Sponsored by:

BP/Amoco Gas No Longer on "Top Tier" List

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 09:20 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
Any updates about the shrinking list of gasoline companies on the Top Tier list?
Supply chain issues:

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:07 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,234 Likes on 3,468 Posts

So? I think it's another C.Y.A the legal dept puts in writing, little else. Most, if not all, the "brands" we get in the small backwoods community where I live are pulled from the same pipeline terminal and get taken to different brand stations. Some have said they get different "additive packages" added at the terminal, but I've never seen such myself. If it smells like gas, burns, AND doesn't ping I'll use it. None costs significantly less than any other.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Recently I went on the BP website again. The Q&A has some comments on Top Tier, and they are about the same as back before BP/Amoco got on the Top Tier list.
Basically, they say that BP/Amoco Premium meets the TT specs, the mid grade is lower in detergents, and the Regular is lowest yet.
Top Tier requires that all grades of fuel at all their stations meet Top Tier specs, so the Regular and maybe mid grade would keep them off the list no matter how good the Premium is.
So, I'm reasonably confident that BP Premium is still fine, but the lower grades not so much.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:54 AM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

I'd like to believe that. really, I would.
But understanding that the profit motive is paramount in our capitalist society, I am unconvinced.

I've been using AMOCO 'white' since i started driving in 1963. I've now changed to Shell which costs me about 60 cents/gal more than BP in my neighborhood.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:32 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

BP US website on their fuel.
Does bp's gasoline meet TOP TIER™ detergent gasoline standards?
All grades of bp/Amoco gasoline with Invigorate® exceed TOP TIER™ detergent requirements and provide enhanced benefits to our consumers, such as cleaning your engine,3 that TOP TIER™ fuels do not.

BP is the 6th largest oil company in the world and the 3rd largest with US operations (behind Exon/Mobil and Total), so I'm sure there is some profit motive. Maybe as simple as paying for usage of the TT trademark is not beneficial to sales.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

^^^^^
That's even better, if it's true.
I'm still a bit suspicious, the Top Tier fee itself is rather small and they don't have to run their fuel through the engine test very often.
I'm confident that BP Premium is better than what you buy at "Joe's Live Bait, Body Piercing, and Cheap Gas" places.
Is it equal to Shell or Mobil? "Those who talk, don't know. Those who know, don't talk."
The following 3 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
H Watkins (07-20-2022), joghotrod (07-20-2022), vettetwo (07-21-2022)

Quick Reply: BP/Amoco Gas No Longer on "Top Tier" List