Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$84,650 good price on a 2017 Z06 3LZ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:39 AM
Sokha
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $84,650 good price on a 2017 Z06 3LZ?

In the market to buy a new zo6 '17. I have an offer of $84,650, it has the 3lz, carbon fiber roof and automatic trans. This is my first vette purchase and I really don't know if this is a good deal. Any feed back is much appreciated!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:14 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Close, but no cheroot. 109 list, 83990 last month (but, more cash from GM last month) 3lz, PERFORMANCE Seats +$2k, Z07 package +8k, AT, purchased by my brother new 3mi on the clock on 3/16.

remember, when the 18's came out in November, GM cut the price of the 17 Z06's by 20% with no dealer cash required in the pot.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/11/...te-z06-models/

so, any 17 z06 out there should, at a minimum, be 20% off. You can't put the genie back in the bottle and raise the '17 discount on z06's below 20% now.

Lastly, the bestest info on buying last years models that I have ever seen from a dealer: Don't buy anything you aren't in love with!

Last edited by SilverGhost; 04-15-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:23 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,824 Likes on 5,638 Posts

I'd want to be more in the neighborhood of $76,000>$78,000 on a '17 Z06 that was close to the color combo and equipped as I preferred.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,777 Likes on 3,185 Posts

best way to do it for value is to price out an 18 and a 19 optioned same way or close in MSRP and negotiate best deal you can then go back and visit the 17 price.. then tack on where you'll be in a year or two and make you're ok with the trade in or resale of a multiple year old C7. any new vette is getting its *** kicked off the lot. but you are almost a year behind already.

if you could get an 18 or a 19 less than 5-7k more than you're looking at now and can financially swing it? it's a wash and you have a newer car with even more upgraded software, possibly new paint shop etc. just food for thought.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Close, but no cheroot. 109 list, 83990 last month (but, more cash from GM last month) 3lz, PERFORMANCE Seats +$2k, Z07 package +8k, AT, purchased by my brother new 3mi on the clock on 3/16.

remember, when the 18's came out in November, GM cut the price of the 17 Z06's by 20% with no dealer cash required in the pot.

so, any 17 z06 out there should, at a minimum, be 20% off. You can't put the genie back in the bottle and raise the '17 discount on z06's below 20% now.

Lastly, the bestest info on buying last years models that I have ever seen from a dealer: Don't buy anything you aren't in love with!

Wow 83k with the zo7 package that's amazing!! Thanks for the advice, do you think 75k is a fair offer, the sticker is 101k?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'd want to be more in the neighborhood of $76,000>$78,000 on a '17 Z06 that was close to the color combo and equipped as I preferred.
its definitely the color combo I like. I. Gonna try and low ball them at 75k.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:36 AM
Sokha
Cruising

Default Here's a copy of the window sticker with options

Options
  • Gas guzzler tax $1,300.00
  • Transmission, 8-speed paddle shift with automatic modes $1,725.00
  • Z06 3LZ Preferred Equipment Group $8,945.00
  • Seats, Competition Sport bucket $1,995.00
  • LPO, Z06 10-spoke blade Black aluminum, 19" x 10" (48.3 cm x 25.4 cm) front and 20" x 12" (50.8 cm x 30.48 cm) rear wheels $3,740.00
  • Roof panel, visible carbon fiber with body-color surround, removable $1,995.00
  • Trim, interior, carbon fiber, instrument panel $995.00
Total Options $20,695.00
MSRP* $101,140.00

do you guys think 75k is a fair offer? I do love the color. And if so how do I validate that offer?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

Does the 20% off include installed options (rims. Zo6 package etc) or just the base price?
Old 04-15-2018, 12:09 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Not sure why kind of incentives GM is offering at the moment. However the dealer can only mark down so much without losing money. I picked up mine last August for about 12.5% off a 99500 MSRP. GM was offering dealers $500 vouchers at the time and could only use a max of 8 for 4K off. Dealer was able to come down another 8k. I was putting dealers against each other at the time so this was the best deal. To put it in perspective I could have saved another 4K on the same car the prior April due to great incentives on the Z07 package. It really comes down to if your looking for the best deal or the car you want. I had a specific build I wanted and wasn't going to risk not finding another one in a 17 model. If GM isn't offering great incentives I don't see the dealer taking that big of a hit on the car. I was looking at a couple 16s at the time and they wanted more for them than I got my 17 for. Hope this helps. You'll love the car and it's a great time of year to enjoy one.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by saleen556
Not sure why kind of incentives GM is offering at the moment. However the dealer can only mark down so much without losing money. I picked up mine last August for about 12.5% off a 99500 MSRP. GM was offering dealers $500 vouchers at the time and could only use a max of 8 for 4K off. Dealer was able to come down another 8k. I was putting dealers against each other at the time so this was the best deal. To put it in perspective I could have saved another 4K on the same car the prior April due to great incentives on the Z07 package. It really comes down to if your looking for the best deal or the car you want. I had a specific build I wanted and wasn't going to risk not finding another one in a 17 model. If GM isn't offering great incentives I don't see the dealer taking that big of a hit on the car. I was looking at a couple 16s at the time and they wanted more for them than I got my 17 for. Hope this helps. You'll love the car and it's a great time of year to enjoy one.
Thanks for the advice. What was your final price?
Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sokha
Thanks for the advice. What was your final price?
$86900 OTD. It was exactly what I was looking for. I knew there would be better deals come Fall and Winter. However with the plant shutting down at the time I was worried about not being able to find one with the same build. I did look a few months ago and there was one left that I was watching that hadn't sold. I could have saved another 3k had I waited. However I had more than 3k in FUN over those months.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by saleen556

$86900 OTD. It was exactly what I was looking for. I knew there would be better deals come Fall and Winter. However with the plant shutting down at the time I was worried about not being able to find one with the same build. I did look a few months ago and there was one left that I was watching that hadn't sold. I could have saved another 3k had I waited. However I had more than 3k in FUN over those months.
awesome and congrats I can't wait to bring one home!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

awesome and congrats I can't wait to bring one home!
I do think that's a pretty nice deal on the car. The Comp seats look great. Those optional wheels are hard to find. I'm guessing someone backed out on the order. I don't think dealers order those for inventory. The CF roof is another great option. Had it on my M3. Really makes it stand out 👍🏻
Old 04-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If the dealer wants to lose $13,000 on that car he will sell it to you for the $75,000 What state are you from?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Out the door pricing for new cars (Corvettes included) are a weird dance for dealerships in most cases. The "great" prices seen at times are due to corporate incentives to the customer and/or the dealership to move cars and regulate inventory. I was fortunate to buy last fall when GM offered a number of incentives I could stack and take advantage of. I wound up right at 20% off MSRP and was the exact car I wanted which was why I bought BUT that same deal is not available today. More importantly, the exact car is no longer available unless I order it as a new '19 or take my chances searching national inventory and pay more. It's all about timing... And a bit of luck if you are "value" shopping a car.

Many times, shoppers will get irritated because someone got a better deal a few months ago on a particular model but can't do the same today. It's not (in most cases) the dealership's fault they can't match a previous price, it's because the corporate customer rebates and dealer hold-backs available on a car are no longer offered. The dealership just can't lose money and keep the lights on and what they have in the car is static. What changes are the corporate incentives used to regulate inventory. For someone to think that a '17 (or whatever) model year vehicles should be XYZ% off is not attuned to what corporate is doing. It may be true that the car may have been available at XYZ% off at one point in time, but that is not gospel setting the new car retail bar at a particular price point. In some cases it gets even more granular where incentives are offered on a particular option package or trim level, it's about corporate monitoring inventory and managing it most times month-to-month. GM may have wanted to move a lot of product last fall, hit their targets and decided that it made financial sense to let any remaining units sit- someone will eventually buy them. The exception comes in where a car has been sitting on the lot forever "eating hay" and they want or need the space on the floorplan. I bought a car for my daughter in this situation- a loaded Sonic RS but with a stick and in a loud color that they couldn't move in the local market and had been in inventory almost a year. The dealership was willing to take a loss on the car, but rolled the loss into my trade by artificially inflating the value (in this case almost $10k on a beat up '98 Tahoe worth maybe $3500) so they could take the loss on their books with the trade. If the trade was really worth anything, they couldn't have made the same deal. I was willing to pay cash for the car, but got a MUCH better deal by trading the old beater. Luck, timing and understanding some of the dynamics.

Bottom line, timing is everything if you're shopping for a deal and a new older model year doesn't "always" equal a smoking deal at a given point in time. If the price you've listed is in your price range and is what you want, it sounds like a great price in today's market (and inventory availability). I'd go for it and good luck!

Allen
Old 04-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Out the door pricing for new cars (Corvettes included) are a weird dance for dealerships in most cases. The "great" prices seen at times are due to corporate incentives to the customer and/or the dealership to move cars and regulate inventory. I was fortunate to buy last fall when GM offered a number of incentives I could stack and take advantage of. I wound up right at 20% off MSRP and was the exact car I wanted which was why I bought BUT that same deal is not available today. More importantly, the exact car is no longer available unless I order it as a new '19 or take my chances searching national inventory and pay more. It's all about timing... And a bit of luck if you are "value" shopping a car.

Many times, shoppers will get irritated because someone got a better deal a few months ago on a particular model but can't do the same today. It's not (in most cases) the dealership's fault they can't match a previous price, it's because the corporate customer rebates and dealer hold-backs available on a car are no longer offered. The dealership just can't lose money and keep the lights on and what they have in the car is static. What changes are the corporate incentives used to regulate inventory. For someone to think that a '17 (or whatever) model year vehicles should be XYZ% off is not attuned to what corporate is doing. It may be true that the car may have been available at XYZ% off at one point in time, but that is not gospel setting the new car retail bar at a particular price point. In some cases it gets even more granular where incentives are offered on a particular option package or trim level, it's about corporate monitoring inventory and managing it most times month-to-month. GM may have wanted to move a lot of product last fall, hit their targets and decided that it made financial sense to let any remaining units sit- someone will eventually buy them. The exception comes in where a car has been sitting on the lot forever "eating hay" and they want or need the space on the floorplan. I bought a car for my daughter in this situation- a loaded Sonic RS but with a stick and in a loud color that they couldn't move in the local market and had been in inventory almost a year. The dealership was willing to take a loss on the car, but rolled the loss into my trade by artificially inflating the value (in this case almost $10k on a beat up '98 Tahoe worth maybe $3500) so they could take the loss on their books with the trade. If the trade was really worth anything, they couldn't have made the same deal. I was willing to pay cash for the car, but got a MUCH better deal by trading the old beater. Luck, timing and understanding some of the dynamics.

Bottom line, timing is everything if you're shopping for a deal and a new older model year doesn't "always" equal a smoking deal at a given point in time. If the price you've listed is in your price range and is what you want, it sounds like a great price in today's market (and inventory availability). I'd go for it and good luck!

Allen
Wow thanks Allen for the awesome and very informative reply. I'm definitely a value shopper in everything I buy so no matter how much I want something I'm not happy unless I feel I've gotten a great deal, which usually leaves me playing the waiting game.
Additionally since this my first Corvette and am not an expert in the model I just don't want to be taken advantage of by a dealership and the last thing I want is to buy a car and hear someone say "I could've gotten you a better deal", then I'd probably hate the car everytime I looked at it.
Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it. Is their a website that discloses current factory incentives/rebates?
Old 04-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
If the dealer wants to lose $13,000 on that car he will sell it to you for the $75,000 What state are you from?
I'm in california

Get notified of new replies

To $84,650 good price on a 2017 Z06 3LZ?

Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

...Is their a website that discloses current factory incentives/rebates?
Not really, other than the GM (Chevy) front facing website. The customer rebates and incentives are publicicized but the dealer incentives (hold-backs) are well guarded for good reason.

Since you are looking at a vehicle locally, I would suggest looking at the online "e-prices" offered by places like Criswell and MacMulkin on similar vehicles. They are above board and show their cards more than most, because they are square-deal outfits. You will be comparing apples-to-oranges in some cases since it's not the exact car but may give you a frame of reference. Their e-prices usually are not really negotiable (much) and tend to include many of the back-end incentives. You could try "sweeteners" locally like service items or dealer breaks like tint or installed accessories. Not worth it to me but always on the table...

With that, don't hang too much on what you may find online since a local dealership will never have the volume as some of the great dealerships here. Your local shop will likely NOT be able to match the same price but may be willing to come close to move the car and works out well for servicing. All about balance...

From the price you posted again, I'd jump on it especially if it's what you want and it's local. Keep in mind, they don't move as much iron as the volume dealers and while they have the same incentives they likely have less margin- and buying local counts for more than most will acknowledge...

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 04-15-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Sokha
Cruising

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Not really, other than the GM (Chevy) front facing website. The customer rebates and incentives are publicicized but the dealer incentives (hold-backs) are well guarded for good reason.

Since you are looking at a vehicle locally, I would suggest looking at the online "e-prices" offered by places like Criswell and MacMulkin on similar vehicles. They are above board and show their cards more than most, because they are square-deal outfits. You will be comparing apples-to-oranges in some cases since it's not the exact car but may give you a frame of reference. Their e-prices usually are not really negotiable (much) and tend to include many of the back-end incentives. You could try "sweeteners" locally like service items or dealer breaks like tint or installed accessories. Not worth it to me but always on the table...

With that, don't hang too much on what you may find online since a local dealership will never have the volume as some of the great dealerships here. Your local shop will likely NOT be able to match the same price but may be willing to come close to move the car and works out well for servicing. All about balance...

From the price you posted again, I'd jump on it especially if it's what you want and it's local. Keep in mind, they don't move as much iron as the volume dealers and while they have the same incentives they likely have less margin- and buying local counts for more than most will acknowledge...

Allen
Again thank you for the insight! Hopefully my cheap butt will pull the trigger on this deal!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Baltimoron
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Current discount for 17 stingrays is 12% plus $4000 off. Not sure if it’s the same for GS and Z06 17s at one of the major forum dealers. Not sure if that’s across the board for GM or not?

Last edited by Baltimoron; 04-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mxl (06-19-2019)

Quick Reply: $84,650 good price on a 2017 Z06 3LZ?