Sponsored by:

GM customer service at its worst

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:02 PM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default GM customer service at its worst

Some of you may have been following my continuing issues with my brand new Z06 and it’s bumper paint issues followed by 2 really bad repair attempts by Kerbeck Corvette which made the situation worse. Attached is GM’s customer service rep telling me they will not honor the warranty nor remedy the poor quality ( I would almost call it vandalism) by Kerbeck. If you listen to the the video you can hear such gems by GM
Corvettes are made in many factories
the paint peeled off because I washed the car
the TSB detailing the issue is irrelevant

I assure you after you listen to this back and forth you will be just as angry as me. Please share with everyone you know

Popular Reply

08-22-2018, 10:41 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

OK, that's why I didn't know about your issue. Rest assured we are committed to making you 100% satisfied.

I've reached out to the regional service manager and explained to him your situation. He assured me that he will reach out to you today and will rectify this situation to your satisfaction.

If you don't hear from him today, please let me know.

Dave

Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

It is absolutely irresponsible on the part of GM and Kerbeck to allowc this in the first place.

That said, did you not fully inspect the car before buying it? It does not relieve them of their responsibility to deliver a quality product but had yoo inspected tge car you would not be dealing the problem.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 PM
swaite
Racer

Paint peeling started at 100 miles, it’s because the panels are set too close together and it rubs the paint off.

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
It is absolutely irresponsible on the part of GM and Kerbeck to allowc this in the first place.

That said, did you not fully inspect the car before buying it? It does not relieve them of their responsibility to deliver a quality product but had yoo inspected tge car you would not be dealing the problem.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I applaud your patience... certainly a frustrating ordeal. Hopefully you’ll get it resolved quickly to your satisfaction.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:59 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

You were dealing with a mental midget. Escalate to Mary Berra, CEO's office. The competency level will improve from the third grade proficiency to the fifth grade - an improvement nonetheless. Don't waste time on the phone. Send a certified letter and or FedEx to let them know that you are a documenting, serious SOB. I would also send to 3-4 Board members. That will get you cooking with gas! Board members hate dealing with their Exec's problems.

You have WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more patience than I do. I commend you.

Moral of story - You can't fix stupid.

Last edited by TSLAVette; 08-21-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 PM
swaite
Racer

I assure you my patience has hit its limits

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
You were dealing with a mental midget. Escalate to Mary Berry, CEO's office. The competency level will improve from the third grade proficiency to the fifth grade - an improvement nonetheless. Don't waste time on the phone. Send a certified letter and or FedEx to let them know that you are a documenting, serious SOB.

You have WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more patience than I do. I commend you.

You can't fix stupid.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by swaite
I assure you my patience has hit its limits

Yeah, sorry that happened. I've been blessed, I suppose with a good one. Full employment has its disadvantages. 'Customer care' is a misnomer. I edited my post above with the Board piece. I guarantee, 20-30 min hunting addresses followed by a professional, calm letter, pics, a link to the call above will get things moving for you. Crappy use of time for a 'fun car' but indicated. Keep us posted, my brother. If we can help, we will.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I had a similar experience with GM 10 years ago and didn't take NO for an answer. Got them to cave in the end

Long story short - I followed the Owner's Manual directions, took out the BCM in the process and finally got them to reimburse me but I had to escalate the issue big time (and over a period of months)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-failure.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...continues.html
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 PM
In-n-Out
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

Took 10 months for GM to honor a paint (the nose issue) warranty. One dealership stated that they would not honor it. The other stated that they weren’t a corvette dealership but a Chevy dealership. I had to open a case up w/ Chevy and then proceeded to educate the case worker!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:24 PM
swaite
Racer

GM likes to add insult to injury, I got this from them at 10pm tonight. I really think I’m being punked🤬

Last edited by swaite; 08-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 PM
Cadigti
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 141 Posts

My heart goes out to you. I want to buy my first Corvette during the 2019 MY and this old school GM crap boils my blood. I was a quality assurance manager up through 2001 for a major OEM tire supplier to GM. I spent a lot of time in GM North American facilities and plants, but not BG since they were on Goodyear exclusively. I witnessed a lot of nonsense, bureaucracy, and never ending ongoing engineering issues with GM including with my 3 brand new company cars (all Bonneville SSE's). My dad who's 1st car was a '57 Chevy and die hard GM guy gave up on GM after his '84 Eldorado (and has since owned several new Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus). When I was in college I had the joy of taking that Eldo back to his Cadillac dealer for constant repainting / peeling paint, head gaskets, lifters, and even a cam shaft in just 35k miles when he dumped it for a brand new BMW and he vowed never to own a domestic branded car again (he did own a 69 Vert 350/350 4 speed).
I did stop at Kerbeck over the 4th of July Holiday. I told the salesman I spoke with that I was concerned about this paint issue. The explanation he gave me made sense. I am not a paint expert at all, but was involved with GM paint repair oven studies relative to tire flat spotting (a big issue with GM in the 90's especially on their luxury cars). The Kerbeck salesman said GM thinks they had traced the Corvette bumper paint failures to poor mold release agent cleansing from the bumpers prior to painting. It does make sense as the photos I see are flaking paint more than chipping paint. Flaking paint I would think be an adhesion issue, chipping a rubbing issue.
Since moving to Arlington Virginia 15 years ago from Detroit, my business has me driving 35k-50k miles annually, I have owned 3 Acura's. Besides they have been great cars, the servicing dealer is outstanding and keeps me "in the brand" more than the car itself. I keep the Acura's for well over 100k miles. And Honda/Acura have been covering peeling paint for Hondas/Acuras up to 7 years just as goodwill as they knew it was an issue with some models. Shame on GM for not even under the 3/36 warranty.
Have you tried to contact Charlie Kerbeck the owner? On those videos he makes he preaches "serving the customer" I would think as the #1 Corvette seller HE would have a vested interest and the ear of the right people at GM. At the least I would demand from Kerbeck a meeting with the factory Zone Manager preferably with Charlie Kerbeck present.
Sorry for the long winded response, but this brings back painful memories of the few times I really vented to the powers to be at GM at just how horrific their internal dysfunction could be for their suppliers and customers and how agonizing as a car guy it was for me to witness and experience it.
I will still buy that new Vette, but most likely from Criswell. From what I read on this forum they do stand behind their customers.
Good luck and I am really, really sorry you have to experience this absolute shameful customer service.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I am so sorry this is happening to you... It's definitely not right. It's situations like this that really made me question whether or not I wanted to buy a Vette or something else, after reading about so many issues. In the end, I did buy a GS and I hope to have many happy years with it.

I do have some dirt nibs under the paint in 2 spots I've noticed so far. Very minor, someone else may not even notice them. Nothing like you are encountering...

I really hope GM or the dealer makes it right for you!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Shaunderice ... enough said. Classic!

Certified letters to exevs and Board. Don’t battle wits with the witless!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

marybarra@gm.com

^^^^^^ that address is incorrect. almost like there's a block on it. there's a "." in between mary - barra.. so it's mary.barra@ gm.com

solved all my issues. took time but mine was due to parts being unavailable to fix my paint defects.

OP. stop all contacts with everyone from Chevy or dealer..

write a descriptive email with pics and as much info as possible about the runaround you got. and ridiculous answers so far.

Mary owns a Z06 herself and is awesome. trust me on this. search my posts if you like. you'll see i've been down this road and met numerous GM contacts.. in the end. everyone started running around like chickens without heads when Mary became involved.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 08-22-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 AM
swaite
Racer

I sent her an email, hoping it helps

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
marybarra@gm.com

^^^^^^ that address is incorrect. almost like there's a block on it. there's a "." in between mary - barra.. so it's mary.barra@ gm.com

solved all my issues. took time but mine was due to parts being unavailable to fix my paint defects.

OP. stop all contacts with everyone from Chevy or dealer..

write a descriptive email with pics and as much info as possible about the runaround you got. and ridiculous answers so far.

Mary owns a Z06 herself and is awesome. trust me on this. search my posts if you like. you'll see i've been down this road and met numerous GM contacts.. in the end. everyone started running around like chickens without heads when Mary became involved.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

It's too bad that Kerbeck didn't solve this disaster.

Hope GM's CEO will.

​​​​​​​I would be tempted to picket the Chevrolet dealership you bought it from.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get notified of new replies

To GM customer service at its worst

Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

This is the same lady that called me after I wrote to Ms. Barra about my rear axle noise. She is completely out of touch with reality and is clearly just telling you what she is told to say. I totally agree with you that GM is not customer friendly and has lost me as a future customer. Your issue is another example of poor quality control at the assembly point, incompetence at the dealer to correct the problem and a lack of support from the manufacturer. I feel your pain.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 AM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Kerbeck many rave over their huge inventory and sale prices. Apparently that is where it ends, forget customer service.
Yes, this. People rave about their great sales experience and prices, but that's not where the customer relationship should end. This isn't the first time I've heard of poor customer service at Kerbeck.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by gbranham
Yes, this. People rave about their great sales experience and prices, but that's not where the customer relationship should end. This isn't the first time I've heard of poor customer service at Kerbeck.
Actually, this is the first that I've heard about this problem. The OP hasn't reached out to me and his sales rep never mentioned the problem, but I'll see what I can find out. Who was your sales person so I can find your info?

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

The following 2 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
jimtreber (08-22-2018), Rebel Yell (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: GM customer service at its worst