Sponsored by:

Beyond Mad... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 09:19 PM
brentvossler
Cruising

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default Beyond Mad... thoughts?

I just bought my C7 ZO6 last week, well I知 traveling between Ohio-> Nebraska -> Texas where it will be put in a garage. But unfortunately I知 stuck in Nebraska for a couple of weeks before I can get back home to out the car in the garage. I drive a company truck so the Corvette just sits under a car cover for now at the motel. Well the wind was blowing very hard so I figured I would take the cover off instead of it slapping the car. It also snowed about 5 inches last night. I can deal with the snow on the car before I deal with scratches from the cover slapping the car for 12 hours.

well... this afternoon I discovered someone toon the liberty to clean all the snow off my car. WITH A HARD BRISTLE SHOP BROOM! The paint job was flawless on the car. Now I致e got atleast a dozen or more scratches in the paint all over the car... the car is black, deep white scratches, some as long as 2-3 feet down the sides of the car. Across the trunk, hood, side mirrors.

the 10 year old kid that lives at the hotel, the owners kid did it. I went to the front desk and inquired and they told me that he did it with his hands. Obviously lying. I知 so livid.

should I let this go? It was a kind gesture, and the kid obviously likes the car, it was the only one he cleaned off.

or should I send a bill? New paint job? Touch ups? I致e never really cared about this before even on my other corvettes. But not this new-to-me flawless ZO6.

just had to vent maybe but I知 beyond pissed off about this... pics to come in the morning with more daylight.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:45 PM
Palmetto64
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts

I would talk to the owners and show them the damage. Sure, the boy didn't know any better, but that doesn't absolve the parents of their responsibility for his actions. If you can feel the scratches with a fingernail, then they won't come out with a paint correction. Hopefully, the damage isn't this extensive and they agree to pay for a correction. If the conversation doesn't go well, then you may be in for a court battle. Take plenty of pics.

Last edited by Palmetto64; 02-06-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,815 Likes on 5,636 Posts

That's truly unfortunate. I would place more blame on the parents than their 10 year old kid as like many of us he probably just loves Corvettes from a very young age and thought he was doing you a favor.
I assume they have business insurance to cover such things.

I'm curious as to why you, your new Z06 and evidently your work truck were all stuck in Nebraska for 2 weeks on your way back home to Texas? Did you combine a trip to purchase/pickup your Z06 with a business trip?

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 02-06-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:11 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Slightly off topic, unless the car has replacement all season tires on it you CANT MOVE THE CAR IN THE SNOW or you risk massive tire failure. The OEM tires can’t tolerate freezing temperatures, check the owners manual for details.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:28 PM
firstvette99
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

fi you can afford a c7 z06 i would figure you can afford a shipping co.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:36 PM
brentvossler
Cruising

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I went and picked up car in Ohio, traded in my truck, drove it to my job site where I値l only be for a couple more weeks. When this job is over, I just leave my work truck here and a new one is waiting for me in Texas so I値l drive my car there and put it up.

I feel bad because the kid obviously likes my car and thought he was doing something nice.

...a ******* shop broom...

at this point just can稚 stop laughing as the tears roll down my face...

Old 02-07-2021, 12:38 AM
03ki11er
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 21 Posts

That痴 tough. See if their insurance will cover it. Maybe offer to pay the deductible? Hopefully it痴 not as bad as it seems. Let the kid know he did a good deed but educate him on paint and quality care. Maybe take him for a spin. He値l never forget it.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:29 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 705 Likes on 406 Posts

Yeah that sucks. That will probably be a 40 hours of paint correction.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 AM
Fricket
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Very sorry to hear. I'd be tempted to rage, but hope that I'd gather myself and stay cool Sounds like you're doing your best. BREATHE... Could have been a broom, or maybe gloves or whatever. Doesn't really matter now. Can't be undone. I woulldn't want some ding dong running into my car either, but I know it can happen and that's why we have insurance. It's not just a car. It's a corvette - I know. I hope that I would stay on the high ground. That kid was probably drooling over that car and saw his chance to "help" you out and get close to it. Maybe show him how adults handle these things, talk to him. Maybe even give him a ride, share your passion for the car and find a way to help him understand. I'd hope the parents would also show him how adults hanlde these situations and step up to cover the deductible. Again, very sorry to hear. Just work the problem and try to move on. Easy for me to say, right? Good luck!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:05 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Man, hate to hear. I have two short stories and will then give my advice.

Story 1: I was probably 12 and wrote wash me on a relatives tailgate when it was dirty. I received quite the butt chewing but my uncle explained that while I thought it was funny, what I did could damage the paint. That incident carried with me for the rest of my life. Bottomline, while stern, he took the time to explain why he was upset in a calm manner. No damage was done.

Story 2: My 4 year old twins at the time were helping my dad wash his new Suburban. Little did he know, they were helping with some brillo pads from the kitchen. Good news, most of the scratches and swirls were down low. When I arrived at the house my Dad was pretty heated but he took it well and admitted he should have been paying attention. Those twins were his best buddies. I offered to pay to have the Suburban repainted and tried to offer him several checks. He loved telling that story for the rest of his life but never took me up on my offer to fix it. Of course, it was family and he loved those boys.

Your situation is a little different. I think if it were me I would ask the parents with their permission to explain to the kiddo that while his intentions were good, the damage it created but on the flip side, let the kid sit in the drivers seat. he obviously has an appreciation for it and you will just reinforce that while teaching him a life lesson, much like I was taught in Story 1 above. Doubt the parents will volunteer to fix the problem but you never know once they see you are upset but patient with the kid. If that does not happen, you have two choices, sue or just take care of it yourself. I would probably just take car of it on my own. Sucks and hate it for you. Wish you luck and can definitely understand your pain.
The following users liked this post:
Fricket (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:09 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Fricket
Very sorry to hear. I'd be tempted to rage, but hope that I'd gather myself and stay cool Sounds like you're doing your best. BREATHE... Could have been a broom, or maybe gloves or whatever. Doesn't really matter now. Can't be undone. I woulldn't want some ding dong running into my car either, but I know it can happen and that's why we have insurance. It's not just a car. It's a corvette - I know. I hope that I would stay on the high ground. That kid was probably drooling over that car and saw his chance to "help" you out and get close to it. Maybe show him how adults handle these things, talk to him. Maybe even give him a ride, share your passion for the car and find a way to help him understand. I'd hope the parents would also show him how adults hanlde these situations and step up to cover the deductible. Again, very sorry to hear. Just work the problem and try to move on. Easy for me to say, right? Good luck!
Ahhh, Fricket and I see it the same way. He just beat me to it.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:40 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Have consult with good detail shop & turn it over to your insurance company. Of course explain to young man what happen as a result of his action. Life!
Old 02-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

^^^ Agree. A good detail shop can have it looking better than new. Still sucks.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:07 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Not sure how I would handle it. Very easy as I type on my keyboard to say explain to the kid and his parent the damage, get it detailed, give the kid a ride in the Z, etc. Realistically I would be looking for some compensation from the kids Father, let's not forget the Father lied about his Son using his hands to clear off the snow.
The following users liked this post:
astepup (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:20 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

WOW, I really feel bad for you. That really sucks. I hope it all turns around in your favor. Keep us informed.
Good Luck,
Rich
Old 02-07-2021, 12:05 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Most businesses have liability insurance. Any businessman (or woman) without it is at risk for being sued and having to pay any judgements out of pocket. I would ask the owner to place a claim with his insurer. Hope that you are able to resolve the situation favorably and have your car's paint restored to its original condition.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteright
Most businesses have liability insurance. Any businessman (or woman) without it is at risk for being sued and having to pay any judgements out of pocket. I would ask the owner to place a claim with his insurer. Hope that you are able to resolve the situation favorably and have your car's paint restored to its original condition.
Not sure how that would go if the business owner explained to the insurance co. the exact circumstances. Maybe if a piece of the building fell on the car. I do not know anything about insurance but, just my thoughts.
Once again,
I REALLY feel for you !!!
Good luck !
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Beyond Mad... thoughts?

Old 02-07-2021, 12:20 PM
khearon23
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I say let it go....

File a claim with your insurance and move on. I doubt the parents will be willing to assist.
It's a Corvette, but it's truly just a car...with paint that can be corrected.

Same thing happened to my Stingray (black as well). Culprits were my daughters wiping the car with old hand towels daily while I was away. The hood and hatch were horrible. I recently had it corrected and then wrapped and feels like I got a new car again. I can't even see fingerprints on the car anymore.

Order restored. Life is good!
Old 02-07-2021, 03:03 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by brentvossler
I just bought my C7 ZO6 last week, well I知 traveling between Ohio-> Nebraska -> Texas where it will be put in a garage. But unfortunately I知 stuck in Nebraska for a couple of weeks before I can get back home to out the car in the garage. I drive a company truck so the Corvette just sits under a car cover for now at the motel. Well the wind was blowing very hard so I figured I would take the cover off instead of it slapping the car. It also snowed about 5 inches last night. I can deal with the snow on the car before I deal with scratches from the cover slapping the car for 12 hours.

well... this afternoon I discovered someone toon the liberty to clean all the snow off my car. WITH A HARD BRISTLE SHOP BROOM! The paint job was flawless on the car. Now I致e got atleast a dozen or more scratches in the paint all over the car... the car is black, deep white scratches, some as long as 2-3 feet down the sides of the car. Across the trunk, hood, side mirrors.

the 10 year old kid that lives at the hotel, the owners kid did it. I went to the front desk and inquired and they told me that he did it with his hands. Obviously lying. I知 so livid.

should I let this go? It was a kind gesture, and the kid obviously likes the car, it was the only one he cleaned off.

or should I send a bill? New paint job? Touch ups? I致e never really cared about this before even on my other corvettes. But not this new-to-me flawless ZO6.

just had to vent maybe but I知 beyond pissed off about this... pics to come in the morning with more daylight.
You may have to file a lawsuit against the motel.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:52 PM
Leslie70
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
Ahhh, Fricket and I see it the same way. He just beat me to it.
Well said GRACE. Who knows this little one may grow up to own one himself one day. It will be a learning and teachable moment. I know we could go off and do or say whatever to the parents n=but in the end that would be pretty self serving.
Bring it to their attention they may pay for the detailing. If not, dust off your feet at the door and chalk it up as a loss.

Originally Posted by Fricket View Post

Last edited by Leslie70; 02-07-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Beyond Mad... thoughts?