Chickened out....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Then you also don't understand what it takes to keep a car running reliably.
Here's one clue. Waiting until a critical part fails, means you fail.
So are you saying that you replace every critical part that's required to start a car like the starter every so often, just because? Sounds like a waste of money to me, which means you fail.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:54 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
So are you saying that you replace every critical part that's required to start a car like the starter every so often, just because? Sounds like a waste of money to me, which means you fail.
Did you even read the post you quoted ? Or do you just not understand what it says.

Let me help you.

If the goal is to keep a car running reliably, then waiting until a component fails, means you failed at achieving the goal.
Take that however you want, but to say replacing critical parts "every so often just because" (using your words) is failing due to cost, when it is clearly a requirement for meeting the goal, makes me think you are just trying to be a d-bag.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-06-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,799 Likes on 5,631 Posts

I'm more in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, which has definitely paid off for my 1996 Toyota Tacoma which I'm enjoying 414,000 trouble-free miles. I have replaced (3) batteries proactively, but other than that, I've only replaced brakes, starter, alternator and clutch only when they failed. Truck still has original coolant, brake fluid, manual trans and rear-end grease.

As you can tell from the below photos (all original paint) I have taken very good care of this truck, I just don't believe in replacing parts before they're needed and this philosophy has saved me quite a bit of $$$ over the years.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Bavaria (10-06-2019), beaversstonehaven (10-06-2019), Patman (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:31 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'm more in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, which has definitely paid off for my 1996 Toyota Tacoma which I'm enjoying 414,000 trouble-free miles. I have replaced (3) batteries proactively, but other than that, I've only replaced brakes, starter, alternator and clutch only when they failed.Truck still has original coolant, brake fluid, manual trans and rear-end grease.

As you can tell from the below photos (all original paint) I have taken very good care of this truck, I just don't believe in replacing parts before they're needed and this philosophy has saved me quite a bit of $$$ over the years.
Waiting until components actually fail is certainly an option, but if that's the way you are handling things, then by definition you cant claim reliability is the highest priority.
Obviously there is nothing wrong with an individual taking this approach, but there are plenty of situations where its prohibited beyond the level of an individual. One example might be commercial trucks which are subject to certain sorts of safety inspections. Imagine if airplanes took the "wait until failure" approach … lol.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-06-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Waiting until components actually fail is certainly an option, but if that's the way you are handling things, then by definition you cant claim reliability is the highest priority.
Obviously there is nothing wrong with an individual taking this approach, but there are plenty of situations where its prohibited beyond the level of an individual. One example might be commercial trucks which are subject to certain sorts of safety inspections. Imagine if airplanes took the "wait until failure" approach … lol.
I do basic maintenance religiously.... oil changes at 5,000, batteries 5>6 years and brakes at the first indication of any issue what-so-ever. What we don't do is live our lives in fear of everything, like that a vehicle may leave us stranded for an hour. We do live in the age of cell phones, on-star, AAA etc.. Can't remember the last time any family member broke down in as vehicle.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:56 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I do basic maintenance religiously.... oil changes at 5,000, batteries 5>6 years and brakes at the first indication of any issue what-so-ever. What we don't do is live our lives in fear of everything, like that a vehicle may leave us stranded for an hour. We do live in the age of cell phones, on-star, AAA etc.. Can't remember the last time any family member broke down in as vehicle.
If you lead a sheltered enough life, then of course someone is always available to rescue you.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

If you lead a sheltered enough life, then of course someone is always available to rescue you.
I've lead anything but a sheltered (been robbed at gunpoint twice, and been shot in the side with a hunting arrow) which has taught me not to "fear" simple inconveniences such as being stranded by broke down vehicle.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:48 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I've lead anything but a sheltered (been robbed at gunpoint twice, and been shot in the side with a hunting arrow) which has taught me not to "fear" simple inconveniences such as being stranded by broke down vehicle.
When someone is readily available to rescue you, then of course its a simple inconvenience.
Not everyone leads that sort of risk free life … lol.

Ps - Did the arrow have a suction cup on the end of it ?

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-06-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

It is remarkable how any subject can lead this group to mindlessly insulting each other.

He replaced a car battery, people. Get over it.
The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 01:43 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Elk
It is remarkable how any subject can lead this group to mindlessly insulting each other.

He replaced a car battery, people. Get over it.
You should read the thread about the new GS no start …
Old 10-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

You are correct. I stopped reading that thread a good while ago.

Separately, that thread is about a very sad situation.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you even read the post you quoted ? Or do you just not understand what it says.

Let me help you.

If the goal is to keep a car running reliably, then waiting until a component fails, means you failed at achieving the goal.
Take that however you want, but to say replacing critical parts "every so often just because" (using your words) is failing due to cost, when it is clearly a requirement for meeting the goal, makes me think you are just trying to be a d-bag.
Yes I understand, and if you want to waste money replacing parts that you don't know when they might fail is your business. Reading your posts in this thread sounds like you're the d-bag.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Yes I understand, and if you want to waste money replacing parts that you don't know when they might fail is your business. Reading your posts in this thread sounds like you're the d-bag.
Do you replace your water filter in your fridge or sink when the expected life is up, or wait until the taste of the water makes you gag?

Batteries are consumables.

This might be the time to bring up the question of whether or not you know how to even get in the car (or out) when the battery is dead?
ShadowGray19 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:37 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

What I said makes sense. Just because you or others don't agree doesn't make it insulting. Your statement made no sense at all unless it was intended to be an insult. Good job.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

This thread has gone off the deep end with folks trying to justify to themselves replacing something that isn't broken. lol
Kevin A Jones (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Chickened out....