Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a dealership that gives a #$%!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Sylvrbak
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is there a dealership that gives a #$%!

Sorry for the long winded frustration, just want a good dealership experience.

Took my 17 GS in for the dreaded rattle can noise coming
from under neath my vette. They diagnosed the vehicle issue properly, which is more than i can say for two other dealerships in the area. I am thankful for that and they did repair it under the drvetrain warranty, just not sure if the repair was completed with no concern of future issues due to tight tolerances for the shaft installation. Additionally when i dropped the car off, i also asked them to check on a pulse in the exhaust at start up which only occurs in Tour mode (valves closed). When i received the car back, they told me they could not get the car to exhibit the issue i shared. It still does it now, but now i am also getting a clicking noise when i place the car in Tour mode, which was not an issue when i dropped the car off.

I shared the below with my service advisor, who told me to bring the car in next week. Why should i wait a week for you to correct this, when you called me to tellme the car was ready. Am i wrong for thinking they should have taken care of it then?

On the drive home noticed a new issue not there when the vehi le was placed into service (exhaust valve now clicks) additionally the exhaust was reinstalled and not centered. Put the vehicle on my lift at home and found both rear lower control arms had been beat with a hammer, cant believe a dealerhip does not have a pickle fork or some other tool to disconnect properly without . Driver side seat now has scuffs in the leather. I purposely cleaned and conditioned leather before entering service and know of no issues prior to bringing the vehicle in. Rear diff fluid is now leaking either from elsd or diff. Transmission was reflashed even though i shared no concerns about it and now i am getting hard shifts. In park when revving engine to 4k, car lurches as RPM comes down to idle. Engine exhaust note at idle does not sound as it did before as i hear a slight miss now at idle. Unfortunately i have not had much luck with any dealer in the metroplex and its unforunate, because i love the car. Knowing nothing in life is perfect, and i dont expect perfection, but wish they would have excercised greater care and offered greater communication and concern when i shared the issues which were not present when i provided my concerns. To mKe matters worse, not even sure i cN trust them to make it right based on the way they slapped it all back together.

Any advice on how to get these matters cleared up without having to concern myself with further damage to the car.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:50 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I have not had good experience with dealerships and warranty work. The magnetic ride update did not exist according to 2 dealerships and the third finally had a tech that had a clue to look it up correctly.

I just took my z06 in for the third tkme to get the disappearing coolant guage fix installed. First 2 times dealer said it was up to date but kept disappearing. That local dealer gave up and I had to find one who managed to sell a vette in last year to understand how to fix. I am on my way to pick it up now after their techs had it for 2 days...
Old 06-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,237 Likes on 3,470 Posts

Unfortunately, far too many such posts. Sorry to hear it all, but if nothing else... you are not alone.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 05:01 PM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I have Classic Chevrolet up here in Lawton OK and they are great... I know you have a Classic down there and I have heard they are also great... You have to find a dealership that works for you and with you, it is a 2 way street... Get to know the service manager... Give a 100 dollar tip to the mechanic when he does a good job and tip your service advisor.. They will always take care of you
Old 06-24-2020, 05:04 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Understand your vent. Time to sell/trade for something else and move on. Life is too short to be this frustrated and not enjoy the car. Maybe move up to a Porsche or Acura NSX are in your future?
Old 06-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just recieved a survey/review request from my dealer. Probably not a good idea on there part.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:03 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,019 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

We have a Porsche and a Vette. Her car is the Porsche and the dealer we use is freaking amazing.

This vette is number 7 for me (in addition to 2 Camaro's). Not one of them has ever seen a dealership after sale, and I have no intention of ever bringing one into a Chevy dealer unless the engine blows (or something else catastrophic). Chevy dealers are generally horrific. While there are a few with good service departments, they are rare.

The following 2 users liked this post by devnull:
Kevin A Jones (06-25-2020), Sixgun95 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:04 PM
PJG65
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I just recieved a survey/review request from my dealer. Probably not a good idea on there part.
What happened and where did you take it if you don't mind naming names. I see you are in my general area so a heads up would be appreciated.

Last edited by PJG65; 06-24-2020 at 06:05 PM.
ljorges (07-06-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:07 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I suppose I'm an outlier here. But I have always had good GM service for my Corvettes in Oregon and Arizona.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:09 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Well if you are in ct try Key used to be Jackson Chevrolet i here they are out standing! Located Middletown Ct
Old 06-24-2020, 06:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvrbak
Sorry for the long winded frustration, just want a good dealership experience.

Took my 17 GS in for the dreaded rattle can noise coming
from under neath my vette. They diagnosed the vehicle issue properly, which is more than i can say for two other dealerships in the area. I am thankful for that and they did repair it under the drvetrain warranty, just not sure if the repair was completed with no concern of future issues due to tight tolerances for the shaft installation. Additionally when i dropped the car off, i also asked them to check on a pulse in the exhaust at start up which only occurs in Tour mode (valves closed). When i received the car back, they told me they could not get the car to exhibit the issue i shared. It still does it now, but now i am also getting a clicking noise when i place the car in Tour mode, which was not an issue when i dropped the car off.

I shared the below with my service advisor, who told me to bring the car in next week. Why should i wait a week for you to correct this, when you called me to tellme the car was ready. Am i wrong for thinking they should have taken care of it then?

On the drive home noticed a new issue not there when the vehi le was placed into service (exhaust valve now clicks) additionally the exhaust was reinstalled and not centered. Put the vehicle on my lift at home and found both rear lower control arms had been beat with a hammer, cant believe a dealerhip does not have a pickle fork or some other tool to disconnect properly without . Driver side seat now has scuffs in the leather. I purposely cleaned and conditioned leather before entering service and know of no issues prior to bringing the vehicle in. Rear diff fluid is now leaking either from elsd or diff. Transmission was reflashed even though i shared no concerns about it and now i am getting hard shifts. In park when revving engine to 4k, car lurches as RPM comes down to idle. Engine exhaust note at idle does not sound as it did before as i hear a slight miss now at idle. Unfortunately i have not had much luck with any dealer in the metroplex and its unforunate, because i love the car. Knowing nothing in life is perfect, and i dont expect perfection, but wish they would have excercised greater care and offered greater communication and concern when i shared the issues which were not present when i provided my concerns. To mKe matters worse, not even sure i cN trust them to make it right based on the way they slapped it all back together.

Any advice on how to get these matters cleared up without having to concern myself with further damage to the car.
Hitting with a hammer is an accepted method of loosening a ball joint. I have a pickle fork but never use it since it can ruin a ball joint. Using a ball joint separation tool may not be all that easy. A quick swat with a heavy hammer loosens the ball joint without damaging anything. You may see where the hammer hit but that isn't a big deal. If you insist on having this non issue corrected you will go to the top of PIA owners that will never be satisfied even when work is done correctly.

Seat scuffs happen when people who don't know how to enter a Corvette correctly get in one. Even ones that know may forget if they are getting in and out of sedans, SUVs and trucks all day long everyday. It only takes one time not getting in correctly to ruin a seat. I always comment about that when going to a strange dealership where I don't know the people.

What the heck is a Pulse on start up in Tour Mode? What does that even mean and how would anybody know what it is unless you personally demonstrated what you were talking about. Even then it might be something that most other people wouldn't even notice.

Where is your clicking noise coming from? Not sure what Tour Mode has to do with a clicking noise. The valves are not always closed in Tour Mode. When you accelerate hard the valves open. By the way which valves are you talking about. The AFM valves in the pipe leading to the muffler or the ones at the outlet of the muffler. With the A8 you have both valve types in the system. The AFM valves close when the engine is operating in 4 cylinder mode.

I wouldn't worry about the transmission harshness. I would be happier with a harsh shift than a wear inducing soft shift.

Maybe a spark plug wire was jostled and started to come loose. It may have run fine until the engine started the first or second time you started the car.

Just mention you would like to get the mufflers as straight as possible. There are only four bolts and two mounting pins holding the mufflers in place. The two bolts in the front where the mufflers are clamped to the mid pipe and two bolts that hold the two mufflers together. One of those doesn't permit any sideways movement. Loosening the bolts permits some rotation of the mufflers but that is constrained due to the two frame mounted mounting brackets the pins fit in that hold the mufflers in place.

Not sure what rattle can noise you had silenced but if it didn't involve disassembling the diff then they did nothing to cause the diff or the ediff units to leak. The diff/transmission and ediff units are all lowered as a part of the cradle assembly and aren't disassembled unless there is an issue with one of them. If the diff was filled as part of the service maybe too much lube was added.

How severe is this so called lurch when you rev he engine in park and then let it slow down to idle? Is it something only you can feel or will others notice it? Again, this is something that you can't just describe with words, you need to demonstrate it to the mechanic not the service writer/advisor. If they have no idea what they are looking for and it is something subtle they will never find it. Then you have to think about does this lurch mean anything. The more time spent trying to fix things that aren't really problems just causes more real problems to show up. That is why they have the statement: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If it has full power and and go like a banshee out of hell just like any other A8 GS when you nail the throttle you have an indication it might not be broken.

I don't accept substandard work, but I do not worry about things that don't matter to the performance or potential future performance of the car. Squealing brakes squeal, so what. Tires skip on tight turns, so what. On and on. Getting excellent service depends on understanding what is the right thing to have done and what isn't.

Bill
The following 5 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
blkvet6 (06-30-2020), Dennis Bernal (06-24-2020), IsWeHavingFunYet? (06-25-2020), joemessman (06-25-2020), yellow2007 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:35 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You asked a question and you deserve an answer. The problem is there are two different sides, at least, to every question. There is the consumer side and the service side which have two completely different perspectives.

Did you buy the car at the servicing dealership and do you have an ongoing relationship with them. I am guessing not as you mention other dealerships where you had less than satisfactory results. They fixed your problem, which you are speculating whether it will last or not, and now have a laundry list of problems you think they possibly caused and want them fixed immediately with priority. In short...for the dealer...you just became rightfully or wrongfully...a giant pain in the ***.

I have watched this first hand for decades and I think most of us fail to look at both sides of the service experience. We take our treasured possessions to a service department that makes a living by fixing vehicles as quickly as possible. We start right off, many times, with a list of demands of how are cars are to be handled and want them to realize they are special. We shop the world for the best price buying the car anywhere we can get the telephone to reach but pay little attention to buying the best service and best relationship.

We as a group seldom take into account where the best possible service is close to us when buying and refuse to pay the price. We complain continually about how poor the service experience is at Chevrolet dealerships but never consider what the cost is comparatively at the foreign competitors. To the guy making his living working on Chevrolets, trucks and Impalas are far easier and better paying overall. They can be done quicker, have less discerning customers, and don't have to continuously worry about the surveys from us Corvette guys who are "butt hurt" about our babies.

I have my flame suit on. I am not at all trying to be a jerk but have been on both sides of this equation. It is certainly worth consideration when contemplating your next purchase and or service. Being respectful and normal goes a long way in a service department.
The following 5 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Dennis Bernal (06-24-2020), IsWeHavingFunYet? (06-25-2020), mschuyler (06-25-2020), The Rabbi (06-25-2020), yellow2007 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 PM
sactruck
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Mangino Chevrolet in Amsterdam N.Y. has always provided me with exceptional service. They even send you a video with the technition that worked on your car explaining the service he performed.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,386 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I guess I am fortunate as my local dealership, Putnam Chevrolet in California, MO, has provided outstanding service to me and my cars for better than 24 years. I have never been displeased with a service procedure. Good dealerships are out there.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:42 PM
Sylvrbak
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, just to be clear....i am looking for advice on how best to resolve my concerns without appearing to be a PIA as some of you have indicated i might be. I am not interested in operating from a position of emtoion. Out of the four vehicles i own, my vette is my favorite and have no intention to add another high dollar vehicle to the stable.

With regards to the exhaust pulse i recorded a video to clearly communicate what the car was doing to remove confusion. It appears now that that video should have been played to the tech and not the advisor. I have owned the vehicle three years and in this time visiting 4 different dealers attempting to develop a positive relationship, i have had no luck, not because i am a difficult customer because i am not. Ive never been disrespectful nor attempted to act as if i knew more than them even when at times it appeared i knew more about the product than the service advisor.

The exhaust alignment i can and will repair, however the ticking from the exhaust valve was not an issue until i picked the car up after repairs were made.

The car lurching forward after revving to 4k and back to idle is noticable by anyone, not just me. Through research on the forum, it has been mentioned that alignment on reinstall of the shaft is crucial, i dont know that anything is wrong, but this was not the cars behavior previously... whats changed?

Leaking e diff/ rear axle: service notes indicate fluid was topped off.

Lower control arms were beat to shhh.. and then die grinded after the fact. Maybe this bothers me because if im selling this car and an inspection is ordered, it will be easy to notice the car was seriously hammered on. So i quite naturally am concerned about reduced value.

Scuffs on the leather i can live with, but just a deatil on the level of care for the car i mistakenly entrusted to the dealer.

Exhaust note and misses at idle, i checked all ignition cable connections, why is my car missing?

As a business owner i understand the success of my business rests with my customers recognizing that i am here to service their needs and treat their business with the care and concern they expect if i wish to continue earning their business. My vehicle went into service with two issues and came out with one resolved and several new additional problems, some minor, some inconsequential to the overall functionality of the vehicle and some as a direct biproduct of carelessness.

Nothing last forever and maybe its time to sell the vehicle, but why should i have to? Because i wanted to have a vehicle i paid decent money to own and have it be repaired under the warranty offered by the mfg.. Mind you i am not looking for anyone to advocate for my issues, but it seems like some may hold the belief that i should feel privileged for the dealer to even consider completing a repair properly and give my car back to me in better condition than when i brought it in. And on the off chance its worse, so what, get over it or we will consider you a difficult customer, surely that can be the way Chevy dealers see this.

I will update this post with the name of the dealer once i have had a chance to speak with the service manager to see if they are willing to address my concerns or consider me a PIA.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:44 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

“Ever since”. The two most dreaded words for a service advisor to hear.
yellow2007 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 12:12 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I simply asked for an update to my car and did the leg work about the tsb and even printed it for them. I did this for them mag ride update and my coolant temp update.

I never asked for them to treat my car special or even baby it. I just asked for the gm fix. Most people going in just want their problem fixed. Time and time again, chevy service has failed to even take the time to diagnose let alone fix it. This has been my experience for 2 camaros, and 3 vettes.

This is in contrast to service from honda, hyundai and mitsubishi. I never feel like I have to plead and beg for fixes under warranty. This kind of treatment for what is a halo car versus those other brands and their daily drivers really drive home how frustrated we are.

If I didn't have a history of loving gm performance since the 3rd gen vette and 2nd gen camaro, I would be far away from gm.

I get where the op is coming from and I sympathize with his experience, as does a lot of forum members here.

Last edited by SladeX; 06-25-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a dealership that gives a #$%!

Old 06-25-2020, 05:14 AM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Well if you are in ct try Key used to be Jackson Chevrolet i here they are out standing! Located Middletown Ct
his that where paul H is? The corvette mechanic?
Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 AM
Cumbers
Pro

Received 427 Likes on 228 Posts

I use Carfagno, excellent dealer. Never had an issue.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:50 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,935 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Where in Texas are you?

Dallas area - Huffines in Plano

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 06-25-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Additional information
beaversstonehaven (06-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Is there a dealership that gives a #$%!