Sponsored by:

C7 Mechanic wanted -Middletown CT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Bernj1055
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C7 Mechanic wanted -Middletown CT

Had one of the best Corvette mechanics on the Eastern seaboard at Jackson, now Key Chevrolet in Middletown until last fall when Paul moved on to work for GM directly. Had my first and last experience with Key Chevrolet today.

I had a woman call me from Key several weeks ago asking me if she could schedule my car for service. I told her her timing was great as I wanted to change the serpentine belt and pulley and hadn't had a chance to make an appointment. She took down my info and scheduled my appointment. When I received my confirmation, there was nothing about changing the pulley on the order so I then called the new service writer responsible for writing vette repair orders. I asked him to correct the work order to include replacing both belt and tensioner which he said he would do. I told him at the time to make sure the parts were there the day of the appointment. My email confirmation then included replacing both belt and tensioner.

Fast forward to this morning. I dropped the car off, met the new vette service writer and new vette mechanic and went on my way after the writer stated he would call me with a price to replace the belt and tensioner which I thought was odd. Anyway, I never heard from him until I called at 4:30 to let them know I was coming to get the car. I was then told they never ordered the parts but could get them here tomorrow if I left the car overnight. The service writer, who I had originally talked to 3 weeks ago and thru all this time, said he didn't want to order the parts until I approved the charge. Now I was really feeling bad vibes and went and picked up the car. So $200.00 later for an oil change I scheduled early just to get what I really wanted done, plus the fact they didn't apply the coupon I had presented for a lousy $20.00 off, here I am.

Done with Key Chevrolet. Anyone trust a mechanic with their C7 in the Middletown CT area that will do what you ask and is competent at the same time?

Yes, I know, in this day and age, a tall order. Thanks!
i
Old 07-05-2022, 08:59 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

I hear you. Paul moving on was great for him and he deserves all good things but it was a bad day for us. I called Key this Spring and scheduler straight up told me that anything more than an oil change they could not do and would refer it elsewhere. All I wanted was an oil change but that put me off enough to just do it myself. Don’t feel too bad though, my DIY oil change was still about $120 for Mobil 1 and a filter.

See this thread I started late last year on the same topic

The Corvette Mechanic has left the building

Old 07-06-2022, 05:32 PM
Bernj1055
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeCT
I hear you. Paul moving on was great for him and he deserves all good things but it was a bad day for us. I called Key this Spring and scheduler straight up told me that anything more than an oil change they could not do and would refer it elsewhere. All I wanted was an oil change but that put me off enough to just do it myself. Don’t feel too bad though, my DIY oil change was still about $120 for Mobil 1 and a filter.

Thanks for your feedback! I've decided to install the belt and pulley myself. Should have gone that route to start with but I wanted to test the new regime before I needed something more critical done. They flunked my test anyway!! Take care!
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 924 Likes on 532 Posts

? $65 is what it should cost you.
astaggs (07-08-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 10:51 AM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
? $65 is what it should cost you.
Z06 dry sump. Two 6 quart cases of Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 from Walmart $68 each. Plus filter but only used 10 quarts so call it ~ $120ish
Ron_Attleboro_MA (07-09-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:33 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Z06 dry sump. Two 6 quart cases of Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 from Walmart $68 each. Plus filter but only used 10 quarts so call it ~ $120ish
Or if you still run Mobil 1 5W-30 like I do in my 2015 Z51, I can buy a 5 qt jug for about $25 at Meijer. So for (2) five quart jugs plus a filter, I'm in it for less than $60. Mine still runs great...
The following 3 users liked this post by lakemg:
astaggs (07-08-2022), jaki30 (07-07-2022), JoeCT (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 06:00 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 924 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
Or if you still run Mobil 1 5W-30 like I do in my 2015 Z51, I can buy a 5 qt jug for about $25 at Meijer. So for (2) five quart jugs plus a filter, I'm in it for less than $60. Mine still runs great...
Thats what I assumed JoeCT was running, of course I was wrong. I run the the 5w-30w also in my 19 GS.
JoeCT (07-07-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 11:47 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I got a oil change done two months ago. It was odd all new faces. They told me the corvette tech only works 2x a week and they work around his schedule made no sense. If I need something major guess I'll try my local dealer. I went out of my way to see Paul. I'm Glad I got a lot of maintenance done before Paul left.

I also wonder what happened to Shy she was a good service advisor.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:31 AM
Toddhl
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

It seems that several people in the service department have left Key Chevrolet. I have no reason to go back there now that Paul is gone. Shy is now a service advisor at Wallingford Toyota. I talked to her last month when my wife’s Toyota was in for service and she said she’s still part of Paul’s team and will be at Carlisle next month.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:36 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I’d see if Callaway in Old Lyme would do that kind of stuff. Not a dealer, but they do some service work, or had in the past. They are about 20-25 min from that dealership. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Mechanic wanted -Middletown CT

Quick Reply: C7 Mechanic wanted -Middletown CT