Sponsored by:

Track days...what do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 04:14 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 395 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Track days...what do you bring?

Chances are, it'll just be me going in the car I'll be taking on the track. Obviously there's limited room. LOL.

I have list of stuff to bring so far but would love to hear what you guys bring...and just the stuff I can fit in the car. Of course, ideally it'd be good to have a "support vehicle" to go with...like an SUV. Eventually I'll have company to go along, but not on my first couple events. So, worst case scenario is...what should I bring that fits in the C7.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:16 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

...my first event is with Chin at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham. 8/22, 23.
The following users liked this post:
CJ Willys (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 06:41 PM
fgodoy
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

1. Safety gear! - Helmet, Hans, gloves, balaclava, etc. Made that mistake once and noticed when i got to the track!
2. Jack and jack pads
3. torque wrench and sockets needed for wheels and the brake pad bolt
4. Extra set of brake pads
5. I bring a 5 quart oil can
6. extra DOT4 brake fluid to do a flush if needed
7. Basic tool set
8. punch and hammer for the brake pad pins
9. Microfiber towels, rain-x or windshield cleaner, quick detailer, bug and tar remover
10. folding chairs (you sit in the car enough!)
11. flashlight
12. air compressor ( i have one that plugs into the lighter)
13. tow hooks
14. Painters tape (or something to get your car number)

BONUS:
1. Cooler (biggest you can fit)
2. Small pop-up tent so you can get some shade if not available

I was able to fit all this in the trunk everytime I went! Might be missing a few things hopefully others can add to it.

CJ Willys (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I assume you are going to Road Atlanta. GA will be hot and humid then. Wouldn't surprise me when you get out of the car after a session your shoes will be squishy from all of the sweat.
If it is a day trip something to clean up a little on the way home.
Change of clothes to drive home in, going to get very sweaty and salty during the day.
Driving gloves to keep steering wheel from getting slippery when your hands get sweaty.
Lots of drinking water
Sunscreen
A waterproof tarp that you can lay on the ground to wrap your personal stuff in to keep the wind from blowing it away or rain from soaking it.
Depending on track you may want to pack a lunch
Quart of oil
Funnel to put oil in engine
Tire pressure gauge and again depending on track you might want to bring a air tank with hose to provide air
If you can fit it in the car some sort of pop up tent to keep the sun or rain off you
A hat to wear when not in the car
Lug wrench
Torque wrench with 19 mm deep socket to tighten lug nuts
If going with fairly new and burnished brake pads then the following two items don't need to be taken.
-Some hand tools to use in case you need to change brake pads
-Spare brake pads
Folding Chair
Cooler to hold drinks and food
A good attitude. Your first event will be extremely tiring from a mental and physical standpoint as you learn the track line, learn where flag stations are and are able to recognize the flags, learn how to drive the car through turns, when to brake and pay attention to other things going on around you.
And of Course a comfortable proper fitting helmet.
Bill
BostonVette (07-30-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:17 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I'm starting to draft a checklist for each event. Some good ideas here...several of these I've already considered. Others, didn't even think about it. LOL. I definitely want a pop up. I'll have to measure which one will fit in the back.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

since I'd be on my own, I'd have to leave everything unattended while I'm on the track. Anyone have unfortunate stories leaving your stuff around?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:15 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I have never had a problem with anything walking off, but most of what I bring is generic and not of any specific interest (no camera, no fancy tools, etc.).

I am able to put everything in a couple of large plastic storage bins. When I do not need what is in them I put the covers back on and close them up.

Definitely create a check list, review it multiple times, and refine it so you are all set for the next time. Include those things which seem obvious but you would be unhappy to forget, like cash, sunscreen, water, empty glove compartment, SSD card for PDR, comfortable shows for driving and for separately hanging around, sunglasses, air pressure gauge, etc.

Last edited by Elk; 07-25-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Thanks Elk. I'm drafting a checklist now. From what some guys have mentioned here and things I've run through my head. I'll definitely have a bin or two so everything isn't just sitting out in view. I'd assume that everyone at these events is a solid human.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:59 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Exciting stuff. Have fun! Just got back from Spring Mountain. Now I realize how much more work if it were my car.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 07-26-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:17 AM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

This was a list I contributed over on Camaro6 some are repeat items from above, there are a lot of items listed. I didn’t think about extra brake pads since swapped before I went to the track. NCM is only a hour away for.
Cooler

Ice
Water/snacks
Some kind of pop up shade/tent
Tq wrench for checking between rounds/sessions
Socket for lugs (you’d be surprised)
Car fluids and funnel/pump
Basic tools
Rags
Glass cleaner
Gloves/sunglasses
Change of clothes for the hot season ( no shorts while driving)
I bought a DeWalt battery powered fan that thing is the bomb and will run dam near ten hours off one charge
Tire gauge
Plug in air compressor
Jack, pucks, and stands if you have room or if you trailer or have a small trailer
Also those cooling rags while you drive wrapped around your neck, again when it’s hot (again you’d be surprised)
Go Pro and mounts if you have one, it’s really cool to watch later and a laptop to down load them to if a 2 day event at the hotel
I’m sure I’m missing a lot or listed to much an also others will add to the list, after a few trips you’ll figure out works best for you on your pack out box.

Now if you have the money and space at home for one the pit trailers that you load a set of track tires so you put unnecessary usage on your track that would be awesome plus you can load a lot of the bigger stuff like jacks, stand, and big cooler on it.
Look at Leroy engineering for a track trailer, their really cool.

In my opinion people that can afford to do track days are not the kind of people that will steal from one another. Not saying there isn’t that one guy but I’ve several days and never had a issue.

Last edited by olblue75; 07-26-2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:10 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 887 Likes on 576 Posts

Umbrella is good to have for both rain and sun.

I didn't see anyone mention it, but for a tire gauge I prefer the ones with a bleeder valve and a flexible hose/tube.

Lots of good suggestions.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:19 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

From personal experience of motorcycle track days, the most important thing is to have people you know who are also at the event. Can't count the times when a lone person attends a track day that nobody knows who comes alone. They have an unfortunate getoff on the track, or damage their vehicle beyond repair. You want to have a friend to keep an eye on your stuff, or someone to pack you out if you are unable. If no one knows you, they don't know what to do with your gear, especially when they have their own to deal with. And definitely have a friend on speed dial who can drive up to collect your things.

It's clear you've never been to a track day before. You need to go with someone who has done it before to help you out. After a few events, then you can start going by yourself. By then you will know other people there. If you are a victim of circumstances, your seemingly safe event can turn bad. Many think nothing bad will happen until it does.
TxLefty (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

This is all you will need for your 1st event.

Rubbermaid tub so you can put your stuff into if it rains. You will need to take all of your stuff out of your car for your session.

small air compressor you can plug into car.
tire pressure gauge.
torque wrench for lug nuts.
small foldable chair.
Gallon of water to drink.
helmet,
extra dry shirt
extra qt of oil and a rag.
glass cleaner.

for your 1st few track days keep it simple. Make sure your brakes and tires are in good shape. If either are questionable just replace them before your track day and you won’t need to bring a bunch of extra stuff. First few years that I started to do to the track I never needed a ton of stuff. Now that I have been going for a few years and push the car a lot harder I trailer my car so I can bring extra set of wheels, jack, brake pads, etc etc.

most of all, bring a fun attitude and don’t worry about driving fast. Just learn the lines and point the Miatas by. Lol

Old 07-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Thanks for all the info fellas. Yea...ideally I'd like to go with someone who's been. Or at least have someone there with me. I'll definitely be the freshman on first day of school in a new town. LOL.

No trailer for me. Everything goes in the car....for now.

My rotors are new from 10/2019...currenlty on non trackable pads.
track pads are waiting patiently in a box. they'll be on a few days before I head there
Tires are in good shape. Might need new ones after the first event...8/22. Next one is October 12ish in S Carolina.
I have a small air compressor that connects to the battery
All fluids will be new and proper for track. (except coolant) Tranny was done a couple weeks back
I planned on extra oil, maybe a bottle of brake fluid. Maybe coolant too?
Tq wrench and sockets. Handful of other tools
rags
glass cleaner, quick detailer.
change of clothes
driving gloves...haven't bought shoes yet. But will have extra sneakers at least
LOVE the DeWalt fan idea! I'll get one.
Cooler and plenty of **** IN there.
I'll get a tub for all my crap...
Plus a bunch of other stuff.....lol
RugbyRef1 (08-17-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

For a jack, I got a simple scissors jack and a piece of 3/4" plywood about 18" x 12" to put it on. Not very convenient, but takes up little space and weight.
A soft kneeling pad also helps.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:20 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

From what I didn’t see already mentioned:

A nice looking woman to be your crew chief
Sunscreen
Track insurance!
Old 07-26-2020, 09:21 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Only thing I haven't seen listed that should always go in the box is duct tape.

Get notified of new replies

To Track days...what do you bring?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:52 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmthoele
Only thing I haven't seen listed that should always go in the box is duct tape.
...and zip ties.

The most important thing is your helmet along with any required registration paper work. Depending on the track's location you might be able to get last minute items or anything you forgot nearby but best to be as prepared as possible. I carry two large plastic tubs with snap on lids, inside them is:

spare brake pads, brake bleeder and fluid along with the basic tools for pad changes
spare engine oil and funnel
gloves (both mechanics and disposable)
12V air compressor and tire gauge
correct socket for lugs and torque wrench
wheel chocks (don't set your parking braking brake on hot rotors)
change of clothes (to drive home in), sun glasses, hat
cooler with plenty of water and snacks
folding chair
phone charger, GoPro with spare batteries and mounts
stick on numbers and painters tape
clipboard with blank paper (for taking notes on lines thru corners)
glass cleaner and shop towels
jacking pucks (I have leave in ones so can't forget those)
medication (Tylenol and Dramamine for sure, even if never been car sick it will likely happen)

I need to remember to start bringing a fan with an extension cord to help cool me and the car.

My track buddies normally bring a folding table to keep things organized but I just use my lids. In my experience nobody touches anything, there is a really great community mind-set, you have to trust the other drivers with your life so nobody is silly enough to steal a wrench from you. For example I don't even carry a jack anymore because someone else will have one and let you borrow it. However when in doubt bring it - better to have it with you then wishing you had plus the C7 has plenty of space in the hatch so no reason not to throw it back there if possible.

You'll likely need to refuel the car at lunch so don't lose track of time talking with other drivers. Drive within your limits, remember there are no prizes for being faster so only push when you feel comfortable. You will get tired both mentality and physically so maintain situational awareness. Have fun and enjoy your car
Old 08-17-2020, 02:56 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

A thought just occurred to me. When you guys set up the shelter/tents, do you leave them overnight or break them down?
Old 08-17-2020, 07:50 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
A thought just occurred to me. When you guys set up the shelter/tents, do you leave them overnight or break them down?
At motorcycle track days people just left them up over night. At the California tracks everyone was cool. No one is going to steal an EZ Up. Plus that's how you stake your claim to a spot.

Quick Reply: Track days...what do you bring?