Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Sad, and it happens all too often.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:28 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 304 Posts

In summary of this informational tread, here is what I summarized:

Non RF Pros: Less expensive, better ride, no chatter, longer tread wear, most all repair shops can fix.
Non RF Cons: flat tire anywhere can be a problem, need slime, compressor or tow. Weather and location can be an issue.

RF Pros: can drive on (no getting out) to safety and repair , better for tracking
RF Cons: More expensive, some repair shops may not fix, harder ride then non RF, tire replacement more often (Tread wear).
Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette

Non RF Pros: Less expensive, better ride, no chatter, longer tread wear, most all repair shops can fix.
Non RF Cons: flat tire anywhere can be a problem, need slime, compressor or tow. Weather and location can be an issue.

RF Pros: can drive on (no getting out) to safety and repair , better for tracking
RF Cons: More expensive, some repair shops may not fix, harder ride then non RF, tire replacement more often (Tread wear).
Sounds right to me.
A very good summary.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

I'm going to chime in here and say I've had two experiences with run flat tires. One on my 16 CTS and one last summer on my 15 Callaway z06. Each time I drove home without issue. Next day ordered a new tire and had them replaced when they came in. No fuss. No stuck on the side of the road. I love zf tires and will never go back to being without them on a car I own.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Sounds right to me.
A very good summary.
Thanks but you know we need the Foosh blessing on this, lol
The following 2 users liked this post by V Vette:
mdiiulio (02-24-2019), PatternDayTrader (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,190 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Thanks but you know we need the Foosh blessing on this, lol
Hopefully, you're one of the lucky ones who can go 40 years and not get a flat
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
Hopefully, you're one of the lucky ones who can go 40 years and not get a flat
LOL, Thanks but not that lucky!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:29 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

From driving on both run flat and non run flat for the last 15 years:

- AAA is not an answer for choosing long-run flat tires. AAA does not guarantee they have or will send a roll back wrecker that won't damage your vette.
- Patches only work if you have a specific type of flat. What are you going to do if you are in the middle of the highway, 50 miles from the nearest exit, and patches dont work.
- On the other hand, if your run flat can't be fixed, there are still a very limited number of tire dealers (and gm dealers) that can (and/or will) fix or REPLACE a runflat. It takes an expensive, special touchless, tire mounting machine for runflats.

So, there is not a clear answer. You have to evaluate your individual situation, and make your own choice.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:34 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RACE U
From driving on both run flat and non run flat for the last 15 years:

- AAA is not an answer for choosing long-run flat tires. AAA does not guarantee they have or will send a roll back wrecker that won't damage your vette.
- Patches only work if you have a specific type of flat. What are you going to do if you are in the middle of the highway, 50 miles from the nearest exit, and patches dont work.
- On the other hand, if your run flat can't be fixed, there are still a very limited number of tire dealers (and gm dealers) that can (and/or will) fix or REPLACE a runflat. It takes an expensive, special touchless, tire mounting machine for runflats.

So, there is not a clear answer. You have to evaluate your individual situation, and make your own choice.

Please add something to the list if I missed something, thanks!

Last edited by V Vette; 02-24-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,231 Likes on 3,466 Posts

From my experience Run Flats are essentially useless.

With luck they will get you somewhere that doesn't have a clue about getting a replacement tire to match. Get a comrpressor as others have said. Adding a little air along the way can take you far... if need be (if the tire is ruined anyway, nothing will help but a new tire, of course). This may not be handy, but will do the job. Anti-leak of one sort or another is okay, but don't be surprised is you tell the tire changer in advance and he/she telsl you to go elsewhere. And, if you don't tell them... well, I wouldn't want them working on my car afterwards. You can always carry plugs, too.... probably better than nothing, depending on how they are made.

Now, all that said, I've been running non-Run Flats for over 17 years on my C5 (which I also still have). It was my daily driver for years and I took it cross-country, etc. I always had a compressor is all... all its tires may be flat in it in the morning, but I've yet to use the compressor I carry in all my over-the-road vehicles.

All the best in any event!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,190 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
From my experience Run Flats are essentially useless.

With luck they will get you somewhere that doesn't have a clue about getting a replacement tire to match. Get a comrpressor as others have said. Adding a little air along the way can take you far... if need be (if the tire is ruined anyway, nothing will help but a new tire, of course). This may not be handy, but will do the job. Anti-leak of one sort or another is okay, but don't be surprised is you tell the tire changer in advance and he/she telsl you to go elsewhere. And, if you don't tell them... well, I wouldn't want them working on my car afterwards. You can always carry plugs, too.... probably better than nothing, depending on how they are made.

Now, all that said, I've been running non-Run Flats for over 17 years on my C5 (which I also still have). It was my daily driver for years and I took it cross-country, etc. I always had a compressor is all... all its tires may be flat in it in the morning, but I've yet to use the compressor I carry in all my over-the-road vehicles.

All the best in any event!
Your post was a bit confusing over all, but I'll only ask one question now, instead of several.

Huh?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Please add something to the list if I missed something, thanks!
Chatter has nothing to do with RF vs NRF. It's the summer tire compound on the cold wide (PSS) tires that produces chatter in tight turns on the C7. The AS3+ ZP does not chatter either when cold because it also has the more compliant AS rubber compound when cold.

I also disagree with you on better ride on RF vs. NRF. My experience with one set of each over 3 years of swapping back and forth indicates otherwise when both are warm. Ride comfort on RF are comparable to NRF today.

Some folks who have swapped from OEM PSS runflat to the AS3+ runflat have reported better ride comfort, but I don't perceive a difference when both are adequately warmed up, and it has more to do with cold tire temps. Summer max performance tire compounds are harder when cold. Moreover, a lot of folks who only take very short, low speed trips in C7s never get the PSS adequately warmed up.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-25-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Lol ….
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader

One thing is for sure, you didn't address the question directly.

Actually, the question in the OP's post asked..."What is the best option if you get a flat?"

Foosh answered that question directly and accurately. He in fact gave the best answer.

The best option if you get a flat is to have proactively installed run-flats on your car, thus if tire damage ever occurs, you can continue cruising down the road in your Vette, with the climate control set to a comfy temperature and listening to the Rolling Stones on your stereo...instead of laying on the side of the road with assorted tom-foolery such as a tire patch kit, a can of slime, and a portable air compressor.

Regards,
-Ward
The following 2 users liked this post by Ward Cleaver:
Foosh (02-25-2019), ladder13 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver
Actually, the question in the OP's post asked..."What is the best option if you get a flat?"

Foosh answered that question directly and accurately. He in fact gave the best answer.

The best option if you get a flat is to have proactively installed run-flats on your car, thus if tire damage ever occurs, you can continue cruising down the road in your Vette, with the climate control set to a comfy temperature and listening to the Rolling Stones on your stereo...instead of laying on the side of the road with assorted tom-foolery such as a tire patch kit, a can of slime, and a portable air compressor.

Regards,
-Ward
No, no. That just makes too much sense. We can't have any of that here!
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Regards,
-Ward
Yeah ok Captain Hindsight. Maybe if you talk to Mr. Obvious he will explain what's wrong with your claim.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I've realized PatternDayTrader hasn't added anything of merit to any thread I've seen him posting in. Actually it is usually the opposite. Another for the ignore list ....

sorry for going OT. Please continue.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWillys:
ladder13 (02-26-2019), speedlink (02-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Non Run Flat - what do you do if...

Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by DWillys
I've realized PatternDayTrader hasn't added anything of merit to any thread I've seen him posting in. Actually it is usually the opposite. Another for the ignore list ....

sorry for going OT. Please continue.
Nice. I like that, because if you cant connect the dots here, then you might as well remove yourself from future discussions I may be involved in, and that's what ignore lists are for.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:55 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
Chatter has nothing to do with RF vs NRF. It's the summer tire compound on the cold wide (PSS) tires that produces chatter in tight turns on the C7. The AS3+ ZP does not chatter either when cold because it also has the more compliant AS rubber compound when cold.

I also disagree with you on better ride on RF vs. NRF. My experience with one set of each over 3 years of swapping back and forth indicates otherwise when both are warm. Ride comfort on RF are comparable to NRF today.

Some folks who have swapped from OEM PSS runflat to the AS3+ runflat have reported better ride comfort, but I don't perceive a difference when both are adequately warmed up, and it has more to do with cold tire temps. Summer max performance tire compounds are harder when cold. Moreover, a lot of folks who only take very short, low speed trips in C7s never get the PSS adequately warmed up.
Foosh all is good and I like my AS3+ better than my stock RF.. Quiet, smooth, better longevity (per Mich) and no chatter!. Its all good ! Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 11:59 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

listening to the Rolling Stones on your stereo...instead of laying on the side of the road with assorted tom-foolery such as a tire patch kit, a can of slime, and a portable air compressor.

Regards,
-Ward
Ward, Yes and ahhh, The Rolling Stones! Excellent choice!

Quick Reply: Non Run Flat - what do you do if...