Sponsored by:

Where do you get oil changes done at?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 10:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
And how often do you think a shop is going to tie up a ASE certified tech to change your oil. They won't. They will mostly have an entry level minimum wage employee do it.
Don't spoil the fantasy.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Porsche dealer is more than $150/ hr.

They just quoted me $3,500 to R&R the High Pressure Fuel pump. $1,400 in parts for pump and bushing. The rest, labor. I had it done for $1,700 less at Indy shop which specializes in P cars.
IDK. Whatever the hourly rate is, if it does take the time, I got no issue.

Maybe. I tend to look at gift horses in the mouth and ask how they do it do cheap. I have known many independent shops to use cheaper parts. Hourly rate should not be that different but half the price, I usually can't afford it that cheap. Usually when I do, I find out why I should have paid more up front and less in the back end.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:56 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by *89x2*
My 6.0L With something like 14 quarts of oil if I recall. Dealer wanted at least $250 to change that and then, plus the fuel filters.

I remember I can get the fuel filters for around $50, the oil filter for around 20, and then three jugs of shell Rotella, and still do it all for less than the cost of the dealers oil change. I was ended up smelling like diesel fuel, but at least I have a change the fuel filters every other oil change
I get Walmart to do the oil changes. Dispose the oil is the least fun, if there is any, of the job. Like I said, by the time I add in all the additional time, it isn't worth it. Under $30 to change with T6 Rotella 5W40 and I buy it from the store floor. No mess and I drive off. No cleaning up. No disposal of oil, no going out to buy the oil and filter.

For the fuel filter, I do it on the street so it doesn't spill on my driveway or garage if there is any.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:19 PM
Ralphp
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by IGot2P
I live in a very rural area of Iowa (only 7,000 people in the whole county and not even one stoplight) thus I am curious where most of you get your oil changes done at. I usually just go to a Jiffy Lube which is about 20 miles away but since I purchased the 2014 C7 Z51 with the dry sump oil system that place is out of the question. I actually called them and they had never heard of that type of system and did not want to attempt it. There is a Chevrolet dealer about 25 miles away but I really don't trust them even though I did purchase several new Corvettes from them in the 80's and 90's. Should I go back to that dealer, find a independent shop, or do it myself. I have a heated and air conditioned 1,200 sq. ft. shop for one vehicle and many other hobbies but really don't have the time to do oil changes thus your suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, the only gasoline in the town that I live in is 87 octane!

Don
I took all my Corvettes to the local dealer. I've used AAA auto repair shop for my other cars. No complaints about either one of them.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:55 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Do it yourself. Then you know it's done right.
Amazon can deliver right to you door .
you'll need 2 (5 quart jugs) Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5-30w (approx $55)
and a filter Moblie1 M1-113 or similar (Approx $15)

And with Z51 make sure you use full synthetic
Old 01-29-2022, 01:11 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

"done at"?
Old 01-29-2022, 01:20 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
"done at"?

Grammatically incorrect.
The following 2 users liked this post by *89x2*:
F4Gary (01-29-2022), sjw91 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 02:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nuke991
Do it yourself. Then you know it's done right.

Amazon can deliver right to you door .
That is what is often said. Not always true but often said. I have spilled both fresh and waste oil (at my expense), broken stuff incidentally or at least knocked them loose, etc. Nobody is perfect and I can't guarantee that any job I do is going to go as planned. I can guarantee that I will make it right in the end. Or I can watch you and make sure you get it right without actually getting my hands dirty, lay on the cold floor, etc.

True but you still have to do the job. That means you have to have a warn enough place, not everyone has a bay or lift. You have to spend the time to clean things up, assuming normal messes and no unplanned messes. You also have to gather the oil and dispose of it and the filter since we can't do it on a backroad and leave the mess there.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:09 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

It is a simple oil change, not brain surgery.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elk
It is a simple oil change, not brain surgery.
Mercedes is a simple oil change. You suck it from the top and never have to get under. The C7 cannot do that. I tried to get the oil out via the dipstick but I got a quart out at most. It isn't difficult. It does include having to do all the cleaning up. I take it to WalMart and $20 plus supplies which I have to pay for. Why not? Just having to dispose of the oil without spilling would be worth the $20 some dollars.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:31 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

I change the oil in my Z06 in about fifteen minutes on Race Ramps. Quick, easy, and probably faster than you can drive to WalMart.

But everyone should do whatever works for them. I suggest only not pretending it is difficult to change a C7's oil.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elk
I change the oil in my Z06 in about fifteen minutes on Race Ramps. Quick, easy, and probably faster than you can drive to WalMart.

But everyone should do whatever works for them. I suggest only not pretending it is difficult to change a C7's oil.
Don't cheat. Time it from start to finish which includes getting the supplies all the way to disposing the oil and cleaning up all the mess. Go get the oil, bring your ramps to the spot, warm up the car and get it onto the ramps, drain the oil, fill the oil and dispose of the oil and filter at the dump. Assuming the dump isn't like mine which is open 1700-1900 on Thursday and 0800-1200 on Saturday. Any other time and you have to make a special trip on those times.

I don't say it is difficult or needs a PhD in physics. It is just time and effort consuming. Why am I wasting my time and getting dirty to save under $30 for the labor? I drive it to WalMart, watch them do it in AC environment and pay them when it is done and drive home with my office or home clothes and hands still clean. After watching them, I do my shopping, load stuff in the car and go home less than 15 minutes away.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:25 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

For me there's always been something sacred about changing my own oil, as well as most other repair and routine maintenance chores. If I do it it'll be done right, or at least my way. However, I'm just cheap enough (barely) to bite on any offer for free oil changes, so for my last three Vettes I've let a dealer do the freebies. This applies if I can pick a dealer and tech that I can trust. Even though there are several Chevy dealerships within spitting distance I drive 70 miles round trip to a dealer who emphasizes Corvette sales and service. I also specify a tech that they willingly provide.

When the freebies run out, which they did three years ago on my GS, I use my QuickJack and DIY. Even at 74-YO I can still tool around on a creeper and turn a wrench without too many aches and pains. My big issue with DIY oil changes is that there seems to be no way of doing the job without spilling something on the garage floor, but even that aggravation doesn't persuade me to take the car elsewhere. I also DIY on my truck and lawn equipment.

BTW, for the past 5-6 years I've taken advantage of the Mobil1 rebates and can do the entire job for about $35 including a synthetic-media oil filter. I've been using a PF64 up until now but in March my GS's powertrain warranty expires and I will move to a synthetic oil filter (Fram XG12060).

Last edited by iclick; 01-29-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:29 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Don't cheat. Time it from start to finish which includes getting the supplies all the way to disposing the oil and cleaning up all the mess. Go get the oil, bring your ramps to the spot, warm up the car and get it onto the ramps, drain the oil, fill the oil and dispose of the oil and filter at the dump. Assuming the dump isn't like mine which is open 1700-1900 on Thursday and 0800-1200 on Saturday. Any other time and you have to make a special trip on those times.

I don't say it is difficult or needs a PhD in physics. It is just time and effort consuming. Why am I wasting my time and getting dirty to save under $30 for the labor? I drive it to WalMart, watch them do it in AC environment and pay them when it is done and drive home with my office or home clothes and hands still clean. After watching them, I do my shopping, load stuff in the car and go home less than 15 minutes away.
You’ve missed the main point of changing it yourself. It’s not about saving labor or money on the oil/filter. The benefit is knowing that the job was done properly. I honestly wouldn’t let Walmart change the oil in my riding mower, but it’s your car so if you’re comfortable with it, that’s all that matters.

Last edited by lakemg; 01-30-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:35 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Don't cheat. Time it from start to finish . . .
No cheating here, 15 to 20 minutes tops.

Nothing to gather; the oil and filter is in the garage a few steps away from the car. Grab the tools I know I need, and off we go. There is no mess to clean up, I do not drain the oil onto the floor.

A paper shop towel is all that is needed to wipe off the drain plugs. The oil catch can has a spot to place the oil filter. The filter will be drained by the time the new oil is in the engine. Pop it into the box the new filter came in and toss it.

The only thing I can do differently than many others is I use the waste oil so I need not take it anywhere.

It is cheaper, satisfying, done right. I also perform maintenance on my BMW, Ducatis, brush mower, ATV, etc. None are difficult to take care of.

Changing oil on these cars is not much more complicated than opening a can of soup and heating it up.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 05:44 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

At home, by me.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iclick
For me there's always been something sacred about changing my own oil, as well as most other repair and routine maintenance chores. If I do it it'll be done right, or at least my way. However, I'm just cheap enough (barely) to bite on any offer for free oil changes, so for my last three Vettes I've let a dealer do the freebies. This applies if I can pick a dealer and tech that I can trust. Even though there are several Chevy dealerships within spitting distance I drive 70 miles round trip to a dealer who emphasizes Corvette sales and service. I also specify a tech that they willingly provide.

My big issue with DIY oil changes is that there seems to be no way of doing the job without spilling something on the garage floor, but even that aggravation doesn't persuade me to take the car elsewhere. I also DIY on my truck and lawn equipment.
I guess. I just haven't found what is sacred about oil changes and I have done many for all my vehicles. I haven't found out what is sacred about getting diesel oil on my hands either. I just watch whomever so I know how it is done.

THAT is my issue. I have dogs so I have to get the floor spotless and more important, free of anything toxic so it isn't just a wipe up and go away. Now I have to clean up the mess with brake cleaner. Coolant spill and I am washing the entire floor and driveway. Diesel oil and it is a long night. Not to mention laundering my dirty work clothes separately. I once assured the wife that nothing could go wrong washing it together. Well, her white dress became my new floor rag and worse, I never heard the end of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do you get oil changes done at?

Old 01-29-2022, 06:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lakemg
You’ve missed the main point of changing it yourself. It’s not about saving labor or money on the oil/filter. The benefit is knowing that the job was done properly. I honestly wouldn’t let Walmart change the oil in my riding mower, but it’s your car so if you’re comfortable with it, that’s all that matters.
I don't turn over the keys and walk away. I get a cold beverage and supervise. My benefit is I don't have to lay on a cold floor or a dirty one and do wash up later on.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elk
No cheating here, 15 to 20 minutes tops.

Nothing to gather; the oil and filter is in the garage a few steps away from the car. Grab the tools I know I need, and off we go. There is no mess to clean up, I do not drain the oil onto the floor.

A paper shop towel is all that is needed to wipe off the drain plugs. The oil catch can has a spot to place the oil filter. The filter will be drained by the time the new oil is in the engine. Pop it into the box the new filter came in and toss it.

The only thing I can do differently than many others is I use the waste oil so I need not take it anywhere.

It is cheaper, satisfying, done right. I also perform maintenance on my BMW, Ducatis, brush mower, ATV, etc. None are difficult to take care of.

Changing oil on these cars is not much more complicated than opening a can of soup and heating it up.
Again, never said it was complicated. Just messy. I don't use waste oil so either I throw it down the drain or I take it somewhere. You have a cop neighbor and these days, with the cell phone cameras, well.....I have to do the trike because it is easier to do it than to take it somewhere further. UTV I have to strap down on a trailer.

I generally buy when I am doing the job. That way I know I have enough oil and the right filter. Best I do is stop by the store on the way home. If the car is cold, I have to get it hot. Jack it up, drain it, change filter, put the plug back, bring it down, fill it up. After it is done, clean up the floor for any splashes, brake clean off the plug area, dispose of the oil and wash the clothes. I definitely can't do that in 15 minutes. IF you can do that in 20 minutes, I'd definitely be interested to see how fast you are running. I am not sure what satisfaction you are having but for me, these are not interesting jobs. First few times on a new to you vehicle, yes. Every oil change I farmed out has been done right because I am supervising.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:11 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

From your posts, it is clear you should not change the oil or do any other work on a car. Some people are simply not suited for this work.

There is noting wrong with this, we all have different abilities.
The following users liked this post:
Ralphp (01-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Where do you get oil changes done at?