Battery Health ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:26 AM
vettebob2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Battery Health ??

Hello,
I am seeking advise.....which has always been good from y'all.
I have a 2015 C7 Z51 LT3. I used to be able to work on my 'older' Vette's but the last couple with all the 'computer' stuff has restricted my abilities. But this is a battery question which can be mystifying no matter what era........... I'm not a qualified technical person so need assistance.

I am the second owner so I am not sure how old the battery is. Anyway, I've not had any problems these last 2 years that I have owned it. Yesterday I went to start the vehicle and it would not turn over....not even the 'click-click'??? (there was no 'fore warning'...so to speak) So I connected my CTEK charger (it's the same one you could get with the Corvette Logo on it). It went thru its 7 steps and all went well. Admittedly it did take it almost 24 hours to go thru the whole session. Vehicle started without a hitch. Took a test drive and the charging system consistently showed 12.9 to 13.+ volts while driving. But I guess that does not really indicate 'BATTERY HEALTH'???
Even tho it seems all is well.,...IS IT REALLY?
Is there a way for 'me' to check the battery to know if it is 'healthy'?
The battery might be 3+ or more years old, since I don't know if it is the original battery.....so does one just buy a new battery? Admittedly I am one who likes to 'investigate' first before spending the big bucks ..... if one can.

Thanks

Last edited by vettebob2; 06-08-2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: not showing as being posted by me
Old 06-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,830 Posts

I would assume its the original battery and replace it. Once a battery fully depletes...its never the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
beaversstonehaven (06-08-2021), Drkhrse (06-08-2021), Ron_Attleboro_MA (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 12:11 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

You simply take the car to your local auto parts store and ask them to test your battery. The tester will give you a complete report on the battery health.
https://www.autozone.com/lp/battery-services

Last edited by laserdude2215; 06-08-2021 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
corvettekent (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 01:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

^ this would be the thing to do. The check is free and you’ll know if the battery has problems. If you are not sure when or if the battery has been replaced, it just might be time for a new one.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,816 Likes on 5,636 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebob2
Hello,
I am seeking advise.....which has always been good from y'all.
I have a 2015 C7 Z51 LT3. I used to be able to work on my 'older' Vette's but the last couple with all the 'computer' stuff has restricted my abilities. But this is a battery question which can be mystifying no matter what era........... I'm not a qualified technical person so need assistance.

I am the second owner so I am not sure how old the battery is. Anyway, I've not had any problems these last 2 years that I have owned it. Yesterday I went to start the vehicle and it would not turn over....not even the 'click-click'??? (there was no 'fore warning'...so to speak) So I connected my CTEK charger (it's the same one you could get with the Corvette Logo on it). It went thru its 7 steps and all went well. Admittedly it did take it almost 24 hours to go thru the whole session. Vehicle started without a hitch. Took a test drive and the charging system consistently showed 12.9 to 13.+ volts while driving. But I guess that does not really indicate 'BATTERY HEALTH'???
Even tho it seems all is well.,...IS IT REALLY?
Is there a way for 'me' to check the battery to know if it is 'healthy'?
The battery might be 3+ or more years old, since I don't know if it is the original battery.....so does one just buy a new battery? Admittedly I am one who likes to 'investigate' first before spending the big bucks ..... if one can.

Thanks
I assume you have a Delco battery since you are contemplating whether battery has ever been changed? A Delco battery typically last 5-7 years. I base this on my experience owning/operating a chain of auto parts stores for years and purchasing, selling and warranting thousands of Delco batteries.
Based on your post info the battery is either approx 6 years old (if original) or two or more if changed just prior to your purchase. There's usually always a manufacturer's date code (month/year) stamped into the battery casing which should give you an idea as to how old the battery is. Keep in mind that it's typically approx 90 days from a battery being manufactured to actually being installed in a vehicle.

I'd recommend checking for this date code to see how old it is or just replacing the battery. I wouldn't consider $150-$200 for a new Delco Big bucks.

As far as having a chain auto parts clerk checking my battery, I would NOT let them touch the electrical system on my C7, even if only for a battery test.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-08-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Elk (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I suspect you meant "I would not let them touch my C7."
Old 06-08-2021, 03:14 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Well.....................
My battery was the original. So.....I guess it was around 6 years old. I guess one would say that was pretty good.
Went to the local Chevy dealer and got a new battery. Got the 'beefy'er' one. 770 cranking amps and a 42 month warranty and got a 10% discount!
Which made the battery cheaper than buying it at Autozone or other parts stores!!

The bad news..........I'm guessing because I had a 2 to 3 hour 'dead zone'.....took out the 'old' but did not put in the 'new' until 2-3 hours later I have new problems.
No dash lights, no interior lights, car won't even attempt to start.............. the fobs make things 'click'. but that is all. I"ve seen posts elsewhere where similar problem as mine but they eventually got all to work. No me..............nothing. I'm dead in the water. and yes everything is connected correctly.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,816 Likes on 5,636 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
I suspect you meant "I would not let them touch my C7."
Yes, Thank you
Old 06-08-2021, 03:20 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

yes everything is connected correctly.
No, it's not.
Elk (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Well.....................
My battery was the original. So.....I guess it was around 6 years old. I guess one would say that was pretty good.
Went to the local Chevy dealer and got a new battery. Got the 'beefy'er' one. 770 cranking amps and a 42 month warranty and got a 10% discount!
Which made the battery cheaper than buying it at Autozone or other parts stores!!

The bad news..........I'm guessing because I had a 2 to 3 hour 'dead zone'.....took out the 'old' but did not put in the 'new' until 2-3 hours later I have new problems.
No dash lights, no interior lights, car won't even attempt to start.............. the fobs make things 'click'. but that is all. I"ve seen posts elsewhere where similar problem as mine but they eventually got all to work. No me..............nothing. I'm dead in the water. and yes everything is connected correctly.
You have a bad ground..
Old 06-08-2021, 04:07 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

When I bought my '14 Z51 7MT Conv about three years ago it had the original battery. My first stop at my trusty mechanic (Mark at Titus-Will in Olympia, WA) was handing him a new battery (two hands, those suckers are heavy) and letting him have it. Why have him do it? Well, no more (obviously) battery in front and getting to the new location in the trunk is a PITA with the brittle cover and limited space. Maybe it had another year or so but I didn't want to find out in a parking lot that she was dead. I will probably repeat the process in a year or so.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:31 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Default Retraced what I did

Well......I'm 74 and like most folks don't like being told "your wrong". Well......I was.
After reexamining what I did and everything looked correct I decided to REDO everything.
I disconnected everything and even cleaned some of the connections. I SSLLOOWWLLYY re-assembled everything and then said a prayer.
God Is Great !!!!!
Everything is functioning as it should. I have relooked at everything and nothing looks different to what I had done.......but I guess something wasn't what it should have been?
I took it out for a test drive and saw that the charging was 14+ so my 'old' battery was definitely going to go south.
I guess being 74 ain't that old but geez that battery is HEAVY!! Contorting getting it into that cubby hole was definitely a challenge. My back is not happy with me at the moment.
soooooooooooo........the moral is sometimes 'we' are wrong. and one needs to admit that just might be so.

thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebob2:
Freerider969 (06-10-2021), Maxpowers (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Well done!

It is a bit of work to change the battery on these cars. A good accomplishment.
Freerider969 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:55 PM
Drkhrse
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Happy to hear you have it all sorted out. Nice job!
Freerider969 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 11:30 PM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

It's probably a good idea to use your CTEK charger if you don't drive the car for two weeks. These cars tend to drain the battery if they sit to long.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:46 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Get a new battery, clean the cable connectors well, and go.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:07 AM
WPGZ06
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts

Well......I'm 74 and like most folks don't like being told "your wrong". Well......I was.
After reexamining what I did and everything looked correct I decided to REDO everything.
I disconnected everything and even cleaned some of the connections. I SSLLOOWWLLYY re-assembled everything and then said a prayer.
God Is Great !!!!!
Everything is functioning as it should. I have relooked at everything and nothing looks different to what I had done.......but I guess something wasn't what it should have been?
I took it out for a test drive and saw that the charging was 14+ so my 'old' battery was definitely going to go south.
I guess being 74 ain't that old but geez that battery is HEAVY!! Contorting getting it into that cubby hole was definitely a challenge. My back is not happy with me at the moment.
soooooooooooo........the moral is sometimes 'we' are wrong. and one needs to admit that just might be so.

thanks
Does not matter your age, batteries are always heavier than they seem. Congrats on getting it working once again.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:12 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 579 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by WPGZ06
Does not matter your age, batteries are always heavier than they seem. Congrats on getting it working once again.
Congrats on getting her done...

Last edited by miami08VETTE; 06-09-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Health ??

Quick Reply: Battery Health ??