Sponsored by:

HELP!!! FedEx lost my wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 06:51 PM
mattya9
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default HELP!!! FedEx lost my wheels!

I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. Ordered new wheels back in April. Original timeframe for delivery was supposed to be 8-10 weeks and here we are 3 1/2 months later and what do I have? Only 2 wheels with the other 2 "missing". I went through a third party company here in town; they've filed a report for a missing item as well as the company out of LA that makes them. The company here in town shared the tracking number with me and when I look it up it says it's "potentially delayed" while still being in transit. But here's the cherry on top: it's last scanned location was the warehouse here in town! And FedEx has looked for it in said warehouse and they can't find it! Needless to say I'm frustrated beyond belief! So I'm wondering if there's anything I can do even though 2 missing item reports have already been filed? Am I, the third party company and the company that made the wheels at the mercy of FedEx?!

Matt
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mattya9
I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. Ordered new wheels back in April. Original timeframe for delivery was supposed to be 8-10 weeks and here we are 3 1/2 months later and what do I have? Only 2 wheels with the other 2 "missing". I went through a third party company here in town; they've filed a report for a missing item as well as the company out of LA that makes them. The company here in town shared the tracking number with me and when I look it up it says it's "potentially delayed" while still being in transit. But here's the cherry on top: it's last scanned location was the warehouse here in town! And FedEx has looked for it in said warehouse and they can't find it! Needless to say I'm frustrated beyond belief! So I'm wondering if there's anything I can do even though 2 missing item reports have already been filed? Am I, the third party company and the company that made the wheels at the mercy of FedEx?!

Matt
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of fedex. They should put a "tracker" on it. If they don't locate it then a loss claim can be filed. The sender is the one that has to perform all the requests and the one who would get the updates. Hopefully, they were insured for the full value. If not, you'll have another hurdle in the fact that you'll have to hope the sender does the right thing and makes you whole one way or another.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,388 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That sucks. Hopefully FedEx can locate the other two wheels or at a minimum the vendor will make it right for you. Unfortunately having to order two new wheels is just going to delay getting them on your car by a number of weeks.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:40 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

DId you pay with a credit card? In my limited experience credit card companies carry a lot of weight, and were able to help me out.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:15 PM
mattya9
Instructor

Originally Posted by ss2z06
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of fedex. They should put a "tracker" on it. If they don't locate it then a loss claim can be filed. The sender is the one that has to perform all the requests and the one who would get the updates. Hopefully, they were insured for the full value. If not, you'll have another hurdle in the fact that you'll have to hope the sender does the right thing and makes you whole one way or another.
Originally Posted by JonMN
DId you pay with a credit card? In my limited experience credit card companies carry a lot of weight, and were able to help me out.
I did pay with a credit card. However, I only had to pay 50% up front and that’s what I’ve got (2 wheels). So technically I’ve got what I paid for thus far.

Matt
Old 07-28-2021, 11:07 PM
Luzifer
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I had ordered a 2000$ stairlift/truck on ebay and someone at ups stole it, I bet the driver/thief was real happy now that he can carry packages with a truck that climbs stairs. Anyway UPS only deals with the seller and not the buyer(me). Fortunately the seller refunded me and he made a claim to ups. If he didn't refund me I was going to file a complaint to paypal and or my credit card.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:14 PM
QuickSilver20
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts

I did pay with a credit card. However, I only had to pay 50% up front and that’s what I’ve got (2 wheels). So technically I’ve got what I paid for thus far.

Matt
it would surprise me if the credit card company would view it this would. I think they would look at it as an order that has been partially filled and may be able to put pressure on the company to either fulfill the rest of the order and persue FedEx for the cost of the lost goods or for them to accept the return of the 2 wheels and give you a refund.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:30 PM
mattya9
Instructor

I guess worst case scenario is the manufacturer makes 2 new wheels for me and I have to wait another 3 months to get them. I would keep my fingers crossed they might put the 2 new wheels at the top of their list but I wouldn’t hold my breath. In the meantime they can deal with FedEx in figuring out what to do about the 2 originals that are missing.

At what point do I just tell the third party company screw it and order me 2 new wheels? I feel like that might be my only option since 2 of them are already made. I don’t think they would be able to sell them because they’re slightly customized (matching torch red ring around the edge of the wheel)…

I should also mention there is still a chance they could be found. Anyone here in the shipping industry that could shed light on the situation? I’m not quite sure how a package this large and heavy can go missing.

Matt

Last edited by mattya9; 07-28-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:12 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do even though 2 missing item reports have already been filed? Am I, the third party company and the company that made the wheels at the mercy of FedEx?!
Matt
Yes and no.
First the questions.
Did you pay the 50% upfront to the local third party company who then ordered them from the manufacturer?
Does your receipt state the payment was for 4 wheels and what method/manner the balance was due?
Which 2 were delivered to you? Both fronts? Rears? One of each? Were they individual packaged or tied/strapped/taped together (i.e. one or two shipping labels)
Did the FedEx driver require a signature or just drop them on your doorstep?

Assuming the first two answers are YES, the local company should take the initial lead with the local FedEx warehouse. I can only assume your local company paid the manufacturer in full, including shipping, and are the aggrieved party. Their representative can go to the warehouse (in person always works better/quicker than emailed/phoned/verbal complaints) armed with photos of the boxes and labels you received and estimated sizes of the missing package(s) and request a visual inspection (hopefully along with the FedEx employee in charge) of the area where unidentified/lost packages are kept. The most common problem is that labels get damaged in transit or handling, so they end up in a dead storage area at the last known location. In this case, the bigger question would be if the boxes were shipped/labeled 1,2 of 2 or 1,2,3,4 of 4, but you'll know that by the labels on the boxes you have. If they were all scanned in at the LV warehouse and never scanned out when loaded on the driver's truck, they are still in the warehouse somewhere or stolen by an employee, which is unlikely, but not impossible.

Being assertive should get this resolved quickly. Just hope that the wheels were not damaged when the label was damaged.
The following users liked this post:
mattya9 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:33 AM
mattya9
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Yes and no.
First the questions.
Did you pay the 50% upfront to the local third party company who then ordered them from the manufacturer?
Does your receipt state the payment was for 4 wheels and what method/manner the balance was due?
Which 2 were delivered to you? Both fronts? Rears? One of each? Were they individual packaged or tied/strapped/taped together (i.e. one or two shipping labels)
Did the FedEx driver require a signature or just drop them on your doorstep?

Assuming the first two answers are YES, the local company should take the initial lead with the local FedEx warehouse. I can only assume your local company paid the manufacturer in full, including shipping, and are the aggrieved party. Their representative can go to the warehouse (in person always works better/quicker than emailed/phoned/verbal complaints) armed with photos of the boxes and labels you received and estimated sizes of the missing package(s) and request a visual inspection (hopefully along with the FedEx employee in charge) of the area where unidentified/lost packages are kept. The most common problem is that labels get damaged in transit or handling, so they end up in a dead storage area at the last known location. In this case, the bigger question would be if the boxes were shipped/labeled 1,2 of 2 or 1,2,3,4 of 4, but you'll know that by the labels on the boxes you have. If they were all scanned in at the LV warehouse and never scanned out when loaded on the driver's truck, they are still in the warehouse somewhere or stolen by an employee, which is unlikely, but not impossible.

Being assertive should get this resolved quickly. Just hope that the wheels were not damaged when the label was damaged.
You are correct and the answer to both questions are yes. I have a balance due to be paid upon ALL wheels being delivered and installed.

I’m also not sure if they were packaged together (in sets) or individually. I do know there are 2 shipping ID’s; one associated with each set. But I’m not sure which wheels they are (front or back). I would assume they would come in a front set and rear set.

Matt
Old 07-29-2021, 02:07 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

You are correct and the answer to both questions are yes. I have a balance due to be paid upon ALL wheels being delivered and installed.

I’m also not sure if they were packaged together (in sets) or individually. I do know there are 2 shipping ID’s; one associated with each set. But I’m not sure which wheels they are (front or back). I would assume they would come in a front set and rear set.

Matt
Measure the ones you already received and you'll know what's missing. That, along with answers to the other questions, will clarify things in this thread.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:52 AM
Luzifer
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

At this point I would ask for another set (at no extra cost to you). If they have been shipped I doubt you will ever get them as "lost items" are a big thing. There's a whole ring of things that go "missing" based on my research when I didn't get my hand truck.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:20 AM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

1. You ordered 1 set of wheels, you did not recieve 1 set of wheels. What you got is worthless.
2. You did not select the shipping company. The seller did. You did not pay shipper the seller did. The contract for shipping is between the seller & Shipper.
3. You paid as requested by the seller with a credit card and did everything you were supposed to do? is that right?

Contact credit card company in writing. Explain you did not recieve the merch. and request refund to your card. Include copies of emails reciepts, and other correspondence with seller.

I also suggest when complaining, asking for advice or wanting to priase a company use their name in the posting. Spread the word both positive and if you have to negative, but be factual , limit opinion.( this is my opinion)

The following 2 users liked this post by jwmgr8:
mattya9 (07-29-2021), sonicss33 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:22 AM
mattya9
Instructor

Measure the ones you already received and you'll know what's missing. That, along with answers to the other questions, will clarify things in this thread.
I don't actually have the wheels. The third party company here in Vegas does. Legitimately curious in why measuring the wheels would matter at this point?

Originally Posted by Luzifer
At this point I would ask for another set (at no extra cost to you). If they have been shipped I doubt you will ever get them as "lost items" are a big thing. There's a whole ring of things that go "missing" based on my research when I didn't get my hand truck.
Originally Posted by jwmgr8
1. You ordered 1 set of wheels, you did not recieve 1 set of wheels. What you got is worthless.
2. You did not select the shipping company. The seller did. You did not pay shipper the seller did. The contract for shipping is between the seller & Shipper.
3. You paid as requested by the seller with a credit card and did everything you were supposed to do? is that right?

Contact credit card company in writing. Explain you did not recieve the merch. and request refund to your card. Include copies of emails reciepts, and other correspondence with seller.

I also suggest when complaining, asking for advice or wanting to priase a company use their name in the posting. Spread the word both positive and if you have to negative, but be factual , limit opinion.( this is my opinion)
I was planning to give them until next week to find them. Next Tuesday will be 2 weeks since the 2 wheels that are here have been delivered. Not sure how long it would take to search a warehouse but I would think 2 weeks would be plenty of time to find them, no?

Matt
Old 07-30-2021, 02:26 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I don't actually have the wheels. The third party company here in Vegas does. Legitimately curious in why measuring the wheels would matter at this point?
Matt
Up until this post, it was assumed you had two wheels in your possession and measuring them would determine if they were fronts or backs. Knowing what you have provides dimensional information to assist finding what is lost.

At this point,(2 weeks) it looks like your third party guy is not real interested in doing more than filing a claim and you really don't have any wheels. I'd tell him to refund your money and cancel the order or you'll go to the CC co to get it. You only lose time, not money.
BTW, If FedEx handles lost packages like UPS, the wheels will end up in a regional lost/damaged facility and eventually sold as salvage.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
Luzifer (07-30-2021), mattya9 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM
David Young
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had bad luck with USPS and FedEx. Good luck with UPS
Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM
mattya9
Instructor

Up until this post, it was assumed you had two wheels in your possession and measuring them would determine if they were fronts or backs. Knowing what you have provides dimensional information to assist finding what is lost.

At this point,(2 weeks) it looks like your third party guy is not real interested in doing more than filing a claim and you really don't have any wheels. I'd tell him to refund your money and cancel the order or you'll go to the CC co to get it. You only lose time, not money.
BTW, If FedEx handles lost packages like UPS, the wheels will end up in a regional lost/damaged facility and eventually sold as salvage.
Yea I'm not holding my breath that these 2 wheels will show up. I spoke to FedEx and their "investigation" ends today so hopefully I'll be getting a call from the third party with a plan of action. Fingers crossed if I have to order 2 new wheels the manufacturing company will put a rush order on them. But (again) I'm not holding my breath. I really like the wheels I've picked out and I would hate to have to cancel all together and go with another company. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! FedEx lost my wheels!

Old 07-30-2021, 01:01 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would have the credit card company reverse the charges. When I’ve had similar problems in the past, I did that and the two results were, the companies involved got their act together to my satisfaction or the whole transaction was reversed, and I went to another vendor to get the product I wanted.

Don’t let them push you around! Just do it!
Old 07-30-2021, 01:02 PM
wallysolvette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the box the delivered wheels came in to the FedEx warehouse to show them what the lost box looks like. Take a picture to leave with them of the box. In person inquiries are bette than phone calls.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:49 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Yea I'm not holding my breath that these 2 wheels will show up. I spoke to FedEx and their "investigation" ends today so hopefully I'll be getting a call from the third party with a plan of action. Fingers crossed if I have to order 2 new wheels the manufacturing company will put a rush order on them. But (again) I'm not holding my breath. I really like the wheels I've picked out and I would hate to have to cancel all together and go with another company. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

Matt
So ? What happened ?

The credit card bank isn't going to reverse the charges in a situation like this until you come up with some sort of "definitive" outcome from the FedEx.

If the outcome is "They're lost" the CC company would likely ask you if you requested a refund. If they simply refund you, case closed.

If THEY give you a hard time about refunding you THEN you go to the credit card company, hopefully with more explicit details, hopefully more than you've posted here, including that the 2 wheels already delivered and paid for are useless without the other 2, and the CC company will refund you fairly quickly.

You may not end up with the wheels but you won't be out any $$$ - just time.

Last edited by legacypgmr; 08-01-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! FedEx lost my wheels!