Sponsored by:

My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It is odd that it didn't give you the "no remote detected, press brake to restart" message. You should get this when shutting off the ignition and the RKE fob doesn't respond. I have gotten this in my ATS a couple of times when I have moved it to change from summer to winter tires and set the fob away from the car before shutting it down.

My 2018 Sierra Denali still uses a key which I find annoying since I am used to both cars with keyless ignition. I often remote start its diesel engine when approaching the truck and I have to train myself not to put the fob back in my pocket since I will need it in a few seconds when I enter the truck to turn on the ignition switch.

AND while I am in rant mode: it would be nice if they had put a little padded place on the steering column of the pickup so I don't get to listen to the fob tapping it all of the time; I know this is a classic first world problem. But it fits with the noisy passenger seatbelt in most vehicles that rattles against the seat or pillar when there is no passenger.

Last edited by NSC5; 06-26-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:20 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i think the key fobs are excellent. push button start is also excellent. locked my keys inside a vehicle once. only needed one time to make sure i never do that again. hide a key solves that problem. i also do not like key rings with 10 keys on them, or fat wallets for that matter, and have 5 vehicles with fobs. the vehicle's fob that i am going to be using goes in my pocket and stays there . auto lock/ unlock, panic button why would anyone not like those features? the OP just had a brain fart....like most everyone else at one time
Old 06-26-2018, 03:25 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
i think the key fobs are excellent. push button start is also excellent. locked my keys inside a vehicle once. only needed one time to make sure i never do that again. hide a key solves that problem. i also do not like key rings with 10 keys on them, or fat wallets for that matter, and have 5 vehicles with fobs. the vehicle's fob that i am going to be using goes in my pocket and stays there . auto lock/ unlock, panic button why would anyone not like those features? the OP just had a brain fart....like most everyone else at one time
What's wrong with fat wallets?

Yes, I had a brainfart could happen to anybody though especially changing vehicles and stuff. I programmed the auto unlock and lock feature at lunch and it's cool but I still have some questions before I trust it totally. Like how close do you have to be to the vehicle for it to unlock? The reason I ask is that I my office is probably less than 10 to 12 feet from my car. Will it unlock in my office? Where some bum could steal my stuff?

Last edited by gixxerbill; 06-26-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill

Yes, I had a brainfart could happen to anybody though especially changing vehicles and stuff. I programmed the auto unlock and lock feature at lunch and it's cool but I still have some questions before I trust it totally. Like how close do you have to be to the vehicle for it to unlock? The reason I ask is that I my office is probably less than 10 to 12 feet from my car. Will it unlock in my office? Where some bum could steal my stuff?
My spare key is kept about 6-8 feet from the nose of my car when parked. In that instance, I cannot open the door if its locked and I don't have the fob in hand.'

The fob buttons will absolutely work from that distance for lock/unlock/trunk, but not the automatic proximity check for the "door open from locked state".

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-26-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:39 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kent1999
My spare key is kept about 6-8 feet from the nose of my car when parked. In that instance, I cannot open the door if its locked and I don't have the fob in hand.'

The fob buttons will absolutely work from that distance for lock/unlock/trunk, but not the automatic proximity check for the "door open from locked state".
thats cutting it pretty close I better not get too close to the wall of my office. thanks for the info
Old 06-26-2018, 03:48 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

thats cutting it pretty close I better not get too close to the wall of my office. thanks for the info
Ok, try this test -- stand with your arms outstretched, right hand near the (locked) door button, and the left hand holding the fob as far away from the car as you can. Now try to press the button on the door to open it. Your car will NOT allow you to open the door. Is your car door closer than that when you are in your office?

On my car, the magic distance seems to be about 3-4 feet.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

sounds like a great idea Jim...now so where exactly do you hide the spare key? And please tell me you have a z06 since i already have a stingray
"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

You knew that was coming...

Old 06-26-2018, 04:01 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Good question. You have to be about within 3 ft. Give it a try by trial and error.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

You knew that was coming...
I was really hoping I had the key location and your address coming instead. I'd take a new vette over death anyday.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:29 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Ok, try this test -- stand with your arms outstretched, right hand near the (locked) door button, and the left hand holding the fob as far away from the car as you can. Now try to press the button on the door to open it. Your car will NOT allow you to open the door. Is your car door closer than that when you are in your office?

On my car, the magic distance seems to be about 3-4 feet.
oh 3 or 4 is fine.thanks. I do like this feature which I would have known about it 3 years ago. i know i know I should have read the manual
Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Dcregar
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
I get into a car that unlocks itself and push a button to start it w/ no need to pull anything out of my pocket, line up a key and turn till cranked. Is it a major time-saver I couldn't live without? No, but still a nicety that I appreciate and enjoy having on my vehicles. I love the technology bells and whistles.

Either way...this solidly falls into the category of first world problems.
Tough to live in a first world country having problems like key fobs.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:25 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Yep, I like putting the fob in my pocket and never having to worry about getting in or out all day. I have a friend with a C7 who would always unlock his car remotely with the fob because he didn't realize it could do it automatically until I told him. He was amazed how easy and convenient it was.

Last edited by FunDriver; 06-26-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:28 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

They're FAT, bulge and are a PITA to sit on! I'm completely lightweight now a days. I don't even carry my wallet. What for? I leave it in the car. Don't use cash much anymore 'cept when those old foggies require cash. Even pay for most of my stuff using my phone now a days. Have loyalty cards in there, credit/debit cards/etc. I carry one actual credit card for things like bars and food places which don't take your phone to swipe it. Honestly a fat wallet with tons of credit cards, receipts, loyalty cards, DL's, Insurance card, Health insurance card, Block Buster card to me reminds me of those rare people that other grumble about when they whip out a checkbook to at the grocery line! Haven't used a check in over 30 years too. My butt thanks me everyday that I don't have a fat wallet. And when I have my wallet it's still skinny. If you think you look important by having a fat wallet.... think again.

Yes, I had a brainfart could happen to anybody though especially changing vehicles and stuff.
Again the question is how did you start your car if your fob was far away?

I programmed the auto unlock and lock feature at lunch and it's cool but I still have some questions before I trust it totally. Like how close do you have to be to the vehicle for it to unlock? The reason I ask is that I my office is probably less than 10 to 12 feet from my car. Will it unlock in my office? Where some bum could steal my stuff?
Over time you learn to trust any new technology. The fob uses two different radio waves - shortwave for popping the trunk, which goes a long distance (like about 300 feet) and longwave which goes only a couple of feet, which is for opening the door and starting the car.

I still have times when I'm standing right next to the door and it won't open because something in my pocket (like my phone) is semi-shielding the fob from the receiver.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Ford John
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife's Ford works with her Smart Phone and No FOB. Very convenient. when she forgets FOB or FOB Battery should die.
We may option to start the car from anyplace, Check Gas level and set controls, Unlock/Lock doors.....

Last edited by Ford John; 06-26-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ford John
My wife's Ford works with her Smart Phone and No FOB. Very convenient. when she forgets FOB or FOB Battery should die.
That's cool tech. And it is all good until you get used to not carrying a fob and just using your phone... and then one day your phone unexpectedly runs out of battery for the day and you now have no phone *and* no car. (my phone runs low on battery every day if I use it heavily... my fob battery lasts a few years even with heavy daily use, and even if the fob battery unexpectedly dies, I can still use that 'dead' fob to get into the car and drive off with the fob in the steering column slot)

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like my phone to be used as a fob occasionally. Just that there is no perfect, foolproof system.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by cuspid
I keep a spare fob in a faraday bag in the trunk and carry a Camaro key on my key ring that fits the trunk hatch
Those faraday bags are a Godsend. My wife and I travel together, and inevitably her FOB "controls" which means The seat goes up and crunches me into the steering wheel. Now we have a single faraday bag and the non-driver uses it for his/her fob. Problem solved. Ribs less bruised.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Ford John
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's cool tech. And it is all good until you get used to not carrying a fob and just using your phone... and then one day your phone unexpectedly runs out of battery for the day and you now have no phone *and* no car. (my phone runs low on battery every day if I use it heavily... my fob battery lasts a few years even with heavy daily use, and even if the fob battery unexpectedly dies, I can still use that 'dead' fob to get into the car and drive off with the fob in the steering column slot)

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like my phone to be used as a fob occasionally. Just that there is no perfect, foolproof system.
If her Cell Phone Battery is Dead, she can enter her PIN on door Keypad, Unlock Doors, Plug Phone in and go!! Would be Nice features to have in Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,360 Likes on 903 Posts

i didnt say I didn't love keyless entry my truck has that. I just don't like that the key doesn't go in the ignition. I don't see the point?
You could certainly start putting the key fob in the dummy ignition holder on the stearing column, if that would assist you.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I love the fob!

I love it so much that I never have to deal with keys of any sort. After I bought my first Corvette (2005), I liked not handling keys so much that I put a touch-pad on the house, the garage, and my studio(so no door keys to deal with.

The only time I have to touch a fob during my day is when I change purses.

It's super simple if you just educate yourselves. No more likely to lock you out than a straight key, or a key and fob system, IMO.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

I’m old enough to remember when you got into a car and pushed either a peddle on the floor or a button on the dash to start some cars.
so what’s new ,
oh yes the battery device in your pocket that can F up and does .
older cars have a Lever of some sort that works just about every time to open the door.
‘No taking it a part every year or so to clean it
c6/c7 have a paddle to open the door , it does not open on its own, yet
I don’t see the benefit of the fob except for mmmmmmmm! mmmmm cost more to replace than a key.

Now days when all else fails what do you do , get the key out and open the trunk, to open that car door now that’s progress.

Quick Reply: My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs