Sponsored by:

Touring/Sport/Track mode question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 12:08 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Touring/Sport/Track mode question

I am going to sound ignorant asking this but will suffer the consequences anyway.

Does the suspension(ride) change between the different modes? I will assume the 'Track' mode might/would be stiffer....or is it. Don't use it so not sure.
I do alternate between Touring and Sport and definitely hear the exhaust difference. But I don't really feel the difference in the suspension(ride). Is there really a difference.

thanks

Old 12-31-2020, 12:12 PM
PJG65
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick answer, if you have magnetic shocks, yes.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:15 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Yes Tour, Sport, Track all have different ride qualities.

In the settings you can have the exhaust and steering set to whatever style you prefer regardless of mode. Little annoyed you can't do the same with the suspension like the ZL1. My preference was Track mode with suspension set to touring, and steering set to sports.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:02 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by PJG65
Quick answer, if you have magnetic shocks, yes.
What he said. If you have mag-ride the difference between the modes is very noticeable.

More details...

Please note there is a typo in the chart above as Exhaust Mode should say "if equipped" since it only applies to C7s with the NPP (performance exhaust) option.
The following 5 users liked this post by JMII:
Drkhrse (01-27-2021), dvilin (12-31-2020), JDM111er (01-03-2021), Ron_Attleboro_MA (01-04-2021), sgt1372 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

GM also sells, through the dealers, an updated computer program for the Mag Ride system that makes Tour and Sport better both in comfort and in handling. About $300, and worth every penny. On some years, like our 2017, the Track mode doesn't get changed and that's a real shame.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:14 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Like others have said, it does change with each setting. By the way, please do not think you are ignorant by asking things like this. I have learned a great deal by asking questions on this forum. Also, be careful driving on the road in Track mode as that stiffens the suspension enough to cause damage if you are not driving on a smooth surface.
The following users liked this post:
Kehraus (12-31-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:20 AM
vettebob2
Racer

Default Thanks for the info

I have a 2015 Z51 with magnetic ride. I 'thought' I felt a "slight" difference when I first got the vehicle 2 years ago. But I am not noticing a difference between the two modes now? Maybe it's just me; one is not supposed to glide along like a limo but it seems the stiffer ride is noticed no matter what mode I choose between the two??? Maybe it's the tires? they're the 'Performance' tire and maybe up here in the Georgia Mnts. (such as they are) and cooler temps ....maybe that is it??? I would get the Michelins 'All Weather' that I have had on other Vettes and really like them.....there is still tread (such as it is) on these current tires and so can't see spending the money. Maybe I should just get off my wallet..................
Old 01-01-2021, 11:29 AM
vettebob2
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
GM also sells, through the dealers, an updated computer program for the Mag Ride system that makes Tour and Sport better both in comfort and in handling. About $300, and worth every penny. On some years, like our 2017, the Track mode doesn't get changed and that's a real shame.
This is interesting? How does one investigate this? I live in a rural area and not so sure my local 'rural' chevy dealer is going to be much in the know about this. Since this is a computer software update is it something 'we' can do ourselves.

thanks
Old 01-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,831 Posts

MSRC makes a huge difference between modes. You mentioned you have it so something isnt right.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebob2
This is interesting? How does one investigate this? I live in a rural area and not so sure my local 'rural' chevy dealer is going to be much in the know about this. Since this is a computer software update is it something 'we' can do ourselves.

thanks
It can be an issue at any dealer as they aren't used to dealing with upgrades. When you walk in the door and ask for it they will automatically think you are talking about the updates that are released by GM to address operating issues. Thus, you get the cold shoulder and you don't know what you are talking about attitude. You need to have the copies of the upgrade description that include the instructions for the dealer to follow. Then you need to get them to read the instructions and make the proper phone calls to GM. Once they get the correct GM department on the line they will be told what to do and how much to charge. I doubt your small dealership will be any harder than some of the very large dealerships. It takes a Service Writer and a mechanic who listen and understand to get it done.

I have noticed in this thread people haven't told you the secret of Track Mode. Once you move the dial so Track Mode shows on the DIC, push the dial's center button twice to get to the Track Sub Modes. Once you see WET show on the DIC you know you have entered the sub mode menu and you can turn the dial to select either WET, DRY, SPORT1, SPORT2 or RACE. WET and DRY have full Stability Control, Traction Control, PTM and Throttle Dampening. SPORT1 has a Competition Mode type Stability Control, NO Traction Control, PTM and Throttle Dampening. SPORT2 has NO Stability Control, NO Traction Control, PTM and Throttle Dampening. RACE has PTM.

PTM is Performance Traction Management and it combines various functions of the car to enhance on-track performance. I have used WET, SPORT1, SPORT2 and RACE modes. The Corvette New Owner school at Spring Mountain suggests SPORT1 is a general all-around selection that doesn't really hinder most driver's capabilities. It doesn't interfere until you do something stupid. SPORT2 and RACE let you be stupid in varying degrees. SPORT2 will dampen the throttle so you can't make sudden changes in torque to the rear wheels. RACE lets you dump everything to the rear wheels at once and if you didn't know enough not to do that TOO BAD. In a Z06 you can spin road race slicks at 90 mph in 4th gear if you go from part throttle to wide-open throttle at about 3600 rpm (where the engine produces max torque).

From the 2015 OM:
Performance Traction Management (PTM) integrates the Traction Control, StabiliTrak, and Magnetic Ride Control systems to provide improved and consistent performance when cornering. The amount of available engine power is based on the mode selected, track conditions, driver skill, and the radius of each corner.

To experience the performance benefit of this system, after entering a curve and at the point where normal acceleration occurs, fully push the accelerator pedal. The PTM system will modify the level of engine power for a smooth and consistent corner exit.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Drkhrse (01-27-2021), DTOM (01-02-2021), Gearhead Jim (01-01-2021), SoCalFinest (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 02:16 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,526 Likes on 869 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

You will feel a huge difference between, if you get the upgrade. I felt it in Touring on the way home from the Dealership, after the upgrade! It was even more noticeable on a canyon road in Sport.

As others have written, finding a Dealership that knew about it, even in SoCal, was a pain! Three did not know about it (even though I gave them the Upgrade Information and Number) and did not get back to me, and one wanted the usual $350 MSRP + $160. The fourth new about it an had it done in the next week for $350.

While.you are there, if you have the A8 Tranny, have them do the warranty Tranny Triple Flush. It can also make a difference.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:26 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

thanks
I'm not sure if you can access a firmware version for it in the car itself via your cars VIN number, but a dealer should be able to confirm if you have the latest and greatest. They have access to that information for your specific car. All they need is your VIN. You can't do it yourself. Sorry you don't have confidence in your local dealer. But if you have a look at the provided link it will provide details on how all this works. Even your local dealer should be able to figure this out if you provide the link.
https://www.turnology.com/tech-stori...-ride-upgrade/

Last edited by joemessman; 01-01-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:27 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 282 Posts

For the record, you should feel a big difference between the different modes. If you don't, something is off. Going from tour to sport, feels much more stiff.. Going from sport to track, you can feel every crack in the road. There is no subtle difference. I have NPP exhaust and i don't think mine is working. The owner before me put on B&B fusion axel back exhaust. It works with the NPP valves. Mine aren't closing when I changed modes. I checked the fuses, I don't know what else you could do to keep them from closing. I can't believe they would both be out at 25k miles.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:15 PM
AirborneRanger
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Goat 2 Vette,
Assume you checked the exhaust programming and previous owner hasn't set exhaust in a specific NPP open setting of Sport or Track and delinked it from the drive selection? I have mine set in Track regardless of drive setting selected. Hopefully it will be that easy a fix. Happy New Year all.
​​​​
Old 01-01-2021, 05:27 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

My GS is a 2019 so it came with the latest software and there is no mistaking the different modes. I’m not sure how distinct the modes are with the original software.

Do you know for a fact that you have Mag Ride? Don’t be confused by the presence of the control ****, all C7 Corvettes have the ****. Mag Ride is not standard on the Stingray or Stingray Z51, it’s an extra cost option. With or without Mag Ride the **** looks the same however its functionality is different between cars with and without mag ride.
C7Flash (01-28-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 12:12 PM
edspec
Pro

Received 487 Likes on 192 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I have a 2019 GS A8 which comes with the magnetic ride, do I need the software upgrade?

And don't worry about asking dumb questions. The only dumb question it the one not asked. As a new Corvette owner but long time Corvette lover I've asked what I thought was dumb questions but the folks here are great with there knowledgeable answers. I've really learned alot from this site.

Last edited by edspec; 01-02-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM
sgt1372
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts

This is interesting? How does one investigate this? I live in a rural area and not so sure my local 'rural' chevy dealer is going to be much in the know about this. Since this is a computer software update is it something 'we' can do ourselves. thanks
The following is my post #479 and page 24 from the below referenced thread which details how to check if your C7 has the MRC upgrade or not.

See: Any Way To Check/Confirm Mag Ride Update Was Done

---------------------------------------------

Didn't read the entire thread but this is how I checked to confirm that the MRC upgrade had been done in my 2014 Z51 C7 7MTStingray:

-----------------------------------------------

Pre-Owned Performer?

So, how do you know if your pre-owned Corvette’s previous owner has already purchased this upgrade? CorvetteForum.com member Jeff V. offers this cheap and easy way to check and see if your C7 enjoys these benefits already. We’ve checked several VINs using this system and it works.
  • Go to: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/
  • Put your VIN in and click “Get Cal ID”.
  • Select “K19: Suspension Control Module” from the list. Click Next.
  • Select “Programming”. Click Next.
  • Select “With Semi Active Damping System” and click Next.
  • There will be two modules listed. “Operating System” and “Real Time Damping”.
  • Click on “Real Time Damping”.
  • If you don’t see “New calibration to support performance parts and motor sport catalog customers” listed, then it’s safe to say that your Corvette would benefit from having this upgrade.
-------------------------------

These instructions, as well as a lot of other info about the MRC system, can be found here:

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/...-ride-upgrade/

Maxpowers (01-02-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Touring/Sport/Track mode question

Old 01-02-2021, 12:57 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by edspec
I have a 2019 GS A8 which comes with the magnetic ride, do I need the software upgrade?

And don't worry about asking dumb questions. The only dumb question it the one not asked. As a new Corvette owner but long time Corvette lover I've asked what I thought was dumb questions but the folks here are great with there knowledgeable answers. I've really learned alot from this site.
No. You would have the latest and greatest with your model year.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Gearhead Jim (01-02-2021), ShadyVette (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:41 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Default Is there something I can check before going to a dealer

I am going to sound ignorant asking this but will suffer the consequences anyway.

Does the suspension(ride) change between the different modes? I will assume the 'Track' mode might/would be stiffer....or is it. Don't use it so not sure.
I do alternate between Touring and Sport and definitely hear the exhaust difference. But I don't really feel the difference in the suspension(ride). Is there really a difference.

thanks
Since I am not thinking I notice any difference between TOURING and SPORT mode in the suspension......is there something I can check myself before having to go to a dealer??

Old 01-02-2021, 03:22 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Since I am not thinking I notice any difference between TOURING and SPORT mode in the suspension......is there something I can check myself before having to go to a dealer??
Other than the fact you know you have the magnetic ride, there is nothing you can really check on your own. Just double check and open your bonnet and make sure there are wires coming out of the front shocks.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Keithwinnfl (01-04-2021), ShadyVette (01-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Touring/Sport/Track mode question