Sponsored by:

Soler Throttle Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:23 PM
BRomanelli
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Soler Throttle Control

Several months ago I was lucky enough to read about the Soler throttle bodies. I had been experienced a lot of throttle lag on my 2015 M7. It was terrible. Coming away from a light or starting off from anywhere was always a challenge and trying to find that sweet spot between the clutch and gas was a never ending journey. I had purchased another manufactures throttle body and when it came there were no instructions at all. Installing was easy but what to do after was not outlined and it didn't do what I though was supposed to do. I called and was sent out another one thinking there was something wrong with the first one. The same issue occurred. Background. I was trying to get rid of the lag that you get when you are standing at idle and you blip the throttle. Like trying to find that sweet spot. With the throttle body installed from the other vendor the idle sounded worse and when I blipped the throttle it sounded like a wounded animal. I sent it back as well. I will admit I was not aware that the car had to be "broken in" with the new throttle body and driven. Directions or a conversation would have fixed that problem and educated me. Fast forward to Solar. I called Mike and had a very nice conversation with him. He explained everything to me and how his throttle body worked. With all of the documentation he had shown on the forum I new I had to try it. Once it arrived I did the install. The lag if you will when you just blip the throttle off idle wasn't entirely gone but significantly better. The one thing that was so evident was the way the car reacts now coming off idle. No more hunting and pecking for the sweet spot and now the car moves and not stalls as the clutch is let out. Also after speaking with Mike we discussed the thing I wanted to get rid of and he offered to send me another that may have been better suited to the mods I had on my car no charge. I received it and yet again installed another throttle body. I did not notice any difference so I reinstalled the original one he sent me. He told me that what I was looking to get rid of was more than likely only removable with a tune. At that time he told me about the new throttle controller and would I be interested in testing it. I said yes. Last week I saw that the new TC had come out. I emailed Mike to remind him of our conversation regarding testing. No sooner had I answered his email I got an email saying one TC was in the mail.
I installed the TC on Sunday and drove the car for about 10 miles for each of about 15 different increments from 1.2 - 2.9. The throttle response was so much better and it almost felt like I was driving a car with a throttle linkage as opposed to a software driven throttle. I settled in on around 2.2 as the best place for me with the TB that I have. Once again the blip I was trying to get rid of was still there but not nearly as evident as before and for me now insignificant. Drivability was a whole new experience. If I had one negative I'd ask for the wires to be longer (6"). I'd rather hide wire than have to struggle with wires that could have been a little longer. The reason for this write up (sorry its long) was to talk about not only two absolutely great products that do everything the manufacture says but to also talk about absolutely great customer service and documentation regarding installation and setup. First class all the way.
Thanks Mike.

Last edited by BRomanelli; 09-23-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
Mike@SolerEngr (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 PM
CptCvMan
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BRomanelli
Several months ago I was lucky enough to read about the Soler throttle bodies. I had been experienced a lot of throttle lag on my 2015 M7. It was terrible. Coming away from a light or starting off from anywhere was always a challenge and trying to find that sweet spot between the clutch and gas was a never ending journey.

I had purchased another manufactures throttle body and when it came there were no instructions at all. Installing was easy but what to do after was not outlined and it didn't do what I though was supposed to do. I called and was sent out another one thinking there was something wrong with the first one. The same issue occurred.

Background. I was trying to get rid of the lag that you get when you are standing at idle and you blip the throttle. Like trying to find that sweet spot. With the throttle body installed from the other vendor the idle sounded worse and when I blipped the throttle it sounded like a wounded animal. I sent it back as well. I will admit I was not aware that the car had to be "broken in" with the new throttle body and driven. Directions or a conversation would have fixed that problem and educated me.

Fast forward to Solar. I called Mike and had a very nice conversation with him. He explained everything to me and how his throttle body worked. With all of the documentation he had shown on the forum I new I had to try it. Once it arrived I did the install.

The lag if you will when you just blip the throttle off idle wasn't entirely gone but significantly better. The one thing that was so evident was the way the car reacts now coming off idle. No more hunting and pecking for the sweet spot and now the car moves and not stalls as the clutch is let out.

Also after speaking with Mike we discussed the thing I wanted to get rid of and he offered to send me another that may have been better suited to the mods I had on my car no charge. I received it and yet again installed another throttle body. I did not notice any difference so I reinstalled the original one he sent me. He told me that what I was looking to get rid of was more than likely only removable with a tune.

At that time he told me about the new throttle controller and would I be interested in testing it. I said yes. Last week I saw that the new TC had come out. I emailed Mike to remind him of our conversation regarding testing. No sooner had I answered his email I got an email saying one TC was in the mail.

I installed the TC on Sunday and drove the car for about 10 miles for each of about 15 different increments from 1.2 - 2.9. The throttle response was so much better and it almost felt like I was driving a car with a throttle linkage as opposed to a software driven throttle. I settled in on around 2.2 as the best place for me with the TB that I have. Once again the blip I was trying to get rid of was still there but not nearly as evident as before and for me now insignificant.

Drivability was a whole new experience. If I had one negative I'd ask for the wires to be longer (6"). I'd rather hide wire than have to struggle with wires that could have been a little longer.

The reason for this write up (sorry its long) was to talk about not only two absolutely great products that do everything the manufacture says but to also talk about absolutely great customer service and documentation regarding installation and setup. First class all the way.
Thanks Mike.
Thanks for the write up. Glad to see another good product from Soler.
AaronZ51 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Thank you, Bob, Captain.

Most times, we don't hear anything, which is good news. When we do, it is great. Very glad to have this feedback that everything is working as it is supposed to, and more importantly, as you thought it would.
www.solerengineering.com

Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Great write up.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Would love to try one of thr throttle body, but I would be close to $600 to much for a TB at this point.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 PM
Litfuse
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I need to order mine. I have had about every brand of throttle control devices on my various cars over the years. I look forward to seeing how this product stacks up.
Mike@SolerEngr (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by REDBULLIT
Would love to try one of thr throttle body, but I would be close to $600 to much for a TB at this point.
REDBULLIT; what makes you think it will be close to $600? You can actually get one for less than 1/2 that. Check our exchange program or reworking your own TB. Same warranty. Thx.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:49 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
REDBULLIT; what makes you think it will be close to $600? You can actually get one for less than 1/2 that. Check our exchange program or reworking your own TB. Same warranty. Thx.
Well the deal is that I have a ported one, paid $399, and you charge what is it $250 to redo? That's $650, to me that's way to much for a TB.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by REDBULLIT
Well the deal is that I have a ported one, paid $399, and you charge what is it $250 to redo? That's $650, to me that's way to much for a TB.
I see, didn't know about the first $400. I agree.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:48 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BRomanelli
Several months ago I was lucky enough to read about the Soler throttle bodies. I had been experienced a lot of throttle lag on my 2015 M7. It was terrible. Coming away from a light or starting off from anywhere was always a challenge and trying to find that sweet spot between the clutch and gas was a never ending journey. I had purchased another manufactures throttle body and when it came there were no instructions at all. Installing was easy but what to do after was not outlined and it didn't do what I though was supposed to do. I called and was sent out another one thinking there was something wrong with the first one. The same issue occurred. Background. I was trying to get rid of the lag that you get when you are standing at idle and you blip the throttle. Like trying to find that sweet spot. With the throttle body installed from the other vendor the idle sounded worse and when I blipped the throttle it sounded like a wounded animal. I sent it back as well. I will admit I was not aware that the car had to be "broken in" with the new throttle body and driven. Directions or a conversation would have fixed that problem and educated me. Fast forward to Solar. I called Mike and had a very nice conversation with him. He explained everything to me and how his throttle body worked. With all of the documentation he had shown on the forum I new I had to try it. Once it arrived I did the install. The lag if you will when you just blip the throttle off idle wasn't entirely gone but significantly better. The one thing that was so evident was the way the car reacts now coming off idle. No more hunting and pecking for the sweet spot and now the car moves and not stalls as the clutch is let out. Also after speaking with Mike we discussed the thing I wanted to get rid of and he offered to send me another that may have been better suited to the mods I had on my car no charge. I received it and yet again installed another throttle body. I did not notice any difference so I reinstalled the original one he sent me. He told me that what I was looking to get rid of was more than likely only removable with a tune. At that time he told me about the new throttle controller and would I be interested in testing it. I said yes. Last week I saw that the new TC had come out. I emailed Mike to remind him of our conversation regarding testing. No sooner had I answered his email I got an email saying one TC was in the mail.
I installed the TC on Sunday and drove the car for about 10 miles for each of about 15 different increments from 1.2 - 2.9. The throttle response was so much better and it almost felt like I was driving a car with a throttle linkage as opposed to a software driven throttle. I settled in on around 2.2 as the best place for me with the TB that I have. Once again the blip I was trying to get rid of was still there but not nearly as evident as before and for me now insignificant. Drivability was a whole new experience. If I had one negative I'd ask for the wires to be longer (6"). I'd rather hide wire than have to struggle with wires that could have been a little longer. The reason for this write up (sorry its long) was to talk about not only two absolutely great products that do everything the manufacture says but to also talk about absolutely great customer service and documentation regarding installation and setup. First class all the way.
Thanks Mike.
For us with the M7, would you say the better starting point would be to get the Soler throttle controller first? Sounds like that helped more with the lag out of 1st gear.

Last edited by jtranger; 09-23-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Mike at Soler Performance is outstanding to deal with.. I was having an issue with my throttle body and he sent a brand new one to test... His throttle body fixed everything..

I may just have to try the Throttle controller
The following 2 users liked this post by cowboy casey:
427C62013A (09-30-2019), Mike@SolerEngr (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 358 Posts

You spend $55,000 minimum for a C7 Corvette sports car with the dumbed down throttle response of a pickup truck. For $350 ($275 for a ported throttle body and $75 for a throttle controller) you can bring this beast to life! I would do it again, for sure!
The following 4 users liked this post by The Successful Plumber:
65fastback (09-24-2019), badhabit_wb (09-28-2019), JackTBear (12-23-2019), Mike@SolerEngr (09-26-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Spanky723
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike,

I'm very interested in picking up an exchange TB soon, having the same inconsistent throttle tip in as others.
Do you anticipate any sales coming up in the near future?

THANKS!
Mike
Mike@SolerEngr (09-26-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
For us with the M7, would you say the better starting point would be to get the Soler throttle controller first? Sounds like that helped more with the lag out of 1st gear.

M7 owner here...absolutely start with the ported throttle body first.

Here’s one way I will describe it ...a ported throttle body is your meat potatoes ( A necessary meal ) and a throttle controller is the desert. ( always fun but definitely not necessary).
on my M7 mikes TB made such huge difference on clutch engagement it really changed how the car behaves.
Mike@SolerEngr (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Just got mine today...hopefully get a drive in before the snow....
Mike@SolerEngr (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:03 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Great product ....(TB) Great company and Great guy (Mike) who stand behind their product and will not stop caring until you are satisfied.
PS Got my TC... will install it this weekend

Last edited by bbrown450; 09-27-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Mike@SolerEngr (09-27-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 03:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I had a ptb from someone else. When I talked with Mike he suggested I buy a new body from him if I didn't want to port my factory one. That way if I didn't like his i could keep the other one. It looked like zero risk to me so I ordered one last Friday and installed it Monday. I've already sold my other ptb. It is absolutely worth the money. If you don't like it Mike will take it back and give you a full refund. If you already have a ptb from someone else try this one. You'll end up selling the other one. It really is that good. I have a 19 z06 and it's well worth it if you are actually going to drive your car.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 09-29-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Mike@SolerEngr (09-30-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Soler Throttle Control

Old 09-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm thinking of the TB for the wife's M7 2015 car and real interested in trying the TC for my '19 A8 GS when drag racing as it seems like it would help zeroing in leaving off the 2nd or 3rd bulb as stock I know my C5 was all over the board trying to cut consistent lights, I have been racing 20+ years with cable controlled cars and was consistent there but the drive by wire is a different animal.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 AM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine (A8) operates much better/smoother with the Soler, your right foot knows exactly what the cars going to do now.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 PM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Another satisfied customer. My 17 M7 is much more enjoyable to drive. Tip in is much better. Mike is great to deal with and answers quickly. The Soler TB works far superior than the Vitesse rhrotle controller. Best mod for the money.

Quick Reply: Soler Throttle Control