Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 11:42 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If your really concerned, I would see about a different one if possible.. there are so many really clean issue free cars out there before resorting to CarMax Who probably does more harm "fixing" things...
Old 08-16-2021, 11:52 AM
WPGZ06
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts

I would pass on this one and take it back. As others have said, many other cleaner ones out there. I'm **** as it comes; few your concerns are no big deals but the others would bother me, so if its not almost perfect I'd be taking it back.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,136 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Simple answer if you really want it you will buy it ! If you do not really want it you will not buy it! What I am trying to tell you is all our opinions do not matter as you will be the only one that will be paying for it so you know how much you really want it or not. ANY PICTURES OF THE CAR?? Good Luck with your decision Dave
The following users liked this post:
Luzifer (08-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 12:11 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
If your really concerned, I would see about a different one if possible.. there are so many really clean issue free cars out there before resorting to CarMax Who probably does more harm "fixing" things...
I'm limited on my options with my financing. I found a few private party options that were not willing to get the car smogged or take time off work to spend time at the bank with me so I'm stuck with dealers. The local chevy dealers are adding mandatory options. Check out the pic of the grandsport o was looking at and 2k worth or options. The oddity is carmax is actually better priced now then regular dealers because of it.
Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Simple answer if you really want it you will buy it ! If you do not really want it you will not buy it! What I am trying to tell you is all our opinions do not matter as you will be the only one that will be paying for it so you know how much you really want it or not. ANY PICTURES OF THE CAR?? Good Luck with your decision Dave
Not the greatest pic but I took one last night as I was joy riding. C7 is a such a blast to drive.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Ok Great looking GS C7 ! Great Color Combo! Have them deduct the price it will cost you to replace the front spoiler and take it to someone who knows how to replace it properly. If it was mine and I did the damage I would replace it as soon as possible. I could be wrong but I do not think the Z07 package was available on a GS as that is stage 2 ground effects and rear spoiler on the GS but you could purchase the CERAMIC ROTORS and I recall one year they were a free upgrade promotion so I recall. Good Luck Beautiful GS Corvette with the HERITAGE PACKAGE OPTION!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 08-16-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Chomorro (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 01:00 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

I would take it back, you don't sound to happy with it. I've had my 19 GS for 2 years, and I still make the trip to the garage just to look at it. And i always look back at her when i park.
The following 2 users liked this post by EBvette02:
Bayshore Vette (09-14-2021), Chomorro (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 01:06 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EBvette02
I would take it back, you don't sound to happy with it. I've had my 19 GS for 2 years, and I still make the trip to the garage just to look at it. And i always look back at her when i park.
If you do not look back you are not normal!
The following 2 users liked this post by Always Red Dave:
Bayshore Vette (09-14-2021), Luzifer (08-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 01:07 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by EBvette02
I am happy with it now. I think I just needed to learn how a c7 works. For example I was really frustrated with the front camera not coming on when I park only to realize it turns on after reverse or by clicking the camera button. Also need to figure out the check oil procedure since just pulling the dipstick doesnt seem to work haha.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Chomorro
Excellent points thank you! I more worried about scraping with so much upward pressure that it will break the front bumper clips . Not sure of that's a thing in this car.
Even though it is mostly plastic the front bumper is tough as hell. When I was first purchasing a trailer for the car I was at a trailer dealer's lot driving the car up trailer ramps when they fell off the trailer, dropping the front fascia onto the trailer with the front wheels hanging in the air and the rear wheels on the ground. So I know the front can support at least half the weight of the car. The Stage 2/ Stage 3 front splitters on the GS and Z06 will rub almost anywhere and a lot of times they will rub when the flexible air dams under the car don't even come close to rubbing.

Don't worry about a wheel lifting off the ground when going over a hump. The frame is very stiff and a lot of Corvette models have done the same thing for decades. When I am at the track and changing brake pads/rotors/wheels iI regularly jack the car at the front shipping slots located on the frame lifting it high enough to take two to three wheels off the ground depending on what I am working on.

Your picture of the door panel doesn't really show the wrinkles you were describing so I can't advise you on that but I would discuss it with the dealer selling the car. The door opening and car shut-off issues sound like you may need new batteries in your remotes. You should have two remotes that come with the car (they are delivered with two) and they should be programmed as remote 1 and 2. If one of them is remote 3 or more then there are other remotes floating around that can open your doors and start your car. Remotes that are programmed as 3 or above don't have access to all of the car's features but they do let somebody drive the car.

Low air pressure could be anything and a cracked wheel isn't at the top of the list. Most likely is an issue with the tire pressure sensor and how tight the nut that holds it to the wheel is.

Bill
Greenlizard (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 02:51 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 862 Posts

CHECKING OIL LEVEL WITH A DRY SUMP SYSTEM:

. To obtain an accurate engine
oil level reading, warm up the
engine to at least 80 °C
(175 °F). Cold oil will not give a
correct oil level reading.
2. Once the engine is warm, turn
off the engine. Checking the oil
while the engine is running will
result in an incorrect oil level
reading.
3. Check the oil level between
five and 10 minutes after the
engine is shut down.

Link to Owner's manual in PDF format is here:

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf

Welcome aboard!

Ron

Old 08-16-2021, 03:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Havent found this color combo with ceramic brakes M7 and comp seats in the past 4 to 5 months I have been searching. I found another one close to it but 6k more.

32k miles. Previous owner left the PDR card in there so i saw some valet dealer service videos on there lol.
When you buy used or from stock, you've got to be flexible with how it is equipped. Or, you're going to have to be flexible with its price and or location.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

I'm limited on my options with my financing. I found a few private party options that were not willing to get the car smogged or take time off work to spend time at the bank with me so I'm stuck with dealers. The local chevy dealers are adding mandatory options. Check out the pic of the grandsport o was looking at and 2k worth or options. The oddity is carmax is actually better priced now then regular dealers because of it.

Not the greatest pic but I took one last night as I was joy riding. C7 is a such a blast to drive.

That's a buy if it's all sound in condition.
Chomorro (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 04:23 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

$2k in add ons? No way I'd buy anything with that junk added, especially the likely poorly wired and completely worthless alarm system. I can't believe dealers still try to rip people off like that. Lifetime nitrogen and a nearly $600 tint job? what a crock truly shameful.

The door opening thing can be tricky... I had the same thing happen to me multiple times during the first two weeks I owned the car - then I got used to the timing required and no problems since.
The following 4 users liked this post by JMII:
Bayshore Vette (09-14-2021), legacypgmr (08-16-2021), Luzifer (08-17-2021), Woodson (10-04-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 04:26 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by JMII
$2k in add ons? No way I'd buy anything with that junk added, especially the likely poorly wired and completely worthless alarm system. I can't believe dealers still try to rip people off like that. Lifetime nitrogen and a nearly $600 tint job? what a crock truly shameful.

The door opening thing can be tricky... I had the same thing happen to me multiple times during the first two weeks I owned the car - then I got used to the timing required and no problems since.
its normal right now unfortunately. I was looking at a hyundai they had $6k mandatory dealer added options..........
Old 08-16-2021, 05:02 PM
Chomorro
Racer

The ceramic brakes make some squealing noise when stopping occasionally, just like my mustang. I thought that was interesting since I read they are supposed to be dustless and noiseless.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 PM
vbb
Racer

Received 387 Likes on 170 Posts

Those mandatory dealer options would steer me away from that 2nd car you posted. Those prices are outrageous. The car looks great, though.

The first one you mentioned all sounds as if it has things that can be fixed/addressed. I guess it all comes down to what you want... since you're set on a specific color (and you should absolutely get the color you want and not settle) and you're looking in a pretty limited area, then you've got the choice between 2 vehicles that seemingly check your boxes and you have to decide if you want to pay more for the one that is lower mileage and seemingly in better exterior condition or pay less for one that might need a little TLC.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:27 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by vbb
Those mandatory dealer options would steer me away from that 2nd car you posted. Those prices are outrageous. The car looks great, though.

The first one you mentioned all sounds as if it has things that can be fixed/addressed. I guess it all comes down to what you want... since you're set on a specific color (and you should absolutely get the color you want and not settle) and you're looking in a pretty limited area, then you've got the choice between 2 vehicles that seemingly check your boxes and you have to decide if you want to pay more for the one that is lower mileage and seemingly in better exterior condition or pay less for one that might need a little TLC.
the picture is actually the one I'm buying, watkins grey with ted comp seats. Just what I was looking for. The dealer options pic was an admiral blue grand sport I decided to pass on.

Carmax approved replacement of the front lip, and what ever is wrong with the rear tire slow leak so I'm moving forward with the purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns

Old 08-16-2021, 08:28 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,078 Posts

its normal right now unfortunately. I was looking at a hyundai they had $6k mandatory dealer added options..........

It's NOT normal. Just picked up vehicle the other day, took my sharpie and wrote through EVERYTHING they tried to aftermarket add. Nope. Not normal
The following 2 users liked this post by *89x2*:
JMII (08-17-2021), legacypgmr (09-14-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:36 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by *89x2*
It's NOT normal. Just picked up vehicle the other day, took my sharpie and wrote through EVERYTHING they tried to aftermarket add. Nope. Not normal
they wouldn't budge on this Hyundai. It was the only brand new one within the nearest 5 states. I tried lol but it's ok, my interests went to the vette instead.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:49 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 862 Posts

I refused about $1000 worth of dealer crap on my daughter's Honda CR-V last fall. This extra crap was NOT disclosed on their web site or offer to me through TrueCar.
They removed the package tray and left some film on below the door handles.

Got the written TrueCar offer price without the $1000 add ons.

Tell them NO and be willing to walk out.

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by RonC7:
JMII (08-17-2021), legacypgmr (09-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Picked up my new to me grand sport, some concerns