C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you like the C8 more or less now than when it was revealed
I like them more
50.00%
I like them less
34.00%
I can’t like it more I love it
10.00%
I can’t dislike it more I hate it
6.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

C8 More or Less

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:27 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Agreed. The rear end is the most disappointing part of the car
MANY people said the same thing about the C7.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:32 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm staying with my C7 because it's pretty much my dream car. However, I've recently had two opportunities to observe the C8 coming at me while driving on country back roads. It's very, very impressive. I thought it was a Lambo at first until it got closer and I could see it was a Vette. Interesting, I saw a Porsche 911 on the same road. It didn't look nearly as impressive as the Vette. Actually, looked kind of dated. The C8 is beautiful and an awesome looking car. But I'll stay with my C7.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:35 PM
mickeyone
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evrgrn
i couldn't vote in your poll since none of the choices were appropriate.

I like the c8 about the same now as when it was released. It's a cool car, though i'm not a fan of every design decision on the car - both interior and exterior.

Despite generally liking the car, it's not for me since my definition of a (mainly weekend) sports car has a manual transmission.
ditto
Old 03-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
MANY people said the same thing about the C7.
True. Mainly because of the tail lights. Vast departure from the C5 and C6 and other generations that had the iconic round tail lights. At the end of the day, the change for the C7 made sense, just like the turn away from pop-up headlights when the C6 debuted.

The C8 design is a little odd to me, the rear end is the most odd part of the design, IMHO. Might grow on me in time. Of course, the rear end isn't the really the deal breaker for me right now...

In my 14 years of Corvette ownership, 2 C5s, 2 C6s, and now 2 C7s, I've managed to have the middle of the run for a particular generation (2001, 2009, and 2016) and one each from the end of a generation's run (2004, 2013, 2019). In my experience, the best Corvettes I've ever owned were the ones from the end of a generation's run.

I might not wait that long for the C8, but I'd like to see where Chevy takes the mid-engine design before I go out and buy one. I think given the radical change from C7 to C8, Chevy has done a good job, not without hiccups, but a good job. Especially after decades of sub-par and failed attempts to make a mid-engine car (the Fiero was a disaster in my opinion, I never wanted to own one, had a friend who did and I wasn't impressed). I think Chevy is only going to make the mid-engine Corvette platform better. Not sure when the C8 run will end, but I'm sure I'd rather have one from the last year of the run (whenever that may be) than a 2020 or 2021.

Last edited by Chemdawg99; 03-02-2021 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeremie Fischer (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 03:19 PM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

I replied that I like them more, only because there was no "same" option. I guess I like them slightly more in person that in pics, so I guess that counts.

I kinda agree with Chip Foose, it almost seems like there's a missing generation between the 7 and 8, almost like it departed from it's long nose and short rear deck too quickly.

I also don't see myself ever getting one, unless they decide to make a manual, which it doesn't seem like they'll do. (yes I know DCT are faster, manuals are dead technology blah blah blah, still not as fun, no matter how many random dudes on the innerwebs tell me I'm wrong and I don't know what fun is, it's literally not going to change my mind, lol)

I think they look cool, and it's exciting to see one on the road, they just aren't quite for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by El_Phantasmo:
Chemdawg99 (03-02-2021), Jeremie Fischer (03-02-2021), rtruman (03-07-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by El_Phantasmo
I replied that I like them more, only because there was no "same" option. I guess I like them slightly more in person that in pics, so I guess that counts.

I kinda agree with Chip Foose, it almost seems like there's a missing generation between the 7 and 8, almost like it departed from it's long nose and short rear deck too quickly.

I also don't see myself ever getting one, unless they decide to make a manual, which it doesn't seem like they'll do. (yes I know DCT are faster, manuals are dead technology blah blah blah, still not as fun, no matter how many random dudes on the innerwebs tell me I'm wrong and I don't know what fun is, it's literally not going to change my mind, lol)

I think they look cool, and it's exciting to see one on the road, they just aren't quite for me.
@bold: I'm not a fan of manual transmissions myself. Thanks to my Army service, I have two pretty bad knees that make driving a manual not advisable for me given how I'd drive it and where I'd have to drive it (Maryland/DC/Virginia traffic in many spots is not a fun situation for a manual). That said, the first thing I ever learned to drive in the Army was a manual Deuce and a Half truck with a split differential. There is a fun factor and connection to the car that is missing with any automatic transmission, so I'd never try to tell anyone who'd prefer a manual that they are wrong in their preference for one. Unfortunately, it isn't cost effective for most automakers to build and sell two different transmissions for the same model of car, especially if one is outselling the other, though I think if they offered a manual transmission as a pricy option, there are people who'd gladly pay the premium. I hope GM is listening...

Back to the C8, again, the look hasn't grown on me yet. I think they look cool, too, but not as cool as my 2019 C7. Of course, Corvette has to evolve with the times while preserving the past. They did a great job with the C5, C6, and C7. Methinks they will succeed with the C8.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:32 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

True. Mainly because of the tail lights. Vast departure from the C5 and C6 and other generations that had the iconic round tail lights. At the end of the day, the change for the C7 made sense, just like the turn away from pop-up headlights when the C6 debuted.
The C7 and even more so with the C8 GM is trying to get away from the classic Corvette look in an effort to attract new customers. They are clearly willing to alienate some customers in order to gain new ones. Given the mid-engine is a radical engineering departure its not surprising they went full crazy on the look. GM wants everyone to know this a totally new car and not your father's Corvette. Thus the polarizing look is very purposeful, it represents a line in the sand that some people will never cross.
Chemdawg99 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:17 PM
RonF-vette
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Just looked over a used 2020 HTC at the local dealer. There were "do not touch" signs taped to it, and the salesman said that it is kept locked. Anyway, as a confirmed soft top guy, I don't think I'd like driving it with the top down as much.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:29 PM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

I think if they offered a manual transmission as a pricy option, there are people who'd gladly pay the premium.
I agree, I'm one of those suckers who would pay an upcharge if I had to!

LOL

Chemdawg99 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:34 PM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

If you have a few minutes, this is an interesting watch. This is what I was referring to when I mentioned Chip Foose's take on the C8, and his quick "fix" that is kinda cool too.

I'm not a huge fan of his style, but as mentioned, I agree with his point that the the C8 went too far too fast.

I think it would eventually go where it has gone with little or no drama or controversy, but I think there is a missing generation in there, perhaps Chip has found it?

Last edited by El_Phantasmo; 03-02-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:45 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 749 Likes on 563 Posts

Another option should of been ,or the same. I feel the same way when it was released to when I saw it . Back end needs to be sleeker IMO. *** end looks out of proportion to the rest of the car. So I feel the same as before
The following 2 users liked this post by mdolandese:
Chemdawg99 (03-02-2021), rtruman (03-07-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 06:37 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

I am a fan, but refuse to buy a first year base model car again. I did it in 05 and in 14 and refuse to do it again. I will be a buyer of a z06 or above.

The platform is a game changer, but I don't want a LT2 at all. They're too limited.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I always find fascinating how incredibly conservative enthusiasts are.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't like them when i first saw them in pictures... They look better in person, but there are some angles where it looks butt ugly. I think the back end is too big and the front is too small. Looks like 2 different engineering teams worked on each half and smashed it together. I don't think the c7 has any bad angles.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Soleks84
Cruising

Received 36 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated them when they first came out. I thought the rear looked like a camaro and wasn’t a fan of the wheels in any trim, still not. But when I saw a Rapid Blue one cruise by on my way to work one day, I had a sudden change of heart. It kept my attention for the whole time it passed. Ended up seeing another one at the dealership and getting to walk around it, and I was sold. Ended up trading in my Torch Red C7 for the C8 Z51. Really happy with it, but it’s not for everybody. It really is a tame ride compared to the C7, but that’s what I’m looking for at this point in my life :-) still think the back should look more like this:
https://cdn-motor1-com.cdn.ampprojec...rendering.webp

Last edited by Soleks84; 03-03-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:14 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,523 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by EBvette02
I don't think the c7 has any bad angles.
Agreed 100%. But let’s not forget this is one of the most popular memes around here as far as some non-C7 guys are concerned. Even to this day, many can’t make peace with the C7 tail lights

Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 PM
JTBogus
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 228 Posts

I am constantly amazed at the number of posters on the C8 Forum that unabashedly admit that they don't like the C8! What am I missing? What is the point of spending so much time reading & commenting on the posts if all you have to say is that you don't like the marque? If you love your C7, then say so ON THE C7 FORUM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 More or Less

Old 03-03-2021, 09:45 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by JTBogus
I am constantly amazed at the number of posters on the C8 Forum that unabashedly admit that they don't like the C8! What am I missing? What is the point of spending so much time reading & commenting on the posts if all you have to say is that you don't like the marque? If you love your C7, then say so ON THE C7 FORUM.
Stop... it’s a forum... it’s the internet... people that say they don’t like the c8 are just like people that said they didn’t like the c7. They are just trying to make themselves feel better about not owning a c8. A corvette owner will always be a corvette owner and c7 owners will own a c8 in due time.

I don’t own a c8.... but I will... because that’s what corvette owners do.

Last edited by C7&7; 03-03-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:00 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 749 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Soleks84
I hated them when they first came out. I thought the rear looked like a camaro and wasn’t a fan of the wheels in any trim, still not. But when I saw a Rapid Blue one cruise by on my way to work one day, I had a sudden change of heart. It kept my attention for the whole time it passed. Ended up seeing another one at the dealership and getting to walk around it, and I was sold. Ended up trading in my Torch Red C7 for the C8 Z51. Really happy with it, but it’s not for everybody. It really is a tame ride compared to the C7, but that’s what I’m looking for at this point in my life :-) still think the back should look more like this:
https://cdn-motor1-com.cdn.ampprojec...rendering.webp
WOW!! That’s what I’m talking about. If the C8 had an *** end like that she’d have my attention
Old 03-04-2021, 08:26 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

The C8 design is a little odd to me, the rear end is the most odd part of the design, IMHO. Might grow on me in time. Of course, the rear end isn't the really the deal breaker for me right now...

In my 14 years of Corvette ownership, 2 C5s, 2 C6s, and now 2 C7s, I've managed to have the middle of the run for a particular generation (2001, 2009, and 2016) and one each from the end of a generation's run (2004, 2013, 2019). In my experience, the best Corvettes I've ever owned were the ones from the end of a generation's run.

I might not wait that long for the C8, but I'd like to see where Chevy takes the mid-engine design before I go out and buy one. I think given the radical change from C7 to C8, Chevy has done a good job, not without hiccups, but a good job. Especially after decades of sub-par and failed attempts to make a mid-engine car (the Fiero was a disaster in my opinion, I never wanted to own one, had a friend who did and I wasn't impressed). I think Chevy is only going to make the mid-engine Corvette platform better. Not sure when the C8 run will end, but I'm sure I'd rather have one from the last year of the run (whenever that may be) than a 2020 or 2021.
I remember when you could get locked or banned for mentioning the C7 tail lights. I guess that is no longer a problem.

Last edited by ryoder; 03-04-2021 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: C8 More or Less