C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feels like I'm being forced into a '14 model...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 09:35 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieBianco
3. Ultimately wind up looking harder at '16 models with the AA already on the head unit.
Not all 16s have the AA head unit, it was a mid year addition.
The following users liked this post:
CharlieBianco (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I am a big fan of Android Auto and would never buy a car without support in the OEM head unit. I had a 2016 with PDR and it doesn’t compare to Android auto. I also don’t like aftermarket units. So for me a 2017 and up is required.
The following 2 users liked this post by ryoder:
CharlieBianco (01-12-2021), Keithwinnfl (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:48 PM
CharlieBianco
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Not all 16s have the AA head unit, it was a mid year addition.
Originally Posted by ryoder
I am a big fan of Android Auto and would never buy a car without support in the OEM head unit. I had a 2016 with PDR and it doesn’t compare to Android auto. I also don’t like aftermarket units. So for me a 2017 and up is required.
Yes Tom, thank you. I'll be on the lookout for the RPO code if I should get a '16. Thanks for the head's up as well.

Ryoder, I agree. Android Auto is important to me so I'll be out to get it. I've found that websites like infotainmentdotcom have an $1100 upgrade to get AA onto your vehicle regardless of year, so I might just have to do that as a worst-case scenario. I might land on a '15...I'm not sure to be honest...I'm going to buy something by next week at the latest though.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Simple, just get an M7 and never give it another thought.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:30 PM
Keithwinnfl
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

also re A8 tran triple flush - per service bulletin its only for pre-Feb 2019 cars... i thought i needed it then learned my car was built Feb 2019 ... i think the 10th.. and that's after the reference window of the service bulletin. Apparently cars built earlier than that had a different trans fluid and changing, by flushing out the old three times, allowed the new stuff to do its trick and remove the prior issue.. so - if i am correct, don't worry about a triple flush if you find a car newer than Feb X, 2019.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keithwinnfl:
CharlieBianco (01-12-2021), CorvetteBrent (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 PM
CharlieBianco
Advanced

Originally Posted by Avanti
Simple, just get an M7 and never give it another thought.
I'm going to get a C6 Z06 (and replace those pesky headers!!!) to learn a manual transmission, or, if money is tight, I'll fall back to a C5 Z06. I won't get a C7 in anything except auto because this was the year that the autos were faster than the manual transmissions.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:14 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm going to get a C6 Z06 (and replace those pesky headers!!!) to learn a manual transmission, or, if money is tight, I'll fall back to a C5 Z06. I won't get a C7 in anything except auto because this was the year that the autos were faster than the manual transmissions.
You're getting a C7? Or, you’re getting a C6 Z06? I love my C7 Convertible, but if someone put a gun to my head, I would sell it and keep my C6Z. The LS7 is intoxicating and very addictive. Mine is a 2007, so the head unit is laughable honestly. I’m taking it to get a new sound system installed in a couple weeks with wireless AA, and all the bells and whistles of a state-of-the-art electronic system. I know you said you were buying something very soon, but I would advise taking your time, researching, and buy the right car.

They are all awesome BTW
CharlieBianco (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Tracking a convertible?

Originally Posted by Rickybobby571
I intentionally searched for a 2014 because of the transmission reliability. I also searched for a non Z51 because I like the nice ride (I had a C6 Z51 that rode rock hard horrible). Never planning to track the car, nor do I think you can track a convertible. Can you?
Some tracks ban convertibles, some require a roll bar and/or roll cage, and and some allow it without any special requirements.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:12 AM
JamieJT
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Other than the head unit, the only other features on a '16 are a flat bottom steering wheel and chrome start button
Old 01-13-2021, 11:41 AM
corvette-v
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Our 2014 C7 Z51 A6 - no problem with transmission. It shifts nicely with exhaust pops when pushing it, only drawback - it does not shifts frequent enough and it is a lot of fun when it does.

Last edited by corvette-v; 01-13-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Buttersvette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I don’t know, but in doing research on the GM A8 transmission which they used in several platforms, it is pretty much a disaster and is not good. I happen to have the A6 and it’s okay but fairly slow in going about its thing. That being said, I just bought a 2020 Cadillac XT5 Sport with the new 9 speed Transmission ( after hearing this was the cure) and it’s worse than the A8 ever could be. Rough, and can’t decide what gear to be in. I hate it and with only 3100 miles, I’m ready to dump it. Doesn’t feel like a 61000 car to me.
I completely agree. I had A8 and it drove me crazy. Never seemed happy in the gear it was in. I guess you solve that with manual shift. But the dreaded shudder started and RPM drops while cruising at highway speeds just drove me crazy. My solution was to sell it 3 months later and bought a manual. Will never look back.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieJT
Other than the head unit, the only other features on a '16 are a flat bottom steering wheel and chrome start button
And electric trunk pull down
Old 01-13-2021, 02:18 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 278 Posts

I thank you guys a ton! I'm reading all of the feedback. I am staring at a '14 right now with like 8k miles for about $42k, clean carfax. I'm about to pull the trigger. It's a 2LT non Z51, the non Z51 is weighing on me a bit to be honest.

So you guys really think the Android Auto isn't worth it? I will check a few YouTube videos to see if it's really not worth it. See, when my Note20 Ultra is in Bluetooth mode with the car, I can't hear my notifications and any navigation I am using isn't displayed on screen. Yes, I could get a mount which would take care of that, I suppose...

...but does anyone know if there's an option to retrofit a '16 headunit?
I was in the same position last July. I knew if I wasn't patient and didn't get a Z51 it would bother me forever. The you don't really need it advice is a personal choice. There are other options that come with a Z51 you don't normally get with a base model. Get the Z51.. You'll be happy you did.
Also, I have a 14' and my android syncs to the radio great. I don't even know what Android play or whatever you call it does. I can stream pretty much anything to the radio. I wouldn't worry about the upgraded software. Its pretty much my weekend car. Depends on what price bracket you want to be in also. Mine came with Billy Boat fusion exhaust and an ECS supercharger for 41k. 25k miles on it and it looks like new. Its a 3LT and no dash problems. I think its more of a problem in the south or west and in sunlight.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM
CharlieBianco
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jason71
You're getting a C7? Or, you’re getting a C6 Z06? I love my C7 Convertible, but if someone put a gun to my head, I would sell it and keep my C6Z. The LS7 is intoxicating and very addictive. Mine is a 2007, so the head unit is laughable honestly. I’m taking it to get a new sound system installed in a couple weeks with wireless AA, and all the bells and whistles of a state-of-the-art electronic system. I know you said you were buying something very soon, but I would advise taking your time, researching, and buy the right car.

They are all awesome BTW
Hey Jason. I'd be getting both at separate times. I want a C7 to promote my business and a C6 Z06 to learn stick (It'd be high miles for that reason, and the headers would have to get taken care of right away because they're a known issue). The C6 interiors including stereo were horrible at best lol. Good that you got the upgrade with your headunit! I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm definitely taking my time and I am also researching, which is what brings me here as well
Jason71 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM
CharlieBianco
Advanced

Originally Posted by Goat 2 Vette
I was in the same position last July. I knew if I wasn't patient and didn't get a Z51 it would bother me forever. The you don't really need it advice is a personal choice. There are other options that come with a Z51 you don't normally get with a base model. Get the Z51.. You'll be happy you did.
Also, I have a 14' and my android syncs to the radio great. I don't even know what Android play or whatever you call it does. I can stream pretty much anything to the radio. I wouldn't worry about the upgraded software. Its pretty much my weekend car. Depends on what price bracket you want to be in also. Mine came with Billy Boat fusion exhaust and an ECS supercharger for 41k. 25k miles on it and it looks like new. Its a 3LT and no dash problems. I think its more of a problem in the south or west and in sunlight.
Yeah I am concentrating heavily on a Z51 at this point. It isn't 100% necessary but it does have some of the things I want. I won't be taking the car to the track initially, but I do plan on some spirited legal driving and perhaps, if I am feeling froggy, I'll take it to the track one day.

Android Auto is best described here:

Sounds like you've got an awesome setup! I am jealous of your car man! I hope to come back soon and be able to share similar feelings about my car as you have about yours!
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Is that all people care about? You lose the fun factor of a manual. I'll take the slower car.. Except, mine has a supercharger.. :P Its faster than an auto :O
Old 01-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Buttersvette
I completely agree. I had A8 and it drove me crazy. Never seemed happy in the gear it was in. I guess you solve that with manual shift. But the dreaded shudder started and RPM drops while cruising at highway speeds just drove me crazy. My solution was to sell it 3 months later and bought a manual. Will never look back.
Put a stall converter in it, you will have a huge smile on your face and I think it will solve the shudder problem also.

Get notified of new replies

To Feels like I'm being forced into a '14 model...

Old 01-13-2021, 04:11 PM
CharlieBianco
Advanced

Is that all people care about? You lose the fun factor of a manual. I'll take the slower car.. Except, mine has a supercharger.. :P Its faster than an auto :O
Yeah, we young guns tend to lean toward tech. It's been shown that the A8 is faster than manual, so I am happy with that, but I have respect for the Manuals since I am looking to get a C6 or C5 Z06
Old 01-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Is that all people care about? You lose the fun factor of a manual.
While I like manuals, most do not. They do not find any "fun factor" in a manual, only inconvenience. Thus the vast majority pay a premium for an automatic.

Last edited by Elk; 01-13-2021 at 06:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elk:
Kevin A Jones (01-13-2021), ryoder (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:24 PM
VTHokie07
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
While I like manuals, most do not. They do not find any "fun factor" in a manual, only inconvenience. Thus the vast majority pay a premium for an automatic.
I'm 36 and on my fifth corvette, all manuals. My brain is wired such that it just feels wrong to get an automatic corvette. I can't bring myself to do it, even if an automatic is marginally faster. Unless you're drag racing at every light and need that extra tenth, the manual can't be beat. It's substantially more fun in a sports car.

I'll also acknowledge that some get an auto so the wife can drive or for medical reasons. Outside of that, why buy one?

Quick Reply: Feels like I'm being forced into a '14 model...