Sponsored by:

"The plain-Jane C7...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It is what it is.

Last edited by Southeast Beast; 04-23-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,828 Likes on 5,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Southeast Beast
well you purchased a vette too.
I also purchased a c7 thinking it was the pinnacle of American sports cars,seems I never get it right 😔
The purchase of my GS Vert wasn't a bad decision, just the opposite, as I'm thrilled with it.

And the C7 is the pinnacle of American sportscar, the problem is you are comparing the base 455HP C7 sportscar against a 650HP muscle car, two totally different animals.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

If this is anyone's idea of plain, I'll gladly take plain all day. 3LT M7 Z51:
Attached Images  

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 04-23-2018 at 08:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ssidekickbp:
patentcad (04-23-2018), robertf97 (05-14-2018), z edge (05-11-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
The purchase of my GS Vert wasn't a bad decision, just the opposite, as I'm thrilled with it.

And the C7 is the pinnacle of American sportscar, the problem is you are comparing the base 455HP C7 sportscar against a 650HP muscle car, two totally different animals.
Yeah, if the guy wanted 600 HP, all he had to do was look up how much HP the base corvette has.

I'm a fan of mustangs, I'm coming from a GT myself, and outside of HP, I'm not sure where the mustang, even the top end ones, are far outshining the corvette as this guy is claiming. Obviously the high end mustangs with 650HP are faster in a straight line, and that's about the only place they clearly outperform the vette.

In my opinion, both cars have decent interiors, while the vette has much better handling and looks more aggressive than the mustang (obviously the looks thing is opinion, but I'd wager that if you're driving down the street, the average vette gets more looks than the average mustang). Then you have the Z06, and at that point I'd really be curious as to what even the top end mustang has on corvettes. And if you go to reliability issues, as a mustang fan I'm fully aware of some issues the coyote has had (google bar-b-q tick).

I love both cars, but I'm not sure how anyone could be so disappointed going from a mustang to a corvette, unless you're a dedicated drag racer going from a 650 hp car to a 460 hp car. But if you are, then just trade the vette in?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:52 AM
B Chas
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Here's the problem with modern sports cars: this type of car has always been a dick measuring contest, now more than ever. But as cars have gotten more and more powerful in one critical sense they can become less fun to drive. Part of enjoying a sports car is flogging it for performance as you bang through the gears. I can barely open up my C7 on my local roads, and I live in a relatively sports car friendly place. Another 200 horsepower? Maybe if I lived in Arizona. Here, I can't see it. You'd almost never get the revs over 4K. It's hard to do it in my stock Z-51 Stingray.

I think that my car hits the sweet spot, but often enough even my plain-Jane Stingray is over-powered for the roads I drive it on.
With all due respect, here in Ft. Lauderdale, my experience is I get lots out of the power, not as much out of the handling. The power is fun, and my base auto trans gives a little rear wiggle or drift, but it's predictable and easily controlled, powerful and fun, part of what I love about the car. No I can't open it up, but my favorite part of the experience is the exceleration. Perhaps it's where I live, when I pass a BMW etc, often I get a challenge, when I was younger I would enjoy a little test, these days, I'm just enjoying the performance, nothing to prove, no member measurement here.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
B Chas
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

If plain Jane is a 1 LT, since I went for a 2LT, I can't comment.

If plane Jane is the base model, I agree it's the best corvette for me. I like the smooth ride, as all my driving is a daily driver, mostly around town. I was going to get a Z-51, then a GS. After a few test drives, the base was for me, softer ride, still has the power I love. Doesn't handle as well as the Z-51 or GS, but here in Ft. Lauderdale I had to push it hard around 90% turns to use the extra handling. For me, I'll trade the less handling for a more comfortable ride.

Perhaps if I live in the mountains it would be different.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
I guess you didn't notice the post was about 1lt cars 😁
Old 04-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Originally Posted by B Chas
If plain Jane is a 1 LT, since I went for a 2LT, I can't comment.

If plane Jane is the base model, I agree it's the best corvette for me. I like the smooth ride, as all my driving is a daily driver, mostly around town. I was going to get a Z-51, then a GS. After a few test drives, the base was for me, softer ride, still has the power I love. Doesn't handle as well as the Z-51 or GS, but here in Ft. Lauderdale I had to push it hard around 90% turns to use the extra handling. For me, I'll trade the less handling for a more comfortable ride.

Perhaps if I live in the mountains it would be different.
Absolutely,if it works for you,then there's nothing wrong with it at all.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

If plain Jane is a 1 LT, since I went for a 2LT, I can't comment....If plane Jane is the base model, I agree it's the best corvette for me.
That was my question...if the quote from the article was referring to the Base/Stingray/Z51 car(s) being plain-jane compared to the GS/Z06/ZR1 models....or was it referring to the 1LT trim level compared to the 2LT/3LT trim levels across all the different models as being the plain-jane.

As far as I’m concerned, my Little Blue Vette is the best car I’ve ever had and plain though it may be, I love it.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:18 PM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Here's the problem with modern sports cars: this type of car has always been a dick measuring contest, now more than ever. But as cars have gotten more and more powerful in one critical sense they can become less fun to drive. Part of enjoying a sports car is flogging it for performance as you bang through the gears. I can barely open up my C7 on my local roads, and I live in a relatively sports car friendly place. Another 200 horsepower? Maybe if I lived in Arizona. Here, I can't see it. You'd almost never get the revs over 4K. It's hard to do it in my stock Z-51 Stingray.

I think that my car hits the sweet spot, but often enough even my plain-Jane Stingray is over-powered for the roads I drive it on.
I sold my C7 Z51 after driving it for a couple of years. It was great the three times I took it to COTA, and I agree it's almost too much car for the street. It could have used a brake upgrade (2 piece rotors?) to go with the track pads, and the oil cooler was pathetic. That is a very short list for a street car to need for serious track flogging.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Yeah, if the guy wanted 600 HP, all he had to do was look up how much HP the base corvette has.

I'm a fan of mustangs, I'm coming from a GT myself, and outside of HP, I'm not sure where the mustang, even the top end ones, are far outshining the corvette as this guy is claiming. Obviously the high end mustangs with 650HP are faster in a straight line, and that's about the only place they clearly outperform the vette.

In my opinion, both cars have decent interiors, while the vette has much better handling and looks more aggressive than the mustang (obviously the looks thing is opinion, but I'd wager that if you're driving down the street, the average vette gets more looks than the average mustang). Then you have the Z06, and at that point I'd really be curious as to what even the top end mustang has on corvettes. And if you go to reliability issues, as a mustang fan I'm fully aware of some issues the coyote has had (google bar-b-q tick).

I love both cars, but I'm not sure how anyone could be so disappointed going from a mustang to a corvette, unless you're a dedicated drag racer going from a 650 hp car to a 460 hp car. But if you are, then just trade the vette in?
I have had 7 coyote powered vehicles & absolutely zero issues with any of the engines ever(Beat the snot out of them the day I bought them) or any of the 3 equipted with an auto trans.The only real issue I ever had was with the 4 equipted with the mt82 manual transmission.That thing is an absolute turd & doesn't even come close to either of the manuals I had in my 12 camaro ss/rs or the one in my c7.
I love this car,but am a little discouraged with how fragile it is(engine,torque tube,driveshaft,axles & differential)
Granted I haven't yet broken it in & hope to find a little more satisfaction from it once I do,but I just didn't expect to have to beef up basically everything to make it capable of reliably handling just 200-300 xtra hp.
But I will do what ever has to be done & I'm sure it will one day give me back that feeling I had when I was in a fast ford.
I tried reaching out to those with good deals on superchargers on here & seems they have more important things to do other than sell the items they had posted for sale on here,so I'll just work on one of my other vehicles while I wait for the weather to cooperate & I can break this vette in.
Heck you can take a coyote & raise Cain in it off the showroom floor,but not this thing,have to break the poor thing in & can't even use rev match for the 1st 1,000 miles.This is just sad & tells me that they could careless about the vette buyer as long as people buy them they'll just keep producing them.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:21 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

I had A so called plain jane 2014 1LT.Purchased it Before I heard about the Z06 in 2015.
Since then added some goodies.Over $15,000 worth.700 h.p.It’s not quite A plain jane anymore.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,243 Likes on 3,474 Posts

For some of us, it would be appreciated if there were a "plainer" Jane model still. I realize I'm showing my age, perhaps, but I just don't need (nor really want) half the stuff on my base car. Just as some adore all the bells & whistles, I would be happier without.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Plain Jane C7 is a classic oximoron!!
Like jumbo shrimp.
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Southeast Beast
I guess you didn't notice the post was about 1lt cars 😁
The original post did not say anything about 1LT-Just mentioned plain Jane C7 in reference to a Road and Track article.
ExRedRacer (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Originally Posted by thrilled
I had A so called plain jane 2014 1LT.Purchased it Before I heard about the Z06 in 2015.
Since then added some goodies.Over $15,000 worth.700 h.p.It’s not quite A plain jane anymore.
That's what I'm talking about,sounds like a sweet ride.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

My Arctic White Stingray's only option was the A8. Since then I have added lots of goodies to make it mine. How's this for a Pain Jane?

Get notified of new replies

To "The plain-Jane C7...

Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

With all due respect,
This usually precedes a massive whack upside the head.
beaversstonehaven (05-10-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
My Arctic White Stingray's only option was the A8. Since then I have added lots of goodies to make it mine. How's this for a Pain Jane?

A tasteful modification to Corvette esthetics like you have accomplished above is more the exception than the rule. Well done.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
The cars are beautiful. My 2LT M7 Z51 @ the beach.

Quick Reply: "The plain-Jane C7...