Sponsored by:

Blind spot detector

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't have any lane or blind spot systems on our cars, but...

Warning systems don't tell you how to drive, they give you information to make your own decisions.

If you don't like cars that "tell you how to drive", you should be really upset about features that actually do some of the driving for you.
Go right out to your car and pull the fuse for the ABS. Pull the fuse for the Active Handling. Disable the boost in the power steering and power brakes. Etc.
Or just grow up a little and accept that other people have different preferences than you or I.
It's getting to a point where people are going to stop driving their cars and expecting the cars to make all the decisions for them. I had lane departure warnings and blind side warnings along with front collision warnings on my Cadillacs and hated them. I ended up disabling them for the most part. Driving in the snow I would get flashing warnings and my brakes applied because some snow happened to fall over the sensors. My seat would vibrate all the time because it falsely sensed I was out of my lane. The stuff you mentioned are one thing but all this all horse **** is going to cause more problems than solve them.

I hope we don't end up with a bunch of clueless drivers who won't know how to drive because the car stopped telling them how to. Just like the young cashiers at the super markets. If the register doesn't tell them how much change to give back to the customer they have no clue what to do next.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't have any lane or blind spot systems on our cars, but...

Warning systems don't tell you how to drive, they give you information to make your own decisions.

If you don't like cars that "tell you how to drive", you should be really upset about features that actually do some of the driving for you.
Go right out to your car and pull the fuse for the ABS. Pull the fuse for the Active Handling. Disable the boost in the power steering and power brakes. Etc.
Or just grow up a little and accept that other people have different preferences than you or I.
Maybe I was a bit harsh with my first response but when someone says they have almost been killed three times because they don't have a blind side monitor I'm thinking they have no business driving.

Last edited by JDSC8VETTE; 11-21-2018 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SoFloVette (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think we'll both agree that automation and warnings should be used to aid our basic skills, and not become the primary source of information and decisions.

When I started in the airline business, you mostly needed stick & rudder skills. By the time I retired, it was all about button pushing. In the US/Canada/western Europe/etc, there is still enough basic ability to keep things reasonably safe. When you look at Asia and some (un)developing countries, the situation is far different.
JDSC8VETTE (11-21-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 02:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very good discussion - thanks for all the tips on adjusting mirrors to eliminate blind spots.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:07 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,380 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Default Hmm?

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
Great another driver on our roads who wants the car to tell him how to drive. Go buy a Tesla and sit back and go to sleep.
Perhaps you would prefer your car without headlights, taillights, and windshield wipers? Knowledge is power. The lack of it is ignorance.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:13 AM
CptCvMan
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Perhaps you would prefer your car without headlights, taillights, and windshield wipers? Knowledge is power. The lack of it is ignorance.

Yes. There is a reason we have warning stickers on appliances saying no to use in the tub.
On the other hand, not educating yourself is bad too.

I drove one rental with blind side detectors. It was great. After a couple hundred miles, some through Chicago, I got used to it and was able to incorporate into my driving as back up to confirming what I saw in the mirrors was correct. Biggest benefit was being able to keep my head forward facing instead of turning to look over my shoulders. No further than checking the properly set mirrors.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I find it amusing that some feel blind spot detectors are too much when their C7 is essentially one big computer network that controls virtually everything.
nwalker (03-08-2021)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I find it amusing that some feel blind spot detectors are too much when their C7 is essentially one big computer network that controls virtually everything.
Yep, me too. I was surprised that BLIS wasn't standard on all variations, much like the backup camera. Then again, it did take Corvette until the C7 to get a backup camera.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:59 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 477 Posts

bringing this back from the dead. 2017 c7 z06 with comp seats the d/s b pillar is all I see when turning g my head and looking. have lost an entire suv in the pass side mirror and yes my mirrors are adjusted properly. I saw the post for the mirror spotter and they do sell them for the c7. think ill try one for the d/s side and hope it helps from getting swiped when im on a 5 lane interstate and folks are jumping 2 lanes at a time!
Old 04-18-2023, 05:59 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sec
bringing this back from the dead. 2017 c7 z06 with comp seats the d/s b pillar is all I see when turning g my head and looking. have lost an entire suv in the pass side mirror and yes my mirrors are adjusted properly. I saw the post for the mirror spotter and they do sell them for the c7. think ill try one for the d/s side and hope it helps from getting swiped when im on a 5 lane interstate and folks are jumping 2 lanes at a time!
Check out this solution from Sandyeggo Designs: https://www.sandyeggodesigns.com/pro...-for-corvette/
vetten76 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 07:08 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
Check out this solution from Sandyeggo Designs: https://www.sandyeggodesigns.com/pro...-for-corvette/
I have both the left and right side mirrors. Outstanding. No blind spots.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetten76:
Rbohno (04-22-2023), SD_Dave (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
BluRace
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

i have the Sandyeggo "Panoramic Mirror" on Drivers side. I do not like it at all, wish i had never purchased it.
Yes, it gives a wider field of view,
however,
the outer portion is a different curvature, by design.
i realize others do not have a problem with this.
to me the image looks distorted.
even after 6 months i find it distracting and need to replace it soon.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:42 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BluRace
i have the Sandyeggo "Panoramic Mirror" on Drivers side. I do not like it at all, wish i had never purchased it.
Yes, it gives a wider field of view,
however,
the outer portion is a different curvature, by design.
i realize others do not have a problem with this.
to me the image looks distorted.
even after 6 months i find it distracting and need to replace it soon.
From their website:
"At a certain point outboard the amount of curvature is increased exponentially. This was done to capture as much of the surrounding view as possible. The trade-off is greater image distortion in this portion of the mirror."
The edge image distortion should not come as a surprise...
H Watkins (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:02 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
From their website:
"At a certain point outboard the amount of curvature is increased exponentially. This was done to capture as much of the surrounding view as possible. The trade-off is greater image distortion in this portion of the mirror."
The edge image distortion should not come as a surprise...
over half my sandyeggo mirror is distorted. its unusable. took it off after less than 5 hrs. ill try the real glass versions next
Old 04-19-2023, 03:23 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Too bad G M did not employ Honda engineers!!
My $23.000 Honda CR-V had a camera to show the left blind AREA when the turn signal was activated!
The best view ever!
Old 04-20-2023, 08:59 PM
Tx_94vette
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have no confidence in my door mounted mirrors, at any setting, added one of those round convex stick on mirrors. Worth every penny
Old 04-20-2023, 09:28 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,526 Likes on 869 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

I just keep the top down!

Get notified of new replies

To Blind spot detector

Old 04-21-2023, 09:07 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
I just keep the top down!
THat's my solution quite often in a parking lot with SUVs parked all around blocking vision.

Elmer
Old 04-21-2023, 10:01 AM
edspec
Pro

Received 487 Likes on 192 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Sandyeggo Designs https://www.sandyeggodesigns.com/pro...r-for-corvette/ sells a convex mirror set the sticks over both side mirrors. these plus correct adjustment of your mirrors should mittigate just all of your blind spot issues, it did mine. Thet stick over you mirrors with the included 3m tape and stick! get them on right the first time or else lol. Ive had them on for ova 3 years now and no problems
Old 04-21-2023, 11:45 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 579 Likes on 334 Posts

For those commenting about what GM should have done with this situation keep in mind how far back the development of the C7 was. Being introduced in 2014, the C7 design concept was probably being done as soon as the C6 rolled out. Manufacturers need to commit to a final design probably 12 months or so before first production starts. Cost factors also come into play as 11th hour feature additions sometimes require lots of rework. Adding new features during the production life cycle is also limited due to cost. Not saying GM couldn't have done better but we don't have a 6-figure exotic either in the Corvette... All this is just my humble opinion... YMMV

Quick Reply: Blind spot detector