Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handicap parking....is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:14 PM
you2slow
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you Superman with x-ray vision?

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Seriously, please enlighten me on that point. TY.
I have severe arthritis in my hips and knees. This is not obvious to the naked eye, and there are many times that I use a cane to walk. While I can get in and out of my car with some effort I can barely walk about the length of a city block before my hips feel like they're on fire! If I could trade my physical disabilities for a relatively healthy body perhaps like yours I would do it in a heartbeat! As the saying goes, walk a mile in my shoes and you will understand. I need hip replacements, but sometimes the cure can be worse than the original problem. Arthritis is a hereditary problem in my family.

Last edited by you2slow; 09-18-2019 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 02:52 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Were all those Corvettes displaying handicap placards?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:13 PM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Handicap Parking

I needed a handicap sticker for 3 months earlier this year. Normally, my wife would be with me, but occasionally, I was by myself. Yes, I used my cane to help me out of the car, and sometimes I did feel a tinge of guilt, but I needed it, and it was available.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:01 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Garymorris
Wow, you are clueless. I broke my back 8 years ago and am a complete paraplegic with no feeling or movement below my chest...and I drive a C6. Since you have no idea how people in chairs get get around and how transfers work you should really shut your mouth. A vette is no harder to get in and out of than any other car for me and actually is easier since the big doors give me more room to pull the chair in after me. The wheels come off and into the back and I put the chair in the passenger seat. People like you make everything I do worse because I get back looks and comments everywhere I go plus I have to worry about some douche like you keying my car or something despite having a tag in the window. Low vehicles are much easier to get in and out of than a tall truck or suv.
You need to calm down. The OP specifically wanted to be educated and he asked as such. Maybe he hasn't had any issues, or have any relatives with issues, or even knows anyone with disabilities (including your situation), etc. You are calling him out because he cannot imagine situations where someone might have a HC sign and not show physical signs of its need. Well, you are being just as close-minded by not imagining anyone who cannot come up with these types of situations on their own. He doesn't have experience and asked question; end of story; no wrong doing here.

He did not say, people shouldn't have a HC sign or that HC people shouldn't have corvettes. He wanted to know what are some of the possible situations. He didn't want to judge people wronging and came here for some education. Everyone else before you was able to do that without the anger and condescension you just showed him.
Krusty84 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

At this point --- I think we all have learned something . To be grateful for what you have and not to judge others solely by the car that they drive or where they park it. Thanx for all the back ground on "other" handicaps.
jmeirhofer (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Based on the replies so far, I'm going with "It's (mostly) just you" in answer to the question in the thread title.
Malum1 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,993 Likes on 5,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Seriously, please enlighten me on that point. TY.
Heart or lung condition. excessive weight, bad knees, back, feet, or some other orthopedic problem. Fatigue due to medication side effects, etc. A large number of Corvette owners aren't in the best physical condition.

Bill
B747VET (10-11-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:14 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
You need to calm down. The OP specifically wanted to be educated and he asked as such. Maybe he hasn't had any issues, or have any relatives with issues, or even knows anyone with disabilities (including your situation), etc. You are calling him out because he cannot imagine situations where someone might have a HC sign and not show physical signs of its need. Well, you are being just as close-minded by not imagining anyone who cannot come up with these types of situations on their own. He doesn't have experience and asked question; end of story; no wrong doing here.

He did not say, people shouldn't have a HC sign or that HC people shouldn't have corvettes. He wanted to know what are some of the possible situations. He didn't want to judge people wronging and came here for some education. Everyone else before you was able to do that without the anger and condescension you just showed him.
LOL...If you don’t see this as the douche post it is you need to work on your reading comprehension. Are you actually proposing that this was an honest question or that someone as old as the OP couldn’t figure it out?

Over the years I have watched many Corvettes parked in handicap parking spaces. And during the recent Corvette Caravan every night at the hotels and at the Corvette Museum the handicap parking spaces were filled with Corvettes.

I could not help but think about how that reflected badly on Corvette owners because the fact is if you can get in and out of a Corvette how badly handicap could you be not to be able to park in the non handicap spots 10 feet away?

I am ready to be enlightened on how somebody can get in/out of a Corvette but can’t walk 10-30 feet.
Malum1 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
A large number of Corvette owners aren't in the best physical condition.
And, judging by this thread and a few others, angry at the world and everyone in it.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, here is my two cents. First, Being handicapped can come in many forms and may or may not have anything to do being able to drive or get in and out of a vehicle. Do you have the same outlook for someone dually authorized to use handicapped parking when it comes to trucks or SUVs? If not, why? It can be just as difficult getting in and out of trucks and SUVs as it is vettes!!! 2nd, my 82 year old mother is handicapped and I take her shopping and to her medical appointments all the time in my C7. Her handicap has nothing to with getting in and out of vehicles. Has everything to multiple open heart surgery’s and a breathing disorder. So the next time you start questioning someone driving a vette and being duality and legally authorized to utilize handicap parking maybe you should look yourself in the mirror and ask “what makes you so special”!,,, Save the wave and stop hating so much!!!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 👋
Old 09-18-2019, 06:24 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Not allowed to drive Corvette with handicap sticker, good to know, glad I checked in here today.
Malum1 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
LOL...If you don’t see this as the douche post it is you need to work on your reading comprehension. Are you actually proposing that this was an honest question or that someone as old as the OP couldn’t figure it out?

Over the years I have watched many Corvettes parked in handicap parking spaces. And during the recent Corvette Caravan every night at the hotels and at the Corvette Museum the handicap parking spaces were filled with Corvettes.

I could not help but think about how that reflected badly on Corvette owners because the fact is if you can get in and out of a Corvette how badly handicap could you be not to be able to park in the non handicap spots 10 feet away?

I am ready to be enlightened on how somebody can get in/out of a Corvette but can’t walk 10-30 feet.
Maybe so, but only in response to someone mistreating another. The op may have been judging with his comments but he still took the time and effort to find out if he was making poor judgments. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and support the fact the multiple people before the above poster were able to make their point without calling him names and telling to keep his mouth shut.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 09-18-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,739 Likes on 876 Posts

As Jerry Seinfeld once said, how does the handicapped parking work at the special olympics?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This Guy certainly does not get it... What a role model

B747VET (10-11-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Maybe so, but only in response to someone mistreating another. The op may have been judging with his comments but he still took the time and effort to find out if he was making poor judgments. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and support the fact the multiple people before the above poster were able to make their point without calling him names and telling to keep his mouth shut.
And the OP had the grace to come back and post how there was a lot that he hadn't previously considered.

Kudos to Maxie2U!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 650 Posts

I used to wonder how many people were using spaces for handicapped people, but were not handicapped at all. Four things made me realize that (as many have said) things may not always be what you see.

1. My late friend Charlie had one leg amputated above the knee, but LOOKED fine from a distance. He would get dirty looks for parking in a space reserved for disabled people......and he did notice it. Lifting his pants up and "adjusting" his prosthetic leg quickly put those folks in their place when they saw it for themselves. There are also people with "internal" injuries or ailments that we may not see from looking at them across a parking lot.

2. I was temporarily handicapped for 3 months in 2018. I had a bad fall at work where I fractured my patella and tore my quadriceps muscle in my right knee. I had to have surgery and was on crutches for quite awhile & then had to wear a knee brace afterwards. The DMV gave me a placard to hang from my rear-view mirror in any vehicle in which I rode or drove. I could drive my C7 (as my left leg was able to work the clutch), although getting in and out was tougher than normal and walking long distances posed a challenge for awhile. (Fortunately, I made a complete recovery. Other than not being able to run, I am otherwise okay & grateful to have my mobility back. NEVER take it for granted.)

3. My girlfriend's mom is almost 80 now and has mobility issues. She has a handicapped tag on her car & a placard she can use if she rides with someone else in their vehicle. I drive her car sometimes and NEVER, EVER have parked it in a handicapped spot if she is not with us. Even though it is tempting, I just cannot bring myself to do it (guilty conscience?).

4. A college buddy of mine had a double lung transplant and has issues with walking long distances, but he appears "healthy" if you see him. He has a placard for his vehicle - which he deserves. He has greatly improved and is doing his best to regain his strength - considering he nearly died before they found a donor.

We just cannot be so quick to judge - and ALL OF US have been guilty of doing that at one time or another!
The following 2 users liked this post by JK 23112:
Malum1 (09-18-2019), Steve_R (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, guess I gotta sell the Corvette.........Hulk sad!

I see all sides of this. I have DV plates. Too many years of feeling invincible and conducting lots of foot patrols with way too much gear. I only use it on the days i have to and leave the handicap for those that need it. It does hurt to pull myself in and out of the Vette and my days are numbered that I will even be able to drive it so I am doing it while I still can. Not just the Vette but my truck too. I am only 50 this year. I know people judge until they see me start walking. Docs looking at my X-rays swear I am 80.

I have, as a supervisor, busted an employee using her mother's handicap hangar. Made her feel like crap because we had folks that actually needed the closer spots and and she definitely did not. Can't say she quit using it outside work but she certainly did not use it in our parking lot. I was still in my prime then so no, I was not looking out for myself.

Watched a young lady on a college campus bounce out of her Range Rover with a hefty pack full of books park in the handicap spot and then hang a handicap hangar up. I was in much better shape then and I could not keep up with her on the way to class. Legitimate, maybe but doubt it.

On the veteran side, its a mixed basket. I see guys with missing limbs and serious war injuries getting the VA rating they deserve and definitely deserve the DV or HV plate. Still some pretty hard chargers out there that don't let it slow them down. On the flip side, I see FOBits (term given to a person that never leaves a base in a combat zone) that never went on patrol, never did a convoy and may have never even deployed but claim PTSD and BS injuries, receive a VA rating, get a service dog, a DV plate and a huge VA check because they had a hang nail while watching Full Metal Jacket on TV.

Bottom line, there are legitimate handicap people out there and some that are abusing the system. Some of both populations drive Corvettes. Good on those that use the system for what its for and shame on those that don't. The type of car driven should not be the factor.
Malum1 (09-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Handicap parking....is it just me?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,950 Likes on 1,625 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I've been eligible for a HC tag since '02, heart condition, other medical issues, never applied for one, I'll walk....slowly....I need all the exercise I can get. I don't begrudge anyone who legally has one.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,163 Likes on 742 Posts

I am missing 1/4 to 1/2 of the bones, nerves and muscles in my left leg due to a bad accident. (there is no white light). I have steel and wire mesh in my leg. I can usually get in and out of the Vette with no issues using my arms as a help - walking distance can be very difficult especially on damp cold days. I make stairs by 1 degree - which is how much you can lift your toes with the heel on the floor.

Last summer I had a huge - fat woman complain that I took the last handicap spot.as I got out of the vette ..(she was yelling out of the window of her truck) Another woman saw my left leg - ( I finally started wearing shorts in the summer (took a while)) . The woman who saw my leg went off on the fat one - I thanked her and went into the store.

If I was wearing full length pants you would never know the issue, maybe by the slight limp.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 09-18-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Malum1 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 PM
tabloma@comcast.net
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maxie2U
You need enlightening, as said before demographics plays a huge roll. Most people in Corvette are life long car people if not life long Corvette people.
For me I have a Handicap Parking permit I have Myasthenia Gravis and my Lumbar is completely screwed together and fused. Any hell yes I SLOOOOWLY get in my ZR1.and enjoy every minute of it. Then slowly get out at a hotel go inside and ask for help me get my bags to my room. A rough and tuff guy like yourself should maybe offer to help that person
How about People going through:
Chemo
Radiation
MS
Or have:
Bad knees
COPD This biggest cruise night we have during the summer is at a church lot, a woman did that whole show all summer with a colostomy baAfib

What at about a war veteran with permanent injuries that effect his whole life and you are going to claim he should not have a handicapped spot
Maybe a war veteran with life long injuries that will always leave him handicapped but he fought for us so we have or freedom
Parkinson
Multitude of Autoimmune arthritis's wheel himself to the hotel or restaurant.

The biggest car show we have every week is at a church lot 400 plus car every week. The woman that ran it did it all summer with a colostomy bag. Could you handle that? In surgery today for the reversal God bless Dawn for a speedy recovery
I hope someday I have the pleasure to meet you. I am sure you will be in your parents basement set up like your apartment and your watching MSCBC on you Ipad and CNN on you TV while your Prius is charging
Only a small Partial list. Sit in a Neurologist office for day and see what people have,Or a cancer treatment center and watch what these people go through.
Real Car guys won't and don't give up this hobby until they absolutely have to.
I was at LS Fest a few weeks ago, ran my can to 10.95 at 128MPH, but guess what. I had a friend help me get my car out of my trailer, I walked from my trailer to my car got into the staging lanes sat there made my run, came back to my trailer and got on my electric handicapped cart because my walking limit is less than a mile till my muscle are weak. There was a guy in wheel chair they got out of their chair into the car to race.

Tonite we were at a car show:
One guy has titanium toes because of Arthritis
a guy with Parkinson's
a guy fighting cancer
A guy getting over cancer

I guy in a C6 corvette with his wheel chair in the back trunk area. He gets out shimmies to the side to the back of his car with leg braces on both Legs gets his chair out. He sees more of any show than I see and he is never without a smile. Should he park at the end of a lot ?

This is why our country is in such an influx right now. ME FIRST
​​​​​​​So Look up Myasthenia Gravis and some other deceases people get then that god for health and what you have. THEN GET OFF THIS Board

Quick Reply: Handicap parking....is it just me?