Sponsored by:

Rented a C8 after owning a C7 M7 GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 06:36 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by MovinFr8
I wanted to do a write up on my experience driving a C8 after owning a ’17 GS M7 2LT. Hoping to help anybody who’s curious about making the switch but doesn’t have access to a car to test out. Recently a buddy of mine and I decided to use Turo to rent a C8 3LT Z51 out of curiosity since he’s thinking of buying one, and I really wanted to see how it compared to my C7. We put on about 200 miles and got a good mix of city, hwy, and mountain twisties around Phoenix.

What I Liked:
1. The handling. When people say these are two completely different cars in the way they handle, they are NOT joking. The C8 is just so firmly planted on the road. I was blown away by how we could throw it through the mountain roads while applying power through the turns. I could never drive my C7 the same way without the rear end getting tail happy. In this way the C8 feels like a more forgiving car while still being really damn quick.
2. The shift speed. This transmission is crazy fast at what it does. Enough said.
3. The stereo. Possibly the least favorite thing about my C7 is the sound quality of the stereo. I know this is subjective and can be fixed by replacing components, but I think the stock stereo in my old Pontiac Grand Prix was much better than the muddy bass, weak mid crap that the C7 Bose puts out. I usually fix this by generous use of the mute button and applying more throttle with the windows down. But sometimes you just wanna enjoy your jams ya know?? The C8’s stereo is hugely improved IMO.
4. The front lift. Works like a charm and is super convenient.
5. The ride. I felt like tour mode in the C8 was better at soaking up bumps than my C7. They both have mag ride and my C7 has the latest software updates. Other than that I couldn’t tell a difference.

​​​​​​​What I Disliked:
1. Firm downshifting. My friend and I both noticed the car would give a little jolt on many of the downshifts. I didn’t find it very annoying but it was definitely enough to notice.
2. Climate control center stack. I know, some like it, some don’t, and some are impartial. I’m not a fan. The backlights are also hard to see in the daytime. That was an unpleasant surprise.
3. Auto vs M7. Before I bought my GS I drove an A8 and M7. The M7 is a deal breaker for me. Was the C8 a lot of fun to drive? Hell yeah it was! There’s just no substitute for ripping through gears on winding roads and the experience that comes with doing that manually. The C8 transmission is an outstanding auto. If you don’t mind it’s an auto you’ll probably love it. When I drove it I wished I was driving my car instead.

General Observations:
I’m not sure what the exact specs are on ride height, but I thought the C8 felt a little higher than the C7. I have lowered my C7 about an inch on stock bolts, and preferred the lower feeling of mine. Seat comfort was really good. I’ve got competition seats and enjoy them. Don’t remember which seats were in the C8 but they were similar and maybe a touch more comfortable. The infotainment was great and felt pretty similar with Apple car play which is about all I use. I did really appreciate the screen responsiveness. Interior quality is fantastic, just like all the reviews have been saying. Both cars handle brilliantly and the C8 felt incredible. I am ok with having to be more gentle with my car so that the back end doesn’t come out on me. The car feels very fast, but honestly I just think the fun factor of the M7 is it for me. It’s hard to describe on paper but yes, the C8 felt a little bit faster, just not as fun. Those are my big observations. I could go into opinions on more appearance things but I wanted this to be more about what I noticed while driving it and how it compared to the C7 Grand Sport. Bottom line for me was that I really enjoyed driving it but have no plans to switch anytime soon. Hope this was helpful to anyone wondering what it’s like.
Good review. Do you prefer the sound of the high revving C8 or your Grand sport? Did you find it a little strange not having the long hood in front of you?
Old 11-19-2021, 06:56 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,830 Likes on 5,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidercop
I own a M7 2019 C7 and specifically chose my car bc of the manual. To me, the C8 does not look like a vette. Every other generation looks like a vette even to the casual onlooker. The C8 looks like a Ferrari and as much as I do like the front end on it I hate the back end. I'd never own one for multiple reasons but the biggest is the auto tranny
In 1963 many didn't think the new C2 looked like a vette, in 1968 many certainly didn't think the C3 looked like a vette, in 1984 many didn't think the C4 looked like a vette and so on............ Corvettes need to progress with the times or they will be no more and that would be a pure shame.
The following 6 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
BRussell (11-20-2021), Elk (11-19-2021), Maxpowers (11-20-2021), Rich0071 (11-29-2021), VistaVette (11-21-2021), Woodson (11-20-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:59 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,830 Likes on 5,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
I like a manual. But recognize an auto is superior in every way; performance, efficiency in power transfer, better mileage, etc.

I d not care if car comes with a manual, yet I understand there are those for whom this is important and who want a manual regardless of an auto's advantages.
Well stated and very True!
Old 11-19-2021, 07:13 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
In 1963 many didn't think the new C2 looked like a vette, in 1968 many certainly didn't think the C3 looked like a vette, in 1984 many didn't think the C4 looked like a vette and so on............ Corvettes need to progress with the times or they will be no more and that would be a pure shame.
True enough but a Corvair is vastly different from a Corvette.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:39 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

I enjoyed your review and compared it somewhat to my experience in 2020 when I drove my buddy's C8. Drove it over 30 miles with him leading in his 2016 Z06. We drove some cool one lane and two lane roads that had significant curves and elevation changes. It was fun. However, other than being blindingly fast on acceleration, I didn't find the experience significantly different than my 2019 GS M7. Might have to do with my PSS tires that were pretty new and sticky when I was driving a couple tracks and Tail of the Dragon. I haven't had my GS wag its tail until tire mileage approached 15,000 miles. I replaced them at 19,000 miles with Michelin Pilot AS 4s. Problem solved. My assessment was, both cars are exceptional and the choice is a personal one. My desire is to keep my M7 GS.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The C8 is a great car and as expected, a superior performance car on the track compared to the C7. That's great, but the $50K to $60K cash I'd have to kick in plus my C7 is what keeps me in the C7.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:03 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The C8 is a great car and as expected, a superior performance car on the track compared to the C7. That's great, but the $50K to $60K cash I'd have to kick in plus my C7 is what keeps me in the C7.
Actually a C7 Grand sport is faster on a track and the C7 Zo6 is faster in the quarter mile than the current C8.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:20 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by jaiyenyen
Actually a C7 Grand sport is faster on a track and the C7 Zo6 is faster in the quarter mile than the current C8.
This

Been proven with professional drivers as well
Old 11-20-2021, 03:04 PM
C7nut
Pro

Received 345 Likes on 194 Posts

I wanted to do a write up on my experience driving a C8 after owning a ’17 GS M7 2LT. Hoping to help anybody who’s curious about making the switch but doesn’t have access to a car to test out. Recently a buddy of mine and I decided to use Turo to rent a C8 3LT Z51 out of curiosity since he’s thinking of buying one, and I really wanted to see how it compared to my C7. We put on about 200 miles and got a good mix of city, hwy, and mountain twisties around Phoenix.

What I Liked:
1. The handling. When people say these are two completely different cars in the way they handle, they are NOT joking. The C8 is just so firmly planted on the road. I was blown away by how we could throw it through the mountain roads while applying power through the turns. I could never drive my C7 the same way without the rear end getting tail happy. In this way the C8 feels like a more forgiving car while still being really damn quick.
2. The shift speed. This transmission is crazy fast at what it does. Enough said.
3. The stereo. Possibly the least favorite thing about my C7 is the sound quality of the stereo. I know this is subjective and can be fixed by replacing components, but I think the stock stereo in my old Pontiac Grand Prix was much better than the muddy bass, weak mid crap that the C7 Bose puts out. I usually fix this by generous use of the mute button and applying more throttle with the windows down. But sometimes you just wanna enjoy your jams ya know?? The C8’s stereo is hugely improved IMO.
4. The front lift. Works like a charm and is super convenient.
5. The ride. I felt like tour mode in the C8 was better at soaking up bumps than my C7. They both have mag ride and my C7 has the latest software updates. Other than that I couldn’t tell a difference.

What I Disliked:
1. Firm downshifting. My friend and I both noticed the car would give a little jolt on many of the downshifts. I didn’t find it very annoying but it was definitely enough to notice.
2. Climate control center stack. I know, some like it, some don’t, and some are impartial. I’m not a fan. The backlights are also hard to see in the daytime. That was an unpleasant surprise.
3. Auto vs M7. Before I bought my GS I drove an A8 and M7. The M7 is a deal breaker for me. Was the C8 a lot of fun to drive? Hell yeah it was! There’s just no substitute for ripping through gears on winding roads and the experience that comes with doing that manually. The C8 transmission is an outstanding auto. If you don’t mind it’s an auto you’ll probably love it. When I drove it I wished I was driving my car instead.

General Observations:
I’m not sure what the exact specs are on ride height, but I thought the C8 felt a little higher than the C7. I have lowered my C7 about an inch on stock bolts, and preferred the lower feeling of mine. Seat comfort was really good. I’ve got competition seats and enjoy them. Don’t remember which seats were in the C8 but they were similar and maybe a touch more comfortable. The infotainment was great and felt pretty similar with Apple car play which is about all I use. I did really appreciate the screen responsiveness. Interior quality is fantastic, just like all the reviews have been saying. Both cars handle brilliantly and the C8 felt incredible. I am ok with having to be more gentle with my car so that the back end doesn’t come out on me. The car feels very fast, but honestly I just think the fun factor of the M7 is it for me. It’s hard to describe on paper but yes, the C8 felt a little bit faster, just not as fun. Those are my big observations. I could go into opinions on more appearance things but I wanted this to be more about what I noticed while driving it and how it compared to the C7 Grand Sport. Bottom line for me was that I really enjoyed driving it but have no plans to switch anytime soon. Hope this was helpful to anyone wondering what it’s like.
Good review. Other then the tranny I could have written a very similar account about the differences between my C6 and my C7.
Everyone expects major iengineering improvements with every new generation, but folks like me also put a high value on overall design. .
Nealy 3 years in and I am still having a hard time with its complicated looks.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:10 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I can't even get past look of the darn ugly thing.. the base I drove was extremely lackluster after driving my Z07
Old 11-20-2021, 05:14 PM
CurtisLowe
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I can attest to the review comments.

I never owned a Corvette, Nissan 370Z M6 got excited about the mid engine and got a place in line.. Took delivery and I just absolutely was in Love. 2020 black Z51 HTC, The 370Z was a roadster. I missed the manual experience and had read about the Corvette history in several books. So I bought a Torch Red 2017 C7 Z51 M7 Coupe and boy is that a great car and I do love the manual experience as everyone here attest to. Still have the C8 so I have the best of both worlds I guess and the wife can drive the C8 but not the C7 due to the M7.

I got an extension due to COVID and will be attending the Driving School at Spring Mountain in January. Can't wait and after that experience I hope to take my M7 out on Road Atlanta next year on Chin Track days.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:24 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
You can get a base C8 for low $60's. A C7 with 30-40K miles should get $40k or so for trade in. Sounds lie your starting point is really closer to $25K.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:15 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I agree from the OP remarks but cant wait until I can get a c8 z06 in, I am hoping I am not to old to enjoy it like it should be driven. Robert
What's too old? I'm 80
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 05:39 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,741 Likes on 3,019 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for the unbiased review
Old 11-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Best of both worlds would be a C7 and anything else right now lol.. really disappointed in the weak ugly car.. maybe when my eyes get really bad when I am really old and can't see crap I will like it? lol I just cannot drink the "it's new" Koolaid right now I see what I see...
Old 11-21-2021, 02:50 PM
MovinFr8
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaiyenyen
Good review. Do you prefer the sound of the high revving C8 or your Grand sport? Did you find it a little strange not having the long hood in front of you?
Gosh now that I think about it I really like the sound of both and don’t have a preference. But yup, I do remember commenting on how the seating position was more forward. I forgot about it shortly after starting the drive.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:59 PM
MovinFr8
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by v.vet's Z06
I haven't had my GS wag its tail until tire mileage approached 15,000 miles. I replaced them at 19,000 miles with Michelin Pilot AS 4s. Problem solved. My assessment was, both cars are exceptional and the choice is a personal one. My desire is to keep my M7 GS.
Ah interesting, because I’ve owned my car from about 14,000-16,000 mi with the PSS’s. Now I’m excited for new tires! Glad you shared your experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Rented a C8 after owning a C7 M7 GS

Old 11-21-2021, 03:08 PM
contraflow69
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the C8 they have at SpeedVegas in May and enjoyed the five laps around the track. I was kidding with my guys that was my test drive. Great handling but seemed to be a bit lacking in the straightaway. As some have said it seems very driver focused in the car, and I knew my wife probably wouldn't be very appreciative of that when she's in the passenger seat (and it would drive me crazy if she was driving). I didn't want to mess with the wait list on a C8 and wasn't interested in paying the premium. My local dealer was $30k dealer markup on an order.

Found an '18 C7 Z06 A8 in late August and bought it with 8200 miles. I probably paid too much, but for a first time 'vette owner am enjoying the heck out of the car. I haven't tracked it yet, but no problem in the straightaways, that's for sure.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:25 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Gosh now that I think about it I really like the sound of both and don’t have a preference. But yup, I do remember commenting on how the seating position was more forward. I forgot about it shortly after starting the drive.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:29 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Originally Posted by contraflow69
I drove the C8 they have at SpeedVegas in May and enjoyed the five laps around the track. I was kidding with my guys that was my test drive. Great handling but seemed to be a bit lacking in the straightaway. As some have said it seems very driver focused in the car, and I knew my wife probably wouldn't be very appreciative of that when she's in the passenger seat (and it would drive me crazy if she was driving). I didn't want to mess with the wait list on a C8 and wasn't interested in paying the premium. My local dealer was $30k dealer markup on an order.

Found an '18 C7 Z06 A8 in late August and bought it with 8200 miles. I probably paid too much, but for a first time 'vette owner am enjoying the heck out of the car. I haven't tracked it yet, but no problem in the straightaways, that's for sure.
I believe the C7 will hold its value quite well in the coming years, not everyone likes the C8 and what you paid may be more than pre pandemic times but may also turn out to be a good deal anyway. As well smiles for miles can not be counted in dollars, enjoy.

Quick Reply: Rented a C8 after owning a C7 M7 GS