C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Navigation do you mostly use? OEM Navigation vs Waze vs Google Map?
Stock OEM Navigation Mostly
27.27%
Waze Navigation Mostly
39.39%
Google Maps Navigation Mostly
27.88%
Equal Combination of OEM Nav with either Waze or Google Nav
5.45%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

OEM Navigation Vs. Waze Vs. Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 07:51 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Without apple car play on my 2015, I print out the directions and use my phone as a back up. I don’t like the Navi on my car.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

In this order;
Garmin
Google Maps
Waze

I like the bigger screen on the Garmin
I like the fact I can move around the screen in Goggle maps
I dislike the cartoonish screen of Waze
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Almost never use the factory navigation, I almost always have Waze running for the police notifications.
The following users liked this post:
Pit Pro Pudge (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 10:31 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have factory NAV but use Google mostly and Waze occasionally.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:54 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 578 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
I also think that the OEM nav is a must in case you were in the middle of nowhere trying to find a destination without Cell service.
This is why I upgraded to OE Nav. I have found myself in North Georgia Mountain areas with no cell service! Plus the OE Nav is not bad at all... IMHO, YMMV...

Last edited by miami08VETTE; 06-07-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:47 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 886 Likes on 576 Posts

Factory nav backed up by Waze for police and real time traffic.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:06 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

Google Maps on Android Auto. I tried WAZE and like the heads up for police location, but... the screen looks like it was made for a 5 year old. The only thing missing is a little waving avatar "Hi". Worse it took me on obviously longer routes to my destination several times. No idea why. Also if WAZE is installed on my phone (Pixel 4a 5G) it will override Google Maps when using Android Auto with no way to turn it off and it seems to constantly remain active on my phone out of the car with notifications I don't care about. Went through all the settings but could not get it to act the way I want. Decided the police warnings weren't worth all the other BS and uninstalled it.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Matt66
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When using factory NAV can you make it show up on the HUD or just the display screen
Old 06-09-2021, 12:32 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Haven't found anything but my question isn't worth starting a new thread.

The pic below is of a '19 1LT.

Question is, is there any way of telling from the display screen whether or not the car has ON BOARD Nav (not On Star) ?

Is the directional indicator indicative ? i.e. If it's green the car HAS ON BOARD NAV but the amber, as in the pic, tells you it DOESN'T have (OB) NAV ?

TIA

Old 06-09-2021, 12:41 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Google Maps.

I've not got OEM nav, and haven't gotten around to downloading Waze.

So it's mostly a lazy decision.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:56 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Google maps alerted me to 3 radar traps yesterday, so glad I had it running.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:04 PM
Matt66
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will have a NAV icon if like mine i have NAV icon and onstar i cancelled onstar then my nav did not work i purchased a new HMI from infotainment and now everything is unlocked and working real simple to do takes about hour.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:08 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts

This will tell you what you do and don't have VIN decoder link click here ---------->>>>>>Chevrolet VIN Decoder | Lookup History, Specs, Recall Info and more!

Also, from your home screen you would have a green icon that says "Nav" which means you have navigation. See below:

Did I just buy a 2016 Z06 that doesn't have PDR? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Originally Posted by legacypgmr
Haven't found anything but my question isn't worth starting a new thread.

The pic below is of a '19 1LT.

Question is, is there any way of telling from the display screen whether or not the car has ON BOARD Nav (not On Star) ?

Is the directional indicator indicative ? i.e. If it's green the car HAS ON BOARD NAV but the amber, as in the pic, tells you it DOESN'T have (OB) NAV ?

TIA

Last edited by KGrant; 06-09-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:48 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

OEM look is definitely dated even on these relatively newer cars. I primarily use Google as it does have LEO/speed trap alerts just as Waze. Google actually owns waze, im surprised they keep both formats rolling, they should just combine the two for best of both worlds.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:14 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

My C7 is a 2014 so it doesn't have AA or Carplay, so I usually just use the OEM Nav. It works pretty well once you figure out its quirks.

Or, I can stop for gas at any service station, and while they fill the tank, check the oil and clean the windshield I can go inside and get a free map.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:16 PM
macher
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Apple maps
Old 06-09-2021, 02:21 PM
befree2spin
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
I have had that happen a number of times and now insist on OEM Navigation. There is nothing like being tired, after a long hard day, being in am area you are not familiar with, and having your cell phone with no service, to really make your day!

In addition, with all the crazies running around, I do not need to give my location and destination to anyone I have walked by, that may have hacked my phone. Especially, if they have seen me in an expensive car.

GM is also having a sale on the upgrade right now for $99.99 and free shipping.

https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/sku...E-EM3-NGI-0621
Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to upgrade mine!

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Navigation Vs. Waze Vs. Google Maps

Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts

@BooSSted

Waze
was the leader in that niche space and this is why Google bought Waze for $1.2 billion in 2013

Unlike Google Maps, Waze has created a culture of user engagement. Waze generates many of its maps by using GPS to track "the movements of its nearly 50 million users," according to Bits. ... Google may be buying Waze to spread this culture of user engagement to its other servicesGoogle announced Tuesday that it has acquired Israeli mapping service, Waze, without disclosing what had been reported as its $1.3 billion price tag. But it is not exactly clear why.

Google already offers some of what Waze provides. For example, Google's Android-installed mapping program includes reliable information about traffic congestion and Android users provide Google with updates on average traveling times on the roads.

I think the answer could be a combination of four factors.

1. Waze's user engagement

Unlike Google Maps, Waze has created a culture of user engagement. Waze generates many of its maps by using GPS to track "the movements of its nearly 50 million users," according to Bits. A third of Waze users share "information about slowdowns, speed traps and road closures, allowing Waze to update suggested routes in real time [and its] most dedicated fans can also edit the maps directly to improve their accuracy," writes Bits.

As Bret McVey, a graphic designer in Omaha who made 280,000 changes to Waze’s maps in the last year told Bits, "They created this culture where you can really help others." That culture rewards Waze users with points and badges and gives the top 500 map editors direct access to Waze employees to close the gap between reality and what Waze depicts.

Google may be buying Waze to spread this culture of user engagement to its other services.

2. Keep Waze from Facebook, Apple

As I wrote on June 9, if Google owned Waze, then competitors would not have access to its technology and users. Moreover, since the $1.3 billion cash purchase price is a small fraction of Google's $50 billion cash stash, that reason alone is compelling.

3. Waze adds features that Google Maps lacks

Google Maps lacks key features that are useful to Waze users. According to Globes, "Waze has options to report accidents, police presence, speed cameras and blocked roads, all things that Google does not have."

4. Use Waze as an alternative to Google Maps

Although reports claim that Google will enable Waze's CEO and most of its people to stay in Israel and operate independently for three years, it is possible that Google will keep it running thereafter.

That's because Google might follow a strategy that Microsoft used when it acquired Skype for $8.5 billion in 2011. According to Globes, "Microsoft, which had a rival product called Messenger closed it not long afterwards and currently offers Skype as its solutions for both Internet conversations and immediate messages."

Of these four reasons -- I think the first would be the most valuable since it would boost the long-term value of Google's customer ties. But getting a company the size of Google to adopt the management practices of a small start-up like Waze would be difficult to achieve.

Originally Posted by BooSSted
OEM look is definitely dated even on these relatively newer cars. I primarily use Google as it does have LEO/speed trap alerts just as Waze. Google actually owns waze, im surprised they keep both formats rolling, they should just combine the two for best of both worlds.

Last edited by KGrant; 06-09-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:19 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 578 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
C7 is from 2014 which means it was being developed a few years prior. The Infotainment System and Nav, etc are going to have a dated look and feel.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:24 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
This will tell you what you do and don't have VIN decoder link click here ---------->>>>>>Chevrolet VIN Decoder | Lookup History, Specs, Recall Info and more!

Also, from your home screen you would have a green icon that says "Nav" which means you have navigation. See below:

Did I just buy a 2016 Z06 that doesn't have PDR? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
I don't see where the VIN decoder shows options; only car make/model/"LT". Maybe I missed it ?

I don't HAVE a home screen. I'm trying to discern whether or not an advertised car has NAV. I was thinking the "NAV" button colored amber meant on board NAV was NOT there.

I found the other thread and see that it says there the screen has either a NAV button OR an ON STAR button, not both. Is that true ?

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Vs. Waze Vs. Google Maps