Sponsored by:

Overheating issue on my 2016 stingray

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:46 PM
ejreyna75@gmail.com
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue on my 2016 stingray

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I am new to this forum or any forum for that matter. Hoping someone can help me. I have a 2016 Stingray that I’m having an issue with it overheating when I drive aggressively. It doesn’t overheat when I’m driving at high rate of speed, as long as I don’t gun it and get to a high speed right of way. I can let the car sit in 100 degree weather and it will not go Over 205/210 degrees, I can drive in traffic with no issues whatsoever except when I put my foot on the pedal and gun it is the only time it will overheat. I have replaced the thermostat, had radiator flushed and rodded, mechanic said it wasn’t even dirty. The only thing I can think of is my water pump is going bad, but show no signs of it , fans run fine at idle and while running. Again only happens when I floor the gas pedal. Would anyone happen to have had a similar issue and found the problem. Thanks in advance, brother for any feed back and allowing me to join the cyber corvette nation .

Sincerely
Eric
Old 08-10-2022, 12:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

What temperature do you consider to be overheating? You haven't mentioned any temperatures that indicate the car is overheating. The fan should cut off once the speed goes above 35 mph. If it doesn't it might cause overheating due to restricting airflow.

Bill
Old 08-10-2022, 07:17 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,018 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome to the forum! What are the temperatures when you say the car "overheats"?
Old 08-10-2022, 01:06 PM
ejreyna75@gmail.com
3rd Gear

Bill hello, it runs fine and stays at 210 all the time no matter if I’m driving or sitting at idle the temperature will only go up to 250 if I stay on it, it will max out. I noticed I was overheating so I let off of it. I’ve never had this issue before and haven’t done any mods to it either. First thing I did was change out thermostat, that didn’t work. Took car to shop so the flushed and rodded the radiator. Tech said it was in perfect condition. No built up sludge and antifreeze was clean. Bill, this only happens when I floor it. By the time I hit 80 or 90 temperature is already going from 210 to 230,40,50in a matter of seconds. As soon as I let off throttle it slowly comes back down to 210.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:42 PM
StrMo
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

210 is normal-ish for a Stingray, 250 isn't.

Sounds like a bad water pump for sure, especially since it's only when you're gunning it and it's directly driven by the belt. They can go bad without making noise/leaking. Maybe it is leaking somewhere but it's hard to see. The only other thing I can think of is a massive air pocket in your cooling system but that would've cleared up from the flush and re-fill.

All C7s have had really random overheating issues across the entire generation, fans dying intermittently, thermostats stuck, water pumps going bad, manufacturing defects, you name it. It's random and uncommon but it happens.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:29 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Get the thermostat tessted also as 180 is normal.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Have you checked the coolant level - if not, that might be the issue. Corvettes are not always filled to the Upper limit when leaving the factory.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:53 PM
ejreyna75@gmail.com
3rd Gear

STrMo , 3rdgear, thanks. Thats the only thing I have left to do other than replacing the fans. But fans sound strong. I was thinking about replacing the water pump to a high volume water pump since my warranty ran out I’ve been wanting to put a supercharger in it. I finally settled on a bolt on Paxton supercharger. So I’m gonna need the extra water cooling to cool that engine down. Guys this is so cool, having someone I can count on for advice. I’ve never been a part of any forum what so ever. It’s a brotherhood and sisterhood . Thanks to all of you for allowing me to be a part of this community and for all the advice. You guys have an awesome day/afternoon.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:56 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are not the original owner, it is possible that someone put an aftermarket thermostat in your engine. I bought a 180* thermostat to replace the 195* stock thermostat. It worked great for about nine months. Then started doing the exact thing you described. It was running much hotter than it had been, The temp was always around 200-210 and would climb higher when you got on it. I put the stock thermostat back in and the problem went away. However the engine was running hotter than I'd like, so I am on my second aftermarket thermostat.

Last edited by 427C62013A; 08-12-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:36 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I agree woth StrMo. 210 isn't uncommon, 250 is way too high
Old 08-12-2022, 09:14 AM
MyRubyC7
Heel & Toe

Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts

Lyle at C&S Corvettes has a great video on overheating. He shows the radiator covered in dead leaves. Subscribe to his YouTube channel and check it out.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:32 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't know if this would matter much but the manual calls for a 60/40 ratio coolant/water. I had my cooling system flushed and refilled recently and noticed my 2017 manual coupe was running about 10 degrees hotter than I was previously used to seeing. Checked with the shop that did the flush and found they had installed 50/50 Dexcool mix. Guess that could make a difference if you're running 50/50.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:42 AM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

See if this link works for you.

https://www.reddit.com/user/wadenels...dy_diagnosing/

Diagnosis of overheating ALWAYS begins with pressure testing the cooling system. Always.

I know just how excruciating owning a sport/lux car that overheats is. Always staring at the temp gauge when you should be having fun. Like
when I was in Santa Barbara (40 years ago), and a convertible full of co-eds pulled up next to me at the light, commenting on my ride, and all I could look at was the temperature gauge on my XKE, wondering which would happen first, the gauge move into the red, or the light turn green.

After you've read this document, pressure tested your system, etc. I'd be glad to answer any ?'s you might have.

Let's get you back on the road having fun.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:56 AM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,161 Likes on 540 Posts

Hi Eric, sorry for your problem. Here's my 2-cents.

I don't think it is thermostat related. Warms up fine, doesn't overheat under normal conditions.
I am thinking it is FAN related or air flow.
I believe the AC is shut-off during acceleration. In turn may be shutting off the fans. Fans are ON with the AC unit ON.
Check water hoses if they are squeezed or kinked.

Is anything changed under the hood or front end? After-market air cleaner, chrome covers, ..... Something changing air-flow!
Is anything blocking air intake to the front grille? License plate, after-market spoiler sucking air under the car, ....
Is the car 'Tuned', non-factory? After-market throttle-body or exhaust?
Are all rubber gaskets in place and good shape under the hood? ( good air flow )
Does it make any difference if the AC is On or Off?
Well it go to 250 even when driving over 50mph on highways. (high air flow) Is it only during city driving? ( low air flow )

Sorry for so many questions but questions lead to answers.

Good luck,
Ron

Old 08-13-2022, 07:31 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Before ripping into it and shooting the parts cannon at it check the obvoius first , Bad thermostat can stick in the half way open position , Cheap to buy ,easy to replace and easy to check with a pot of hot water and a cooking thermometer

Don't replace the fans without checking with someone who has GDS2 , GDS2 can log when your fans are coming on and off and at what speed
Dave
Old 08-13-2022, 07:37 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C62013A
If you are not the original owner, it is possible that someone put an aftermarket thermostat in your engine. I bought a 180* thermostat to replace the 195* stock thermostat. It worked great for about nine months. Then started doing the exact thing you described. It was running much hotter than it had been, The temp was always around 200-210 and would climb higher when you got on it. I put the stock thermostat back in and the problem went away. However the engine was running hotter than I'd like, so I am on my second aftermarket thermostat.
@427C62013A Its not if an aftermarket lower temp thermostat will fail its just when.....
The only lower temp aftermarket thermostat that will not fail is the Katech, they use an OEM body . They come in several temps and are expensive but expensive is a relative term when all the others fail ...

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating issue on my 2016 stingray

Quick Reply: Overheating issue on my 2016 stingray