C5 to C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Went from a C5, that I loved, to a C7. Considered buying a C6 on a few occasions, actually got down to a final price with C5 trade in on at least a couple times. They're nice cars, but it wasn't enough of a jump from the C5 to justify the expense. With the C7, I loved the technology upgrades and the way better interior. The traction control on the C7 is lightyears ahead of the C5. When my C5 rear tires broke loose, the reaction to gain control of the car had to be fast because it became unwieldly quickly. The only time the C7 has broken loose is on a sharp turn, in cold weather and recovery is quick with just some light feathering of the throttle. The C5 couldn't handle what I dished out in spirited driving, so I always had to hold back. The C7 can handle way more than I'm willing to dish out, I have total confidence in the C7 that I never had in the C5.
The C5 coupe has the roomiest interior of any Corvette. It's larger than both the C6 and the C7. I carry a road bike in my Vette from time to time. With the C5 it just fell into the rear compartment, no problem. With the C6 I could get it in the compartment (I tested it), but it was a very snug fit. The C7 is a tighter fit than the C5, but easier to work with than the C6, at least it is for me.
One drawback to the C7 is the blind spot on the right hand side. You'll want to set your right hand mirror very carefully. The A-8 transmission was introduced in 2015 and newer C7s and it had initial issues with shuttering that is associated with the transmission dealing with the fuel management program that shuts down 4 cylinders. However, this problem has been overcome with a new fluid that was introduced 2 years ago. Since then, there have been far fewer complaints on this forum about that issue. Also, you can buy a "range" device that eliminates the fuel management engine change and leaves the car in 8 cylinder mode all the time, or you can drive the car in manual mode and that will keep the car in 8 cylinder mode. You should read up on this, but don't let any nay sayers talk you out of buying an A8, it works great with the new fluid or with a range device or both. The 2014 C7 auto is the A6 that was used in the C6. It is problem free. If you buy a wide body C7 (GS or Z06) be aware that there is a wheel cracking issue with those models that can be pricey to correct. The base model and Z51 do not have this issue. However, coming from a C5 I'm sure you are well aware of wheel cracking issues (the 5 spoke, polished C5 wheels). Don't let the issues with the C7 discourage you as the C6 has a number of issues too including the leaking gas tank (there's a sticky on that forum).
As for getting in and out of the C7, I didn't detect much difference between the two models, C5 or C7. If had to pick one as easier, it would be the C5, but not by much. If you are into the newest electronics then you might want to find out what newer C7s offer over the early 2014, 2015 models. I'm not into any of that.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:02 AM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Went from a C5, that I loved, to a C7. Considered buying a C6 on a few occasions, actually got down to a final price with C5 trade in on at least a couple times. They're nice cars, but it wasn't enough of a jump from the C5 to justify the expense. With the C7, I loved the technology upgrades and the way better interior. The traction control on the C7 is lightyears ahead of the C5. When my C5 rear tires broke loose, the reaction to gain control of the car had to be fast because it became unwieldly quickly. The only time the C7 has broken loose is on a sharp turn, in cold weather and recovery is quick with just some light feathering of the throttle. The C5 couldn't handle what I dished out in spirited driving, so I always had to hold back. The C7 can handle way more than I'm willing to dish out, I have total confidence in the C7 that I never had in the C5.
The C5 coupe has the roomiest interior of any Corvette. It's larger than both the C6 and the C7. I carry a road bike in my Vette from time to time. With the C5 it just fell into the rear compartment, no problem. With the C6 I could get it in the compartment (I tested it), but it was a very snug fit. The C7 is a tighter fit than the C5, but easier to work with than the C6, at least it is for me.
One drawback to the C7 is the blind spot on the right hand side. You'll want to set your right hand mirror very carefully. The A-8 transmission was introduced in 2015 and newer C7s and it had initial issues with shuttering that is associated with the transmission dealing with the fuel management program that shuts down 4 cylinders. However, this problem has been overcome with a new fluid that was introduced 2 years ago. Since then, there have been far fewer complaints on this forum about that issue. Also, you can buy a "range" device that eliminates the fuel management engine change and leaves the car in 8 cylinder mode all the time, or you can drive the car in manual mode and that will keep the car in 8 cylinder mode. You should read up on this, but don't let any nay sayers talk you out of buying an A8, it works great with the new fluid or with a range device or both. The 2014 C7 auto is the A6 that was used in the C6. It is problem free. If you buy a wide body C7 (GS or Z06) be aware that there is a wheel cracking issue with those models that can be pricey to correct. The base model and Z51 do not have this issue. However, coming from a C5 I'm sure you are well aware of wheel cracking issues (the 5 spoke, polished C5 wheels). Don't let the issues with the C7 discourage you as the C6 has a number of issues too including the leaking gas tank (there's a sticky on that forum).
As for getting in and out of the C7, I didn't detect much difference between the two models, C5 or C7. If had to pick one as easier, it would be the C5, but not by much. If you are into the newest electronics then you might want to find out what newer C7s offer over the early 2014, 2015 models. I'm not into any of that.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I mentioned possibility going with a C6 and my wife (the bargain shopper) immediately started surfing the web for C6s. Hearing all this feedback tells me a C7 with the new ATF will be my best choice. The sale of my 142,000 mile spotless C5 went without a hitch today and the sale of my ‘70 coupe a few months back have the kitty primed for a sizable purchase. Tomorrow I may check out the Nightrace Blue 2LT I spotted. I am currently without a Corvette so I’m anxious to refill that spot in the garage.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:22 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Owned:
C4
C4
C4
C4
C5 - never owned, but put 40K miles on 2
C6
C7
C7

Hands down - C7
C3
C3
C3
C3
C3
C3
C3
C5
C6
C7

Agree. C7 by far.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,388 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Had 3 C5s and now a C7. I liked my C5s a lot, but hands down, at least to me, the C7 is a much better car. Yes, the C5 had more passenger and cargo room, but the advancement in technology, handling and power between the two generations is vastly in favor of the C7.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:06 AM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mineolajoe
Thanks for the input. The 2016 2LT coupe I’m looking at with A8 and the Performance Exhaust option is looking better all the time. CarFax shows the torque converter was replaced so maybe that fixed the shudder I’ve read about and you mentioned. The 2019 is going to be out of my price range. I wouldn’t rule out a low mileage 2014 if I could find one.
Replacing torque converter is major surgery that was performed by who knows who. I would recommend getting one that was screwed together by the ladies in Bowling Green using their error-free torquing fixtures. C7s are mechanically durable so it should be very easy to find one that has not been disassembled.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Kehraus
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Mirrors that tilt, LOL!
I have the #2 button setup like that and simply touch the button and it does that. I use it when somebody tailgates me so their lights aren't shining in my eyes. After they're gone, hit button #1 and its back in business.

Biggest adjustment for me coming from a C5 to a C7 was that the C5 was more like you're riding 'on' the car, the C7 is more like riding 'in' the car. They just 'feel' different.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:01 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
have them both and the C5 is roomier and has better visibility, and better radio , C7 is nice and has a higher grade interior
my C5z is more nimble and old school.
and has 110 less hp....
Old 01-23-2021, 09:56 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

C3
C2 big block
C2
C2
C2 Split window
C2 side pipe 67
C6 Z06
C2 split window
C7 Stingray 1LT

Wanted the C7 tired of working on them.
Wanted the last manual shift found a new 2019 with 2000 miles jumped on it wanted the NPP exhaust .
Made the choice very low mileage 2019 Stingray last front drive and M7
Didn't drive the Z06 much traded it for the last split window ,
I like the C7 hands down just the way it is getting used to driving it.
More power than enough power for sure styling also .
Great spot to be in .
Old 01-23-2021, 10:06 AM
JMoore5196
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I went from a C5, which I loved and kept for 7 years, to a C7. The C5 is roomier and easier to access, but the C7 driving experience is far superior.

If you enjoy the creature comforts the C7 offers, like the digital displays, CarPlay, heated seats and so on, it's a lovely car. I just sit and smile every time I'm in mine.

Still, I would not hesitate to buy another well-maintained C5 with the thought of keeping it for a decade or so. The quantum leap Chevrolet made between C5 and C7 is very evident, but the C5 is still a very dependable and more nimble car to own and drive.
The following users liked this post:
Mineolajoe (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:17 AM
NorthernProducer
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents here since I'm a few years older than you. I don't see the need to repeat a lot of the advice already given, but having owned a C4, C5 and now a C7, I find the C7 to be more comfortable, less of worry relative to scraping over driveway approaches and I especially enjoy the added horsepower over my C5. I know you are concerned with getting in and out of the Vette you may choose, and I believe my C7 is much easier to enter and exit than my C5....and I have broken back. Good luck with your shopping and enjoy what ever you Vette end up buying.
Mineolajoe (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:20 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Went from a C5 Z06 to a C7 Grand Sport and absolutely loved the C7. Don't miss anything about the C5.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I also went from a 2004 C5 (convertible) to a 2019 C7 Z06 (coupe) with the Z07 package. Like many have already commented, I skipped the C6 generation and purchased the last production year model for both the C5 and C7. You won’t be disappointed in the change as the C7 is really an improvement in platforms and IMO is the best of the front engine designs.

My C7Z is the fire breathing beast I’ve always wanted. It’s a blast to drive and with the Competition Seats, I feel as though I’m part of the car when driving it. The M7 makes me feel even more connected and adds to the fun of the driving experience.

I kept my C5 and couldn’t let it go as I customized it over the years and really improved it in every way over stock. Performance, lighting, stereo system, interior leather trim, etc., all got upgrades. It drives incredibly well although noticeably louder (road noise) as it’s a convertible. I try to drive it at least once each week and usually choose it if I plan to drive in heavy traffic to give my left leg the day off.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:00 AM
Zeek
CF Superior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20,'21-'22-'23-'24
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

I have owned 17 Corvettes in my life. Everything from a C1 to now a C7. (see list on my profile) I hated the C6, loved the C5's but I am totally crazy about my C7! I would advise you totally skip the C6 and to to the C7....but what do I know...

Just sold my wide body C5 and got this '15 3LT C7.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:47 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 278 Posts

Go on the C6 forums and ask the same question.. You'll get the opposite answer..
Old 01-23-2021, 12:58 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,759 Likes on 2,133 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Love the C5 great all around car.. great touring car..that being said I would not give up my C7 for dollars or doughnuts.. I feel they are the apex of the front engine Corvettes.. they should have made them along with the new cars in my opinion,, just can't beat the looks of the front engine cars for some folks. Design cues are obviously very different in a front vs. rear engine design.. but they are all Corvettes at the end of the day no matter what you go with.. be happy
Old 01-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Zeek
CF Superior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20,'21-'22-'23-'24
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Originally Posted by Goat 2 Vette
Go on the C6 forums and ask the same question.. You'll get the opposite answer..
You're probably right....but in their hearts they know there is no comparison between the C6 and the C7.... The C7 is light years ahead of the C6 in looks and performance...

Last edited by Zeek; 01-23-2021 at 01:12 PM.
dvilin (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:50 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

One other consideration. I know this is hard to believe, but the C6 is only two years from reaching the 10 year out of production mark where GM can discontinue required support.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 to C7

Old 01-23-2021, 04:55 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Mineolajoe
Thanks for the input. The 2016 2LT coupe I’m looking at with A8 and the Performance Exhaust option is looking better all the time. CarFax shows the torque converter was replaced so maybe that fixed the shudder I’ve read about and you mentioned. The 2019 is going to be out of my price range. I wouldn’t rule out a low mileage 2014 if I could find one.
I haven't been keeping up with the litany of A8 issues and changes that have been going on now for five years, but I was under the impression the TC wasn't the root problem with earlier cars. In fact, it was the earlier ATF chemistry that allowed too much water absorption, which may have been corrected with the latest Mobil1 formula. Not sure, but if I purchased another A8 (I wouldn't!) I would make sure it had the newest ATF variant. If you get the 2016 it might have some power-train warranty remaining, which would be insurance for A8 problems, but if so it wouldn't last long. If I bought another A8 (did I mention that I wouldn't?) I would certainly invest in an extended warranty.

There were other issues with the A8, like delayed engagement and/or hard shifting when cold, that involved o-rings that isn't fixed with a fluid change. Only pulling the tranny, which is major surgery, can rectify that. My 2015 A8 had both issues: shudder and delayed engagement, but GM wouldn't fix the latter when the tranny was already out of the car for the TC swap because I couldn't demonstrate it to a service tech, as it would do it only sporadically when cold. After two years of the hassle I had the TC replaced and two weeks later traded it for my current 2017 M7, which restored the good life once again. YMMV, and I sincerely hope your experiences with the A8 turn out better than mine.

Last edited by iclick; 01-23-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:47 PM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
Love the C5 great all around car.. great touring car..that being said I would not give up my C7 for dollars or doughnuts.. I feel they are the apex of the front engine Corvettes.. they should have made them along with the new cars in my opinion,, just can't beat the looks of the front engine cars for some folks. Design cues are obviously very different in a front vs. rear engine design.. but they are all Corvettes at the end of the day no matter what you go with.. be happy
Totally agree with you on the dual line Corvette...that was always rumoured up to the launch of the C8. That way it would've given those of us who aren't interested in a mid-engined model and want a manual transmission, an ongoing choice. Not at this point sadly.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:04 PM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I haven't been keeping up with the litany of A8 issues and changes that have been going on now for five years, but I was under the impression the TC wasn't the root problem with earlier cars. In fact, it was the earlier ATF chemistry that allowed too much water absorption, which may have been corrected with the latest Mobil1 formula. Not sure, but if I purchased another A8 (I wouldn't!) I would make sure it had the newest ATF variant. If you get the 2016 it might have some power-train warranty remaining, which would be insurance for A8 problems, but if so it wouldn't last long. If I bought another A8 (did I mention that I wouldn't?) I would certainly invest in an extended warranty.

There were other issues with the A8, like delayed engagement and/or hard shifting when cold, that involved o-rings that isn't fixed with a fluid change. Only pulling the tranny, which is major surgery, can rectify that. My 2015 A8 had both issues: shudder and delayed engagement, but GM wouldn't fix the latter when the tranny was already out of the car for the TC swap because I couldn't demonstrate it to a service tech, as it would do it only sporadically when cold. After two years of the hassle I had the TC replaced and two weeks later traded it for my current 2017 M7, which restored the good life once again. YMMV, and I sincerely hope your experiences with the A8 turn out better than mine.

I’m hoping they changed to the new ATF when the torque converter was replaced but haven’t seen any records on it yet. An M7 would be my preference but my wife wants an auto. She can drive a manual as well as I can, just doesn’t want to. I told her about the rev matching feature and she perked up but it didn’t change her mind. The delay when cold I can probably live with. I looked at the car in person today and it is spotless for a ‘16. A 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper warranty at Chevy dealers is about 2k so I’ll spring for it if I buy the car. One odd thing about it is having Michelin run flats on the back and Pirelli non-run flats on the front, all very new. It may not be an issue but I haven’t mixed brands since I was in my teens and bought whatever I could find and afford.

Quick Reply: C5 to C7