Sponsored by:

C7 1LT coupe A8 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

Default C7 1LT coupe A8 buying advice

I am looking at a 2015 1LT coupe with 2800 miles. Can you give me some advice on what to check before I buy the car? It's an A8 automatic and apparently there are problems with this transmission. Any suggestions on what to check or inspect before I buy the car would be appreciated. I am a 15 year forum member but it's been a long time since I bought my 2005 C6 new and actively posted. The powertrain warranty just expired. Would a GM extended warranty pay for transmission problems if they occur? Thanks to all.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Does the car come with an extended GM warranty or you would be buying an extended warranty at the time of car purchase? That aside, let’s talk about the elephant in the room that there are “problems with this transmission”. I personally would NEVER EVER buy any car with a transmission issue even if it was covered by a warranty especially the A8 transmission.

Before I add what to look for please give us more insight as to why you want to buy THIS CAR vs a problem free C7?

Last edited by Maxie2U; 04-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I read it as, he heard there are problems with the A7 transmission in general, not the one in this car. Has it had the triple flush or whatever they do with the A7's? I've only had M7's so I'm not up to date on that issue. I'd get the VIN and have a dealer check the history. If it checks out I'd look into an extended warranty. If the price of that warranty is too much, it might be better to look at a newer one. I'd get them to do the triple flush if it wasn't done already. Have a mechanic look it over. Make sure there were no mod's that would make it difficult to get work done on the extended warranty or cause you problems with emissions in your area.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 04-12-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
I read it as, he heard there are problems with the A7 transmission in general, not the one in this car. Has it had the triple flush or whatever they do with the A7's? I've only had M7's so I'm not up to date on that issue. I'd get the VIN and have a dealer check the history. If it checks out I'd look into an extended warranty. If the price of that warranty is too much, it might be better to look at a newer one. I'd get them to do the triple flush if it wasn't done already. Have a mechanic look it over. Make sure there were no mod's that would make it difficult to get work done on the extended warranty or cause you problems with emissions in your area.
Perhaps some background information might be helpful. I am a 74 year old Guy who looks at life through 18 year old eyes. 1st Corvette 1967 brand new at age 21. Paid cash. Followed by 84, 87 and 2005. Paid cash for all. My current C6 2005 was purchased knew and has 24000 miles on it. No problems except now that I want to sell it to a family member I discovered a rear main seal leak. Got to get that fixed before I sell it. Subject for a new post. Need to know cost to repair. If anyone knows you can save me a post in the C6 forum.
The 2015 has a clean vehicle history. I want to buy it because I like it. Paying cash again. No known problems but I have yet to drive it since the car is being held hostage by the dealer until this virus thing allows the dealers to reopen for business. 1st 3 years ownership put on 315 miles. 2nd owner in 2 years 2500 miles. The exterior is flawless and I do mean flawless. The purpose of my original post was to get advice on what to look for when I do drive the car before I complete the purchase. I have agreed on a price and terms by email to the sales manager at his home since they are unable to operate the retail end of the dealership until our governor comes out from hiding under the bed with this virus thing. Have been reading posts about transmission shuddering and 1st gear to 2nd gear shift abnormalities. My question about the extended warranty which I had also purchased And not used on my C6 Was asked to give me some backup if a problem develops early on in the ownership of the new car. So what should I be looking for or asking when I do drive the car? Don't forget the vehicle history is clean. So I'm just asking what the initial inspection should involve And what potential problems others have experienced that I might want to look for Before I hand over the cash. Again, thanks for the responses in advance.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:32 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

A car in that condition at a Chevy dealer, the dealer should be willing to certify it pre-owned (CPO). That gives the buyer a 1 year BTB warranty, 2 years free maintenance, and ups the powertrain to 6 years/100k miles.

It costs the dealer something to do that, but it would be worth it to you to pay that up-charge. I don't know if you can hand off from that 1 year BTB to a GMEPP warranty, variable for up to 84 months, but that would be worth research.

Shudder and warble, both the TSB's from GM outlining the problem and how to test for it, and the owner's description of the feel at the speeds which they occur at are so prevalent on this forum that there should be no problem for you to recognize it on your test drive.

There is also the non-hygroscopic 2019 transmission fluid flush and fill that allegedly solves the problem, time will tell if a fluid solution to a mechanical problem lasts past the warranty period of the 2019's.

There is the RANGE AFM, a $189 miracle that i have used from new on two different vettes. no shudder or warble with 9900 combined miles on both A8's, Make sure you buy a new RANGE direct from RANGE.

Vettes got warts, as does every car.....but

Breaking traction in third gear at 100 mph? Whip me, harder, Sister Mary Wheelspin, because this is living and I want to LIVE!
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...etter-ferrari/
Old 04-12-2020, 02:15 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I just bought a 17 1LT A8. Make sure the transmission had the transmission fluid flushed. Mine is fine. Mine had the triple flush. I too, installed the Range. And for peace of mind, I am extending my existing power train warranty in the near future. I think the car your looking at is fine. Just do a little investigating. Let us know if you get the car. Good luck. And so far, I LOVE the transmission. This car is QUICK.

Last edited by meadowz06; 04-12-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:18 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,937 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Got friends with A8s... one has almost 80,0000 trouble free miles, the other, almost 70K miles... also trouble free. I just traded an MN7 with high miles for a '19 A8.... I'm not worried.
The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

If it is a base (non Z-51) car with the 2.41 rear end, be sure to check for the "warble" issue. Plenty of info if you use the search function on this forum. Listen to what it sounds like and be sure the car you're considering does not have it.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:50 PM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Well I think you have just summed up all of the previous posts. The bottom line is flush the trans with Mobile one blue label. Consider disabling the cylinder deactivation with a Range. Pop for an extended warranty for a little peace of mind down the road. Not sure if the extended warranty would pay for the trans flush but if it doesn't I'll just pay the $450 and have it done myself. I found the TSB and printed it out so now I know what I'm dealing with. Nice to be back on the forum. I'll post some picks If and when I finally get the car.

Thanks to all you guys.
beaversstonehaven (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:42 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette junkie
Well I think you have just summed up all of the previous posts. The bottom line is flush the trans with Mobile one blue label. Consider disabling the cylinder deactivation with a Range. Pop for an extended warranty for a little peace of mind down the road. Not sure if the extended warranty would pay for the trans flush but if it doesn't I'll just pay the $450 and have it done myself. I found the TSB and printed it out so now I know what I'm dealing with. Nice to be back on the forum. I'll post some picks If and when I finally get the car.

Thanks to all you guys.
Tell the dealer your aware of a issue with the A8 and negotiate the triple flush (if it hasn't been done already) as a condition of purchase, don't pay for it OOP.
best of luck.
dave_2012_tt (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:31 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,734 Likes on 3,012 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't think that a car with 2,800 miles on it would need anything, maybe an oil change?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 1LT coupe A8 buying advice

Quick Reply: C7 1LT coupe A8 buying advice