Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow ! Sorry to see this. First Corvette. SMH
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Wow ! Sorry to see this. First Corvette. SMH
Just saw your location. I just moved from McDonough after 23yrs, to my hometown Colorado Springs. Biggest takeaway: humidity.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Question: is it normal to take so long? Not bitching, I just don't know.

So, after 60+ days, here's where my car is. I didn't expect it to take this long, but they had to replace the rear tub. I also didn't know that each panel is "By-Order" only (so, there's not a supply of them). Each panel and tub is ordered and it's placed in the que behind everyone else. The panels come in unpainted so the paint shop still needs to color match.
The shop has been awesome, taking pictures of along the way through each phase. I don't bother or pressure them. I let the shop update me.

The following users liked this post:
Slynky (12-03-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

WOW sorry to hear of your troubles here,

Why are they sanding your door and why is your window open ,Nothing is worse then the dust and smell of a body shop getting into the car, it never has the new car smell again and its impossible to get the dust and smell back out of the HVAC system . And I would say there is no way a repair should take that long , I know a little about the business and some shops make there real money on dissembling a car and then dancing with the insurance company over supplements and what they claim to be hidden damage. While negotiating with the insurance company they are able to charge them for the bay time

Good Luck there is probably more to this story then you know
ImpliedConsent (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Wow, hate to see that much dust getting into the interior. I assume they know what they're doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if you keep finding repair dust in every crevice and corner of the car for years.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose

Why are they sanding your door and why is your window open ,Nothing is worse then the dust and smell of a body shop getting into the car, it never has the new car smell again and its impossible to get the dust and smell back out of the HVAC system . And I would say there is no way a repair should take that long , I know a little about the business and some shops make there real money on dissembling a car and then dancing with the insurance company over supplements and what they claim to be hidden damage. While negotiating with the insurance company they are able to charge them for the bay time

Hmmm... not sure I understood correctly or not but I'm assuming the OP has waited so long--NOT because the repair shop is taking their time--because the panel(s) need to be painted at the factory and that the panels are put through the paint shop in order with other cars that are being assembled and painting. In other words, it's like ordering a new Corvette and waiting. But maybe I misunderstood.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:33 AM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

couple more

Last edited by akers4000; 12-04-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: pics didnt load
2019GSTX (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:43 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
I just got rear ended last night (slow, no injuries) by a friend who wasn't paying attention. We both have USAA and we both opened a new claim. I'm not sure how to handle that part yet, but I have Corvette questions: what kind of stuff is back there? what do I need to look out for? who do I look for to repair (send it to dealer and let them, or other)? Can I sue for depreciation (who's gonna buy it now?!)? This totally sucks.

So disappointed.
Safe to say everyone reading this thread feels your pain.
If the insurance company doesn't come through on diminished value, run it by your friend who did the damage. If nothing else, you'll find out how good of a friend he is.
Just a thought.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:14 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,773 Likes on 3,184 Posts

Shops always leave windows down. No matter where. Never fails. EVER...

car didnt take that hit very well shame.. went through this with kid's 5mo jetta. Took about 80 days....80.... most in their loaner thank god.
ImpliedConsent (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 629 Likes on 329 Posts

As always when a vehicle with automatic transmission gets hit when it is in park there is a chance some damage to the parking pawl mechanism could occur. This is the pawl that locks into a gear attached to the output shaft to prevent the car from rolling when in park.

The following 2 users liked this post by gmarcucio:
Ih2lose (12-04-2018), ImpliedConsent (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

I promise y'all, I have no idea what body shops do. Magic is my answer. I could probably tear down/up that LT1 motor in an 8hr day, but the body? Nope, no clue. Y'all have giving me some things to ask the body shop about. They still have parts on order with an ETA of 2 more weeks just for those parts. I'm thinking early-mid Jan. I'm pretty sure they take care of it, this is what they do when not working on it.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

I feel your pain my man....my C5 got hit by a teenager from behind and pushed it into the truck in front of it. Both cross beams front and back, foam and bumper covers were replaced..3 month old car....the waiting was terrible. Make sure they put that bad boy on the frame machine and check all the dimension points. I got a print out of mine just so I could see that all relevant points were within spec. Also argued with the offenders insurance company until they paid out diminished vale. If I recall it was about 3k...
if I walked in and saw my C7 looking like urs they would have to put me in a padded room! As for your friend, that’s between you guys but I hope he feels ur pain as well.
I hope ur repair goes well, they get it done sooner rather than later and it all comes out to ur liking.
‘Hopefully their warranty for the repair is as long as you own the car.
‘Take care!
ImpliedConsent (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

I am sorry to say that looks like a shop that store cars often, I don't want to spook you but how many supplements have they had already, I may be way off course but this is text book, Get a high dollar car in shop , they can ask for allot of supplements prior to coming close to total value, Why are they painting door, do you have better picture of the damage then the picture you already posted early Jan is not a reasonable time to be with out the car. Thats 3 car payments (if you have them) and 3 insurance payments.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 PM
ryshla3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been appraising damaged cars for 22 years so I'll tell you why the "window" is down. In reality when we allow to blend a door panel (or refinish it) it's typical to allow for labor in the estimate to R&I the glass, (remove and reinstall), just like the same way that the mirror base has been R&I'd on this door as well. Shops will ask for all the labor involved to get every penny out of an insurance company (whole other issue without the proper time to discuss LOL!!!). Any decent shop will fully de-trim a panel rather than tape off prior to refinishing an existing panel being blended. I bet 50/50 the glass is out as it is an included operation the in labor allotment to take the trim panel off. The trim panel comes off to gain access to the mirror and outer handle (on most cars). Oh and btw, have you ever tried to open a car door 10 times while working on it in a shop or to move the car around, all the while the entire outer handle is off the door, relying on just your fingers to try and pull the lever inside the door linkage? Yeah, thats why the glass and trim panel are always removed. Now if your car is being repaired in a cave (crappy shop) that leaves the glass in, well, the dust is the least of your concerns! LMAO
The following 2 users liked this post by ryshla3:
ImpliedConsent (12-09-2018), KCV (12-06-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

SO as an adjuster do you think its reasonable for a shop to have his car that long, and do they really need to blend a factory painted car with no metallics in it .
ImpliedConsent (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 PM
ryshla3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SO as an adjuster do you think its reasonable for a shop to have his car that long, and do they really need to blend a factory painted car with no metallics in it .
Only the OP knows if the shop started it right away, or can ask the shop what the apparent time delays are for. Could be a parts problem too, and I'm sure there is a lot of labor involved and I'd want it done right, not rushed through. Every shop blends, period. Well at least on 99% of adjacent panels, regardless of metallic paint or not. Man, you have no idea how many variances the factory stipulates on each paint code. Some shops use traditional urethane based paints, some use water based base coats. There are learning curves to each system. A shop almost always blends an adjacent panel to "trick" the owner's eyes when they come to take delivery of the completed car. Surprised they are not spraying into the lid as well. Maybe the painter is confident he can loose the color within the quarter at the horizontal plane, possibly.

Last edited by ryshla3; 12-09-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Slynky (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ryshla3
Only the OP knows if the shop started it right away, or can ask the shop what the apparent time delays are for. Could be a parts problem too, and I'm sure there is a lot of labor involved and I'd want it done right, not rushed through.
I'm pretty sure the shop started it fairly quick. Within a week they knew all the exterior pieces and about 3 weeks for all the interior pieces. It was explained that each piece on the Corvette is "by-order" only. There are no stock of parts/pieces (except interior trim pieces). Each piece is made to order and "replacement" pieces are placed in the back of the que. The exterior panels come unpainted. The interior pieces, there's a bunch, especially when replacing the tub.

In order for them to blend it, they have to remove all the PPF and ceramic coating (which explains the sanding). I too was wondering why the windows were down and they explained that is standard procedure. I have no doubt they are doing a great job. I just didn't expect it to be so long (73days now).

BTW, I didn't take USAA up on their offer to rent a vehicle. They had one lined up, a yellow Z06, at a retail rental rate of $250.00. They have contract rates at half that... but dang. $250./day. I have my DD and didn't need the hassle.
ryshla3 (12-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Rear-Ended ... what to look for?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by gmarcucio
As always when a vehicle with automatic transmission gets hit when it is in park there is a chance some damage to the parking pawl mechanism could occur. This is the pawl that locks into a gear attached to the output shaft to prevent the car from rolling when in park.

Holy crap, ya gotta love this guy !
Old 12-29-2018, 03:14 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Back at home snug as a bug. 91days. One thing I've learned in the past, never rush service or repairs. This experience was no different with a caveat: the collision shop gave me weekly updates, often with pictures, of the progress. All concerns answered. They should be very proud of the good work and customer service.

Maxie2U (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Back at home snug as a bug. 91days. One thing I've learned in the past, never rush service or repairs. This experience was no different with a caveat: the collision shop gave me weekly updates, often with pictures, of the progress. All concerns answered. They should be very proud of the good work and customer service.

Glad you have your Vette back do you have pics of the completed repair. I assume everything matched up color wise if you dont mind what was the final cost

Quick Reply: Rear-Ended ... what to look for?