C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time ACS buyer; The journey has begun...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 06:04 PM
AirOpsMgr
Dir. of Lavatory Services
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Default First time ACS buyer; The journey has begun...

Hey all, I figured I'd start this thread to track my progress with multiple ACS items recently purchased. I really appreciate all of the other forum members posting up their experiences with multiple vendors & varying parts to help me make an informed decision, so figured I'd add in by recording my experiences.

While I have been considering a multitude of exterior replacement parts from various vendors (to fix some of the previous owner's damaged parts as well as some new add-ons), I finally decided upon purchasing from ACS based upon all of the reviews I've read here.

Inbound for my 17 Z06:
1. ZR1 style front splitter
2. Z06 Side rockers
3. XL Front fender arch extensions
4. Rear quarter extensions
5. Rear diffuser fins
6. Fwd/aft tow hooks
7. Replacement emblem kit

The gentleman I spoke with at ACS was very patient and extremely helpful; I asked various "newbie" questions regarding specific fitment & how some parts interact with others, all of which he explained in detail.

More to follow.

Best regards.
The following 3 users liked this post by AirOpsMgr:
StevieATL (03-30-2022), Szabol (04-23-2022), zcarmaniac (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 06:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Best of luck with your mods. Hope all goes well and looking forward to seeing your write up and pics of the items installed.
The following users liked this post:
AirOpsMgr (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 06:09 PM
God-speed
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look forward to seeing the finished product!!
AirOpsMgr (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:09 PM
17GSHeritage
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Have the elbow grease ready when you pull off the front fender extensions, be patient, the glue eventually comes off .
AirOpsMgr (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:22 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Best of luck with your mods. Hope all goes well and looking forward to seeing your write up and pics of the items installed.
Big fancy camera ready ... ✔️

Originally Posted by God-speed
Look forward to seeing the finished product!!
Will do!

Originally Posted by 17GSHeritage
Have the elbow grease ready when you pull off the front fender extensions, be patient, the glue eventually comes off .
While I'm pretty sure they're already somewhat seperated in their current state, I may know how to use a few trim tools ... worse case scenario, just use a biggur hammur! 🔨
Old 03-24-2022, 07:07 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 119 Posts

You'll be very happy with the quality of the ACS products.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:36 AM
StevieATL
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, I think I found someone as OCD as me. I've done similarly with ACS. I have a 2019 GS coupe,3LT black exterior with spice red interior. Purchased new from Mike Furman/Criswell in Dec 2019 and had transported from Balto to Atlanta. ACS-wise, all Carbon Flash (CF), I have added or replaced:

- Front XL Rock Guards
- Rear XL Rock Guards
- Front Fender Extensions
(cheaper and just as nice IMO to purchase the above separately though I know they offer a one piece).

- Stage 2 Rear Spoiler Conversion Kit

I did not purchase the tow hooks or hidden dash storage shelf from ACS which I know they offer. Got those from ZL1 Add-Ons and Sandyeggo Designs respectively.

What's next from ACS for me: Stage 2 Front Splitter with winglets and full length side skirts in CF though I'm trying to source used on Corvette Forum. I'm holding off on both as I seem to bugger those pieces the most particularly the passenger side 3/4 skirt. Black electrical tape works wonders! Here are

pix.

Last edited by StevieATL; 04-16-2022 at 11:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StevieATL:
15 Z51 conv (04-23-2022), AirOpsMgr (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 09:00 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StevieATL
Wow, I think I found someone as OCD as me. I've done similarly with ACS. I have a 2019 GS coupe,3LT black exterior with spice red interior. Purchased new from Mike Furman/Criswell in Dec 2019 and had transported from Balto to Atlanta. ACS-wise, all Carbon Flash (CF), I have added or replaced:

- Front XL Rock Guards
- Rear XL Rock Guards
- Front Fender Extensions
(cheaper and just as nice IMO to purchase the above separately though I know they offer a one piece).

- Stage 2 Rear Spoiler Conversion Kit

I did not purchase the tow hooks or hidden dash storage shelf from ACS which I know they offer. Got those from ZL1 Add-Ons and Sandyeggo Designs respectively.

What's next from ACS for me: Stage 2 Front Splitter with winglets and full length side skirts in CF though I'm trying to source used on Corvette Forum. I'm holding off on both as I seem to bugger those pieces the most particularly the passenger side 3/4 skirt. Black electrical tape works wonders! Here are

pix.
Very nice! ... & I see you're GA North OTP (South-side OTP, McDonough here).

When I purchased it used, there were a lot of cosmetic issues from the previous owner which I covered up with GM paint-pens, etc, until I saved up for replacements. While it is a daily driver (my wife tends to get the better end of that deal though as much as I'm on the road for work, lol), I've been stashing funds away to do everything all at once! Now just need to find the time to install them.

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 04-17-2022 at 11:15 AM.
StevieATL (04-16-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 09:14 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick update on progress; All of my ACS parts arrived very quickly (about a week & a half), which was surprising considering the current transportation situation. Unfortunately, life & work demands have caused all of these goodies to sit stacked in my dining room until I get time to start turning wrenches (without a lift).

Updates to follow, I promise Really hoping to get the ZR1 front splitter & wheel arches on tomorrow before I have to fly out again on Sunday.

Brgds,
The following 2 users liked this post by AirOpsMgr:
StevieATL (04-09-2022), zcarmaniac (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 01:13 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr
Quick update on progress; All of my ACS parts arrived very quickly (about a week & a half), which was surprising considering the current transportation situation. Unfortunately, life & work demands have caused all of these goodies to sit stacked in my dining room until I get time to start turning wrenches (without a lift).

Updates to follow, I promise Really hoping to get the ZR1 front splitter & wheel arches on tomorrow before I have to fly out again on Sunday.

Brgds,
Good luck, look forward to your results.
AirOpsMgr (04-16-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 04:08 PM
StevieATL
Instructor

That's great. Keep us posted. Maybe we can meet-up in Atlanta or near Truist Park for a liquid refreshment.

Do you know about Classic Glass Corvette Club in Marietta? We are 300 members strong. We have our annual SuperVette Saturday (SVS) event on Saturday, May 7th at Day's Chevrolet in Acworth. Expect to have as many as 300 Vettes there for show and fun. I'll be there albeit working the Club Store table. Looks us up or I can PM you with our SVS flyer. It's our largest fundraiser of the year. We raised almost $14,000 last year. Could be as many as 1000 people attending. I'll also be at May 1st Caffeine & Octane at Perimeter Mall. Here's my beast:

15 Z51 conv (04-23-2022), AirOpsMgr (04-16-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 04:17 PM
StevieATL
Instructor

And here is pix of engine compartment "mods"-- all from American Car Craft. Plus, had hood insulator air-brushed recently by local artist:

AirOpsMgr (04-16-2022), Tribefan2k (04-17-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 11:26 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally had a chance to get started, 1st removed the current Z06 front splitter, wheel arches & rock guards. The ACS parts were extremely well-packaged (mind you, simply the opinion of a 26-yr air-cargo guy) and upon initial "hang-for-fit", lined up exactly with all current holes. The ACS XL front wheel arches and rock guards / spats will be installed along with the splitter, just haven't taken seperate pics of those parts yet.

Before & disassembly pics:

Old OEM splitter with cracks, chips, etc

OEM Z06 splitter with stage 3 winglets removed

OEM Z06 wheel arches and OEM rock guards removed

New ACS composite ZR1-style splitter unboxing

Test fit of new ACS ZR1-style splitter (Without included ZR1 winglets)

It was at this point that I had to stop test-fitting the new ACS splitter as there were more pressing matters .... an 8lb pork butt required attention so it could go on the RecTeq smoker tonight, thus concluding day one of the ACS parts swap

Pork butt being prepped for smoking that kept me from finishing the splitter installation....

More to follow!

Brgds,

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 04-16-2022 at 11:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AirOpsMgr:
StevieATL (04-17-2022), zcarmaniac (04-17-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 11:52 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 17GSHeritage
Interestingly enough, when I began pulling them off this evening, they only took minimal effort to dislodge - but as I mentioned previously, I don't think they were on very well from the start. I think the bigger challenge will be to properly clean all of the adhesive from under the wheel arch before installing the new parts .... not looking forward to that!!
Old 04-17-2022, 12:24 AM
StevieATL
Instructor

Boy, that pork butt looks yummy !! To soften the glue-- I'm sure you are using a heat gun or a hair dryer and then pull like hell! A little (or a lot) of GooGone helped get the glue off along with my fingers.
AirOpsMgr (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 04:21 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

During my lunch-break (while working from home), I made time to get started with the final installation of the ACS ZR1 splitter and Carbon-Flash painted XL front fender extensions. As I was nearing the final stages of the splitter & "winglets" install, I had a few questions regarding final fitment of the winglets in relation to the splitter & fender extensions before I started final bolting & riveting, so I called ACS to verify and they quickly answered all of my questions - a definite 10 out of 10 for Customer Service!!

So far, very pleased with the fit, finish and the exceptional hands-on CS from ACS!

Updated to add:
To close out today's work, I also Installed the ACS XL Carbon-flash-painted front fender extensions with integrated XL rock guards. As anticipated, It took a good bit of time to fully remove the OEM adhesive residue from underneath the wheel arches (using a combination of heat, Mostenbocker's then Goo-gone and a lot of elbow grease), but got it all off & then fully prepped with Iso-alcohol. The fender extensions went on easily, perfect fit with all clips & mounting points dropping right into place; they integrated seamlessly with the ACS ZR1-style splitter.

Apologies for the low quality night pics, will update with daylight pics with the good camera when able...

Quick shot while washing

ACS XL front fender extensions marry seamlessly with the ACS ZR1-style splitter

Full view of the ACS XL front fender extensions with integrated XL rock guards

ACS ZR1-style splitter dried off after its bath

Best regards

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 04-22-2022 at 11:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AirOpsMgr:
StevieATL (04-23-2022), Tribefan2k (04-22-2022), zcarmaniac (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 11:02 AM
StevieATL
Instructor

Looks fantastic. I had not thought about the ACS ZR-1 splitter but it looks really good. I'll have to look at ACS's website. I know it's priced high compared to the others. Yup-- I got the XL front and rear rock guards and front fender extensions. Two things for me in the near future: replace the OEM poverty splitter (I'm still deciding which ACS part to get though I'd go with Stage 2 winglets); and then I'd like to replace the OEM 3/4 side skirts with full length ones. All in CFZ (carbon flash black paint). I've buggered-up my passenger side skirt to the point it can't be repaired. I used black electrical tape to cover it up and frankly it doesn't look too bad. First things first-- next week I'm removing the nardo gray stripes and replacing with either matte black or satin black. Nardo gray just too light for me. What a waste of money! See ya!
AirOpsMgr (04-23-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To First time ACS buyer; The journey has begun...

Old 04-24-2022, 03:12 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

After driving around all day yesterday, I noticed that the new ZR1-style splitter was scraping a bit going in and out of my driveway, it finally dawned on me late last night that the OEM Z06 splitter had been significantly ground down by the previous owner (literally to the point of some gaping holes in the bottom-facing splitter lip) and that the new splitter, even though designed with more clearance, was scraping because of ride height. When I first bought the vehicle, it was scraping in and out of my driveway and after investigating I came to find out it had been fully lowered on the suspension bolts, so I initially raised the suspension bolts until it cleared the driveway gutter/curb.

So today, to avoid damage to the new splitter, I raised the suspension bolts an additional 3/4" to provide further clearance getting in and out of the driveway, & since I had the car up on stands, figured I'd get started installing the new ACS Z06 rockers and maybe get to the rear arches and rock guards.

On stands / using jack to relieve tension on leaf spring to adjust suspension bolt

Raised suspension bolt approx 3/4" to provide additional ground clearance

OEM Z06 skirt removed after drilling out rivets

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 04-24-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:47 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

ACS are top notch.. you get what you pay for. Good pics and write up, looks cool

AirOpsMgr (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 05:56 PM
AirOpsMgr
Support Corvetteforum!

A quick unboxing & comparison of the OEM Z06 rockers/skirts Vs ACS Z06 side rockers:

I didn't take the time to show all of the wear/damage of the OEM rockers/skirts, but you may be able to see my GM paint-pen touch up work in a few spots

ACS Z06 side rockers - unboxing; Very well packaged!

ACS Z06 side rockers in the buff

Comparison of OEM Z06 rockers/skirts with the ACS Z06 side rockers

When hanging the new ACS rockers, as per their instructions and other available installation videos on YouTube, I highly agree that a second set of hands & eyes is invaluable to ensure you retain proper fitment (Fwd, Aft & side to side) while starting a few of the 7mm screws underneath. I suppose you could DIY it with one person, but there would be a lot of back & forth as you start a screw and then have to get out from under the car to verify fitment - much easier with a 2nd person watching fitment/alignment as you start snugging screws. Then once you're happy with fitment, It's time to play Rosie-the-Riveter!

New ACS Z06 rocker (driver side) hung for fit - rivets pending

New ACS Z06 rocker hung for fit (PAX side), rivets also pending

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 04-24-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: First time ACS buyer; The journey has begun...