Sponsored by:

Door damage :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 11:59 AM
tastegw
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
I had two scratches a lot like those in the first 3 months of owning my car. Both polished out by hand with polishing compound. As others have said, try polishing - you may get lucky like I did.
this is not polishing out, those scratches are really gashes, meaning some fiber is missing, it needs to be filled, sanded, primed and painted. those gashes are deeper than a quarter at its thickest points.

a big rig did the damage, not a car. the metal frame that holds the mud flaps to be precise.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I typically park on end spot close to curb as doing so only puts one side of your C7 at risk. I also park on the right side end since most people pull into parking places as opposed to backing in and considering the majority of vehicles don't have passengers this further reduces your risk of your door being hit.
Every precaution helps.
Ahhh, so your the one that take all of my end spots !!
Rich
Kevin A Jones (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:55 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default So minor.....

….yet so frustrating; you get out of work, looking forward to the drive and the destination and then, DANG!
Old 07-18-2020, 11:27 AM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,086 Likes on 638 Posts

[QUOTE=AORoads;1601850249. I've seen people find little pieces of paper and leave a note. I would hope that practice is not gone, but it might be.[/QUOTE]

Not in todays world. I can't even get a wave when letting people merge.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:42 AM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,086 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Josephu
If you drive a Corvette......You MUST park as far away as possible,.
That doesn't always work........There was nobody even close when I parked....

Old 07-18-2020, 11:59 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellow2007
I have had this happen to me in the past, why, I do not understand the reasoning why they have to park SO close when the entire parking lot is open
Rich
yellow2007 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:44 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tastegw

at work last night, some **** co-worker did this to my otherwise pristine '17. this is my passenger door, that is bare fiber showing in white. about 6-8"long.

most likely done by company equipment (big rig).
If this was caused by company equipment (and you were parked in an approved employee parking spot?), your company's insurance should cover the repair cost.
Ettev01 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 01:40 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
To comment about drivers with no lic or insurance....

my wife was in our SRT. 2 lane road w/ double yellow. This piece of garbage driving a shitty Accord crossed the yellows and they sideswiped...almost head on. Left rear wheel on the SRT was ripped out of the rear diff. She spun twice.

The low life woman in the other car...her FIRST verbal comment to anyone was...I lost my phone. Where’sy phone. Never asked about the other driver..my wife.

No lic. No insurance. She was sentenced to TWELVE weekends in jail. 3 nts every week. She had a rap sheet as long as my....

....well, it was pretty long.

Anyway...46,000 bucks later, got the SRT back.

So yea, there are some dirtbags out there.
There are lots of people who get the insurance only long enough to register a car, and then let it lapse.

Southwestern states apparently are notorious for this.

I previously have mentioned that my dad once was driving in New Mexico, had his brand new Buick sedan totaled by a young woman in an equally new Z car.

After an overnight stay in a motel while his replacement Buick was shipped in, he was on his way.

Meanwhile the young woman was on the hook for the loan on the Z car (though who knows if she ever paid off).

Old 07-19-2020, 03:39 AM
andybbbb
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
There is no way that is going to buff out. You can reduce the look but most of that is way too deep to buff out.
X2, white is the base. Compound will help with some but she will need paint. Sorry to see people are like that these days.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:51 AM
miss my Z06
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

To yellow 2007 & Vette Ski - Yes this almost always happens to me. Did you know even though our cars are made of fiberglass, composite materials and carbon fiber they still have magnetic properties that attract all kinds of A holes to park their 1970 rust bucket Dodge darts 2 inches from our cars.
Sometimes they do it just us **** us off...

Last edited by miss my Z06; 07-19-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by miss my Z06
To yellow 2007 & Vette Ski - Yes this almost always happens to me. Did you know even though our cars are made of fiberglass, composite materials and carbon fiber they still have magnetic properties that attract all kinds of A holes to park their 1970 rust bucket Dodge darts 2 inches from our cars.
Sometimes they do it just us **** us off...
I know. I have parked all of my vehicles far away from the maddening crowd all of my driving days, even though they were not Corvettes. It happens quite a bit that you have someone that wants to park next to you even though they have to walk a mile to get to the store ( "or get a camel" ) you old folks know that phrase !
Rich
Old 07-19-2020, 12:54 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2007
You also should had pulled forward so your vehicle nose can't be hit if someone parked in front of you. Hard to see the sloping nose when a vehicle pulls in to park.

I get the same thing when I drive my MR2 Spyder. No matter where you park on a lot, someone will park next to you. I now only park at the end of a row and hug the far side of the spot. A vehicle can't get close to me unless they park far over the line.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:15 AM
miss my Z06
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
I know. I have parked all of my vehicles far away from the maddening crowd all of my driving days, even though they were not Corvettes. It happens quite a bit that you have someone that wants to park next to you even though they have to walk a mile to get to the store ( "or get a camel" ) you old folks know that phrase !
Rich
You saying Im old LOL, I am old and hope to get older if Covid stays away from my door. Be careful out there to everyone.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:21 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

Start w/ brake cleaner and a towel first. You want to get rid of any of the paint that is from the other vehicle before you start buffing/compounding it. Wad the towel so it is maybe 4 layers thick and spray on the brake cleaner. You can spray it on the door but it is so thin it runs down quickly. It will NOT hurt the paint which is why I recommend it. Alcohol could also work.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Gotta see something done to get this rectified !!
Rich
Old 07-21-2020, 08:30 AM
tastegw
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigStu
Start w/ brake cleaner and a towel first. You want to get rid of any of the paint that is from the other vehicle before you start buffing/compounding it. Wad the towel so it is maybe 4 layers thick and spray on the brake cleaner. You can spray it on the door but it is so thin it runs down quickly. It will NOT hurt the paint which is why I recommend it. Alcohol could also work.
that white is not paint. no paint was transferred to my car, just metal digging into it. i have attached photos that i provided my work, metal mudflap frame is what did the damage, followed by a nice tire rubbing.

Last edited by tastegw; 07-21-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:11 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

Ah, sorry to see that it isn't paint. I was thinking you could make it 50% less noticeable just by getting rid of paint.

Quick Reply: Door damage :(