C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2LT dash damaged!!! What could cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:18 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,443 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Huh? I believe the OP is referring to the below. A Magic Eraser ain’t fixing that...

The following 2 users liked this post by sTz:
NortonCO (06-04-2020), SingleTrackMinded (06-05-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 PM
Jonathanmilr1
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
Huh? I believe the OP is referring to the below. A Magic Eraser ain’t fixing that...

yes I’m referring to those red circles
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,443 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Yeah, I’ve used those vinyl repair kits, and it’s difficult to match the color and texture. It’s not impossible, but there is a learning curve. Personally, I would have someone who repairs upholstery look at it... Something caused it to melt/disintegrate in those three areas, and the area in the first pic. Unfortunately, this is not going to be an easy fix.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Tommy79
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Clay bar is an abrasive. I have used clay bar for many years n my autos. Paper towels are abrasive. We still use mild abrasives on our automobiles to clean. Like I mentioned before, I have used Magic Erasers for many years on my autos and on my leather interior. It is effective and it is definitely not like sandpaper, if it were then people who detail automobiles for a living would be using them to wet sand paint. They don't. I have detailed autos longer than you've been alive. Magic eraser is safe to use. Scrubbing though would not be recommended for this application. Nor would I scrub anything with a paper towel. Gentle wiping would work effectively. I know from experience.
I agree with MMD and have used a magic eraser (Amazon non name ones) on my wife's car to remove stubborn water stains before waxing. No problems at all. I also use them on my C7 exhaust tips. You could probably abuse your car even with a clay bar.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Abrasives have their place in car care. For example, we use swirl removers and other abrasives with a random orbital on paint, etc. One should however be aware you are using an abrasive and act accordingly. A Magic Eraser is an abrasive.

"Melamine foam is an effective abrasive cleaner. The open-cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned." See, e.g., here.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 930 Likes on 537 Posts

What don't some of you see? His dash is missing chunks in three different places. Cleaning it, 303, magic eraser is not going to do anything as his dash is damaged! Plus magic eraser in the wrong hands can do more harm then good. You have to be extremely sure it will work in your application.
The following 3 users liked this post by Let It Ride:
NortonCO (06-04-2020), RWDonly (06-06-2020), SingleTrackMinded (06-05-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Looks like the dash has 3 divots in it. No fix for a divot except to replace the dash. Some chemical was applied and it ate out those 3 sections of dash. I use a damp towel for my dash. Nothing chemical ever gets on there as I only use water. I think you guys are looking at the tree reflection in the windshield.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 06-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
blkvet6 (06-04-2020), NortonCO (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM
QuickSilver20
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Are you the original owner? It almost looks like it could have been caused from something being mounted on the Dash given how similar they are in the 3 spaces. I wouldn’t think rubbing because it’s not just the edges and wouldn’t think any sort of chemicals would cause this given how similar the 3 marks are in just those 3 places.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
Abrasives have their place in car care. For example, we use swirl removers and other abrasives with a random orbital on paint, etc. One should however be aware you are using an abrasive and act accordingly. A Magic Eraser is an abrasive.

"Melamine foam is an effective abrasive cleaner. The open-cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned." See, e.g., here.
Like I said, Magic Eraser works. Just don't scrub with the eraser. Work it gently removing the grime layer by layer. No scrubbing. I've used this method many times before in all my cars for a long time. The 2 LT dash material is stout. This method will work to remove grime, dirt, chemicals on a surface if it is used as I describe. Keep in mind, Magic Eraser is sold as a "cleaning sponge". The mild abrasive quality of this product is why it is effective.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Looks like the dash has 3 divots in it. No fix for a divot except to replace the dash. Some chemical was applied and it ate out those 3 sections of dash. I use a damp towel for my dash. Nothing chemical ever gets on there as I only use water. I think you guys are looking at the tree reflection in the windshield.

Elmer
The only thing I ever used on any of my Corvettes. A nice clean microfiber towel soaked in warm water and wrung out. Wipe everything down and the interior looks the the way it should. Too many people overthink this and make it way more complicated than it should be. Even 303 leaves a very slight shine to it so that was a no-no for me.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 12:34 PM
Jonathanmilr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by QuickSilver20
Are you the original owner? It almost looks like it could have been caused from something being mounted on the Dash given how similar they are in the 3 spaces. I wouldn’t think rubbing because it’s not just the edges and wouldn’t think any sort of chemicals would cause this given how similar the 3 marks are in just those 3 places.
Yes im the original owner and nothing has ever been stuck to the dash. I had my car washed by the same detailer 3 weeks ago and they weren't there then and now right after he got done with the inside he called me out and told me to look at my dash. He notices any imperfection on the cars and he even told me he didn't see it last time he washed it.

It was being washed in 100 degree heat with the sun directly in the windshield at my work facility. I know he uses a product called Finish Renu Diamond Gloss on the dash which is a water based cleaner for rubbers, Vinyl's and plastics. He's used it before and no damage ever occurred. I not sue what class cleaner he uses.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:08 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathanmilr1
Yes im the original owner and nothing has ever been stuck to the dash. I had my car washed by the same detailer 3 weeks ago and they weren't there then and now right after he got done with the inside he called me out and told me to look at my dash. He notices any imperfection on the cars and he even told me he didn't see it last time he washed it.

It was being washed in 100 degree heat with the sun directly in the windshield at my work facility. I know he uses a product called Finish Renu Diamond Gloss on the dash which is a water based cleaner for rubbers, Vinyl's and plastics. He's used it before and no damage ever occurred. I not sue what class cleaner he uses.
It might have been the combination of the cleaning chemical and high temperatures or maybe the dash piece was just defective and delaminated. Unless you are using a really bizarre chemical on the dash this should not be happening. Armor all and/or 303 or anything similar should not cause this kind of damage. No way to fix that either, you will have to have that section of the dash replaced.
NortonCO (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:26 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The outside air temp may have been 100 deg F but the temperature of the dash material will be significantly higher depending on how long the vehicle has been sitting outdoors. If you now apply a protectant (regardless any brand) that was stored indoor at room temperature you can easily create a condition of thermal shock (stress) to any material making up the composition of the dash and could lead to the dash material to crack. A detailer should never wash or detail a vehicle in the hot sun. Most any automobile detailing product label will warn you to not apply, or clean, a vehicle under these circumstances.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:34 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

The similarity of the divots and their symmetry wouldn't likely be the result of a chemical reaction... On a 100 degree day in full sun, a black glareshield temp is gonna be pretty toasty... Perhaps there are metal brackets below the divots that got hot enough to melt the material above?? Interested to hear the outcome...
The following 5 users liked this post by jimmbbo:
AORoads (06-04-2020), ISHLISS (06-04-2020), Majkowski (06-05-2020), NortonCO (06-04-2020), Red Devil (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Jonathanmilr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
The outside air temp may have been 100 deg F but the temperature of the dash material will be significantly higher depending on how long the vehicle has been sitting outdoors. If you now apply a protectant (regardless any brand) that was stored indoor at room temperature you can easily create a condition of thermal shock (stress) to any material making up the composition of the dash and could lead to the dash material to crack. A detailer should never wash or detail a vehicle in the hot sun. Most any automobile detailing product label will warn you to not apply, or clean, a vehicle under these circumstances.

Would you guys confront the auto detailer with no direct proof? I think i have to buy a suede dash cover now which i don't really want too. The dash is $900 but the install I heard is around $2000 from the dealer.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:58 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jonathanmilr1
Would you guys confront the auto detailer with no direct proof? I think i have to buy a suede dash cover now which i don't really want too. The dash is $900 but the install I heard is around $2000 from the dealer.

Were it me, I'd buy the dash, youtube a dash replacement to death and then I'd do it myself for $2,000 less than a dealer. It might take me a week to do it but I'll be damned if I'd let a dealer charge me for labor for a dash replacement.

Elmer
The following 3 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
1000RR (06-04-2020), blkvet6 (06-04-2020), Dennis Bernal (06-05-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
The similarity of the divots and their symmetry wouldn't likely be the result of a chemical reaction... On a 100 degree day in full sun, a black glareshield temp is gonna be pretty toasty... Perhaps there are metal brackets below the divots that got hot enough to melt the material above?? Interested to hear the outcome...
I think your on to something and I it noticed also. Those divets all look the same and are evenly spaced. They are too perfect in reference to each other for a chemical reaction to have caused this. There is something else at play here and pulling the dash I guess would give you some clue, I don't see any other way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Let It Ride:
jimmbbo (06-04-2020), NortonCO (06-04-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 2LT dash damaged!!! What could cause this?

Old 06-04-2020, 02:12 PM
Jonathanmilr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
I think your on to something and I it noticed also. Those divets all look the same and are evenly spaced. They are too perfect in reference to each other for a chemical reaction to have caused this. There is something else at play here and pulling the dash I guess would give you some clue, I don't see any other way.

Could the Suede Piece be rubbing on the dash and cause that? I did add coil overs to my car and the suspension is so stiff now that body panels are now rubbing together now and the paint is flaking off in some areas as well.

Also in my first pic the same is happening where the speaker is meeting the dash.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:18 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 663 Posts

There are mobile professionals that can come out to your house and fix ANY issue like that on your dash or seats. Don't fix it yourself and make it worse!

Call the service managers at some BMW or MB dealers and ask them who they use for leather repair if you do not know of a skilled one. They can repair it and you won't even know it was ever damaged. Don't just use anyone from the phone book. Find the best!

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-04-2020 at 02:19 PM.
dcarr (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:31 PM
C5 Z16
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the suede dash piece with the red stitching original or an aftermarket piece?

Quick Reply: 2LT dash damaged!!! What could cause this?