A8 vs M7 Update.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 05:58 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Depending on the driver, an A8 might beat my M7 by a tenth of a second at the drag strip or 1.5 seconds on a road course lap, but the satisfaction of correctly and accurately managing the gears, mph and RPM and the smile that goes with it lasts a lonnnnnggggg time!
Have known that satisfaction many times in my manual C5Z since 2005 at many tracks east and south. I still remember the first time I went for a heel/toe - at Road Atlanta. Never looked back. I am now getting to the age of inverse split desire; to row and to not row. I even find the Audi A8 technically satisfying although completely separated from any road feel in the traditional sense. The transmission and mild hybrid system are a technical marvel. Far removed from my teenage days of rowing a ten speed roadranger in a deisel tractor/trailer rig or international loadstar with 2 speed axle.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:30 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Patfitz9
I don't get the debate, it's just a different way of driving that some prefer. Characteristics that are "pros" to some, may be "cons" to others.
I'm a die-hard manual lover and all my vehicles over the past 40 years have been manuals except one, but I think your statement is true. That one exception was my 2015 A8, which I picked because it had everything else I wanted and it was available locally at a good price, so I decided to try something different. I now jokingly describe that decision to friends as a "senior moment," as the experience turned out quite a downer.

The good points were that it did perform well and got good mileage (taller gearing in the Stingray helped), but my A8 had every malady known to exist in the species, including the infamous shuddering, delayed engagement, etc. None of this was repeatable in any predictable way at first, and for the dealer to warrant it I needed to present the problem to the service writer on the spot. The delayed engagement only occurred when cold and about once every month, and the shuttering started out sporadic and never would present itself when a service writer was in the car, but as it got worse I was finally able to demonstrate it. In February 2017 the TC was replaced, which was the approved fix at the time. Even though the tranny was out of the car for the TC replacement they would not address the o-ring issues that caused the delayed engagement because I never could demonstrate it to Chevy personnel. When I picked the car up from the dealer I got the delayed engagement, which was the final insult being that I was the only one in the car to witness it. Disgusted, I went home and immediately started shopping for another C7 with, you guessed it, an M7. I'm at five years with my current GS and I've had not one problem with it. Life is good again, but I still agree with Patfitz that it is an individual preference, and I assume by now they've addressed the issues with the A8, which apparently turned out to be the fluid, not the TC as originally addressed.

Last edited by iclick; 02-01-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:43 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Sawkins
So, on to the A8. Well, I must admit I miss the popping and burbling exhaust on overrun and the gutsy sound of the V8 with a manual transmission, but. The gear ratios on the A8 appear to be very well chosen. The shift dynamics also are very good, progressive use of the accelerator cause the box to hold gears. There is a nice amount of engine braking even without using the paddles. The paddles are nice, but I very rarely use them.
Well the M7 is just a car option not an identity trait. You not getting popping and burbling is odd to me. The 2019 and above sports cars (camaro and corvette) got a tune change that causes them burble and pop whenever you let off the throttle above ~3-3500 rpm. If anything you should be getting more burble.
Here are some interesting things you can do with the A8 if you didn't know:
  • Giving the accelerator a quick blip (smash it to the floor quickly) and you can activate performance shift.
  • Holding the downshift paddle at any time will drop the car to the lowest gear it can.
  • Holding the upshift paddle will return the car to normal drive mode (if you switched to manual while in D or activated performance shift)
  • You can actually leave from a stop in 2nd. Just upshift while stopped.
What I've noticed:
  • Some gears vibe better with each other. If you slow down you'll notice your car downshifts from 3-1. If you're driving aggressively in manual mode and skip shifts (double tap down from 5-3 or 3-1) there is very minimal delay, and the car gives a nice bark. I suppose it's giving more throttle to rev match to a higher rpm.
  • The trans shift speed is dependent on how you drive. If you drive slow and pedestrian then the transmission will shift the same way. The more throttle you give the more aggressive the car shifts (up and down).
The following users liked this post:
SouthernSon (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:32 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

had a manual in my 99 and also in my current 2015. I'm an old guy from the 'Happy Days' and 'American Graffitti' era and that is what we drove in our hot rods.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:12 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,823 Likes on 5,638 Posts

Originally Posted by tranceporter
No problems with automatics in most vehicles but an automatic (slushbox) sports car is a non-starter for me. Been daily driving manuals exclusively for 15 years and I'll continue doing so until there is no other option. The main reason I didn't consider a C8 is the lack of a 3 pedal option.
I'm so glad many of you are passing on the C8 due to no manual transmission, as god knows how many years the rest of us would have to wait for one if you hadn't................
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Elk (02-03-2022), jimmbbo (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:40 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'm so glad many of you are passing on the C8 due to no manual transmission, as god knows how many years the rest of us would have to wait for one if you hadn't................
That was my main reason for getting the C7 as an MT is a must have for me. According to Tadge, despite his being a rabid MT fan, due to the small and declining sales of MT 'vettes (<20%), the economics and space available to install the MT in the C8 led them to delete the manual option, with no intent to add it later...
Old 02-04-2022, 11:43 PM
C7 Apex
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

It took me about 1 day to get used to the m7, it’s easy to feel if it’s all the way in gear after you drive it some. I guess this sense comes easier to some people?
Old 02-04-2022, 11:45 PM
C7 Apex
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
for me it was a combo of looks and no manual option. I just can’t get down with the c8 from the rear quarters back. Good thing is, there’s enough great options for all of us.
NortonCO (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 05:36 AM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Gm A8

Originally Posted by jaiyenyen
The A8 is a great transmission.
There’s a long list of GM owners that would disagree with that statement:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/01...ssion-lawsuit/

The full list of affected vehicles in this class-action suit includes:
NortonCO (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 07:21 AM
ARAKNID
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
A solid review, interesting read.

I enjoy both transmissions.

And now we wait for certain M7 owners to tell you how you are clearly wrong.
I'm not about to tell someone they are wrong on an issue like this. It's a matter of taste. (And it sounds like his taste parallels mine.) Or in this case, his individual vehicle, perhaps. I have only owned my 2014 (<6500 Miles) for a couple of months. So I may still be in the honeymoon phase or the problem hasn't come up with the low miles. But I haven't experienced any of those issues with my manual. I agree that, in a car of this caliber, one shouldn't have to put up with what he described. Manuals have been synchronized for decades. Why stop now?
That said, as I contemplate ordering a C8, it makes me more confidant about ordering a (shudder) automatic.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:26 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

Most of my vehicles have had manual gearboxes. I grew up on a farm just south of Port Jervis, NY and my first car in High School was a 63 2 door Biscayne with 3 on the tree. At 15 I was working cutting lawns and saving my money so I could build my own car. (My Dad and both Uncles are Hot Rodders and I wanted to be like them). I found a wrecked 66 Chevelle with a 327 and a Muncie M20. I did the swap myself because my Dad was working out of state. I loved that car and drove it until I graduated, joined the Army and never moved back home. My Mother sold the car for me and with the money I bought a 68 Firebird 400 4 speed. After that I bought a 70 SS Nova, 396, 4 speed, bench seat, Factory 4:10 12 Bolt, heater and radio delete, rubber floors, no power steering, and no power brakes. Sold it when I transferred to Germany in 1977. In Germany I owned an Opel Rekord with a 4 speed on the floor. Back in the states, I bought a 75 Camaro with a 4 bolt main 400 and Muncie M22 (Not stock with the car). I also had a 75 Chevy Monza that I built into a drag car with a 350, Muncie M21, narrowed 12 bolt and a full cage (Bad fast car at the time). In the 90's I owned a 93 and then a 94 Z28. Both M6 cars. In 1999, I sold both 75's and bought a 69 Camaro SS 350, Muncie M21 that need restoration (The wife's car) and a 69 Corvette Roadster 350, 4 speed that also needed alot of TLC. In 2008 I added a 71 Nova SS 350 4 speed to the stable (It needed a bunch of work). I finished the Camaro in 2001 and still have it. I finished the 69 Vette in 2004 and sold it in 2012. I bought a 99 MN6 Corvette convertible in 2011 and traded it for a new 2013 GS MN6 convertible. I sold the 71 Nova in 2012. Fast forward to 2016. The wife tears the miniscus in her left knee and even after surgery, she can no longer push in the clutch pedal. The manual cars have always been driven by the two of us after we married. We bought a 2015 Camaro SS with the A6 trans and she loved driving it. The tough decision was made to trade in the 13 GS for the 19 GS A8 convertible. No regrets. I am a manual trans fanatic but sometimes life can steer your choices. Unfortunately, the wife can't drive the 69 Camaro anymore but it is her car and I get to take her for long drives like all the way from Jefferson City MO to Sturgis SD for the Sturgis Camaro Rally.
hanks10GS (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: A8 vs M7 Update.