Sponsored by:

C7 M7 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 02:12 PM
Pktrusty
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Default C7 M7 questions

I have a 2014 Corvette z51 82k miles with the manual transmission. I was shifting yesterday on the way home. Clutch pedal fell to the floor. I can pull it out and it will stay all the way with no pressure. Slighted bit of push and it pops to the floor. My fluid looks dirty but it appears not to be leaking. Would the master cylinder leak if it was bad?

I was able to drive it home without a clutch so I know the clutch is good. I read some places on the internet that said to ranger change the fluid. Not sure I will have time to get to it today. Should I just plan on changing the master or try to bleed it first? Not super thrilled if it is the slave.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Luzifer
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

For sure it's not just the fluid, a seal busted so either the slave or the master.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Pktrusty
Pro

Is there anyway troubleshoot the master short of changing it? I guess if it the slave I am in for a decent sized job.

I recently bought my C7 so the little research I have read says you have to pull the engine to change the slave? That cannot be right? At that point I might as well change clutch and all that too since I will have it out.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:10 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Do this first; use a Turkey baster to suck out all the old fluid, refill with fresh then have a seat and push the clutch in and out at least 30 times. The clutch fluid will turn black, rinse and repeat until the clutch fluid stays clear. The most likely problem is you clutch fluid has not been serviced for a few years and is long overdue. This issue is very common for M7 cars that don't follow servicing all car fluids. What happens is the clutch dust works its way into the slave via the actuation of the clutch rod traveling in and out, carrying clutch dust particles past the O-ring seal into the slave fluid reservoir. This will gum up slave piston and causing it to stick.....hopefully this will fix your problem, otherwise it's a very costly fix having to pull the drive train to get to the slave cylinder.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by hisvett:
astaggs (04-19-2022), c5arlen (04-12-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 08:38 PM
Pktrusty
Pro

I sucked the fluid out and replaced it. I don’t think any of the fluid is cycling. I only had to cycle it 3 times before it was clear. The second time it was almost clear but I couldn’t get it all out with what I was using.

if it isnt cycling at all. It has to be the master no? If the slave was stuck, wouldn’t the pedal have pressure still and near impossible to press down unless I had a leak?
Old 04-10-2022, 09:44 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,511 Likes on 741 Posts

I also think this may be more than just a fluid problem. You can, however, do better than the Ranger method... Move over Ranger Method! DIY clutch fluid flush tool

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2022, 12:38 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

No, it's not fluid. Something else is happening. Is the clutch actually releasing properly when the pedal goes to the floor, correctly or otherwise?
Old 04-11-2022, 12:45 AM
Pktrusty
Pro

The clutch pedal is just for looks at this point. Pushed all the way down, it doesn’t disengage the clutch.

If I press the clutch in with the reservoir cap off, I should see the level change or movement? Nothing is happening.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:29 AM
CB56
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 109 Posts

I haven't owned a Corvette long enough to know exactly how the clutch pedal works the cylinder but I would think there would be linkage under the dashboard. Maybe take a light and a mirror and look under there and see if something came undone.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:03 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Pktrusty
I sucked the fluid out and replaced it. I don’t think any of the fluid is cycling. I only had to cycle it 3 times before it was clear. The second time it was almost clear but I couldn’t get it all out with what I was using.

if it isn't cycling fluid at all. It has to be the master no? If the slave was stuck, wouldn’t the pedal have pressure still and near impossible to press down unless I had a leak?
Sounds like you may have a stuck piston in the master if the fluid isn't cycling (moving). Every other time I have seen this problem, we have been able to work the issue out by changing out the fluid. I'm guessing because it has been a very long time since the clutch fluid had been changed, all that clutch dust has had a chance to concentrate around the piston(s) and act like a gummy mix to seize it all up. if the clutch was coming apart and binding up, the slave would still be working, just without resistance because it isn't pushing against any clutch springs and the master would show signs of moving fluid.

Not knowing your mechanical experience, if this was my car, I would pull the master off and check out the movement (or lack of movement) of the piston. Using only brake fluid, clean the piston and master cylinder, do not use brake clean, thinner or another kind of petroleum product. This will swell the rubber and majorly muck up everything. If the master is working OK, then you have a more complicated ($$$$$) problem that will probably require a shop.

And the comment about checking the clutch linkage???? on a Hydraulic system.....really???

Good luck, let us know how it goes and what was needed to be replaced.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:24 PM
Pktrusty
Pro

I think you are right. I couldn’t find a replacement part in my town and the soonest I could get it is Thursday. I was going to open it up and see about getting it running but figured I will wait till I have a part to replace it with. I will keep you updated.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:39 PM
CB56
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes really. There has to be some sort of linkage under the dash that works the rod to the hydraulic reservoir.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:05 PM
RCollier
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NortonCO
I also think this may be more than just a fluid problem. You can, however, do better than the Ranger method... Move over Ranger Method! DIY clutch fluid flush tool

Good luck!
I have been using the Ranger method on our factory ordered 2016 since the car was new. Out of curiosity I purchased the items for this alternate method and found there to be no change at all. If the Ranger method is done regularly it is all that is needed. Our car is approaching 58K so should provide a good longer term example. The fluid that was forced out from 16" down the line was clean.

Last edited by RCollier; 04-11-2022 at 11:12 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-12-2022, 02:03 AM
NortonCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by RCollier
I have been using the Ranger method on our factory ordered 2016 since the car was new. Out of curiosity I purchased the items for this alternate method and found there to be no change at all. If the Ranger method is done regularly it is all that is needed. Our car is approaching 58K so should provide a good longer term example. The fluid that was forced out from 16" down the line was clean.
I'm glad you're happy with the Ranger method. Unfortunately, my experience aligns more with @C5Natie than yours. I did the Ranger method followed by this and, as shown in the video, it removed more tired and dirty fluid from the line.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (04-15-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Hawkbarr
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NortonCO
I'm glad you're happy with the Ranger method. Unfortunately, my experience aligns more with @C5Natie than yours. I did the Ranger method followed by this and, as shown in the video, it removed more tired and dirty fluid from the line.
Norton is correct. Ranger method is 90-95% effective, but the C5Natie method gets more of the older gunk out.(its forced out vs siphoned out).

Hawkbarr
The following 2 users liked this post by Hawkbarr:
NortonCO (04-12-2022), Skid Row Joe (04-15-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 11:17 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Have you checked the clutch return spring? I had that fail on a couple cars over the years....unusual I know, but that's what happened....

Old 04-14-2022, 08:56 PM
Pktrusty
Pro

Stupid issue and maybe I will ask for some guidance. I got it tore apart and the master cylinder had rotated out. I got it spun in but and the clutch is working. It says now to engage clutch to start. Is there a fuse or something that probably went bad? I don’t see a sensor on the master cylinder that could have been damaged.

Also, I don’t believe I got it all the way out snapped in. Yep I was trying to rotate it from the inside without marginal success. Any recommendations?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 M7 questions

Old 04-14-2022, 10:19 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Stupid issue and maybe I will ask for some guidance. I got it tore apart and the master cylinder had rotated out. I got it spun in but and the clutch is working. It says now to engage clutch to start. Is there a fuse or something that probably went bad? I don’t see a sensor on the master cylinder that could have been damaged.

Also, I don’t believe I got it all the way out snapped in. Yep I was trying to rotate it from the inside without marginal success. Any recommendations?
I haven't done this level of maintenance on my C7 but, for other vehicles on which I've worked, sensors/switches like this were located inside the passenger cabin, under the dash, as part of the clutch pedal (rather than master cylinder) assembly.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:30 PM
Pktrusty
Pro

I disconnected the battery negative for 10 my na and issue went away. Was able to start the car.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:23 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I disconnected the battery negative for 10 my na and issue went away. Was able to start the car.
Nice job, I’m impressed you could get it rotated much at all from the inside. I replaced the master a while back and it was a huge pain rotating it completely from the outside. At least when on jack stands. Maybe easier to get to on a lift at just the right height.

Some reference pictures.

The following 2 users liked this post by SnowyATX:
MHE-Plex (04-15-2022), NortonCO (04-15-2022)

Quick Reply: C7 M7 questions