Sponsored by:

Infotainment Hack

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Infotainment Hack

Has anyone heard about a hack pf the Infotainment system to change the map colors? I have a 2014 convertible and the gray/green display is unusable on a bright day or with the top down. I'd like it to be bright white like the Japanese cars.GM Infotainment is a drag on sales for GM. We are looking for a new car of a different type and we won't even consider GM because of how bad that system is. So many parts of the interface, like entering a new preset station, are so counterintuitive that people go to the dealers to get help programming. I guess the only way to try to influence behavior is to advise people to avoid GM because the technology sucks.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Was this a question or a statement ???

how hard is entering a preset station, all you do is hold the button and it will set as a preset ....I dont think GM is losing any sales over it lol

Now you want a system that is not user friendly, you should try to use the infotainment center in my AMG ......not initiative at all .....

Dave
Old 09-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Dave,So how does the display look when you have the roof off?We also own a two different makes of Japanese cars. With the sunroofs open the map displays are very readable.It looks like we don't agree. I'll do what small things I can to highlight the limitations of the system in a way that matters to GM.Perry
Old 09-30-2018, 05:39 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

I cant say I‘ve noticed that particular problem in my coupe w/ the top off.
You can always set the dash display to NAV, which shows upcoming turns, and it also appears in the HUD,

Now if for some reason (like the light sensor on the dash is covered or not working correctly) and the system goes to night mode, ya, I can see where the entire screen would be tough to see. Both my driveway and parking space at work are heavily shaded, so at power on, all systems switch to night mode until I get out in the sun.

It’ll sometimes switch when driving down a narrow tree lined road.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Perry , as AJ states above , I also dont have a problem with seeing the screen with the roof off and I dont have a problem programming the radio . Maybe is it possible that you dont have the brightness turned up?
Now I can see someone with a convertable maybe having an issue where the sun might wash out the screen but not in my coupe
Dave
Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

II haven't had any problems with viewing the screen in my 2015 top on or off or in my 2013 Buick Enclave with the sunroof closed or open
Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow68conv
So many parts of the interface, like entering a new preset station, are so counterintuitive that people go to the dealers to get help programming.
I agree... the UI for setting the presets is pretty crappy. I had to watch like 3 YouTube videos before I understood it and I'm the "tech guy" that normally setups up all my friends and family's A/V gear. I've installed car stereos as a hobby for years and was dumbfounded by GM approach to presets. Complete joke that having two rows blocks the information above it, really sloppy programming. Just about every audio system I've used in other vehicles is better then Chevy's MyLink, but I doubt its costing them much sales or service wise or it would have been fixed by now.

Can't comment on the map colors because I have a coupe with tinted windows and use my phone for nav 90% of the time.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

How are you guys making it so difficult to add a station preset? All you have to do is tune to the station and then press and hold the button you want to set. How can it be any easier?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:24 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

I find that when I wear polarized sun glasses my display is difficult to read but without them on using standard sunglasses the screen is acceptable.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
How are you guys making it so difficult to add a station preset? All you have to do is tune to the station and then press and hold the button you want to set. How can it be any easier?
I agree.......
Dave
Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 AM
JMII
Safety Car

By default the preset list isn't shown. You have to tap that little arrow to display it. Even then I couldn't get it work I had to use the Browse list, then click on a station and select add as favorite or something like that. Everyone just says "hold the button" (same thing in manual) but if preset list isn't up then there are no buttons. All the screenshots in the manual show a simplified version of the interface instead of a real picture which made things confusing. Also the touchscreen isn't responsive like an iPhone, dragging or sliding in particular only works about 50% of the time for me.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:25 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Me thinks the OP suffers from confirmation bias
Old 10-01-2018, 01:15 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

True dat, but I discovered there was a bit of a learning curve to get the favorites buttons to display via the "up arrow"... The "up arrow" touch sensitive area seemed rather tiny.
The following users liked this post:
JMII (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:31 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
I agree... the UI for setting the presets is pretty crappy. I had to watch like 3 YouTube videos before I understood it and I'm the "tech guy" that normally setups up all my friends and family's A/V gear.
I think your family needs a better tech guy. I figured out how to preset station and I didn't even have to watch any YouTube videos!

I've installed car stereos as a hobby for years and was dumbfounded by GM approach to presets.
Yes tapping and holding a button to set it is so 19th century I guess but lots of radios employed that technique.

Complete joke that having two rows blocks the information above it, really sloppy programming.
Mine has 1 row. You have 2 rows only if you've programmed two rows. I think you can even get 3! It's not that difficult to understand or to use 'cept the touch screen is a little wonkers.

Just about every audio system I've used in other vehicles is better then Chevy's MyLink, but I doubt its costing them much sales or service wise or it would have been fixed by now.

Can't comment on the map colors because I have a coupe with tinted windows and use my phone for nav 90% of the time.
As for colors - try AA and GM...
Old 10-01-2018, 02:35 PM
defaria
Safety Car

By default the preset list isn't shown. You have to tap that little arrow to display it. Even then I couldn't get it work
Really? What was your difficulty in doing this? I ask because it's an extremely simple thing to do - tap an arrow. Granted the capacitive or resistive (I forget which is which but one is easier to use than the other and the C7's screen is the worse kind) screen is a little difficult to get the tap right but not that difficult.

I had to use the Browse list, then click on a station and select add as favorite or something like that. Everyone just says "hold the button" (same thing in manual) but if preset list isn't up then there are no buttons. All the screenshots in the manual show a simplified version of the interface instead of a real picture which made things confusing. Also the touchscreen isn't responsive like an iPhone, dragging or sliding in particular only works about 50% of the time for me.
Oh, you're an iGuy... Makes sense.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Originally Posted by defaria
I figured out how to preset station and I didn't even have to watch any YouTube videos.
Impressive, your skills and knowledge exceed mine, you win

Originally Posted by defaria
Oh, you're an iGuy... Makes sense.
Yes I appreciate stuff that works. Due to my job I have to rent vehicles often and I stand my statement that Chevy's MyLink is subpar compared to other systems I have encountered.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Impressive, your skills and knowledge exceed mine, you win
What do I win?

P.S. Don't tell your family as I have left the "family tech support" arena years ago when I installed Linux at home. Now I just say "Not sure sis but it works on my Linux box...".

Yes I appreciate stuff that works. Due to my job I have to rent vehicles often and I stand my statement that Chevy's MyLink is subpar compared to other systems I have encountered.
Oh I grant you 100% that the MyLink system sucks *****. See any of my posts. It's really a PITA to use. AA and GM however is far superior to any system I've seen so far. Quite frankly the only time I use MyLink and the factory nav is when my phone's battery is completely dead.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:53 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

CarPlay is typically inferior to the stuff offered through the stock system. Maybe AA (Android Auto) is better, but for iPhone users CarPaly is mostly a "no go"
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Dave,

Thanks!

It's a convertible. We have two other cars with nav systems, a Nissan and Toyota, and the background on both is white. Both are SUV's with sunroofs so it isn't precisely an apples to apples comparison - but they are readable regardless of the outside lighting. Ditto a Garman I sometimes use in the C7 and my C3.

If Chevy had counter sunk the display in a recessed "tunnel", like Lexus does, instead of putting that little compartment behind the display that would fix it. Also, display color would seem to be something they could have made a software option. GM seems to have a case of the Microsoft Disease which is they think they know what the customer wants and needs better than the customer.

Besides using the Garmin when I need a top down nav system the only impact for me is to avoid GM products when we buy our next SUV.

The C7 is also an early production 2014 and they have probably fixed a number of annoyances.

Break Break

I figured out the radio but it took a while. Getting the push buttons off the map was simple matter of using a fixed number of tiles. I finally stumbled on saving the stations to the correct tile. I seldom change those presets so it requires a learning curve every time. The process is different than the other onboard nav systems I've encountered.

Perry

Get notified of new replies

To Infotainment Hack

Quick Reply: Infotainment Hack