C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use weighted knob on MGW shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Clareymark
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRajMahal
Oh interesting. I got it ordered last night, hoping mine fits! I may just trim down the MGW shaft if I have issues.

What new adapter did you have to get?
Sorry, just got my second covid shot and been I bit under the weather. I haven't ordered the new adaptor yet. Will contact MGW for shaft diameter and then select an appropriate adaptor based on that dimension.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Szabol
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Clareymark
Here's my 2018 Stingray 2LT with MGW shifter (non- flat blade) with a Raceseng Stratose Leather ****. Weighs 419 grams (0.92 pounds). Definitely provides for a smoother shifting action.
So exactly what did you order?1 \ Select Your Finish1 x Stratose Core + Cap - Black Matte $75.00 ( 8 In Stock )2 \ Select Your Material1 x Stratose Cover - Leather $105.00 ( 22 In Stock )3 \ Select Your Engraving1 x Ring Engraving $25.004 \ Select Your Adapter1 x Cadillac CTS-V \ Chevrolet Corvette C6 - C7 Adapter (NTA) $20.00 ( 31 In Stock )Anything Else? Particularly the

Shift Boot Retainer (TA) - was that required.

What's' that ring at the bottom of the shift ****, between the shift **** and the leather boot?
Old 02-06-2021, 01:27 PM
Clareymark
Heel & Toe

You have selected exactly what I did. The ring you mention is the shift boot collar (in the components section). It cleans up the interface between the **** and boot. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Szabol
Racer

Thanks, ordered!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:11 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You DO NOT need a shift boot retainer if you have a Non-threaded Adapter (NTA)
Old 02-06-2021, 11:12 PM
Szabol
Racer

Originally Posted by RWE 427
You DO NOT need a shift boot retainer if you have a Non-threaded Adapter (NTA)
thanks for the tip. I didn’t order it. The answer to my follow-up question clarified it. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:03 PM
Clareymark
Heel & Toe

Correct!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:38 PM
TheRajMahal
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

You have selected exactly what I did. The ring you mention is the shift boot collar (in the components section). It cleans up the interface between the **** and boot. I highly recommend it.
Hey @Clareymark how did you get this installed?

(EDIT - got it installed)

I could not get the NTA on the MGW shaft for the C7 ... so what I did was order a 9/16-18 threaded shaft from MGW, and the threaded adapter from Raceseng. I installed the raceseng threaded adapter onto the shaft, but I can't get the shift boot collar/retainer low enough for the **** to screw on all the way. Its bottoming out on the MGW shaft bolt where it screws into the shifter. Did you just not screw the MGW shaft all the way down?

Last edited by TheRajMahal; 02-24-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:52 PM
TheRajMahal
Advanced

So, I got it installed. I just had to back the MGW shaft out a 1/4” or so and there was just enough room to get the **** screwed in. Looks/feels great!!

For those of you with the MGW, buy the threaded shaft from MGW, and the threaded adapter from Raceseng. The raceseng non threaded adapter for the C7 will NOT fit over the MGW. ( It’s like $15 for a new threaded shaft from MGW )

Last edited by TheRajMahal; 02-24-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:27 AM
Clareymark
Heel & Toe

So, I got it installed. I just had to back the MGW shaft out a 1/4” or so and there was just enough room to get the **** screwed in. Looks/feels great!!

For those of you with the MGW, buy the threaded shaft from MGW, and the threaded adapter from Raceseng. The raceseng non threaded adapter for the C7 will NOT fit over the MGW. ( It’s like $15 for a new threaded shaft from MGW )

That looks great! I removed my **** and filed the non threaded MGW shaft down so that the non threaded adaptor went all the way down, which worked great.
I did consider doing what you did, but I was able to get this done without re-ordering parts. But if I were doing it again from new I would do exactly what you did!
How do you like it?
Old 03-01-2021, 06:36 PM
Szabol
Racer

I got some goodness in the mail.

Here's some before pictures - new shiftboot from Redline Goods, RACENG, and a replacement boot for the bracket at the bottom to snap into place.

Replacement supply leather with Orange stitching

RACENG parts

Opened RACENG products

All the goodies
Old 03-01-2021, 11:05 PM
TheRajMahal
Advanced

That looks great! I removed my **** and filed the non threaded MGW shaft down so that the non threaded adaptor went all the way down, which worked great.
I did consider doing what you did, but I was able to get this done without re-ordering parts. But if I were doing it again from new I would do exactly what you did!
How do you like it?
I love it!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 PM
Szabol
Racer

This guy won’t slide down

Stuck on this lip. I expect it to slide over this shaft

Another angle

So I’m getting ready for the final install and the adapter doesn’t slide over the shift lever like one would expect. What key step am I missing?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:47 PM
TheRajMahal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Szabol

This guy won’t slide down

Stuck on this lip. I expect it to slide over this shaft

Another angle

So I’m getting ready for the final install and the adapter doesn’t slide over the shift lever like one would expect. What key step am I missing?
Is that the MGW shaft?

it won’t fit. I ended up ordering the threaded shaft from MGW and threaded adapter + boot collar for TA from Raceseng

alternatively you can file it down like another member did but I opted to just buy the parts
Old 03-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Szabol
Racer

I dont have a link but you can Google raceseng shift ***** to get their website. Yes it does require an adaptor (sold on their website). Just a note - I purchased the adaptor for the standard C7 shifter, but the MGW shaft is slightly larger in diameter, preventing the adaptor from sliding completely down on the shaft. Result is the **** is currently about 1/2 inch higher than it could be. I'm in the process of ordering a new adaptor that fits all the way down the shaft. It does not affect the performance of the new ****, fit is still tight, but I think I want to get it a bit shorter.
if you have a flat stick then obviously that will require a different adaptor.
Ok, so there's a surprise.
What was the new adaptor you ordered to fit down the shaft all the way. What's the model number. Also did you order anything different from MGW. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:52 PM
Szabol
Racer

Hey @Clareymark how did you get this installed?

(EDIT - got it installed)

I could not get the NTA on the MGW shaft for the C7 ... so what I did was order a 9/16-18 threaded shaft from MGW, and the threaded adapter from Raceseng. I installed the raceseng threaded adapter onto the shaft, but I can't get the shift boot collar/retainer low enough for the **** to screw on all the way. Its bottoming out on the MGW shaft bolt where it screws into the shifter. Did you just not screw the MGW shaft all the way down?
Raj,
i just arrived at the same path you did. Also ordered a new **** (Orange), so my brand new black leather **** will be up for sale shortly with the standard C7 adapter.

any tips or lessons learned from your install?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:22 PM
TheRajMahal
Advanced

Ok, so there's a surprise.
What was the new adaptor you ordered to fit down the shaft all the way. What's the model number. Also did you order anything different from MGW. Thanks for the clarification.
9/16-18 threaded shaft from MGW, and the 9/16-18 threaded adapter from Raceseng (+boot collar/retainer)

Raj,
i just arrived at the same path you did. Also ordered a new **** (Orange), so my brand new black leather **** will be up for sale shortly with the standard C7 adapter.

any tips or lessons learned from your install?
Its pretty straightforward once you have the right parts! The boot caller/retainer needs some space to slide up into the **** so I couldn’t thread the shifter shaft all the way down... if you go down all the way, then back it out 1/2” that should be good. The threaded shaft is not on MGW’s site so you’ll have to call them.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use weighted knob on MGW shifter?

Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 AM
Szabol
Racer

Thanks Raj,
i have emails into both. Hope I can get it squared away today, and installed next week.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 PM
Szabol
Racer

Raceseng 0811056 9/16 by 18 Threaded adapter for a C5. Ordered the 9/16-18 threaded shaft from MGW

All will arrive in the next week or so.

note this is for the standard round shaft MGW. Will post pictures so mine looks as good as yours.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:04 PM
Szabol
Racer

MGW C5 part 9/16-18 threaded Rod

Raceseng part on the MGW part.

Remove the old shaft part from the MGW shifter

Follow instructions for mounting it all together and install the shift **** from Raceseng.

The big reveal....

Not quite a match to the Sebring Orange Rev Match paddles, but good enough for this summer

Comparison of C7 shift **** shaft on right and the Raceseng shift **** 9/16-18 threaded shaft which is a MGW C5 shaft mated to 0811056 Raceseng Threaded adapter
Parts are here, photos to follow

Quick Reply: Anyone use weighted knob on MGW shifter?