C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the triple flush really fixed the A8 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,824 Likes on 5,638 Posts

I haven't had any issues with my 2017 A8 GS either, however I will have the triple-flush done at some point as seems it's been proven a better fluid for the A8, and covered under your power train warranty so why not?

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-06-2021 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C7Flash (03-14-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It worked for me.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:31 PM
budjo
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Worked for my 2017. No more shudder.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:03 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

I have yet to do something with my C7 on this. However, about 15 months ago my DD 2016 CTS4 started to shudder out of nowhere at 16K miles. Took it to the stealer and they did the flush (this car has the 8L45 transmission, same as the L890 with a smaller TC) and immediately the issue was solved and still is now @ 23K. I need to get tshe C7 in.....

Last edited by jimmie jam; 03-08-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:25 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

I just got a 2018 GS, A8.
3000 mi so far. No issues.
GM dealer tech suggested to get it done next time I'm in.
I'll listen to him!
Its free, can only help, so why not!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:10 PM
dvesco
Heel & Toe

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I had it done last year to my 2015 z51. I did have the shudder and hard shifting. They changed it out with the new fluid and it made a big difference. Im happy with it now.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:53 AM
Tommy79
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 215 Posts

The real question is....

Anyone still having A8 issues AFTER the fluid change? Just seems this issue has been resolved but lives on "on-line."

Or maybe its just folks from the company that make the Range device posting issues...... Just kidding.. No rocks please.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:20 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy79
The real question is....

Anyone still having A8 issues AFTER the fluid change? Just seems this issue has been resolved but lives on "on-line."

Or maybe its just folks from the company that make the Range device posting issues...... Just kidding.. No rocks please.
If anybody still has problems after the fluid change then something else is going on

1-Fluid change was not done properly
2- Converter clutch was to far gone
3- TCM update to modify converter engagement was not done
4- Just a fluid change does not fix harsh shift complaint , harsh shifting is fixed by doing a garage relearn, some people say they had their fluid changed and now it shifts better ... had nothing to do with the fluid and everything to do with the garage relearn process that any good corvette mechanic would do as part of the flush

And #5 - the shudder the customer was feeling had nothing to do with the trans in the first place , so many people bash the A8 because they think the flush will fix and GM lifted the diagnostic requirements to approve the flush so every dealer just automatically does the flush when in fact it might not have anything to do with the transmission . Several trips to the dealer to fix and then they bash the transmission

My own car started to shudder..... except it started at 33,000 miles and right after I put 4 brand new MPSS run flats on the car so I knew it was not the transmission, 3 road force balances later my car is smooth as silk .Anything that rotates had the possibility of setting up a harmonic imbalance and thats why the dealers should use the PICO test

I use the Range and now my tune to keep my car out of 4 cylinder mode not because of shudder but because of AFM lifter failure.....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 03-14-2021 at 09:23 AM.
kdochert (07-19-2023)
Old 03-14-2021, 09:34 AM
drsuperman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

so far so good with my 2015
Old 03-14-2021, 02:13 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 887 Likes on 576 Posts

Worked on my 2016. No more shudder. Shifts better/smoother, particularly the 1-2 and 2-3 at light throttle.

Last edited by TxLefty; 03-14-2021 at 02:14 PM.
C7Flash (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:59 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Holy crap guys...
The triple flush and the relearn fixes the issue. Relax on the A8 already!
I really think the OPs question is valid considering those of us who've been stung by shudder, delayed engagement, and other problems. My 2015 A8 was such a mess that I had the TC change and 3x flush done (early 2017), then traded it on a GS M7. In my case the 3x flush was probably not done with the upgraded fluid, as the thrust at the time was to blame the TC. GM went through several TC changes before they decided the fluid was the problem, several years after the problem first surfaced. I'm sure had I kept the car the problem would've recurred, especially considering where I live (S. LA) where humidity is a lifestyle.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:19 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by iclick
I I'm sure had I kept the car the problem would've recurred, especially considering where I live (S. LA) where humidity is a lifestyle.
I don't believe the Hydroscopic story one bit , Transmission fluid has been around for how long and in how many vehicles? ....
it was always about the AFM and trying to lock up the converter for that last MPG number that tore up so many converters until they came up with the TCM update which modifies the way the TCM pulses the lock up converter and the new fluid which has a different friction modifyer
GM never could figure out cylender deactivation yet they keep trying

I still have the same old hydroscopic trans fluid in my 15 , the difference is my AFM as been turned of .....

Dave
Flame Red (03-15-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 07:32 PM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
From the information I've read on here, the triple flush is the fix. It seems the first batch of transmission fluid was hydroscopic and sucked in water like a sponge. Bad JuJu for the transmission. The new juice that came out in late 19 is supposed to fix the problem. Search for threads on this topic and you can see the exact type of fluid needed for the A8 transmission.

I think this is the stuff: A8s must use Mobil 1 LV ATF HP 124715 transmission fluid. Dexron Badge

Elmer
Elmer,
I have never had the "shudder" problem on my 2015 A8. However when driving slowly at times the car will lurch forward as if someone bumped me from behind. Will the flush do anything for this problem? What does the triple flush cost for a car off warranty?
Old 03-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I drove my 15 A8 for four years, 38k miles, and it never shuddered.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:11 PM
Ice9812
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
If anybody still has problems after the fluid change then something else is going on

1-Fluid change was not done properly
2- Converter clutch was to far gone
3- TCM update to modify converter engagement was not done
4- Just a fluid change does not fix harsh shift complaint , harsh shifting is fixed by doing a garage relearn, some people say they had their fluid changed and now it shifts better ... had nothing to do with the fluid and everything to do with the garage relearn process that any good corvette mechanic would do as part of the flush

And #5 - the shudder the customer was feeling had nothing to do with the trans in the first place , so many people bash the A8 because they think the flush will fix and GM lifted the diagnostic requirements to approve the flush so every dealer just automatically does the flush when in fact it might not have anything to do with the transmission . Several trips to the dealer to fix and then they bash the transmission

My own car started to shudder..... except it started at 33,000 miles and right after I put 4 brand new MPSS run flats on the car so I knew it was not the transmission, 3 road force balances later my car is smooth as silk .Anything that rotates had the possibility of setting up a harmonic imbalance and thats why the dealers should use the PICO test

I use the Range and now my tune to keep my car out of 4 cylinder mode not because of shudder but because of AFM lifter failure.....

Dave

i have a 16 z06/z07 with 14k. I bought the car with 8k on it last year and bought the Range unit immediately. I never felt a shudder until a trip to a dealer and they put in the new trans fluid in around 13k miles. I just took the car out after winter and the “shudder” is still there. The dealer looked at it again rebalanced the tires did an alignment and said I have a small bend in one of my rear wheels but balanced good. I was told to put a new set of rims and tires on to see if it goes away. The thing is I only feel the shudder when I get on the gas at a low rpm in the 50-65 mph range but if I get back off the gas in those speeds it stops. I’m not sure which direction to go next because I don’t believe it’s caused by the rim. Am I wrong. How to I find out if the TCM update was done as well?

thank you
Old 03-16-2021, 07:00 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ice9812
i have a 16 z06/z07 with 14k. I bought the car with 8k on it last year and bought the Range unit immediately. I never felt a shudder until a trip to a dealer and they put in the new trans fluid in around 13k miles. I just took the car out after winter and the “shudder” is still there. The dealer looked at it again rebalanced the tires did an alignment and said I have a small bend in one of my rear wheels but balanced good. I was told to put a new set of rims and tires on to see if it goes away. The thing is I only feel the shudder when I get on the gas at a low rpm in the 50-65 mph range but if I get back off the gas in those speeds it stops. I’m not sure which direction to go next because I don’t believe it’s caused by the rim. Am I wrong. How to I find out if the TCM update was done as well?

thank you
Are u confusing Shudder ,the feeling like you are riding on rumble strips that comes and goes with a vibration ?
If you have a range unit plug into the car and you are feeling a vibration chances are its something else.
Just manually shift the car, get it up to the same speed and gear that you feel your vibration normally. If its gone when you manually shift the car .... its shudder , if its still there you have something else going on that is causing it . Could be the rim could be rotors out of balance ( unlikely but .) Anything that rotates can possibly setup the same harmonic vibration that mimics the shudder ...thats why there are so many complaints about the fluid NOT fixing the shudder

If you want to be sure ask your dealer to run the PICO test , which they should have done before dismissing your vibration as the rim, make sure they have somebody who knows how to do it

Dave
Old 03-16-2021, 07:32 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
My 2016 had the shudder and the replacement of the trans oil made the transmission shifting a lot smoother and no shudder. I know the original repair was for a "triple" flush but by time mine was done that was changed to just a simple drain and replacement of the fluid.
Same for me.
Single flush was the recommendation.
Worked fine, but I did add the Range device after the single flush.

Get notified of new replies

To Has the triple flush really fixed the A8 issues?

Old 03-16-2021, 09:18 AM
Ice9812
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Are u confusing Shudder ,the feeling like you are riding on rumble strips that comes and goes with a vibration ?
If you have a range unit plug into the car and you are feeling a vibration chances are its something else.
Just manually shift the car, get it up to the same speed and gear that you feel your vibration normally. If its gone when you manually shift the car .... its shudder , if its still there you have something else going on that is causing it . Could be the rim could be rotors out of balance ( unlikely but .) Anything that rotates can possibly setup the same harmonic vibration that mimics the shudder ...thats why there are so many complaints about the fluid NOT fixing the shudder

If you want to be sure ask your dealer to run the PICO test , which they should have done before dismissing your vibration as the rim, make sure they have somebody who knows how to do it

Dave
yes I have the Range plugged in since I got the car with 8k miles a year and a half ago. I never noticed the “shudder” until around 13k miles.

its not as “aggressive” as a rumble strip but its “wobbles”/“shudder” when stepping on the gas at lower RPMs. I’ll have to put it in manual mode and take notice if it goes away. It’s just odd that as soon as I let off the gas it stops and that would lead me to believe it’s not the wheel causing it but I could be wrong.

the dealer was saying it could be a part that connects the torque tube but they didn’t want to rip the car apart until I rule out the bend in the wheel
Old 03-16-2021, 09:53 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

I had the flush done and it made the shifting much firmer and more responsive. I have been running the Range device so I haven't noticed any shuddering for a while.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:06 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ice9812
yes I have the Range plugged in since I got the car with 8k miles a year and a half ago. I never noticed the “shudder” until around 13k miles.

its not as “aggressive” as a rumble strip but its “wobbles”/“shudder” when stepping on the gas at lower RPMs. I’ll have to put it in manual mode and take notice if it goes away. It’s just odd that as soon as I let off the gas it stops and that would lead me to believe it’s not the wheel causing it but I could be wrong.

the dealer was saying it could be a part that connects the torque tube but they didn’t want to rip the car apart until I rule out the bend in the wheel
You are in a tough spot

So the Range stops the car from going into 4 cylinder mode which is when you would feel the shudder caused by the converter locking and unlocking which would be the same thing if you manually shifted the car as this also keeps the ECM from engaging AFM but .... that does not mean that there might not be a problem with your torque converter lockup clutch . When you let off the gas and it stops it sounds like to me it's the converter , have they loaded the latest TCM firmware update as this modifies how the converter locks up . The converter never really locks up 100 % , it actually pulses and this program changes the behavior of the lockup

Dave

Quick Reply: Has the triple flush really fixed the A8 issues?