Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramps or jacks for oil change - advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

Rugbyref, Curious why you wouldn't use your quick Jack for oil changes. Is there a reason you use your race ramps for that? Seems like the quick jack would be ideal for oil changes. Especially because the car would be level. Thanks

Last edited by Basil2000; 05-11-2020 at 10:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Basil2000:
JimmyJazz (05-12-2020), RugbyRef1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111

I know alot of guys "drive" up their Rhino Ramps, but I guess my garage floor is too slippery - everytime Ive tried, the ramps push forward... .
I used Rhino Ramps for years and that was a problem that always drove me crazy, it often took me a few tries to get up the ramps because they would often just push forwards. After putting up with that nonsense for far too long I finally opened up my wallet and spent the extra money on Race Ramps and I don't have that problem at all anymore, they are super stable. Plus with the more gradual incline it's way easier to get up the ramps, especially with lowered cars.

As a side note, the thought of doing an oil change with the car only on jack stands really scares me. That's a potential disaster waiting to happen, especially if the drain plug is tight and you have to start putting some muscle into it. When my son told me he was going to do an oil change on his WRX that way a few weeks ago I told him to drive over to my house and use my Race Ramps (quarantine be damned!) And while he was doing the change, he couldn't get the drain plug off, as he had someone else do his previous oil change and I had to step in and really use a ton of force to get that plug loosened. If it were on jack stands that could have been enough to move the car off the stands.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:54 PM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
You want the car to be level during the process so if you use ramps you still want to lift the rear then put it on jack stands or a set of wheel cribs.

I've got four Rhino ramps, they are too steep to drive up so like @JimmyJazz I use two jacks and bring the front up level, set the wheels on the ramps. From there I jack up rear and put those wheels on the ramps. Car is level and safe to proceed with the oil change.
Exactly what I do as well!
The following users liked this post:
JimmyJazz (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:11 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 621 Posts

To keep ramps from sliding as you drive up, I learned this trick when using ramps to remove/sharpen riding mower blades. Place 2 lengths of 2"x4"s ( one for each ramp) against base of garage wall to brace front of ramp when driving up onto it. A little experimenting will find the sweet spot to cut the 2"x4"s to length. Won't even have to mark floor for reference plus lumber is small & easy to make room for ends to butt against front wall.
RugbyRef1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 04:16 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
Good idea and I'm gonna try that. But before you punch a hole in the filter, make sure you loosen it first a little. Wouldn't want to find out its seized on the threads. Same goes with draining a trans or diff - make sure the fill plug can be removed before removing the drain!

Excellent advice! Ask me how I know .........
Old 05-12-2020, 07:18 AM
RugbyRef1
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000
Rugbyref, Curious why you wouldn't use your quick Jack for oil changes. Is there a reason you use your race ramps for that? Seems like the quick jack would be ideal for oil changes. Especially because the car would be level. Thanks
I guess I should have given more info. I haven't changed the oil in the Corvette yet...only 230 miles on the odo. I used the Race Ramps exclusively when I changed the oil in my Mustang GT350. I had the Quick Jack then as well, but I reasoned the location of the oil pan drain allowed me to completely empty the pan. I recently used the Race Ramps with the Vette, after I brought it home, to install the front splitter. Worked out quite nicely! I haven't used the Quick Jack yet as I am waiting for the "lift pucks" I ordered from ACS. Thanks for pointing this out @Basil2000 !
Basil2000 (06-14-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
Assuming your car is at stock ride height, you can get the floor jack (with an appropriate jacking puck of your choice) under the car and lift the car high enough to slip the jack stands under the front cross member. If you have two floor jacks its easier not to have to move it from side to side, but most people only have one, so..... Anyway, no ramps needed assuming its not lowered like I said earlier. I don't use ramps for oil changes. And the dry sump Z51/GS has two oil drains.
Not on my Grand-sport ( at stock height) !! I have a low profile jack that I purchased for my previous Z51 packaged C7, it will NOT fit under the side skirts. While I am sure that there are some that go lower.. ramps are the way to go. The lifts are obviously preferred but at a premium. I am just not under this car often enough .
Old 05-12-2020, 09:33 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Not on my Grand-sport ( at stock height) !! I have a low profile jack that I purchased for my previous Z51 packaged C7, it will NOT fit under the side skirts. While I am sure that there are some that go lower.. ramps are the way to go. The lifts are obviously preferred but at a premium. I am just not under this car often enough .
It doesn't clear with pucks? Same car here, no problem.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
A reasonable concern, but a number of members have checked. We found elevating the rear to make the car perfectly level only results in a couple tablespoons more of oil drained.
In regards to dry sump, your statement is unsubstantiated and unverified. Others have posted over the years the remaining oil is more significant than what you suggest.

Last edited by MMD; 05-12-2020 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MMD:
DALE#3 (05-14-2020), joyryd_1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMD
In regards to dry sump, your statement is unsubstantiated and unverified. Others have posted over the years the remaining oil is more significant than what you suggest.
Do you really think that leaving behind a half quart of oil is going to lessen the lifespan of the engine though? It's not like the oil most people are draining out is even close to the end of it's life anyways (especially those still stuck in the old school 3000 mile club), so a little bit of that old oil mixed with 80-85% new oil is going to be perfectly fine.

It was well known that the C5 needed to have it's rear end higher than the front in order to get the most oil out, but yet I just drove it up on ramps for all of my oil changes with mine. It didn't hurt the life of that engine, it had 133k on it when I sold it, and that LS1 did not burn any significant amount of oil and the oil analysis results always looked great. I even went further than the oil life monitor recommended a few times (going 1000 to 2000 miles further after it hit zero that is)

Obviously, if you can easily get the car perfectly level (like if you have your own lift) then by all means do it that way. But if it involves having to break out the jack stands and it takes you a bunch of extra time to get the car level, it's not worth it, IMO. With my C7 I like the simplicity of just driving it up onto the Rhino Ramps. I am fully confident that even though I'm leaving some old oil behind at each change, my LT1 is not going to wear out prematurely.
Yourconfused (06-21-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Patman
Do you really think that leaving behind a half quart of oil is going to lessen the lifespan of the engine though? It's not like the oil most people are draining out is even close to the end of it's life anyways (especially those still stuck in the old school 3000 mile club), so a little bit of that old oil mixed with 80-85% new oil is going to be perfectly fine.

It was well known that the C5 needed to have it's rear end higher than the front in order to get the most oil out, but yet I just drove it up on ramps for all of my oil changes with mine. It didn't hurt the life of that engine, it had 133k on it when I sold it, and that LS1 did not burn any significant amount of oil and the oil analysis results always looked great. I even went further than the oil life monitor recommended a few times (going 1000 to 2000 miles further after it hit zero that is)

Obviously, if you can easily get the car perfectly level (like if you have your own lift) then by all means do it that way. But if it involves having to break out the jack stands and it takes you a bunch of extra time to get the car level, it's not worth it, IMO. With my C7 I like the simplicity of just driving it up onto the Rhino Ramps. I am fully confident that even though I'm leaving some old oil behind at each change, my LT1 is not going to wear out prematurely.
I have been around a few years and have owned many vehicles. Most every vehicle I ever owned has at least 300,000 miles on them before I ever sell them or dropped them off at the salvage yard. I am a big believer in maintaining a vehicle to last and believe changing all vehicle fluids on a regular basis is key to prolonging the life of any vehicle. While it can be debated the effect of not removing every last drop of oil I say why not remove as much as is practical. When I change vehicle oils I will remove a plug to start the process of removing the oil. I'll then wipe my hands clean and return 4-5 hours or even later to install the filler nut.

I don't bother with driving up my Race Ramps any longer. I bought a set of Race Ramp "cribs". I can get the vehicle up off the floor more reliably and level in less than 5 minutes. It doesn't take that much time. I'll just jack the vehicle up and sit each tire down on the cribs perfectly centered and stable. Cribs offer a lot of safety, much more than using jack stands. Additionally, you never have to be concerned about driving up the ramp perfectly centered. They are super light weight and very stable to use. This setup is much less expensive than purchasing a Quick Jack and has the added benefit of not taking up very much storage space and they require no maintenance. These things will last a lifetime. You can pass them on to your grand kids.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMD
I have been around a few years and have owned many vehicles. Most every vehicle I ever owned has at least 300,000 miles on them before I ever sell them or dropped them off at the salvage yard. I am a big believer in maintaining a vehicle to last and believe changing all vehicle fluids on a regular basis is key to prolonging the life of any vehicle. While it can be debated the effect of not removing every last drop of oil I say why not remove as much as is practical.
I agree with you, with the point being "as is practical" For me, I really don't find it practical to jack up the rear end of my car and put it on jack stands just to have it level. I'm a believer of changing all the fluids on a regular basis too (not just the motor oil) but I also don't go overboard either. My daily driver 2006 Civic has 156,000 miles on it now and still runs perfectly. When I change it's oil (every 7 to 10,000 miles) I definitely don't get every last drop out. But I have changed the trans fluid every 50k or so, I've done the brake fluid once, and I change the coolant every couple of years. The C7 will get a similar regimen. Maybe someday I'll have a lift and I can do "level oil changes" but for now I'll just keep using the Race Ramps.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz
I'm psycho! I use a jack on each side of the front pucks. Jack the front up and place some Rhino ramps in from the front. Lower the jacks. Place the jacks under the rear pucks. Jack up the rear and put jack stand under the rear dif to where the oil pan just off level, front to back and side to side, for the best drainage.

I do mine with the Rhino Ramps too. Works great.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
In regards to dry sump, your statement is unsubstantiated and unverified.
Yes, I know this is what you claim, but I have actually done it. Very little additional oil comes out when you lift the rear so that it is level after draining the oil with the fronts on ramps on my Z06.

Think about it, the angle of the car is small with the front on ramps. It is not as if the car front to back is at 45 degrees.

But if you want to obsess over a couple of ounces, go for it!

Old 05-12-2020, 08:09 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elk
Yes, I know this is what you claim, but I have actually done it. Very little additional oil comes out when you lift the rear so that it is level after draining the oil with the fronts on ramps on my Z06.

Think about it, the angle of the car is small with the front on ramps. It is not as if the car front to back is at 45 degrees.

But if you want to obsess over a couple of ounces, go for it!
It's not as intuitive as you may think it is. There are internal baffles and channels internal within the lower pan that may hinder somewhat complete oil removal from the pan if the oil change is done on ramps versus being level.

Here are a few thoughts that came from other CF members that differ from you claim of just a few ounces. These posts came from this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

Old 05-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I happy to see anecdotal stories but - once again - the "more than a quart" claim is not my experience.

Try it and let us know what you find!
Old 05-13-2020, 04:25 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111

I know alot of guys "drive" up their Rhino Ramps, but I guess my garage floor is too slippery - everytime Ive tried, the ramps push forward... So I jack them each wheel instead - super easy and super safe. I add a Jack Stand or two for "just in case" safety.
Easy solution--buy two rubber backed carpeted door mats, put one under each Rhino ramp, and they won't slide. I bought two Christmas door mats (bought in the Spring/Summer time years ago, because they were the cheapest ones I could find at Walmart). On my C7, however, I jack it up and put it on jack stands for oil changes. Easiest car I've ever owned in terms of jacking it up and putting it on jack stands.

I do use the Rhino ramps to change oil on my 67 Corvette convertible--works well on that one because the oil pan drain plug is at the back of the oil pan. Rhino ramps have never slid with the carpet mats under them.

Get notified of new replies

To Ramps or jacks for oil change - advice

Old 05-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I made my own ramps with 2x4's turned on edge, with 1x4's to hold them together. I made 4 of them when I had my C6. It raises my C7 vette ~4.5". I have plenty of room to change my oil and filter.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:33 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

I use wooden ramps. Only about a 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart of oil is left in the system.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

We need pics in tis thread. Hard to visualize what is said. Have you Cell nearby in case you are crushed. 911 on speed dial.

Last edited by Mr. Livingston; 05-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Ramps or jacks for oil change - advice