Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 07:01 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,525 Likes on 868 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

I talked to Jon, the Service Advisor. He has been there a long time, is knowledgeable, and has a good reputation. He said he was in the shop when the Tech was putting in the Mobil1 from the bottle. He thinks the Parts Dept. messed up and I got the Mobil 1 for the AC Delco price.

He is the one that got me through the Tranny Flush, under warranty, and the Mag Ride Update, so my tendency is to believe him.

And I got this from Amazon to make sure there would be no further confusion.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
I talked to Jon, the Service Advisor. He has been there a long time, is knowledgeable, and has a good reputation. He said he was in the shop when the Tech was putting in the Mobil1 from the bottle. He thinks the Parts Dept. messed up and I got the Mobil 1 for the AC Delco price.

He is the one that got me through the Tranny Flush, under warranty, and the Mag Ride Update, so my tendency is to believe him.

And I got this from Amazon to make sure there would be no further confusion.

I wouldn't sweat it, just enjoy her!
Old 03-17-2021, 08:18 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I took my 19' C7 to a local Chevy dealer for an oil change (its first) and specifically asked for Mobil One....I waited in the waiting room while they did the work....they brought the car around and and gave it back to me. The mileage indicator HAD NOT BEEN RESET!? Did they change the oil? Was it brought out to me with no oil put back in? I immediately told the service manager....he immediately called the tech...the tech rushed out and said" oops, I forgot to reset this"...the service manager said, "I will recheck it for you right now if you want" and I said, "No thanks....if it is dry and locks up on me on the way home IT IS ON YOUR NICKEL!" Then I muttered, "I don't know why I ever come here". I never will again....

Getting a reliable oil change done at a dealer is dicy at best. Going forward I will go back to: Buying and furnishing my own oil....and watching the tech every step of the way.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Just MORE dealer BS. See response 2 above... again.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:42 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
I took my 19' C7 to a local Chevy dealer for an oil change (its first) and specifically asked for Mobil One....I waited in the waiting room while they did the work....they brought the car around and and gave it back to me. The mileage indicator HAD NOT BEEN RESET!? Did they change the oil? Was it brought out to me with no oil put back in? I immediately told the service manager....he immediately called the tech...the tech rushed out and said" oops, I forgot to reset this"...the service manager said, "I will recheck it for you right now if you want" and I said, "No thanks....if it is dry and locks up on me on the way home IT IS ON YOUR NICKEL!" Then I muttered, "I don't know why I ever come here". I never will again....

Getting a reliable oil change done at a dealer is dicy at best. Going forward I will go back to: Buying and furnishing my own oil....and watching the tech every step of the way.
It must be really nice to have a job where one actually works and to have never ever made a mistake or forgotten anything!!
Old 03-18-2021, 08:53 AM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

There are many, many jobs where one mistake is that person's loss of that job. We all see examples of that daily. It's called accountability.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 AM
Tommy79
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Same here....

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
I went into the Dealer today to get the oil changed in my 2016 Corvette Z51. I specifically told them I wanted Mobil 1.

When, I got home, I noticed that the work order specified:
use Mobile 1
Kit:OIL10: DEXOS 10 QUARTS
Installed 19419226 :SL-N-Filter (01836-BOPCKT)
Kit: 88865639 :N-oil (08800-BOPCK)

I called back and the Service Writer had gone home. I talked to another Service Writer and she told me that DEXOS is just bulk Mobil 1. She did not know any other specifics.

Can anyone tell by that info if I got Mobile 1?
Probably no way to validate they did put Mobile1 in your car......

Just had my last free oil change 11/13/2020 and my receipt also showed DEXOS oil. I emailed the service manager and they told me that DEXOS is the bulk oil they use for most GM cars, but my C7 did get Mobile1 as its the only oil they stock in quarts. They said they reviewed the video and could see the tech using quarts of oil. I asked for a copy of the video and was told no.
I let this one drop, as I normally do my own oil changes. But I think I know why the dealership only charges $72.00 for a Corvette oil change. My guess is they do NOT use Mobile1.

That was the last time they will do an oil change for me... NOW, I need a link to Mobile1 on sale.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:02 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
There are many, many jobs where one mistake is that person's loss of that job. We all see examples of that daily. It's called accountability.
Bullshit! There are very few jobs you can actually name that are in the pay grade of a dealership oil changer that ONE mistake gets them fired. If every tech got fired when they made their first mistake, there would be no cars because there would be no-one to work on them. The only perfect people around are some of our fellow pompous Corvette owners looking down on those they consider lower than themselves!
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
goldend (03-18-2021), oldbuck (03-22-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 11:10 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I have a 14 year relationship with my local dealer's service department and I've had the same service advisor for those 14 years. He allows me to stand next to the tech while he changes my oil using Mobil1 every time. I watch him take the individual quart containers out of the box....no 55 gallon drum. Now, if I could only get them to do my C8 courtesy delivery from MacMulkin. My local dealer sales department sucks.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:42 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts

I purchase my 5-Gal oil through Walmart or Costco, purchase filter, and drive to my local dealerships where they charge me $25+tax for labor to change my oil with my customer supplied oil and filter.

Last edited by KGrant; 03-18-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:45 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Mobil 1™ – Corvette’s recommended motor oil

Mobil 1™ advanced full synthetic motor oil has served as the factory fill for many Chevrolet Corvettes, including the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, and the recommended service fill for all Corvettes since 1993. As the Corvette evolved into the current world-class C7 sports car, the formulation of Mobil 1 motor oil advanced to meet the demands of these modern high-performance engines.

Mobil 1™ 5W-30 is the recommended service fill for many generations of Corvette, but for all C7 Corvettes we recommend upgrading to Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40. Please download our PDF for more information.

Today, Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40 synthetic motor oil is the factory fill for all C7 Corvette models and can be used by most C7 Corvette owners on both the street and the track (2019 ZR1 owners are asked to use Mobil 1™ 15W-50 for track days).

Mobil 1 motor oils are designed at the molecular level and enhanced with a proprietary additive system to provide outstanding protection against wear, heat, cold weather and sludge buildup – helping to keep Corvette engines running like new.

Last edited by KGrant; 03-18-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:51 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Old 03-18-2021, 12:03 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Here is a pretty extensive review of that Costco oil:

COSTCO carry their Kirkland Signature 5w30 Full Synthetic Oil. The Costco Kirkland brand in many items are very good and they are pretty meticulous with their branded products and I just wonder is this actually Mobil1 5w30 just re-branded to capture an additional market of customers?

Keep in mind, this is along the lines of Brand vs Generic in Prescription Drugs. Many of the generic drug companies are now owned by the Big Brand companies that in simple terms change the color and shape of the exact same pill and those that want the brand pays the branded higher price and those that want savings take a chance on the generic at cheaper price not doing unbeknownst to them they are really the same drug. The drug company is a win-win because they are getting revenue regardless of which you purchase.

So, this brings me to the question of would you use the Costco branded "Kirkland Signature 5w30 Full Synthetic Oil" that cost $27 for 5-Quart 2-Pack in your C7.....Why/Why Not?

Last edited by KGrant; 03-18-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by KGrant

I just got my last free oil change done on my C7 and this is what the dealer used - saw the bottles myself!
Old 03-18-2021, 01:13 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

[QUOTE=iclick;1603164303] I had a dealer do my first three freebies, but only because I trusted them and the tech who did the work, who I specified. No more freebies, so it's DIY from now on and I know it will be (1) done right and (2) using the oil I want to use. It's not that hard either physically or mentally, even for a 73-YO.

It's a work of art, even underneath.
Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Yep, so purdy and clean.............

Same here. Took the free ones, had to battle for Mobil 1, then I started doing my own with the 0W40ESP blend. I know I've got the correct oil and filter, and I know it's not over or under serviced. My only complaint would be that I wish GM had given a bit more clearance between the drain plug and the oil cooler, but a gear wrench solved that.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:49 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
So, this brings me to the question of would you use the Costco branded "Kirkland Signature 5w30 Full Synthetic Oil" that cost $27 for 5-Quart 2-Pack in your C7.....Why/Why Not?
Its Dexos certified so its meets GM requirements and will not void your warranty so its perfectly acceptable in a street driven C7.

Would I personally use it? No... because the cost of a yearly 0W-40 Mobil 1 change (DIY) is not causing me financial grief. An oil change costs about the same as filling up my car twice with gas.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The first time I had the oil changed in my C6Z at the dealership in my new location I was just paying for the oil change when the Service Adviser told me the mechanic wanted to talk to me. After I got my credit card back the mechanic came out of the shop and introduced himself and he said I did an inspection of your car and everything looks good. Despite what the Repair Order indicates I used Mobil 1 as you requested. As he was saying this I was looking at the RO and saw it said Dexos 5W30. He told me he has the same conversation with every first time Customer that has a Corvette since the computer system always indicated Dexos oil when listing the oil used during an oil change. After that I never worried about it. When I started requesting Mobil 1 Dexos2 ESP 0W40 that showed on the RO since they had to special order the oil.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Told Me Dexos Was Mobil 1 in Bulk

Old 03-18-2021, 06:46 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The first time I had the oil changed in my C6Z at the dealership in my new location I was just paying for the oil change when the Service Adviser told me the mechanic wanted to talk to me. After I got my credit card back the mechanic came out of the shop and introduced himself and he said I did an inspection of your car and everything looks good. Despite what the Repair Order indicates I used Mobil 1 as you requested. As he was saying this I was looking at the RO and saw it said Dexos 5W30. He told me he has the same conversation with every first time Customer that has a Corvette since the computer system always indicated Dexos oil when listing the oil used during an oil change. After that I never worried about it. When I started requesting Mobil 1 Dexos2 ESP 0W40 that showed on the RO since they had to special order the oil.

Bill
all four of my freebie oil change work orders used the correct part number for the Dexos2 0w40
Old 03-19-2021, 05:37 AM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,525 Likes on 868 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

I got the oil cap I ordered on Amazon. It is an. AC Delco Part and came in an AC Delco Bag.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Tommy79
Probably no way to validate they did put Mobile1 in your car......

Just had my last free oil change 11/13/2020 and my receipt also showed DEXOS oil. I emailed the service manager and they told me that DEXOS is the bulk oil they use for most GM cars, but my C7 did get Mobile1 as its the only oil they stock in quarts. They said they reviewed the video and could see the tech using quarts of oil. I asked for a copy of the video and was told no.
I let this one drop, as I normally do my own oil changes. But I think I know why the dealership only charges $72.00 for a Corvette oil change. My guess is they do NOT use Mobile1.

That was the last time they will do an oil change for me... NOW, I need a link to Mobile1 on sale.
You probably need to look for Mobil 1 (without the "e"), since a search for Mobile 1 (with the "e") will probably land you at a T-Mobile website for a new phone.

Quick Reply: Dealer Told Me Dexos Was Mobil 1 in Bulk