C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a dashcam in your Corvette ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 666 Posts

Blackview DR900S-2CH here also. Blendmount makes a mirror mount for them, but not one that holds both camera and radar detector. So I was able to modify the Blendmount for the Max 360 to hold the camera too.

For the rear camera, there was a post that I could not locate that shows how to mount the rear camera. Wish I could find it for you. They used Neodymium Disc Rare Earth Magnets that are very thin and placed them under the "arch" and then the rear camera mount plate holds on like it is glued but it is not and so it can be removed with no permanent markings.

Last edited by Flame Red; 12-25-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skatduder (07-11-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

A good review of many of the top dashcams.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Blackview DR900S-2CH here also. Blendmount makes a mirror mount for them, but not one that holds both camera and radar detector. So I was able to modify the Blendmount for the Max 360 to hold the camera too.
For the rear camera, there was a post that I could not locate that shows how to mount the rear camera. Wish I could find it for you. They used Neodymium Disc Rare Earth Magnets that are very thin and placed them under the "arch" and then the rear camera mount plate holds on like it is glued but it is not and so it can be removed with no permanent markings.
My rear camera is installed under the arch.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
Another vote here for the Blackvue DR-900S 2-CH. No need to fiddle with microscopic buttons and the software is rock solid. And for any dash cam you install in a C7, get a polarizing filter to minimize reflections of the dash due to the steep rake of the windshield.
Where did you find the filter?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

^^^ thedashcamstore dot com
Matthewstorm (12-27-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:48 AM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Blackvue DR750S-2CH. Superior night video and more reliable than the DR900S-2CH. The 750 is 1080P while the 900 is 4K though, so during the day the 900 will provide more pixels... when it's working. It has had some serious overheating problems (google it).
Old 12-30-2018, 02:32 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
No dash cam in mine, yet, but I’ll be checking in this thread for some recommendations.
Buy the owl camera—www.owlcam.com

they had a sale on them for Christmas but not sure if they are still on sale. Records both outside and inside the car and it stays plugged in the port. If you car is hit or entered , the camera starts recording and sends picture to your cellphone you can view.

Last edited by AttyVette; 12-30-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Foosh (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Mike1C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the research and ended up installing the BlackVue DR900S 2 Channel on all three of my vehicles. Only problem I have had is keeping the rear camera from falling down in the Corvette due to Texas heat. Someone mentioned using a magnet to secure it better. Need to look for that fix on the forum.

if you buy a cheap camera you will get a cheap image! Not a big deal until you need it I guess.

Here is the link on using the magnets to mount the rear camera. I think it’s a great idea and already ordered the magnets to re-mount my rear camera.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ms-please.html

Last edited by Mike1C7; 12-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixgun95

How do you have it mounted and powered?

Sorry, didn't see your question until just now, but OwlCam is powered by the OBD2 port. Wires are totally hidden by routing the one wire down the mounting bracket and between dash and windshield, down the edge of dash to the OBDII. They even send you an ingenious wire stuffing tool.

If you need to use the OBD for something else, simply unplug it, and it reboots the next time you plug it back in and start the car. It requires zero operator intervention, and I've never had it crash and reboot. It's been 100% reliable.

It's a relatively new company started by a bunch of former Apple engineers and based in Silicon Valley (Mt. View, CA) close to Apple HQ. They definitely put a lot of "Apple" into it. It's simple and completely intuitive.

For example if someone hits you, you can say "OK Presto" and it automatically saves a clip to your phone that starts well before you gave the command and extends beyond so you have an immediate and complete record of the accident sequence. You have that clip immediately to show police or send to your insurance company, assuming, of course, you want them to see it.

The phone app is all available for for iPhone or Android, and video can be viewed and sent directly from the phone app via either text or email with one click. If you want to change camera settings, you do it all on the phone app. You can watch video from 1000s of miles away via LTE on your phone.

The design and human interface is genius. You just set it up and forget about it. It's always there when you need it.

OwlCam is not cheap, normally $349, but they ran a $100-off special after Christmas, and do promos periodically. It's definitely worth $349.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-30-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:25 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,171 Likes on 746 Posts

Yes I have a dash cam, I don't do tracks so I went cheap. It's the same Kodak one that saved my friend when an idiot in a Jeep drove over his corvette's fender. (2 lanes turn left, she was on the outside, she decided to take it into the left turn lane in the middle of the turn)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Mike1C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

The only thing I can see wrong with the OwlCam is the size. It appears you have to mount it on the front center dash for everyone to see. I like keeping the camera and V1 up high and hidden. Other than that, the Owl looks pretty good!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

I just had my Thinkware F800 Pro dual channel installed. It was a tough job for the installer. We had to remove the targa roof to get the cable from the front to the back. We also struggle with remove the carpet in the back to access the battery and fuse box. Overall it took 3 hours for the install. Just be prepared. It's not easy to get it hardwire properly.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike1C7
The only thing I can see wrong with the OwlCam is the size. It appears you have to mount it on the front center dash for everyone to see. I like keeping the camera and V1 up high and hidden. Other than that, the Owl looks pretty good!

Yes, but it is so compact, that is a non-issue. It's footprint is about the size of a business card. Everything else is HUGE in comparison.

I like the fact the flashing green strobe is visible and serves fair warning to anyone thinking about messing with the car. If they do, you'll have a wonderful shot of them in full HD sent to your smartphone. Once you get an alert, if you react quickly enough, you can actually talk to the scumbag messing with your car from your smart phone.

If scumbag takes the camera, you still have the video on your smartphone of them stealing the camera, and OwlCam will replace any stolen camera free of charge for life.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-30-2018 at 06:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
AttyVette (12-31-2018), Mike1C7 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:33 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
I just had my Thinkware F800 Pro dual channel installed. It was a tough job for the installer. We had to remove the targa roof to get the cable from the front to the back. We also struggle with remove the carpet in the back to access the battery and fuse box. Overall it took 3 hours for the install. Just be prepared. It's not easy to get it hardwire properly.
My dashcam went in my daily not the Corvette. On a Corvette I would think the back camera is best wired under the carpet between the seat and the sill and then up behind the seat and into the headliner there.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:17 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's an honest review of the Owl. https://medium.com/@LanceUlanoff/i-l...r-ef5b93adfa8a

Quote: "... how can I know that Owl will capture that incredible asteroid hurtling toward earth when I have almost no control over what video it’s capturing? "

Looking at Amazon, more than 28% of buyers gave the BlackVue they sell only 1-2 stars. And we ALL know half of all 5 star reviews are fake. (47%)

If spending more money assured one of greater quality, we'd all buy $500 dashcams.

As I said in my original post: "And they all suck!"
Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wadenelson
Here's an honest review of the Owl. https://medium.com/@LanceUlanoff/i-l...r-ef5b93adfa8a

Quote: "... how can I know that Owl will capture that incredible asteroid hurtling toward earth when I have almost no control over what video it’s capturing? "

Looking at Amazon, more than 28% of buyers gave the BlackVue they sell only 1-2 stars. And we ALL know half of all 5 star reviews are fake. (47%)

If spending more money assured one of greater quality, we'd all buy $500 dashcams.

As I said in my original post: "And they all suck!"
That is either not an honest review or it was written by someone relatively incompetent, or both. After reading it, that individual would most likely have difficulty changing a lightbulb.

It was also completely inaccurate on multiple counts. You do not have to sit in your car to capture video, it can be done over LTE on your smartphone, and obviously, if you're going to capture continuous video, you're going to have to scroll to the appropriate time of day to find what you're looking for. If he thought OwlCam was a pain to install, heaven forbid he try anything else. Everything he criticized is essentially true in spades for any dashcam, and installation and retrieval is much more complex on others.

All of the above is simple using the app. Moreover, as I said before the "OK Presto" instant recording feature saves and sends a clip of an event you feel is important to capture, which eliminates the need to search for it.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.
AttyVette (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

The video looked pretty good to me. Not 4k but 2k which should be plenty. I would want a rear camera also as my daily that parks outside the garage is parked nose in so the rear camera is most helpful in that case. Also I have been rearended more times than I have rear ended others. (thankfully it is only 2 to 1 over 50 years of driving). I think the main point of the review is the reviewer simply does not value a dash cam. OK, if that is you, then don't buy a dash cam but this thread will have more value if you simply be quiet and let those that have cams give information to those that want cams. I certainly respect your choice to not want to fool with a dash cam. Respect those that want one.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have a dashcam in your Corvette ?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:20 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,849 Likes on 2,082 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Not too impressed with the "on the top of the dash" mount. To me, it looks clumsy and out of place. I try to keep the interior uncluttered and clean of "add-ons". My V1 is tucked under my mirror and my Blackview is tucked up behind the V1 and my mirror. Barely can see the Blackvue from inside of the car. It gives playback on your iPhone or the chip can be removed for playing on a laptop or desktop.

Elmer
Old 12-31-2018, 11:29 AM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixgun95

How do you have it mounted and powered?
It plugs into the port in your car. The owl camera has various lengths of hard plastic that comes with the camera ( you choose which one fits your vehicle the best) that slide into another piece of plastic with a suction cup that attaches to windshield. The long piece of plastic slides between the windshield and the dash and then the suction cup lifts it up towards the windshield. The end of this has magnetic attachment and the camera snaps right in. The cable running from the port is slide in between the dash and windshield using a piece of plastic tool they include with the camera The cable is placed into slots under the plastic attachment that lead up to the camera and you then attach the end of it to the camera. It’s really very easy to set up -We love ours!

Last edited by AttyVette; 12-31-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:33 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

The DR900S does add Cloud capability, however you need to have the car parked where the camera can find a wifi source to access its images from the cloud. At home I and others placed an extender in the garage so anything parked on the street can always have a wifi signal so we can actively use live view or view recorded clips from the cloud. If you go park at the local Walmart or Shopping Center you will need to have a wifi hotspot on and working to get the cloud capability. At work you likely can piggyback on your wifi there. I have not found the Onstar hot spot very useful although I activated it for 1GB/month when I installed the Blackvue to see if it would help. And it does but only while the car is running or in accessory mode so no help when at a restaurant or other away parking situation. I do own a Verizon hotspot I use at offsite work locations and hotels to get a secure wifi signal that I could put in the car if I really felt that I parked in sketchy places, but so far have not put that in the car, although as I type this I am thinking why not store it there rather than in my briefcase as it can be charged by the in console usb port and will work on its battery when the car is off.

Last edited by pkincy; 12-31-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you have a dashcam in your Corvette ?