Sponsored by:

Multiple Owners Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 11:54 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I bought an '03 Z06 in 2012. I became the 10th owner. It had ~25,000 miles on it. At 86,000 I replaced the clutch and harmonic balancer; it's got 112,000 on it now. No "abuse" troubles whatsoever except those items and the required routine maintenance. I bought a '14 Z51 in 2016 and I'm the 4th owner. 12,000 miles; now it has 55k. Oil changes only and it runs like a top.

With CarFax reports and an attentive inspection, I wouldn't be afraid of multiple users.
There are exceptions to everything, Due to past experience, I don't trust Carfax. Personally, I would pass and look for another vette.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:27 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,831 Likes on 5,642 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I bought an '03 Z06 in 2012. I became the 10th owner. It had ~25,000 miles on it. At 86,000 I replaced the clutch and harmonic balancer; it's got 112,000 on it now. No "abuse" troubles whatsoever except those items and the required routine maintenance. I bought a '14 Z51 in 2016 and I'm the 4th owner. 12,000 miles; now it has 55k. Oil changes only and it runs like a top.

With CarFax reports and an attentive inspection, I wouldn't be afraid of multiple users.
Personally, I don't put much faith in Carfax reports as seems they are incorrect almost often as they are correct. Now you can for the most part trust the info contained in a GM VIS report.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Elk (02-15-2022), JMII (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm in the "multiple owners for a Corvette wouldn't bother me" group.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:33 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Personally, I don't put much faith in Carfax reports as seems they are incorrect almost often as they are correct. Now you can for the most part trust the info contained in a GM VIS report.
Which is exactly why I suggested getting the VIS when I posted the first response in this thread.
Kevin A Jones (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Bought on impulse

Some people buy something because they want it but did not figure if they could afford it until after a few payments.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

I beg to disagree. They have been reasonably accurate. If an inaccuracy is found, it would take a lot of effort and time to remove it. It may miss stuff that the body shop does not report but what is there seems reasonable as far as accuracy goes in the last few years. A lot of sellers have "remembered" damages when I show them the reports.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Blackwater0323
Some people buy something because they want it but did not figure if they could afford it until after a few payments.
Or end up hating it.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:42 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by SGM Snake
Feelings on 3+ owners with a clean carfax, around 20k mileage, 2017 Grand Sport.

Looking for forum member's opinions since this would be my first one.
Buying a used vehicle is always a crapshoot. Most Corvette owners that I know take good care of their vehicles. Might want to check with a local dealership to see if there was any major work done to the car.
JMII (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:17 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
It may miss stuff that the body shop does not report...
That is the whole point: CarFax misses stuff.

My wife's last vehicle (a Volvo) was rear ended, this is not reported on the CarFax. Damage was minor in scope but high in cost due to parts. The whole rear bumper was replaced and I believe some suspension part was replaced too. Insurance was involved so this wasn't some cash side job. The vehicle had a history of spending too much time in the service bay (which is why we got rid of it), including being flat bedded to the dealer twice, yet CarFax reported none of it. My current truck has been rear ended twice, same deal - nothing on CarFax. Our current Infiniti Q60 was damaged while under the care of the previous owner and I learned this via CarFax, but I was happy with quality of repair work so I bought it.

Thus to me CarFax can cut both ways: I wouldn't swear by it, but I don't swear at it either
The following 2 users liked this post by JMII:
Steve_R (02-15-2022), ZedConn (02-16-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:21 PM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 535 Likes on 307 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am the 3rd owner of my 2016.
Original owner bought in Florida drove to his home in Maryland.
Traded after 3 years.
Second owner owned for 3 months. Traded for a Dodge.
I have owned it for 2 years. Currently has 20,500 miles on it.
If you have a respectable dealer to check the car and history, you should be fine.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:27 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII

My wife's last vehicle (a Volvo) was rear ended, this is not reported on the CarFax. Damage was minor in scope but high in cost due to parts. The whole rear bumper was replaced and I believe some suspension part was replaced too. Insurance was involved so this wasn't some cash side job. The vehicle had a history of spending too much time in the service bay (which is why we got rid of it), including being flat bedded to the dealer twice, yet CarFax reported none of it. My current truck has been rear ended twice, same deal - nothing on CarFax. Our current Infiniti Q60 was damaged while under the care of the previous owner and I learned this via CarFax, but I was happy with quality of repair work so I bought it.

Thus to me CarFax can cut both ways: I wouldn't swear by it, but I don't swear at it either
Exactly, my point. Years ago, we bought a new Honda Accord. Less than two weeks later, my wife had a run-in with a deer, and if I remember right, the body shop charge was around $3,500. I also had a company vehicle that had some minor damage. It was taken to a body shop too, but a different one in town. Within the year, I checked both vehicles with CarFax, NEITHER vehicle showed up as have any damage, which I personally knew was false. That is why I have no faith in CarFax.
JMII (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red08
Exactly, my point. Years ago, we bought a new Honda Accord. Less than two weeks later, my wife had a run-in with a deer, and if I remember right, the body shop charge was around $3,500. I also had a company vehicle that had some minor damage. It was taken to a body shop too, but a different one in town. Within the year, I checked both vehicles with CarFax, NEITHER vehicle showed up as have any damage, which I personally knew was false. That is why I have no faith in CarFax.
It's better than nothing or scouring the country asking every shop.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

A low bar, damning with faint praise.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

These cars are built to be driven aggressively, so it all comes down to owner maintenance and current condition of parts.
Yes they are also built and often used as a panty wetting device so probably OK as long as you get it reasonably priced and get a PDI
Old 02-15-2022, 04:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elk
A low bar, damning with faint praise.
Not sure where to go but it has come a long way. It has found many a problem that the PO has tried to hide. What's your suggestion?

They did find an accident I had 15 years ago hence the low offer for trade in last year.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I became the third owner of my 2008 C6Z when I purchased it when it was 18 months old with 13K miles on it. The first owner had the car for 2 winter months and put a few miles on it but traded the car. The 2nd owner had the car for 16 months and put almost all of the mileage on the car. The only major maintenance issue was two years later when the exhaust valve head in cylinder 1 dropped and blew the engine while I was on track. I kept the car for 6 years until I traded for my 2015Z.

I don't think the number of owners tells you anything about the car. There are just too many reasons why owners change cars to say a person did it because the car was bad. I knew one owner purchased a Vette and kept it a whole two weeks until he decided he couldn't afford the monthly payments. Others purchase the cars and let them sit in a garage. When I purchased my 2015 I ran into an owner that was selling two 2015 Z06s, a Porsche 911, and two other cars. The two Z06s were each less than a year old had no more than 3 K miles between them. The 911 was also a low-mile car.

Bill
Old 02-15-2022, 06:25 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Elk
The number of owners makes little difference; one owner could have beat on the car while three could have each babied it.

I suggest ignoring this tidbit and focusing on the car itself. What does it look like? Does it looked cared for? Have a dealer pull the VIS.

Some people have weekend cars, some people trade em in after a couple years, a lot of owners upgrade to Z06 or whatever when the money is right. You never know, but buying gently used is still pretty common in C7s.

Get notified of new replies

To Multiple Owners Opinion

Old 02-15-2022, 07:01 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,831 Likes on 5,642 Posts

My 1/2 dozen or so issues with Carfax over the years hasn't been so much missing stuff but more them reporting incorrect information, then not removing it after it has been identified as incorrect.

Last two examples:
One of my daughter's having a $6400 body shop collision repair reported by Carfax for her car that has never been in an accident. Took her about 6 months to get it removed.

And they reported my '17 GS as having the oil changed and wiper refills replaced at Hare Chevy (where I purchased my C7) in Indianapolis IN. My C7 had never left Va.
Which wouldn't have been a big deal except they reported it as having about 20,000 more miles on the odometer than it actually had. I tried to get them to remove it for months and they never did.
When I sold it the purchaser checked the Carfax and thought I was pulling a fast one on him because the mileage I claimed was much less than Carfax. Had to send him a photo of the odometer confirming the correct mileage.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

My 1/2 dozen or so issues with Carfax over the years hasn't been so much missing stuff but more them reporting incorrect information, then not removing it after it has been identified as incorrect.

Last two examples:
One of my daughter's having a $6400 body shop collision repair reported by Carfax for her car that has never been in an accident. Took her about 6 months to get it removed.

And they reported my '17 GS as having the oil changed and wiper refills replaced at Hare Chevy (where I purchased my C7) in Indianapolis IN. My C7 had never left Va.
Which wouldn't have been a big deal except they reported it as having about 20,000 more miles on the odometer than it actually had. I tried to get them to remove it for months and they never did.
When I sold it the purchaser checked the Carfax and thought I was pulling a fast one on him because the mileage I claimed was much less than Carfax. Had to send him a photo of the odometer confirming the correct mileage.
It would be nice if I could just call them and say "Hey! That crash you had on my Excursion in 2006 is not really true." and they wipe it off. Unfortunately, it isn't like that and we have to accept that as fact. I would have loved them to take that off my Excursion so I can sell it as a "catch me if you can" thing. Sucks for me as a seller but it is good for me if I were the buyer. That is why when I went in to trade it in, they offered me stupid low money like $2000 or less. Can't make that omelette without breaking a few eggs.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:13 PM
SGM Snake
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Thanks

Great comments.
In regards to Carfax.
I realize it’s up to REPUTABLE dealers and repair facilities to report items. The cheap places for someone looking for a deal on a repair might not report it. Even the good ones make mistakes or make false claims. It’s unfortunate, but it’s what we have to work with.
I agree with also running a VIS report as an additional tool. Test drive and personal inspection along with the dealer.
The two cars I am looking at are no where close to Colorado so it would be a flight and hope for the best.
Done some review searching on the dealers and they seem like good folks. One is a Chevy and one is a Honda dealer.
Spending 70k cash on a car is daunting to say the least.
I would rather not have a real LOW mileage garage queen. I am 60 so this would probably be the only one I ever get.
My apologies for the rambling.
Thanks for all the comments.

Quick Reply: Multiple Owners Opinion