Sponsored by:

Short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 02:38 AM
Rpinaiii
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Short throw shifter?

Hi, new to the corvette, very awesome car. I have a 2019 Stingray M7. Would like some info on what short throw shifter you all suggest. I am looking for just the shifter shaft (stick) not the whole assembly. I know little about the products or quality brands out there for the corvette. I'll do the installation, so the easier the better. Appreciate your help. I have searched but want firsthand feedback.

Popular Reply

01-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpinaiii
So with MGW, I can buy the shifter without the whole assembly? Again just looking for the shaft. I'll look into it. As one stated the main goal is to get more precision and also help with the treaded 1st and 2nd gear shifting. I dont track the car but do very spirited driving lol. I have had the car since September. I have an 18 Mustang GT as well. I added a Steeda short throw shifter (shaft only)and it made the driving experience so much better that I want to do the same to the Corvette. But I know more about mustangs than corvettes. Hence why I am asking for feedback.
The first thing you need to realize is a shifter shaft change or a shifter assembly change aren't going to resolve those issues. Take your index finger on your left hand and use it and the thumb to make a circle, then take the index finger of your right hand and put it through the hole. That is all the Corvette shifter is: A stick through a hole. Precision of the shift depends on the transmission's design and the 1st to 2nd gear nibble depends on the interior condition of the transmission. There is nothing that can be done outside of the transmission.

All of the shifters available do is tighten the diameter of the hole or move the hole up or down on the stick or do both. Since the bottom of the stick is hard caught in the transmission shift linkage that means the length of the shaft sticking into the cockpit changes or the arc it travels through changes. Shortening the shaft just increases the amount of force required to move the transmission gears by reducing the lever length.

The stock shifter if held correctly will let you use your finger tips and the heel of your hand to shift gears using mostly wrist movements without much movement of the arm.

Bill
Old 01-26-2020, 06:45 AM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Im really happy with my MGW. Easy install and looks great.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS 163:
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020), yetman (02-13-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:47 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

x2 MGW, makes it so much better
The following users liked this post:
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
x2 MGW, makes it so much better

x3 MGW is great
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:46 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Received 482 Likes on 233 Posts

First let me preface this by saying I totally get everyone has different preferences and am in no way discounting what anyone personally wants to do to make their vette their own.

I traded a 2015 gt mustang with 500hp for my 17z51 m7 this past nov. One of my favorite mods on the mustang was the hurst short throw shifter and I thought for sure I wanted a short shifter on my vette.

however I will say after having driven for 2 months and reading here my view has changed and I’m actually very content with the stock at this point. Granted I don’t track my car and you may have other goals in mind.

my point is why not drive for a couple months and see if you really need the mod, also try and find a corvette club and ask to give a quick drive with someone that has a short throw. For some people from what I have read, the ss requires more work to drive and doesn’t fix some of the stock issues like the notorious 2nd shift.

anyways, absolute best of luck and looking forward to hearing what you are trying to accomplish with the mod and the direction you go!
The following 4 users liked this post by jipper:
Cadigti (01-26-2020), Corgidog1 (01-28-2020), Rpinaiii (01-26-2020), shakinrock (05-20-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:14 AM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

I have MGW shifters in my 04 Z and 09 Z. I felt they were a must due to the vagueness in the shifting. However in my 19 Z I have not been moved to make the change. The stock shifter is pretty good for day to day driving. If I was going to track the car I would make the switch to the MGW. The quality of the MGW is excellent.
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:58 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

The transmission feel for the shifter has changed since the c6 and c5 t56. It is an improved feel because of the transmission.

The shifter assembly is identical in the c7 to the c6 part. I put in my mgw from my c6 to my c7 z06 and I found the mgw adds a bit more precision to it.
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:39 AM
Rpinaiii
Racer

So with MGW, I can buy the shifter without the whole assembly? Again just looking for the shaft. I'll look into it. As one stated the main goal is to get more precision and also help with the treaded 1st and 2nd gear shifting. I dont track the car but do very spirited driving lol. I have had the car since September. I have an 18 Mustang GT as well. I added a Steeda short throw shifter (shaft only)and it made the driving experience so much better that I want to do the same to the Corvette. But I know more about mustangs than corvettes. Hence why I am asking for feedback.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:34 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

There's some give to the stock shifter assembly in the base portion. It uses rubber dampers when bolted to the transmission housing which dampens vibration. The linkage rod is also guided by rubber bushings which will wear over time.

The shifter itself uses a plastic cup to slide within the linkage and also is a wear item. The stick on its own is not replaceable on the stock setup.

The mgw shifter replaces the shifter and lower half component. The shift stick is height adjustable.

The callaway replaces just the upper half and has stiff springs in its design to assist with centering.
A tmod lower box is a separate purchase which modifies a stock lower half with a lower half with poly or metal bushings.

If you have good shift technique and can hit 5th without going into 7th, get the mgw.

If you want stiffer and hate accidently hitting 7th go callaway. Both will improve feedback and precision but the lower half is a separate cost when going callaway.
The following 3 users liked this post by SladeX:
dcarr (03-01-2020), Rpinaiii (01-26-2020), Runningmann12 (03-28-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:54 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 245 Posts

somehow this guy missed the 20 threads about MGW =)

after you get your mgw, also replace the factory manual transmission fluid with redline D4, its a big improvement. the factory fill is crap and is at least partly responsible for the notchy shifting usually before warmed up, the 1->2 nonsense and so on.

you can get the stuff off amazon, most of the time a local store wont have it in stock. they then immediately say oh we can order it etcetc.. and its like well no ****, of course you can, but i myself can do the same thing. thanks amazon =D
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Zchris
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Im kinda surprised anyone would feel the need to upgrade it. Am i the only one that thinks the stock shifter is great? I love the shifter in my new C7. Way better than any other car ive had in the past.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zchris:
bhk2 (04-05-2020), Blue Curvette (11-23-2020), frankb (01-27-2020), Jayhawk94 (02-14-2020), shakinrock (05-20-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 01:31 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 666 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Zchris
Im kinda surprised anyone would feel the need to upgrade it. Am i the only one that thinks the stock shifter is great? I love the shifter in my new C7. Way better than any other car ive had in the past.
I think the stock shifter is fine and I've seen the install vids for the MGW and it's not something I want to do to my car.
frankb (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 05:06 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I've had the MGW and Callaway and both are good shifters. For me the Callaway is better and the installation is easier than the MGW. I put 15,000 miles on the MGW before I tried a Callaway and highly recommend it. If you want to tighten things up even more add the t-mod lower box. That is an amazing combination and a pleasure to use. It may however cause some vibration issues because of the harder grommets with the t-mod box.
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:22 PM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Oy !! He is not complaining about the quality of shifting he just wants a shorter shifter, is how I read it.

Rick
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrvettt:
Rpinaiii (01-26-2020), Runningmann12 (03-28-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpinaiii
The first thing you need to realize is a shifter shaft change or a shifter assembly change aren't going to resolve those issues. Take your index finger on your left hand and use it and the thumb to make a circle, then take the index finger of your right hand and put it through the hole. That is all the Corvette shifter is: A stick through a hole. Precision of the shift depends on the transmission's design and the 1st to 2nd gear nibble depends on the interior condition of the transmission. There is nothing that can be done outside of the transmission.

All of the shifters available do is tighten the diameter of the hole or move the hole up or down on the stick or do both. Since the bottom of the stick is hard caught in the transmission shift linkage that means the length of the shaft sticking into the cockpit changes or the arc it travels through changes. Shortening the shaft just increases the amount of force required to move the transmission gears by reducing the lever length.

The stock shifter if held correctly will let you use your finger tips and the heel of your hand to shift gears using mostly wrist movements without much movement of the arm.

Bill
The following 6 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
96GS#007 (02-14-2020), FLEXjs (01-26-2020), frankb (01-27-2020), Jbugg (04-05-2020), Rpinaiii (01-26-2020), Scruff Vette (01-27-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

I have used assorted shortened shifters for most of my cars, including making my own real ***** out of black Belgian cue-*****, but for the C7 I opted to simply get rid of that gawd-awful thing GM thinks is a ****. A real shift ball will effectively shorten the shaft (and likewise the throws a small amount), plus feel and look like a car and not a cheap marital-aid. ENJOY, no matter how you opt to go!
The following 3 users liked this post by Avanti:
boss2k (05-20-2020), Jmhornz71 (01-26-2020), Rpinaiii (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:29 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

You might consider a really easy variant of a short throw shifter: a round cue ball type of ****. They're available; and they mount just like your stock **** -- one screw.
With the round **** installed, the top of the **** will be lowered by about one inch from stock position, and the throw, fore and aft, will be reduced by about 1/2 inch.
This is what I use on my current C7 Z06, and it works very well for me. I actually prefer it to several brands of short-throw shifters that I've tried.
(Looks like Avanti, above, beat me to the punch with this idea, so you have two of us suggesting this solution.)

Ernie

Last edited by ErnieD; 01-26-2020 at 07:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ErnieD:
boss2k (01-27-2020), Rpinaiii (01-27-2020), Runningmann12 (03-28-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Short throw shifter?

Old 01-26-2020, 08:03 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 666 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
This ^^^

I took a colleague for a drive in my Vette. He owns an M3 and a Scatpack Challenger. First thing he commented on was how effortless the shifting looked and that it looked like I had to do no more than move my wrist to change gears.
The following 3 users liked this post by FLEXjs:
Blue Curvette (11-23-2020), Rpinaiii (01-27-2020), Runningmann12 (03-28-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:11 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Zchris
I could see swapping the shifter to get the last bit of precision for a car that does a lot of track time but IMO the stock shifter is excellent. It's the best I've had in a dozen manual shift cars...
Old 01-27-2020, 12:07 AM
Rpinaiii
Racer

Originally Posted by SladeX
There's some give to the stock shifter assembly in the base portion. It uses rubber dampers when bolted to the transmission housing which dampens vibration. The linkage rod is also guided by rubber bushings which will wear over time.

The shifter itself uses a plastic cup to slide within the linkage and also is a wear item. The stick on its own is not replaceable on the stock setup.

The mgw shifter replaces the shifter and lower half component. The shift stick is height adjustable.

The callaway replaces just the upper half and has stiff springs in its design to assist with centering.
A tmod lower box is a separate purchase which modifies a stock lower half with a lower half with poly or metal bushings.

If you have good shift technique and can hit 5th without going into 7th, get the mgw.

If you want stiffer and hate accidently hitting 7th go callaway. Both will improve feedback and precision but the lower half is a separate cost when going callaway.
Good info. I see how it works..

Quick Reply: Short throw shifter?