the drain
Old 10-04-2022, 01:21 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetterich
Well I think I wasted $99 with this update. Did the update yesterday and it took an hour 15 minutes with the car running in the driveway not a big deal but a bit longer than stated. Also instructions say not to drive the car while updating but message screen during the update says you can drive the car. WTF??

So I live a mile from the interstate and our exit is being reconfigured. Going from clover leaf to one ramp from each direction. I drove out to the highway with Nav running and it shows the old configuration. Waze had the new route up in a day after they started. So with the info that Nav shows if I was coming from the south and wanted to get off to go south on the cross road I would have missed the exit and had to go 10 miles up the road to the next exit. Goofy. But the big problem for me is if the closet interchange to me is not correct, how many others are messed up?

Can I trust this not to get me lost or in an accident?? I had noticed this summer a number of vehicles pulling campers making some crazy evasive maneuvers at my exit and now I have to wonder were they using GM Nav?? And trying to get off an exit that didn't exist anymore. There's a State Park at our exit.

With all due respect, your expectation that packaged/static GPS updates include what sounds like ongoing construction is unrealistic. EVERY packaged/static GPS update I've ever loaded lags current events by at least a year or two. The same is, in fact, true of whatever map version comes pre-loaded when buying a NEW GPS-equipped vehicle. (I wish it weren't so, but it is).

Getting temporarily lost is always a possibility, but I've never found it to last long with GPS. I'm confused about how/why GPS of ANY generation/currency would cause you (or anyone else) to get in an accident. Driver attention to real-time road conditions and signage, even when using the most up-to-date GPS systems, is ALWAYS required.
Elk (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 02:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by vetterich

Your post is unclear; did you finish the update and then start driving, or did you drive while the update was still inprogress?
I know that real men like us don't read instructions, but the first paragraph in the printed instructions with the update says that the vehicle must remain "...in Park during the entire installation", and the second paragraph says to ignore the screen message that says you can drive during the update.
In previous years, people have posted here that they drove during the update, and they didn't report any problems. But I suppose you can't count on it.

Either way, NortonCO is unfortunately correct; any GPS that doesn't update constantly over the internet, is months out of date before it gets mailed to you. Other systems like Google Maps will be much more up to date but not perfect. I've had Google take me to a bank office that had been closed a year, and Waze tried to take me down a street in St. Louis that had been closed for so long that the concrete barricade had a tree growing out of it!

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-04-2022 at 02:35 PM.
NortonCO (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 02:36 PM
frogman1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not have to keep the car running to install. I've said it on other posts that you can put the car in maintenance mode "not accesary mode" to install. It will not turn off until you push the start button again. I have installed a couple of map updates this way so I know it works.
NortonCO (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 02:54 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by golden2husky
My 2014 had its HMI module replaced - it has much nicer maps than the original did. I can't help but wonder if I order the thumb drive for my VIN, will I get the update for the original module and not be able to update...

I upgraded my 2014 to the 2017. I just checked with the people that I got the updated equipment from and they said I could update my system. THey even gave me the link for the correct upgrade USB.

https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/pro...en_US/GMNA/USD

I placed my order about 5 minutes ago. I used my VIN.

Elmer
Old 10-04-2022, 02:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

EDIT

After completing the update as per instructions, I tried to verify it by finding the new POI they list. I couldn't get it to come up. Tried different methods, no luck.
Drove home and parked in garage, came back an hour later and tried again- this time it verified and everything worked.
Never trust an electron.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-04-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Nav Disc update v.2023 just released for $99

Old 10-04-2022, 03:02 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by frogman1
You do not have to keep the car running to install. I've said it on other posts that you can put the car in maintenance mode "not accesary mode" to install. It will not turn off until you push the start button again. I have installed a couple of map updates this way so I know it works.
It's called Service Mode, as described on pg 181 in the 2019 Owner's Manual...

Old 10-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

^^^^^

I wonder how long the battery will last in Service Mode?
Connecting a charger might be prudent, but I just let it idle.
NortonCO (10-04-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 12:00 AM
NortonCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
^^^^^

I wonder how long the battery will last in Service Mode?
Connecting a charger might be prudent, but I just let it idle.
I go with the former, as mine's on the CTEK smartcharger whenever it's parked in the garage.
Carvin (10-05-2022)

Quick Reply: GM Nav Disc update v.2023 just released for $99