Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 04:34 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Alignment

I live in leesburg fl. I have a 2017 vert with 31k on the clock. my factory alignment has never been touched and thats how many miles I was able to get on a set of tires in just over 3 years owning the car. Then I picked up a nail in the front tire so I put a new set of tires on the car about 500 miles ago.
last week I let my 30 year old daughter drive my car to work so I could take hers in for service Now I pick up my car from her house and the car feels like it has square tires and shakes like hel- I get home and call her and she says OH I forgot to tell you I hit a big pot hole on the way to work.

Now after saying all that can anybody tell me of an alignment shop in central florida that can check this out and put it back to the factory settings if needed. I want to be careful because I read a lot of stories on here about tires and only getting 10k for mileage
Old 02-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,279 Likes on 3,502 Posts

Before this is moved to a regional section of the Forum let me say to also have the tire/wheels on the side of the car that hit the pot-hole checked for bends, cracks, and out-of-round. That is a more likely source of your issues, especially if a wide-body.
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,375 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Unfortunately, vibration is much more likely to be caused by a bent wheel than by mis-alignment.
Best to have them both checked.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:39 PM
DeweyIsgod
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, if you do get an alignment, consider a street alignment vs. factory specs unless you're doing track time. I've been to Leesburg and seen a lot of straight roads. You'll get better/more even life out of these tires vs factory settings should wear the insides of each tire first.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:39 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Avanti
Before this is moved to a regional section of the Forum let me say to also have the tire/wheels on the side of the car that hit the pot-hole checked for bends, cracks, and out-of-round. That is a more likely source of your issues, especially if a wide-body.
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Unfortunately, vibration is much more likely to be caused by a bent wheel than by mis-alignment.
Best to have them both checked.
Originally Posted by DeweyIsgod
Also, if you do get an alignment, consider a street alignment vs. factory specs unless you're doing track time. I've been to Leesburg and seen a lot of straight roads. You'll get better/more even life out of these tires vs factory settings should wear the insides of each tire first.
Thanks guys my car is at the dealer, The dealer has to order a new wheel from Detroit. A new tire also then do the alignment at a cost of 1736.?? good thing I put a tire and wheel insurance on the car. It's all covered except the alignment. no other damage to the underside of the car.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:26 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jim spitzer
Thanks guys my car is at the dealer, The dealer has to order a new wheel from Detroit. A new tire also then do the alignment at a cost of 1736.?? good thing I put a tire and wheel insurance on the car. It's all covered except the alignment. no other damage to the underside of the car.
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to get a wheel. There have been issues with them being on back order for weeks due to the high numbers of bent and cracked wheels.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to get a wheel. There have been issues with them being on back order for weeks due to the high numbers of bent and cracked wheels.
I think the wheel issue was from the wide body cars. I could be wrong. My car is a 2017 2lt base vert so my wheels are 18s and 19s either way I'm using the time the car is gone to work in my garage. Well as long as it dont take 6 months it's ok

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment

Quick Reply: Alignment