Sponsored by:

Something comparable to Protect-A-Top or Carbrella

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM
VUDUC7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something comparable to Protect-A-Top or Carbrella

I have a C7 Stingray and I'm looking for a top to protect the interior of the car during those short errands when you just don't feel like placing the top back on the car. I think both Protect A Top as well as Carbrella have been discontinued. The only comparable item I've found is the Cali Pop Top,
which in comparison to the Protect a Top and Carbrella, doesn't seem as easy to install/uninstall and also doesn't seem to be made of comparable material. I'm not sure if it's even lined (I suppose I can email the manufacturer on that). So, my question is two-fold...do any of you fine people know where I can still find a Protect A Top or Carbrella OR can anyone give me feedback on the Cali Pop Top?

Cheers all!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had the C6 protect a top, though we didn't use it much.
I tried it once on our C7, IIRC it looked a little goofier than on the C6 (where we called it "the toupee") but fit well enough to do the job.

Don't trust my memory on this, but if you can find one to check, you can probably find one to buy.
Best of luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
fastter (01-23-2019), VUDUC7 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM
VUDUC7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
We had the C6 protect a top, though we didn't use it much.
I tried it once on our C7, IIRC it looked a little goofier than on the C6 (where we called it "the toupee") but fit well enough to do the job.

Don't trust my memory on this, but if you can find one to check, you can probably find one to buy.
Best of luck.
thank you! I think I came across a couple for the C6 during my search!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

See if you can get a pic of the C6 top on a C7, I’d hate to have you buy one and discover it wouldn’t work for you. Maybe start a new thread asking for a photo.
I’d do it with ours but the unheated garage is so cold, something might crack.
The following users liked this post:
VUDUC7 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the california pop top. You can use the same one on a c6 hardtop, c6 convertible, and a c7 convertible for sure as I have done so. They are really easy to put on and take off. They fit nicely in the cubby in the trunk. I live in Austin, Texas and use it in the summer to reduce heat. It works very well.

FYI, the california pop top is made out of Tyvek. It is washable in the washing machine and it needs to be since birds tend to leave things on it you don't want stored in your car.

Last edited by Jcrumpley; 01-23-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
VUDUC7
Intermediate

See if you can get a pic of the C6 top on a C7, I’d hate to have you buy one and discover it wouldn’t work for you. Maybe start a new thread asking for a photo.
I’d do it with ours but the unheated garage is so cold, something might crack.
Thanks again my friend - that's a great idea! After reading your post yesterday I searched for the C6 Protect A Top, alas they've been discontinued as well and are out of stock at the one location I found that carried them. I think unless I'm able to locate a used one, I'm going to have to go with the Cali Pop Top.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM
VUDUC7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jcrumpley
I love the california pop top. You can use the same one on a c6 hardtop, c6 convertible, and a c7 convertible for sure as I have done so. They are really easy to put on and take off. They fit nicely in the cubby in the trunk. I live in Austin, Texas and use it in the summer to reduce heat. It works very well.

FYI, the california pop top is made out of Tyvek. It is washable in the washing machine and it needs to be since birds tend to leave things on it you don't want stored in your car.
Thank you! I did email the folks at Cali Pop Top after my post and they reiterated your exact comments - Tyvek & water resistant as well as being lined with a soft felt-like material. The Protect A Top and Carbrella have been discontinued, so it's looking like a Cali Pop Top for me! Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Jcrumpley

Can one person install on a windy day, or does it require two?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM
VUDUC7
Intermediate

Can one person install on a windy day, or does it require two?
youtube video (see original post) shows one guy installing the cover relatively easily, but on a calm day. It's secured by the mirrors, corners of the trunk and tucked beneath the wiper blades - so several points to hold it in place while you walk around the car. looking at it, my guess is that one person could do it on a "normally" windy day.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

The video also shows him installing this (somewhat convoluted) cover over a Vert with the top already up.

My first thoughts are "why not just put the top back on or up? " It probably takes less time. Coupe maybe, but the Vert definitely .
Old 01-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Is this for real? This is worse than the plastic door sill covers. As stated above, just put the top back on if you’re worried when parking it.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The california pop top is easy to install on a windy day. When you take it off, you roll it forward and then roll it across the car. To put it on is the opposite. The wipers and mirror hold it in place and it locks under the rear hatch or trunk.

The reason for using this top is for heat reduction. If you have to park out in the sun, it makes a huge difference. It can be installed with the convertible top down, but I never use it that way. To me, it makes the difference in Texas summer, from the steering wheel and shifter being too hot to touch. It also make the air conditioning on those days cool very quickly. It you are not in a hot environment, you probably don't need it.

Last edited by Jcrumpley; 01-24-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 PM
VUDUC7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by owc6
The video also shows him installing this (somewhat convoluted) cover over a Vert with the top already up.

My first thoughts are "why not just put the top back on or up? " It probably takes less time. Coupe maybe, but the Vert definitely .
LOL...agreed! I have the coupe, so I'm just looking for something to put on for those short stops like lunch or a quick errand....don't really see any need for such a product with the vert....

Get notified of new replies

To Something comparable to Protect-A-Top or Carbrella

Quick Reply: Something comparable to Protect-A-Top or Carbrella