Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay Issues (resolved for now)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 11:09 AM
coolhandsy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay Issues (resolved for now)

I utilized the forum yesterday to finally solve my CarPlay problems, so I wanted to write up a quick summary in case someone else has been having any of these problems. Almost all of the solutions I performed I acquired from various threads on here. My CarPlay has experienced a full cascade of degradation:

1)Would intermittently disconnect and then reconnect
2)Would intermittently disconnect and then not reconnect

3)Projection icon would not change to CarPlay logo, but if you select it, it still would bring up carplay
4)Projection icon would not change, selecting it wouldn't change the screen, but car play was still enabled because it would disconnect bluetooth connection

To solve #1 and 2, I switched to an actual Apple branded cable. The knock-off cable I was using seemed to fail whenever it got above a certain temp (usually on longer road trips). Other solutions to this issue I have seen discussed include cleaning out the charging port on your phone to ensure no lint etc has gotten stuck preventing a solid connection. Also, trying another USB port has helped some people.

To solve #3 and 4, I went into the settings menu and performed a factory reset. I spent a lot of time researching to find a button combination to hard reset it, but I never found one (my Ford has a button combo which I've had to use a few times). I did find the developer menu... but obviously that did nothing for me. Prior to the factory reset I tried multiple cables and iPhone combinations to ensure it wasn't a cable or phone software issue. I also tried resetting my phone's CarPlay settings (on the screen where you customize your CarPlay screen through your phone's CarPlay settings). I did not try factory resetting my phone, but I decided it wasn't necessary since I had multiple generations of iPhone running various software versions.

Hopefully this streamlines someone's troubleshooting.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I had similar problems last summer basically did every thing you tried to solve problem Plus using iphone and cables in another vehicle with Carplay, no problems in other vehicle. But eventually problem kept occurring in my 17 GS even after factory reset and deleting and reinstalling Carplay After this happened again I noticed my Iphone also was showing it wasn't charging when Carplay was going from connected to disconnected. Then would show charging when Carplay reconnected by it self. I bought and replaced the usb port in center console and haven't had a problem sense new usb port installed. Thinking when driving motion caused something in bad port to cut in & out causing problem. In my case if car was not moving the car play would always stay connected it was while I was driving that's when it would act up. Usb port was easy to pop out and unplug old and plug in new port and pop back to place took 5 - 10 minutes. Cost of new usb port was cheap on E-bay.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 02-28-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:48 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

The attached link solves your Carplay problems, it works great in my 2016 Z. I could never get Carplay to work right wit he cable, the device solved all my problems.

https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...xoC0HoQAvD_BwE

Get notified of new replies

To CarPlay Issues (resolved for now)

Quick Reply: CarPlay Issues (resolved for now)