Sponsored by:

questions on c7 seats from a c5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 10:54 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,037 Likes on 549 Posts

Default questions on c7 seats from a c5 owner

going to be dropping in a set of c7 seats into my c5 (they fit).
a few questions:
  • my interior is black leather with red stitching... did they make anything like that for the c7?
  • I believe they offered touring/comp seats for c7, anything else?
  • what are the differneces between the different model seats? This will be purely for cruising, I'm assuming the touring seats are more appropriate?
  • What other options for the seats are available? I don't care about heating, but vented would be great.. and full power

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2020, 10:45 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

bump.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:57 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

C7 seats come in two styles, the standard "GT" seat, and the optional added-cost "Competition" seat. The comp seat has larger and firmer side bolsters on the backrest, and firmer foam in the seat bottom, the shape of the bottom is the same. The comp seat has some carbon fiber trim on the seatback. The back shell of the comp seat is glossy black, versus the flat black of the GT seat.

There are some different features of the seats (both types) depending on the trim level (1LT, 2LT, 3LT) of the donor car.
1LT seats are missing seat heaters and cooling fans, missing an adjustable (air bladder) lumbar support, and missing memory settings for the motorized seat positions. These items are all included in 2LT and 3LT seats.
3LT seats have upgraded "Napa" leather, versus "Mulan" leather of the 1LT and 2LT trim levels. The difference is in softness (hand feel) and surface grain details.
I think comp seats were never available with Napa leather, even if the donor car was a 3LT trim.
Also, comp seats from a 1LT car have suede microfiber ("Alcantara") center sections on the backrest and bottom, instead of Mulan leather, and only came in black.

Last edited by ersatz928; 08-13-2020 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chemdawg99 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 11:59 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,830 Posts

I have jet black GT seats with red stitching. Ive done plenty of long road trips and they are very comfortable to me (6 ft 200 lbs). If you find a good deal with white stitching, they are very easy to dye. Lots of threads on this. Are you able to get the electronics to work with the C5?
Old 08-15-2020, 07:01 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I have jet black GT seats with red stitching. Ive done plenty of long road trips and they are very comfortable to me (6 ft 200 lbs). If you find a good deal with white stitching, they are very easy to dye. Lots of threads on this. Are you able to get the electronics to work with the C5?
Thanks!
So , thread color was a option on the c7?
Good to know on the thread dye, I'm redoing my interior with leather/red stich, and the center console is black stitching, I'll need to dye it red :-)

Electronics.. that's someone still up in the air. The seats are a direct drop in, getting the power to work isn't a problem-- getting the head/vent fan to work apparently isn't a problem either (I assume the controls for heat/vent are on the seat? ) Memory doesn't work --but that's a known (and.. who cares). BIG issue with c7 seats in a c 5 is that it for some reason disables telescope feature , there's an ongoing thread on it and a potential fix.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
C7 seats come in two styles, the standard "GT" seat, and the optional added-cost "Competition" seat. The comp seat has larger and firmer side bolsters on the backrest, and firmer foam in the seat bottom, the shape of the bottom is the same. The comp seat has some carbon fiber trim on the seatback. The back shell of the comp seat is glossy black, versus the flat black of the GT seat.

There are some different features of the seats (both types) depending on the trim level (1LT, 2LT, 3LT) of the donor car.
1LT seats are missing seat heaters and cooling fans, missing an adjustable (air bladder) lumbar support, and missing memory settings for the motorized seat positions. These items are all included in 2LT and 3LT seats.
3LT seats have upgraded "Napa" leather, versus "Mulan" leather of the 1LT and 2LT trim levels. The difference is in softness (hand feel) and surface grain details.
I think comp seats were never available with Napa leather, even if the donor car was a 3LT trim.
Also, comp seats from a 1LT car have suede microfiber ("Alcantara") center sections on the backrest and bottom, instead of Mulan leather, and only came in black.
You also get the Corvette flag in the seat near the top. My 3LT has it but maybe 2LT as well....
Old 08-15-2020, 10:52 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I think my C5 seats were more comfortable than my C7 seats
The following users liked this post:
AZ99FRC (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 12:19 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

You can "dye" the white stitching yourself if need be. No shortage of such threads here.

As for replacing C7's into the C5, I was shocked at how much better the C7 seats are in my base C7 than in my C5. It was obvious as soon as I started my 1600 mile trip home from Kerbeck's a few years ago. More importantly, I felt even stronger about the superiority of the C7's by the time I got home. Good swap and if I still drove my C5 cross-country I'd swap mine, as well.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:33 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by JMG2
Thanks!

Electronics.. that's someone still up in the air. The seats are a direct drop in, getting the power to work isn't a problem-- getting the head/vent fan to work apparently isn't a problem either (I assume the controls for heat/vent are on the seat? ) Memory doesn't work --but that's a known (and.. who cares). BIG issue with c7 seats in a c 5 is that it for some reason disables telescope feature , there's an ongoing thread on it and a potential fix.
The touch controls for the fan/heat are in the dash as they are for most cars. I'm not sure if the signal from the touch control is sent to a computer in the seat, but I doubt it.
I liked the seats in my former C5, but the seats in the C7 are an improvement and the leather is much better grade even in the standard seat.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:12 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The touch controls for the fan/heat are in the dash as they are for most cars. I'm not sure if the signal from the touch control is sent to a computer in the seat, but I doubt it.
I liked the seats in my former C5, but the seats in the C7 are an improvement and the leather is much better grade even in the standard seat.
ok, that's helpful to know... I'll be looking at seats without heat/vent option, no sense paying for something that likely won't work (and I never use it anyway, even in my trackhawk).

Was thread color an option on c7 seats?
I'm thinking of going with the base seat, black leather, red stitching if that's available... if a solution to the telescoping steering wheel isn't found (that's a deal breaker for me), I'll be looking at a c6 seat, which is even easier to swap in-- not as nice as the c7's, but still better than the c5
Old 08-17-2020, 03:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I haven't looked at the schematics for the C5 memory seat but it may be as simple as replacing the seat memory module with a couple of single pole double throw relays. That is what I did with my C6Z so I could keep the telescoping wheel when I installed my race seats.

The C7 seat control module is in the passenger seat. The dash controls connect through a couple of cables to the seat module and then it connects to the driver's seat to turn on the driver side heat and fan. You would need to build some new cables to adapt those features to the C5.

Bill
Old 08-17-2020, 07:10 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by FX VETTE
I think my C5 seats were more comfortable than my C7 seats
You would probably one of the VERY few that would say that... The C5 seats were crap.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:02 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I haven't looked at the schematics for the C5 memory seat but it may be as simple as replacing the seat memory module with a couple of single pole double throw relays. That is what I did with my C6Z so I could keep the telescoping wheel when I installed my race seats.

The C7 seat control module is in the passenger seat. The dash controls connect through a couple of cables to the seat module and then it connects to the driver's seat to turn on the driver side heat and fan. You would need to build some new cables to adapt those features to the C5.

Bill
Yeah, that's pretty much it... there's a schematic now floating around on the c5 forum.
I'm not overly concerned with the heat/vent.. I'll never use heat, and vent.. ehh. The controls to move/recline are on the side though, right?

Old 08-17-2020, 01:41 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG2
Thanks!
So , thread color was a option on the c7?
Good to know on the thread dye, I'm redoing my interior with leather/red stich, and the center console is black stitching, I'll need to dye it red :-)

JMG2, with the C5 the logic to control the telescopic column is part of the seat control module. That is why a separate control module or splicing in the C5 seat control module is needed as I stated in the C5 General thread on this.
As to the fan and heat components, they seem to be integrated with the HVAC system in the C7.
For the C6 seats I can make the factory heated ones work, and have done that.

Gary
Old 08-21-2020, 03:51 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the opinions-- I just picked up a set of red 2lt seats from a z51 coupe. hopefully everything fits nice :-)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:16 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a C5 with the Sport seats and my C7 has the standard GT seats. Like, FX Vette, I think the C5 "Sport" seats were more comfortable. Overall, the interior in the C5 was also roomier than the C7, although the materials used in the C7 are much better. Never sat in a C7 with the "Competition" seats so can't comment on them.

Get notified of new replies

To questions on c7 seats from a c5 owner

Quick Reply: questions on c7 seats from a c5 owner