C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used C7-What should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 02:22 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Looking at used C7-What should I look out for?

Hello Forum Members,

C6 here, just ran across a 2016 Coupe Z51 Mag Ride, 2LT, auto tranny, chrome wheels, one owner, with 11,900 miles. Dealer said they bought it locally from an individual and it was a weekend driver.

I looked it all over, couldn't find any damage, scrapes, etc. I noticed the owner's manual, build sheet, nor window sticker were with the vehicle. I looked in the rear storage compartment and there were two silver discs (what are these?) along with the fuel spout. I also looked in the rear battery compartment and the foam piece over the battery looked like it was supposed to have a tow hook with it? If so, that was missing. It did have two car covers in the hatch area.

I didn't have time to drive it, but what should I look out for mechanically, quirks, etc.

I seem to remember there was some shutter that would happen with the AFM kicked on and off?

The asking price was $59,000, so any advice or information you could offer would be appreciated!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:18 PM
ICONIC7
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I can at least help you with one of your questions. The foam piece above the battery is supposed to hold a tow hook, however they were not actually shipped with the cars, so your not technically missing it. Hard to tell what the silver discs are but maybe jacking pucks? There are multiple threads on the A8 issues. Here is just one for example. Good luck with your decision, sounds like a nice car overall.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nny-flush.html
Old 08-12-2022, 03:24 PM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Originally Posted by surburban99
Hello Forum Members,

C6 here, just ran across a 2016 Coupe Z51 Mag Ride, 2LT, auto tranny, chrome wheels, one owner, with 11,900 miles. Dealer said they bought it locally from an individual and it was a weekend driver.

I looked it all over, couldn't find any damage, scrapes, etc. I noticed the owner's manual, build sheet, nor window sticker were with the vehicle.No problem. Owner's manuals are available from Helm, helminc.com; window stickers are at the National Corvette Museum: https://www.corvettemuseum.org/libra...ndow-stickers/

I looked in the rear storage compartment and there were two silver discs (what are these?) along with the fuel spout. See this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...age-compt.html

I also looked in the rear battery compartment and the foam piece over the battery looked like it was supposed to have a tow hook with it? If so, that was missing. Nope, not missing. The tow hook would be stored there, but was only provided on European-delivered cars.

It did have two car covers in the hatch area.

I didn't have time to drive it, but what should I look out for mechanically, quirks, etc.

I seem to remember there was some shutter that would happen with the AFM kicked on and off? You may be referring to the A8 shuddering if it hasn't had the 'triple flush' with new fluid. That can cost from $600 to $900, depending on dealership. The AFM is a separate issue, eliminated by using a Range device: https://www.rangetechnology.com/prod...-dfm_disabler/.

The asking price was $59,000, so any advice or information you could offer would be appreciated! For comparison, in December we bought a 2015 Z51 A8 2LT mag ride coupe, chrome wheels, with 13,000 miles for $54,000. Basically identical to what you're looking at.
See my info in BOLD above. Sounds like a great car (though I'm biased ). What colors?
The following 2 users liked this post by Catfish4818:
CorvetteMike2024 (08-12-2022), robw2p (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 03:31 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Hello Forum Members,

I looked it all over, couldn't find any damage, scrapes, etc. I noticed the owner's manual, build sheet, nor window sticker were with the vehicle. I looked in the rear storage compartment and there were two silver discs (what are these?) along with the fuel spout. I also looked in the rear battery compartment and the foam piece over the battery looked like it was supposed to have a tow hook with it? If so, that was missing. It did have two car covers in the hatch area.

I seem to remember there was some shutter that would happen with the AFM kicked on and off?

The asking price was $59,000, so any advice or information you could offer would be appreciated!
Sounds a little high in price. Does it come with an extended warranty? See if they'll take $55 000? The dealer can fill in the blanks about your accessories and history of the car. Sounds like a nice low mileage car!👍

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-12-2022 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
73Vette21 (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 03:36 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Most dealers supply a CarFax That will tell you the history including Service. GM dealer can also get the Warranty history. You can download a pdf of the owners manual for free from GM. You will rely on the PDF and not worry about a paper one.

Last edited by Richard Ames; 08-12-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:54 PM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Excellent point on the extended warranty mentioned by Joe. I bought one with ours (from CarMax) and am reaping the benefits right now, as the car is at Hendrick Chevrolet to replace the infotainment screen unit and water pump.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Raidercop
Racer

Received 354 Likes on 154 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Check to see if there is any dash board leather peeling. See if the tire wear looks even. I would also look at the drivers door sill. IMO, if it's clean and not all scratched up the previous owner was even careful how he/she entered/exited the vehicle. Good luck with it, sounds great!
Old 08-12-2022, 05:01 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,243 Likes on 3,474 Posts

The first thing to do is disregard everything after this, "Dealer said..." I would want some evidence/documentation of everything claimed about the car. If it's really from a local there should be service records or something. What of the GM records? And, Carfax at the very least? I'm concerned the usual items (e.g., the Manual) are not with the car. That is suspicious, imho. The thing is 6-years old and such vehicles are always something of a risk, even if not a sports/performance car. And, do NOT buy anything without driving it first... period! All the best.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:25 PM
Rayland
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

OP:

Buy the newest C7/C8 Stingray you can afford regardless!

Note: Always drive it first, it is second hand after all.

Many thanks,

Ray
Mineolajoe (08-15-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,441 Likes on 14,050 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Drive the car - an extended drive is best to see how the car performs under a variety of situations.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:14 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
Most dealers supply a CarFax That will tell you the history including Service. GM dealer can also get the Warranty history. You can download a pdf of the owners manual for free from GM. You will rely on the PDF and not worry about a paper one.
The salesman gave me something similar to a CarFax, it was call "AutoCheck" Vehicle History Report. Didn't show any service records, just when it was purchased, tags renewed. No accidents were shown on the report
Old 08-12-2022, 09:16 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Catfish4818
See my info in BOLD above. Sounds like a great car (though I'm biased ). What colors?
Blade silver with black interior. Same as my C6
Catfish4818 (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:20 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Catfish4818
Excellent point on the extended warranty mentioned by Joe. I bought one with ours (from CarMax) and am reaping the benefits right now, as the car is at Hendrick Chevrolet to replace the infotainment screen unit and water pump.
Good suggestions, this vehicle is located at the local BMW dealer.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:05 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leo581
I can at least help you with one of your questions. The foam piece above the battery is supposed to hold a tow hook, however they were not actually shipped with the cars, so your not technically missing it. Hard to tell what the silver discs are but maybe jacking pucks? There are multiple threads on the A8 issues. Here is just one for example. Good luck with your decision, sounds like a nice car overall.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nny-flush.html
Sorry, should have been clearer. They were two flat/thin silver rings about 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:50 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,476 Likes on 745 Posts

DALE#3 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 11:02 AM
vbb
Racer

Received 387 Likes on 170 Posts

The salesman gave me something similar to a CarFax, it was call "AutoCheck" Vehicle History Report. Didn't show any service records, just when it was purchased, tags renewed. No accidents were shown on the report
Others have hit the highlights and answered your questions so I won't repeat them, but I would suggest if you're close to buying this car you also run the VIN through CarFax yourself (or ask them to do it for you). AutoCheck and CarFax are essentially the same type of service, but sometimes something shows up on one of them but not the other, so I'd want to run both just to be sure there's no surprises.

Sounds like the price is average to high-average in today's current market, but not so crazy high that you'll regret the purchase if this car checks all of your boxes. As another poster mentioned, $55K would feel better. But then again, if they're offering big money for your trade in, it's a wash.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:57 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Good suggestions, this vehicle is located at the local BMW dealer.
So, there's NO extended warranty.....??

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at used C7-What should I look out for?

Old 08-14-2022, 12:26 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Drive the car - an extended drive is best to see how the car performs under a variety of situations.
In theory, I agree with this. Problem is, once you drive the car, you could fall in love with it and that attachment can interfere with good judgement. If there is a 30 day warranty, we can look at it and take it to a shop, dealer or not that is independent of the seller. If it is "AS IS", I definitely would want to have a PDI done by someone who has no attachment or heart strings that can be pulled to tell me if it is mechanically sound or not. See thread HERE.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:34 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Check the dates on the tires.I believe Michelin,if originals?Are suggested by them 5 or 6 years for replacement.The rubber will get harder and slip more in them Sprited Turns we all Enjoy taking.
That's a mere 2k hit.Stingray rims are stronger.Check paint rub and panel fit around the headlites.
If car is a 2015-19 automatic?Purchase a Range Device.If your counting MPG in a sports car you won't like it but your drivetrain will be happier not switching to Pirus ECO Mod
Old 08-14-2022, 05:03 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Hello Forum Members,

The silver discs are for brake cooling if you track the car. My Z51 came with those in the cubby also.

Jimmy
surburban99 (08-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Looking at used C7-What should I look out for?