Old 05-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

^^^
Which version of C7 do you have?
Your profile still says you have a C5...
Old 05-23-2021, 05:25 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
^^^
Which version of C7 do you have?
Your profile still says you have a C5...
I still have my C5, but also have a C7 GS. Never bothered to update the profile
Old 05-23-2021, 08:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

^^^
I'll let you know if I see a set in good or new condition.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:12 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by muncie21
I am looking for a set of rear Michelin Pilot Sport tires and can't find them anywhere. May have to go with another brand until Michelin gets back in the game.
Not sure what model you have but check Costco, I just replaced mine and the OEM Pilot SS ZP were available. Mine is a narrow body Z51.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:47 PM
jasesquire
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After five years and 17,000 miles, I ordered my Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP, both fronts and rears, yesterday from the Tire Rack. Delivery tomorrow for installation on Thursday. Reading all these posts, I consider myself fortunate.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:44 PM
jasesquire
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe I have to write this post.

My local Chevy dealer advised me that the car would not pass inspection with the current tires....original tires, 17,000 miles. I agreed and asked for a quote. Two hours later I get another call saying that tires were not available. I was advised to shop the Tire Rack. I did, and the tires were installed this morning as per my previous post. He just called and said that the old tires showed evidence of the need for an alignment. The Tire Rack authorized installer (across the street from my Chevy dealer) does not have alignment equipment, so they were kind enough to drive the car across the street to the Chevy Dealer for me.

Well, Chevy deal just called and said they can not align a Corvette, telling me they can't get the car on the alignment machine. I thought this VERY strange....hey, they are the Dealer. Why don't they have the proper equipment for servicing a Corvette?

Well, I called the next closest Chevy dealer in the next town over, and was told the very same thing.

Now, I'm at a loss. Brand new tires installed, but no Chevy dealer willing to alignment.

My next call is to the independent tire dealers to see if they can do it.

Has anyone else had these difficulties? I can't imagine Chevrolet allowing their dealerships to sell Corvettes without requiring them to outfit their service departments with the proper equipment.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Usually, simply getting onto the alignment machine is not a problem in my area.

Perhaps they are talking about the fact that the rear suspension has adjustable caster, which is almost unheard of. It takes special tools to measure and set rear caster, a normal alignment machine can't read rear caster and the Tech will have to hand-write the numbers on your alignment report. Many dealers don't have the extra tools, in fact some dealers don't even know the rear caster is adjustable.

Just guessing, you rear caster is probably "close enough" if you can't get that part checked, just get the normal stuff done. A small amount of negative camber front & rear will improve your handling and sacrifice only a little tire life. More negative will give better cornering but you'll buy tires more often. Avoid any toe-out, that eats tires and makes the car twitchy.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2021, 07:02 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jasesquire
After five years and 17,000 miles, I ordered my Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP, both fronts and rears, yesterday from the Tire Rack. Delivery tomorrow for installation on Thursday. Reading all these posts, I consider myself fortunate.
Were these GS sizes? Please let us know if your tires arrive - hoping this is a good sign! Thanks

Last edited by PaConehead; 05-27-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

^^^
His profile indicates a Base Stingray.
Today I was at the local Discount Tires, the manager said they can still get the PSS ZP in Base/Z51 sizes, but not in GS/Z06 sizes. He's hopeful the widebody tires will be available before long.

Tire Rack's website says the widebody PSS runflats have the rears in stock, the fronts are supposed to be in stock June 4. I have no idea how accurate that prediction is.

The AS3+ runflats do not show available in any C7 sizes.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 05-27-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires