Magride Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 03:48 PM
Jbyrd43
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Magride Update

I have a 2016 z51, FE4 suspension.
I went to dealer A for the magride update and they had no idea what I was talking about. Looked at my car for an hour and sent me home.
I went to dealer B, they recommended against it since “if there isn’t a problem you don’t need a software update” but did it anyway.
Now, I got home and went to check if it was done through https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ and it doesn’t look like it’s updated? Does it take some time
to update on the site?
Im showing OS 23201895, part 23207813

Old 08-30-2022, 04:17 PM
ICONIC7
Pro

Received 527 Likes on 279 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...as-done-2.html

This is an older thread but might give you some answers.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:03 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

I have no experience with the old software but the folks that have done the upgrade seem to feel that it was worth the effort. My 2019 came with the newer software and I’m very happy with it.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:54 PM
Jbyrd43
Racer

Originally Posted by ICONIC7
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...as-done-2.html

This is an older thread but might give you some answers.
Thanks. This thread is actually how I stumbled upon searching if it was done. I'm more curious if it should show instant on the site or in a few days or something. It feels like it's softer... but it also could be in my head.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:14 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Received 492 Likes on 223 Posts

I believe there's a waiting period after it is performed for it to fully calibrate. I'm going Thursday to have my 2014 Z51 done. The scheduler sounded confused when I set up the appointment but this is the largest Corvette dealer in Oklahoma so I hope they know what's going on.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:59 PM
Jbyrd43
Racer

Originally Posted by Buddhaman
I believe there's a waiting period after it is performed for it to fully calibrate. I'm going Thursday to have my 2014 Z51 done. The scheduler sounded confused when I set up the appointment but this is the largest Corvette dealer in Oklahoma so I hope they know what's going on.
Yeah, it's supposed to sit for 10 hours, so I am hoping it updates tomorrow. I am just concerned because they didn't know what. However it's a pretty big dealer in south florida as well and they have a designated corvette tech... so I hope it's right. I did feel a difference though.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:39 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,524 Likes on 867 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

I left it overnight, because, I was doing the Tranny Flush and the Magnetic Ride Upgrade. I could really feel the difference when I picked it up.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,378 Likes on 14,023 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully the update will show as completed today. From what I have read, the update is worth it.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:12 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Jbyrd43
Yeah, it's supposed to sit for 10 hours, so I am hoping it updates tomorrow. I am just concerned because they didn't know what. However it's a pretty big dealer in south florida as well and they have a designated corvette tech... so I hope it's right. I did feel a difference though.
Had mine "done" this morning. Took the bulletin with me for their tech in case there was any confusion. Nothing showing in TIS yet so I'll check again another day. I feel like it felt different but I want to verify.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:22 PM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Hopefully the update will show as completed today. From what I have read, the update is worth it.
It was for me (2017 Z06), especially the Tour mode, which is now very nice.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Rctreece
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbyrd43
I have a 2016 z51, FE4 suspension.
I went to dealer A for the magride update and they had no idea what I was talking about. Looked at my car for an hour and sent me home.
I went to dealer B, they recommended against it since “if there isn’t a problem you don’t need a software update” but did it anyway.
Now, I got home and went to check if it was done through https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ and it doesn’t look like it’s updated? Does it take some time
to update on the site?
Im showing OS 23201895, part 23207813
Both of mine showed up right after they were done. The last car I had it done to they did the same and updated the software but that is not what you want done. I found it best to explain this is a performance part like an exhaust but it is software only and give them the GM bulletin on it.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:50 AM
Buddhaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Rctreece
Both of mine showed up right after they were done. The last car I had it done to they did the same and updated the software but that is not what you want done. I found it best to explain this is a performance part like an exhaust but it is software only and give them the GM bulletin on it.
Gave the bulletin to the tech and doesn't look like they followed it. Checked TIS yesterday after it was "done" and today, still the old numbers. Left a low review on their feedback e-mail so I'll see if anyone reaches out about it.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,954 Likes on 5,345 Posts

You have to remember this is a strange process for most dealerships. They are used to doing maintenance updates and their bias will be to default to that type of thinking while not really listening to what you are telling them. They are also used to dealing with DIM BULB Customers that demand all sorts of things without knowing what they are talking about and you need to avoid being categorized as such. That means you have to work with them to get them to understand they have to call GM to get the software upgrade package.

Did you provide the dealership with the proper information so the mechanic doing the job could understand what has to be done and make sure the mechanic got the information and confirmed to you they understood the task? Just talking to the Service Writer can result in failure because they are the least likely to understand what has to be done. If you can't make any headway then ask to see the Dealer's Service Manager and bring the subject up with them.

Make sure you have the following information with you. Print it out and make sure they read and understand the portion with the yellow arrows.

Now here is a possible hitch to the process. For some reason, GM tends to roll part numbers for what seems to be mysterious reasons. The part numbers listed in this document may have been changed. When doing a Google Search for 84353676 I found a link to Chevy Performance Upgrades on the Chevy Website:
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...tte/suspension once you go to that link you need to scroll down until you hit the magnetic ride upgrade.

As a Professor of Communication told me "Communication is an Unnatural Act".

Bill
Old 09-02-2022, 09:55 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You have to remember this is a strange process for most dealerships. They are used to doing maintenance updates and their bias will be to default to that type of thinking while not really listening to what you are telling them. They are also used to dealing with DIM BULB Customers that demand all sorts of things without knowing what they are talking about and you need to avoid being categorized as such. That means you have to work with them to get them to understand they have to call GM to get the software upgrade package.

Did you provide the dealership with the proper information so the mechanic doing the job could understand what has to be done and make sure the mechanic got the information and confirmed to you they understood the task? Just talking to the Service Writer can result in failure because they are the least likely to understand what has to be done. If you can't make any headway then ask to see the Dealer's Service Manager and bring the subject up with them.

Make sure you have the following information with you. Print it out and make sure they read and understand the portion with the yellow arrows.

Now here is a possible hitch to the process. For some reason, GM tends to roll part numbers for what seems to be mysterious reasons. The part numbers listed in this document may have been changed. When doing a Google Search for 84353676 I found a link to Chevy Performance Upgrades on the Chevy Website:
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...tte/suspension once you go to that link you need to scroll down until you hit the magnetic ride upgrade.

As a Professor of Communication told me "Communication is an Unnatural Act".

Bill
handed that bulletin to the Corvette service advisor first thing. The dealers response to me was there could be a delay in the TIS updating but some folks have said it’s instant or next day for theirs to show. I’ll wait a few more days and see since that’s the only way for me to know without having a dealer tool to read values.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:11 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 923 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
I have no experience with the old software but the folks that have done the upgrade seem to feel that it was worth the effort. My 2019 came with the newer software and I’m very happy with it.
Just curious, what are you comparing it to?
Old 09-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Had ours done a year or so ago on our '17 GS, didn't notice any difference.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:40 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruouthere
Had ours done a year or so ago on our '17 GS, didn't notice any difference.
That usually means they did it wrong.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
Leroyt10 (09-05-2022), madrob2020 (09-04-2022), Vette Jockey (09-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Magride Update

Old 09-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
Just curious, what are you comparing it to?
I’m comparing it to itself and to the Mag Ride on my C6 GS.
As compared to itself I’ve noted three distinct behaviors when in Touring, Sport and Track. There is a significant tightening of the suspension and steering response is very crisp in Sport and even more so in Track.

Compared to my old C6 there is no comparison. The Mag Ride on the C6 had a Tour and Sport mode but you couldn’t tell the difference between the two positions.

As to the difference before and after, as I previously mentioned, the folks that have done the upgrade have generally reported positively on it.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 09-06-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,954 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I had it done on my 2015 as soon as it became available in 2018. The dealer mechanic insisted on keeping the car overnight after downloading the update. When I drove it home I noticed a difference right away. There was a section of road with sun/traffic-distorted pavement with lots of small pavement heaves that were particularly harsh when riding over them in Tour Mode with the Z07 suspension. I noticed much less harshness when riding over the bumps than I did a few days earlier. It doesn't change Tour into a pillow ride it just smoothes out the sudden change/high-frequency bump that is so annoying.

Bill
Old 09-04-2022, 06:25 PM
DoubleG
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Are they still charging $350?

Quick Reply: Magride Update